• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby World Cup

I keep rewatching the Bok try, Can't understand if the final pass is thrown from outside the 5 mtr line and the winger catches the ball in the 5 mtr zone, why is it not a forward pass?

I keep rewatching the Bok try, Can't understand if the final pass is thrown from outside the 5 mtr line and the winger catches the ball in the 5 mtr zone, why is it not a forward pass?

It’s not about the direction that the ball eventually ends up, it’s about the direction it’s travelling in as it leaves the hands. Relative velocity and things like that.

It landed (relatively) at least 2 mts forward from where it was passed. I know the rule but it all sounds a bit Boris Johnston to me.

I had doubts we'd get out of the group, but now fancying us to make the semis!

All credit to Gatland, he's very quickly transitioned from an ageing team to a side full of youth and promise!

That was as calm, collected and reassured that I've ever seen us in a big match... Lots of challenges ahead, but, if we don't win it, it won't be because the moment is too big for us - We're a really, really good team.

P.S. So are the Springboks, but my god, they need to sort out that licking game.

I think I've got this right.......

Looking like:

England v Fiji
Wales v Argentina
Ireland v All Blacks
France v South Africa

I don't think you can pick the winners from those games with any certainty at all

That was as calm, collected and reassured that I've ever seen us in a big match... Lots of challenges ahead, but, if we don't win it, it won't be because the moment is too big for us - We're a really, really good team.

P.S. So are the Springboks, but my god, they need to sort out that licking game.

Freudian slip? 😱

Looking like:

England v Fiji
Wales v Argentina
Ireland v All Blacks
France v South Africa

I don't think you can pick the winners from those games with any certainty at all
Yes you can.
Wales and Ireland almost certain.

England, Wales, [refuse to jinx], SA for me. The lopsided draw is denying the tournament of the quality in the semis it deserves. Those bottom half QF ties should be the semis, no disrespect to Wales, England, Argentina and Fiji.

Looking like:

England v Fiji
Wales v Argentina
Ireland v All Blacks
France v South Africa

I think Fiji will cause an upset and kick England out.

Wales will cruise past Argentina.

Ireland will beat NZ by a narrow margin.

France will also go through.

Fiji v France
Wales v Ireland

England, Wales, [refuse to jinx], SA for me. The lopsided draw is denying the tournament of the quality in the semis it deserves. Those bottom half QF ties should be the semis, no disrespect to Wales, England, Argentina and Fiji.

Scotland has really been hard done by.

Scotland has really been hard done by.
Yeah, I mean it is still possible for them to go through, and it is 'in their own hands' but yes, a tall order. The side who missed out in this group is the side who definitely have most to complain about. Scotland currently look like a better side than England and Wales, both of who will likely make the semis.

BTW Holle, how come an Austrian loves his rugby so much?

Yeah, I mean it is still possible for them to go through, and it is 'in their own hands' but yes, a tall order. The side who missed out in this group is the side who definitely have most to complain about. Scotland currently look like a better side than England and Wales, both of who will likely make the semis.

BTW Holle, how come an Austrian loves his rugby so much?

When I was at the university there was some sort of exchange program where students from abroad moved in with local students. So one day a guy from South Africa moved into our apartment with us three Austrian lads. He was an active rugby player and he immediately started to play for the local team in Innsbruck. So naturally we went to their home games and also met him and his team mates for their club evenings at an Irish pub where they also showed rugby games. We watched a bit but most of us didn't really get the hang of it because it was so complicated for the untrained eye. But us all being active ice hockey players we could very well sympathize with the physical nature of the sport.

Anyway, a couple of weeks later the Rugby World Cup 1999 started and this was the first one which was widely broadcasted in German television. And because the match times were quite handy we started to watch at home and Stewart (the saffer) explained everything to us.

This was the time when I really got into it and I've loved the game ever since. I try to go and watch as many matches as possible but there's not really many teams around. But you can watch a fair amount of rugby on TV as the United Rugby Championship, the Top 14, Six Nations or Autumn Internationals are broadcasted on DAZN.

When I was at the university there was some sort of exchange program where students from abroad moved in with local students. So one day a guy from South Africa moved into our apartment with us three Austrian lads. He was an active rugby player and he immediately started to play for the local team in Innsbruck. So naturally we went to their home games and also met him and his team mates for their club evenings at an Irish pub where they also showed rugby games. We watched a bit but most of us didn't really get the hang of it because it was so complicated for the untrained eye. But us all being active ice hockey players we could very well sympathize with the physical nature of the sport.

Anyway, a couple of weeks later the Rugby World Cup 1999 started and this was the first one which was widely broadcasted in German television. And because the match times were quite handy we started to watch at home and Stewart (the saffer) explained everything to us.

This was the time when I really got into it and I've loved the game ever since. I try to go and watch as many matches as possible but there's not really many teams around. But you can watch a fair amount of rugby on TV as the United Rugby Championship, the Top 14, Six Nations or Autumn Internationals are broadcasted on DAZN.
Love this story mate. Great to see that Rugby can find its way into less predictable audiences.

Yeah good story. The British and Irish lads just love drinking each other's piss - rugby is the best way of formalising this pastime.

Karma's a bitch. The British and Irish Lions were once robbed of a series win in S.Africa by a distinctly dodgy refereeing decision which denied Irish (as it happens) flanker Fergus Slattery a try in the final test, which - like the series - ended in a draw as a result. When England won the World Cup Final in Oz in 2003, S.African referee Andre Watson was Australia's sixteenth man and persistently penalised the England forwards for daring to be far stronger and better drilled than their Aussie counterparts who kept collapsing the scrum, outrageously getting penalties from it and knocking the kicks over. Sorry, Avram, but my sympathy is very limited indeed.

Ultimately, it's saying the ref didn't spot things on both sides, all of which probably evened out. The fact is that being great at international rugby is being great at playing on the edge of legality. Everyone knows this. Not sure that's ever going to change whether you go through with a microscope. I think that the best you can hope for that the ref is balanced in what he pings and what he misses. The problem comes with a game like Wales Fiji where the ref appears to be applying the laws inconsistently depending on which team is infringing.

Back
Top Bottom