• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer Clear Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this stage of his career he should really consider it, he and Thiago both. What are they gonna hang around at Liverpool for? Bench warm?

At this stage of his career he should really consider it, he and Thiago both. What are they gonna hang around at Liverpool for? Bench warm?
Here's the issue, Journos have said we need to sell to buy ie the kitty is empty. Now if we were to sell Thiago (its Turkish Clubs that have shown the greatest interest) and Hendo, what could we realistically get? The decent Free Agents have all gone. So sell them and get no one or keep them and let them go free or very cheap next year, I choose to keep them. Besides there's load's of game time between the league, domestic and European cups
If we reach the final of the Europa Cup, that's 16 games
League 38 games
I think 8 games FA and I don't know how many in the league cup

Last edited:
Henderson will play a lot, although his time will probably be managed as it was last year, possibly more so. I doubt he'll play too many full games, but he'll feature in most games.

Less sure about Thiago now.

Here's the issue, Journos have said we need to sell to buy ie the kitty is empty. Now if we were to sell Thiago (its Turkish Clubs that have shown the greatest interest) and Hendo, what could we realistically get? The decent Free Agents have all gone. So sell them and get no one or keep them and let them go free or very cheap next year, I choose to keep them. Besides there's load's of game time between the league, domestic and European cups
If we reach the final of the Europa Cup, that's 16 games
League 38 games
I think 8 games FA and I don't know how many in the league

Hendo is painful to watch in all honesty, even if we get 10m for him we should drive him to the airport.

Reckon we could get similar for Thiago, really not worth keeping around the deadwood.

I think hendo will come back better this year. Everyone was physically and mentally burnt out last year

12 years, about time we moved on from him now no? Change of scenery would be good for him as well. Nothing really left for him to achieve here, he's reached the pinnacle any player could dream of and for us we've seen the best & worst of him umpteen times over.

Hendo is painful to watch in all honesty, even if we get 10m for him we should drive him to the airport.

Reckon we could get similar for Thiago, really not worth keeping around the deadwood.
Everyone was painful to watch, last season.

Steven Gerrard’s Saudi club Al-Etfifaq are keen to bring in Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson.

Do us a favour Steve and take that cunt usless Joe Gomez with you as well

Steven Gerrard’s Saudi club Al-Etfifaq are keen to bring in Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson.

Do us a favour Steve and take that cunt usless Joe Gomez with you as well
I'm don't think he is a cunt but I do welcome his departure as long as we get a replacement. Newcastle in for KWP for £12m, as back-up to Trent surely worth a punt especially if Gomez goes

I'm don't think he is a cunt but I do welcome his departure as long as we get a replacement. Newcastle in for KWP for £12m, as back-up to Trent surely worth a punt especially if Gomez goes

A RB wouldn’t be what we need if we sell Gomez - we’d need at least a CB, fast, Homegrown, better than Gomez, cheaper and ideally could fill in at RB & LB as well if need be.

Technically, for Europe, Gomez ticks the Club trained box as well - so there’s that too - which isn’t easily replaced.

A RB wouldn’t be what we need if we sell Gomez - we’d need at least a CB, fast, Homegrown, better than Gomez, cheaper and ideally could fill in at RB & LB as well if need be.

Technically, for Europe, Gomez ticks the Club trained box as well - so there’s that too - which isn’t easily replaced.
Let's say even though it's highly unlikely, Gomez is sold, who is the RB cover? I think Gomez is worth about £30m. So even if you bought KWP, you'd still have £18m left over. Add another £10m from somewhere you get Castello Lukebe

I think if Klopp was seriously considering playing Trent in a midfield role then we would've signed a RB by now. He will still be responsible for covering that area when we're defending though will be interesting to see what Klopp does if Trent gets injured.

Flat back 4 with Gomez or Bradley?

I think we might need a RB even if we keep Gomez around. We loaned our only natural RB to Preston.
Edit I forgot Bradley, but isn't he more of a winger now?
Defending wasn't really his strongest attribute.

WTF! You want Hendo? Captain of LFC? £50m and not a penny less. OK you drive a hard bargain, £40m it is.

I think if Klopp was seriously considering playing Trent in a midfield role then we would've signed a RB by now. He will still be responsible for covering that area when we're defending though will be interesting to see what Klopp does if Trent gets injured.

Flat back 4 with Gomez or Bradley?

You’ve got to look at how Klopp evolved the system.

In Klopp’s system - I presume, if you play with a number 9 (ie Nunez), then you’re looking for the wide forwards (Diaz & Nunez) to provide width with the two AM’s attacking the half space - which means the FB’s getting forward isn’t as critical - works great if we want to close off a game and be more compact.

If we play with a False 9 (Gakpo), then it’s essential that the wide forwards (Salah & Jota) invert and run into the central space from wide - to do that effectively - someone needs to do overlapping runs.

That used to be the way it worked with width and assists all going through the 2 FB’s - Trent & Robbo - complemented by the likes of Hendo & Gini sitting in midfield and protecting the space behind the advanced FB’s. The counter is to pack the defence & sit deep.

Klopp’s response was to swap Gini & Hendo for more attack minded players - Thiago, Keita & Harvey or Hendo with a bit more license to attack - to joint the FB’s. The counter was to ping long balls in behind the space vacated by the FB’s and advanced midfielders.

Klopps response to that was to have Trent move inside more to find space to be a playmaker from deep, while Robbo still bombed forward to attack because Thiago isn’t great at overlapping - that isolated Fabs & when the CB came over to cover the space behind Trent - it left a huge gap between the 2 CB’s which teams exploited.

Klopp’s response was to get Robbo to hold a more defensive position, moving to a 3 at the back & utilise Curtis to provide width on the left.

So, we’ve signed 2 midfielders that can operate wide and through the half space with a False 9 to allow inverted wingers to run towards the central area and Trent to sit beside Fabs in a deep playmaker role.

Lavia makes sense because he can either sit beside Trent and act as a second deep lying playmaker or replace Trent in the event Trent is injured.

All the CB’s we’ve been linked to make sense because they’re not only all potential long term Virgil replacements l, but capable of playing a hybrid left CB - LB role with us switching between a 3 and 4 at the back.

If we, for example sign Colwil - I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of Robbo or Tsimikas allowed to leave if a suitable offer came in.

That’s what I think we’re up to next season - we have the tactical flexibility to go 343, 433, 4231, we can play box, diamond or triangle midfields and we can play with it without a false 9.

Personally, I don’t think we’ve been more flexible in terms of tactics - it boils down to whether the coaches can pull it all together preseason.

For me there’s 4 main critical factors to this season being a success or failure :

1. Can we get Salah the space to deliver the sort of results he achieved in the second half of the season - that’ll deliver 20+ goals & 12+ assists in the league as a minimum.

2. Can we get Trent the space & time to be our playmaker - that means deep playmaker where it’s hard to mark him and also covering behind him effectively.

3. Can we get our forward press working again - if not then everything will fall apart.

4. Can we tighten the space between of CB’s.

There are a few sub-issues, mainly around how individual players perform, but while important are not, in my opinion, absolutely critical (like, or season doesn’t hinge on Nunez being a success).

I think it's naive to assume we have sorted out that TAA problem. The fact is, we have not tested it against anyone good nor important. Even City struggled at times with their's. It's not too long ago when we lose the ball playing a 4-3-3, we have Trent in no man's land, and Konate running around like a mad man trying to cover 2 or 3 attackers on our right.

You don't simply solve a defensive problem by giving your problematic defender less defensive duties.

I think it's naive to assume we have sorted out that TAA problem. The fact is, we have not tested it against anyone good nor important. Even City struggled at times with their's. It's not too long ago when we lose the ball playing a 4-3-3, we have Trent in no man's land, and Konate running around like a mad man trying to cover 2 or 3 attackers on our right.

You don't simply solve a defensive problem by giving your problematic defender less defensive duties.

I agree - you fix it by sorting your defensive structure out on the training ground - which I presume is what we’ll do.

It needs the LB to hold back and drop into a left sided CB position allowing Virgil to move central and marshal the defence from there with the right CB covering wide.

We didn’t do it effectively last season until late on.

Before that, with Thiago, he wasn’t providing width, so the LB had to get up the pitch - Curtis coming in changed that.

Mac - in that role is called able of providing the sort of width we need - Curtis too.

Thats’s why we could sell Thiago on - he’s experienced, but he’s more of a sitting MF’er rather than one who can operate out wide.

In theory, he could also sit deep beside Fabs and play in the Trent role if he were to be injured and we wanted to vary things a little.

Are we being too negative?

Clearly the esquad needs some sorting.

But we only lost one game in the last 17 since Feb 13.

So 13 wins, 3 draws and 1 win. - Isn't that something approaching title winning form?

The other risk is that if Konate is out, the TAA experiment is over. In theory Gomez can cover… in practice however…

Apparently we're linked to Schuurs, who can play left and right sided CB. Hopefully he'd work quite well; esecially coming from Ten Hags fluid Ajax side

Noticed he wasn't in any of the training clips on the 2nd day, good move for all parties I'd say.

£10m coming our way? Tyler Adams coming our way in exchange?

Bidding war!!!!

Now we're starting to get the ball rolling.

Hendo - 10m
Thiago - 10m
Nat - 10m
Sepp - 6-7m

Hopefully we can move Kelleher on before window shuts too and get 15-20m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom