• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So Bolton.... (match thread FA Cup 4th round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero shots on target, 31% possession and a keeper playing the game of his life does not mean they deserve a replay. You sound like a commentator.

Who had all the possession, all of the shots on target and masses of chances to put it away ? Just because we failed to take those opportunities doesn't mean the opposing team deserve a second chance by default.

Zero shots on target, 31% possession and a keeper playing the game of his life does not mean they deserve a replay. You sound like a commentator.

Who had all the possession, all of the shots on target and masses of chances to put it away ? Just because we failed to take those opportunities doesn't mean the opposing team deserve a second chance by default.
Tbf, it does mean exactly that.

We did similar things on the way to win the European cup.

How you do it doesn't always matter, it's the result that counts.

Possession means nothing, our shots on target didn't come.from any great chances - because of the way they defended.

They didn't do anything to win the game, bit that doesn't mean they don't deserve a draw

Tbf, it does mean exactly that.

We did similar things on the way to win the European cup.

How you do it doesn't always matter, it's the result that counts.

Sorry don't agree FFF. Someone's failing (or in this case a team) doesn't mean that their opponent deserves anything by default .... it just so happens they escaped and get a replay. I find it extremely frustrating when commentators suggest a team deserved their win, or draw, when quite clearly they were inferior however Lady Luck intervened and events went their way.

There were ties in the EC when our fans said the same thing .. we maybe didn't deserve to win the tie but .. hey ho and on we go !

Possession means nothing, our shots on target didn't come.from any great chances - because of the way they defended.

They didn't do anything to win the game, bit that doesn't mean they don't deserve a draw

The 5 quality saves from their keeper obviously mean something. On another day 1 or more would more than likely have found their way to the back of the net .. would that then mean we deserved the win whereas today, because of a fingertip here or there, we didn't ?

And how about their Capt staying on when he would have been off had any decent ref. seen the foul ? Would they then have not deserved to draw ? Or us now have deserved to win (assuming we did) ?

I also think, never mind Sturridge, we would have won if Gerrard played. We had a good number of FKs, corners and balls breaking to midfielders at the edge of the box, and the execution in each case was fucking crap. I think that was exactly the sort of game where Gerrard would provide a finish or play someone in.

The 5 quality saves from their keeper obviously mean something. On another day 1 or more would more than likely have found their way to the back of the net .. would that then mean we deserved the win whereas today, because of a fingertip here or there, we didn't ?

And how about their Capt staying on when he would have been off had any decent ref. seen the foul ? Would they then have not deserved to draw ? Or us now have deserved to win (assuming we did) ?

I agree with you entirely. When talking about "deserving" something, the result is completely irrelevant. Any team can win a game 1-0 and absolutely not deserve it. We've done it plenty of times.

It's cringeworthy, FFF.
But for the most part, the U.S. broadcasters realize this and try (most of the time) to have at least one U.K./Irish commentator.
Oh yeah, the match commentary was relatively decent.

It was the half time stuff that was cringeworthy.

So couldn't have some fucker established that Balotelli wasn't the pressing kind before we spunked 16 million on him?

Exactly. It's almost as good as saying how he's marvellous as part of a front pairing, to then persist on playing him alone upfront. Genius

A word on Lallana today. It's games like these he needs to step up and take control of - disappointed in him as with others

It's cringeworthy, FFF.
But for the most part, the U.S. broadcasters realize this and try (most of the time) to have at least one U.K./Irish commentator.

If Fox do the coverage then it is usually shit, however, NBC do a decent job I feel. Arlo White is the commentator and he is pretty good with his side kick being Lee Dixon most of the time I think….both do a good job

A word on Lallana today. It's games like these he needs to step up and take control of - disappointed in him as with others

Lallana was trying to overcomplicate things today - too many touches, trying to be too clever.

Coutinho was the same.

Johnson.... just looks like he needs to sit down with a cup of tea and ponder his options for a while every time he gets the ball.

It's like, "ah-ha, yes, the ball.... at my feet.... ah-ha.... now.... where should I pass it... ah-ha ... hmmmmm.... maybe this way..... ah-ha.... too late..... Oh wait..... Mingolet's not being marked..... perfect".

As right as I was about Can at CB, I must admit I might have been wrong about Markovic. The kid's pace and strength when he's running at defenders with the ball at his feet are a sight to behold. He just needs to pick his options better, which will come as he matures, then he could be an absolute star.

Even the brief highlights on MOTD this morning were a reminder of how poor the referee was. When you have retired refs like Poll and Hackett openly criticising the standard nowadays you know there's a problem.

That said, we had the chances anyway, which is why I for one am not sold on the idea that Stevie was the key absentee. IMO what we lacked, as we have practically all season, was a true focal point of the attack. Our overall form has improved big style but we risk not being able to make it count without the right point man up there leading the line. Signing or not signing one this month could make all the difference in terms of CL qualification.

I thought it was a good performance with many encouraging signs (Markovic, Can etc) I don't really like focusing on negatives but Sakho really was a worry. He might be able to attack the ball with gusto in the air but on the deck he's fucking shocking and a massive liability. Slow, indecisive and every pass he makes looks laboured. Gary Mac commented on it a few times during commentary. I suppose a clean sheet means that it will get overlooked. Did anyone else think the same?

He's a shithouse Jon.
I thought he did really well yesterday, his first game back & playing in a position I really don't think suits him.

He tended to wander too far up the pitch, but then I expected that cos he's spent years playing as a rwb who can do that.

I thought it was a good performance with many encouraging signs (Markovic, Can etc) I don't really like focusing on negatives but Sakho really was a worry. He might be able to attack the ball with gusto in the air but on the deck he's fucking shocking and a massive liability. Slow, indecisive and every pass he makes looks laboured. Gary Mac commented on it a few times during commentary. I suppose a clean sheet means that it will get overlooked. Did anyone else think the same?
Yes, this is exactly the point about Sakho. There's a cracking CB in there somewhere and he has all the attributes. I do think he's looking less nervy as the partnership with Can develops. On the subject of which, did anyone else notice that time and again yesterday Can was the last/deepest man giving Sakho licence to press a little higher up the pitch.

Sakho has been our best defender for several games now. His passing is great aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom