• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Title Race

When team's park the bus against city, they lose.

We need Brentford to do similar to their game against us, and ensure that when they do get a chance to break, that they do it with intent. Let's hope Toney & Maupay link up better than they did at the weekend.
Well I meant park the bus and counter.

In the league of course it is. No one cares we lost to City or Arsenal the season we won the league do they? The games we won ended up bring of equal importance. To fans it matters more to win the bigger games sure, there’s more satisfaction from that. But in terms of importance all that matters is you win enough games.
FFS put your brain into gear. Clearly I'm talking about this season - I even listed the matches for you. * massive eye roll *

FFS put your brain into gear. Clearly I'm talking about this season - I even listed the matches for you. * massive eye roll *
FFS what do you want Froggy, my brain is a bit mangled from having to ready yet another Liverpool related injury. LEAVE ME ALONE.

As I've been saying all season - this is not the City of last season or the past 5 years. They've lost too many top players without replacing (most of) them with equal or better players. They may still win it - but they are not the team that rolled over everyone before.

Compared to the last 5 seasons : they are not creating as many chances, despite lots of shots (5 behind us on GD at present - 1 game in hand). Some teams will still fold of course but there are now more that feel they can get something out of them because defensively City clearly have issues there as well. This is highlighted by their results against the other Top 6 teams.

The odds have changed dramatically over the past month - we were more like 5/1, Arsenal 8/1 and City 1/3 or 1/4 on.

Screenshot-2024-02-20-at-12-17-33.png

13 games left statically we are looking to win 11 and drop points in two games, which will give us 90 points

As I've been saying all season - this is not the City of last season or the past 5 years. They've lost too many top players without replacing (most of) them with equal or better players. They may still win it - but they are not the team that rolled over everyone before.

Compared to the last 5 seasons : they are not creating as many chances, despite lots of shots (5 behind us on GD at present - 1 game in hand). Some teams will still fold of course but there are now more that feel they can get something out of them because defensively City clearly have issues there as well. This is highlighted by their results against the other Top 6 teams.

The odds have changed dramatically over the past month - we were more like 5/1, Arsenal 8/1 and City 1/3 or 1/4 on.

Screenshot-2024-02-20-at-12-17-33.png
Someone is a Steve Nicol fan...

It's too tight to call, IMO, but we have as good a chance as any. There are no levels between all three of us this season.

I agree that City are not what they were. Their defense is not as good at negating the counter, and some of the attacking interplay has dropped off. It's only the tiniest of margins, but it brings them down to a side that can be toppled. As we saw against Chelsea, if Haaland has an off day, and a team defends well then it's game on for the midtable sides and above. The blueprint is there. Arsenal are simply better than most would care to admit, and there's likely more potential to extract from the squad. We should not underestimate how much last year would have taught them and focused them. There's a long and established track record of clubs coming very close to winning a title before making the next leap. This is not to say they will do it this year, but I'm not expecting the 'bottle job' drop-off that many are. They have looked in very good shape in recent weeks and their attack is clicking.

As for us, we have a tricky period where we must rely on the squad options to keep the machine ticking over. Gravenberch simply has to improve off the ball and fight hard enough to establish enough control to justify what we bring on the ball. A few goals here or there can decide the title and he needs to wise up to this. This is not the standard title stroll he experienced for Ajax and Bayern. Diaz and Gakpo also have to step up their threat and numbers in Jota's absence. They can no longer be happy to be part of a supporting cast. We need them to get in the box and score when we need them to. As for the rest of the absences I'm not too concerned. I would hope Allison and Szobo should be back for City and Kelleher, Mac Allister and Elliott are doing a decent job in the meantime, Bradley continues to be brilliant, and the main in Salah is back and looking sharp. What gives me confidence, despite the injuries, is that not one single player has let us down this season. The machine has been ticking over despite all the doubt and frequent panic from fans. Klopp and the players warrant a degree of faith that they can stay there.

Last edited:
The more I play it over in my mind the more I think injuries will stop us. We needed Mo and Nunez to be fit for every game to stand a chance and it was a good chance. Without them I don't see how can rack up enough wins.

The more I play it over in my mind the more I think injuries will stop us. We needed Mo and Nunez to be fit for every game to stand a chance and it was a good chance. Without them I don't see how can rack up enough wins.

Gakpo & Diaz have to hit some form.

If Gakpo gets regular starts, he’s perfectly capable of going on a hot scoring streak.

If Gakpo gets regular starts, he’s perfectly capable of going on a hot scoring streak.
They do but I don't see either having the wherewithal to create these opportunities for themselves to get on the end of.

It's too hopeful to say Gakpo can come in and conveniently replace the goals of Darwin and Jota (which we'll need him to fire straight away btw as our season can quickly turn from sweet to sour)......he has very little rhythm. 2 goals in his last 660mins of football in the league. Like Diaz a lot but he's blown hot and cold far too often this season.

Then we got the torture of having to see Harvey (a guy with 1 goal this season and hasn't started a league game this season) come in to pick up the pieces of Mo. You couldn't find a bigger disruption in world football if you tried.

Think this is the crux of it really. Losing Jota is a huge blow; I'm hopeful one for these two steps up

They do but I don't see either having the wherewithal to create these opportunities for themselves to get on the end of.

It's too hopeful to say Gakpo can come in and conveniently replace the goals of Darwin and Jota (which we'll need him to fire straight away btw as our season can quickly turn from sweet to sour)......he has very little rhythm. 2 goals in his last 660mins of football in the league. Like Diaz a lot but he's blown hot and cold far too often this season.

Then we got the torture of having to see Harvey (a guy with 1 goal this season and hasn't started a league game this season) come in to pick up the pieces of Mo. You couldn't find a bigger disruption in world football if you tried.

Drama Queen much?

Is Salah injured again or something? Why are we talking like he won't start tomorrow? Or are we just assuming he won't start cos he's only recently back? I'm confused.

Is there any indication yet that Nunez won't be fit for the final? Or even tomorrow?

Time will tell, starting tomorrow night.

Besides - what you just wrote about Harvey and Gakpo isnt’t correct.

Harvey has started a couple of league games and Gakpo has scored 2 goals in his last 185 minutes.

Gakpo won’t cover Nunez & Jota’s goals… he might cover Nunez goals - Gakpo has started more than 2 consecutive league games since the start of the season when he was in midfield.

Is Salah injured again or something? Why are we talking like he won't start tomorrow? Or are we just assuming he won't start cos he's only recently back? I'm confused.

Is there any indication yet that Nunez won't be fit for the final? Or even tomorrow?

Some Egyptian journo said he'd re injured his hammy vs Brentford.

Hasn't been confirmed.

Liverpool are the first Premier League team to have FOUR players with 10+ goals across all competitions this season:

◉ 19 - Mohamed Salah⁠
◉ 14 - Diogo Jota⁠
◉ 13 - Darwin Núñez⁠
◉ 10 - Cody Gakpo⁠
And Luis Diáz is on nine.
⏳

Real Madrid are the only other team from Europe's top seven divisions with four players in double figures.
👏

KDB injured

Kevin De Bruyne suffers Man City injury setback with Manchester United and Liverpool FC on horizon​

Kevin De Bruyne was an unused substitute for Manchester City in their Premier League win over Brentford at the Etihad Stadium.

SPORT
By
Joe BrayManchester City writer
  • 22:21, 20 FEB 2024
  • UPDATED22:33, 20 FEB 2024
Manchester City's Belgian midfielder #17 Kevin De Bruyne sits in the stands during the English Premier League football match between Manchester City and Brentford at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, north west England, on February 20, 2024. (Photo by Paul ELLIS / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No video emulation. Social media in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No use in betting publications, games or single club/league/player publications. / (Photo by PAUL ELLIS/AFP via Getty Images)

Get the latest City team news, transfer stories, match updates and analysis delivered straight to your inbox - FREE
More Newsletters
Subscribe
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. More info
var brandingClass = useCustomForm ? '' : 'publication-theme-button'

Kevin De Bruyne did not play for Manchester City against Brentford due to a hamstring issue, Pep Guardiola has revealed.
De Bruyne was dropped to the bench for the visit of Brentford, but did not emerge before the game to warm up with the other substitutes. He did not take part in any warm-ups during the 90 minutes as he remained on the City bench throughout.
Guardiola has spoken about some players lacking rhythm, and also managing the fitness of those players returning from injury, with De Bruyne recently admitting he is still not back to full fitness following his four-month lay-off. Before the Brentford game, he had started four of the previous five matches and come off the bench in the three previous outings as he excelled on his return from injury.
ALSO READ: Man City player ratings vs Brentford as Erling Haaland the hero

ALSO READ: Pep Guardiola theatrics add to tension as Man City close on Liverpool

And Guardiola confirmed that he took no risks with De Bruyne after he picked up a hamstring problem.

"We did not use Kevin today because he has niggles in his hamstring position," the manager confirmed. "He's okay. It's more caution and prevention than anything. He didn't feel comfortable and the doctors said there was a little bit of risk. After five months off, we did not take any risk with that."
City face Bournemouth on Saturday before an FA Cup trip to Luton next week. After that, they begin a run of fixtures against Manchester United, Copenhagen, Liverpool, Brighton, Arsenal and Aston Villa.
The Blues welcomed back John Stones and Bernardo Silva after their respective rests against Chelsea, with Jack Grealish and Josko Gvardiol still a week or two away from returning. Grealish has muscular issues, while Gvardiol has ankle ligament issues.

KDB injured

Kevin De Bruyne suffers Man City injury setback with Manchester United and Liverpool FC on horizon​

Kevin De Bruyne was an unused substitute for Manchester City in their Premier League win over Brentford at the Etihad Stadium.

SPORT
By
Joe BrayManchester City writer
  • 22:21, 20 FEB 2024
  • UPDATED22:33, 20 FEB 2024
Manchester City's Belgian midfielder #17 Kevin De Bruyne sits in the stands during the English Premier League football match between Manchester City and Brentford at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, north west England, on February 20, 2024. (Photo by Paul ELLIS / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No video emulation. Social media in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No use in betting publications, games or single club/league/player publications. / (Photo by PAUL ELLIS/AFP via Getty Images)'s Belgian midfielder #17 Kevin De Bruyne sits in the stands during the English Premier League football match between Manchester City and Brentford at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, north west England, on February 20, 2024. (Photo by Paul ELLIS / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No video emulation. Social media in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No use in betting publications, games or single club/league/player publications. / (Photo by PAUL ELLIS/AFP via Getty Images)

Get the latest City team news, transfer stories, match updates and analysis delivered straight to your inbox - FREE
More Newsletters
Subscribe
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. More info
var brandingClass = useCustomForm ? '' : 'publication-theme-button'

Kevin De Bruyne did not play for Manchester City against Brentford due to a hamstring issue, Pep Guardiola has revealed.
De Bruyne was dropped to the bench for the visit of Brentford, but did not emerge before the game to warm up with the other substitutes. He did not take part in any warm-ups during the 90 minutes as he remained on the City bench throughout.
Guardiola has spoken about some players lacking rhythm, and also managing the fitness of those players returning from injury, with De Bruyne recently admitting he is still not back to full fitness following his four-month lay-off. Before the Brentford game, he had started four of the previous five matches and come off the bench in the three previous outings as he excelled on his return from injury.
ALSO READ: Man City player ratings vs Brentford as Erling Haaland the hero

ALSO READ: Pep Guardiola theatrics add to tension as Man City close on Liverpool

And Guardiola confirmed that he took no risks with De Bruyne after he picked up a hamstring problem.

"We did not use Kevin today because he has niggles in his hamstring position," the manager confirmed. "He's okay. It's more caution and prevention than anything. He didn't feel comfortable and the doctors said there was a little bit of risk. After five months off, we did not take any risk with that."
City face Bournemouth on Saturday before an FA Cup trip to Luton next week. After that, they begin a run of fixtures against Manchester United, Copenhagen, Liverpool, Brighton, Arsenal and Aston Villa.
The Blues welcomed back John Stones and Bernardo Silva after their respective rests against Chelsea, with Jack Grealish and Josko Gvardiol still a week or two away from returning. Grealish has muscular issues, while Gvardiol has ankle ligament issues.
A nice tough run coming up for City in the PL. It would help if KdB were missing and if Rodri went down too then Arsenal and ourselves can pull away until the Arse lose at City!

If we somehow pick up maximum points before we play City at home, then we can’t ask for much more.

It’ll feel a bit like title deciding games of the past except this time we are home vs away.

First time taking a peak at RedCafe for a while and they have a thread titled 'Liverpool will win the league', up since December. The usual haters and downplayers of course but a surprising number saying we could / will do it.

Here's a couple of quotes I found interesting / funny retrospectively as it transpires:

They won't win it. Midfield not good enough. One injury to any one of Alisson, Trent, VVD or Salah and they'll disintegrate. Stop being pathetic.

They look very good. Attacking, high tempo, desire, mentality....they have it all and no point denying that. Unlike them towards us, United fans have no problem saying positive things about Pool. Why deny the truth?

I think they will win it because City don't have their usual consistency and to be frank I no longer care if they match or surpass our 20 because we are so far from that table to do anything about it. If anyone wins it at least let it be a club who have gone about it the proper way not cheated their way into the history books.

We have finally become Pool of the 90's
Except we're much worse.

Liverpool winning is hell as a United fan but city exemplify everything that's wrong with football today, every single one of their triumphs makes me lose faith in the game just a tad more.

That match in Anfield puts in more in Liverpool hands given they record at home and that includes against City.

Liverpool lost the league when Tsimikas broke his collarbone. Gomez at LB is a liability.

I would rather the scousers get a 20th than a city second treble.
Liverpool will only match us. City will overtake us with 2 trebles and 4 PL in a row which no other team has ever done.

I still think City but watching Liverpool last night without Salah and Trent and witnessing how everyone is together working for each other I couldn’t help but be angrily impressed.

Teams don't tend to win the league losing key players in every position of the pitch during the run in so I think it's a bridge too far to win the thing.

McAllister has made liverpool tick this year, while we bought Mount

They've barely got any tough fixtures left apart from City at home and Villa away (when it might already be won).

It feels inevitable to be honest. They play City in a few weeks, don't they? I can see them winning that : With half of their team out I don't they're favorites vs City. : At home and against a labouring City, I think they smash them unfortunately.

12 games to go. Can't see them losing any of them.

Momentum is everything, they won’t lose again in the league this season. I think they’ll embarrass City.

First time taking a peak at RedCafe for a while and they have a thread titled 'Liverpool will win the league', up since December. The usual haters and downplayers of course but a surprising number saying we could / will do it.

Here's a couple of quotes I found interesting / funny retrospectively as it transpires:

They won't win it. Midfield not good enough. One injury to any one of Alisson, Trent, VVD or Salah and they'll disintegrate. Stop being pathetic.

They look very good. Attacking, high tempo, desire, mentality....they have it all and no point denying that. Unlike them towards us, United fans have no problem saying positive things about Pool. Why deny the truth?

I think they will win it because City don't have their usual consistency and to be frank I no longer care if they match or surpass our 20 because we are so far from that table to do anything about it. If anyone wins it at least let it be a club who have gone about it the proper way not cheated their way into the history books.

Except we're much worse.

Liverpool winning is hell as a United fan but city exemplify everything that's wrong with football today, every single one of their triumphs makes me lose faith in the game just a tad more.

That match in Anfield puts in more in Liverpool hands given they record at home and that includes against City.

Liverpool lost the league when Tsimikas broke his collarbone. Gomez at LB is a liability.

Liverpool will only match us. City will overtake us with 2 trebles and 4 PL in a row which no other team has ever done.

I still think City but watching Liverpool last night without Salah and Trent and witnessing how everyone is together working for each other I couldn’t help but be angrily impressed.

Teams don't tend to win the league losing key players in every position of the pitch during the run in so I think it's a bridge too far to win the thing.

They've barely got any tough fixtures left apart from City at home and Villa away (when it might already be won).

It feels inevitable to be honest. They play City in a few weeks, don't they? I can see them winning that : With half of their team out I don't they're favorites vs City. : At home and against a labouring City, I think they smash them unfortunately.

Momentum is everything, they won’t lose again in the league this season. I think they’ll embarrass City.
Great summery

This was interesting - from an Arse fan after Porto :

The squad still lacks quality in depth and it shows when they have to play 3 games a week, players looked wrecked and tired. Arteta doesn’t seem to trust too many past his first choice 14/15 players.

I've tidied up his spelling and grammar - guessing non-native speaker.

Except we're much worse.

That's an awful lot more sensible than I would have expected. My expectations of United fans are impossibly low though

If we somehow pick up maximum points before we play City at home, then we can’t ask for much more.

It’ll feel a bit like title deciding games of the past except this time we are home vs away.
Sounds like you’re starting to change your tune.

Back
Top Bottom