• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Villa - post match

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Rodgers doesn't get the "stubborn manager syndrome" that we have seen so much at Anfield. Everyone can see what is wrong but the manager refuses to do anything to address it.

He already has it.

Lucas or Allen. Both are more mobile and will operate between 18yd and 18yd, not between 18yd and 32yd.
Gerrards entire M.O now is drop deeper than the centre backs, pick up the ball off either CB or Mignolet and hit aimless optimistic diagonal ball to already marked wide FB.
Its doing my fucking nut in.
We have become utter shit through the middle. All that job role should be is sit in FRONT of the back 4 break up play and give it to someone with legs.

I have a real concern that Mr Rodgers is going to try to crowbar too many of his pacy AM types into the team and fuck up our entire dynamic.

We needed to sign a DM and we didnt so now we need to either play Lucas as a DM or play Allen AND Can deeper and just Henderson behind the front three.
Gerrard on hi own there is a fucking mess.

Gerrards entire M.O now is drop deeper than the centre backs, pick up the ball off either CB or Mignolet and hit aimless optimistic diagonal ball to already marked wide FB.
So you would rather see somebody else do exactly the same thing? Gerrard is doing what he is asked to do.

Those diagonal balls yesterday were doing my nut in, it wasn't just Gerrard though, Lovren and Henderson were equally wasteful with long passes from deep. We really lacked someone getting in behind them yesterday, getting to byline and playing it across (on the deck), I guess that's where Sterling would have come in.

There will be plenty of times this season when you'll be so thankful Gerrard is in the side. A huge amount of thought needs to go into how best, at this stage in his career, to use him, but he's still a very, very clever player with superb technique and a brilliance under pressure. I've criticised him loads of times, of course, but only when I've felt he's merited it. My respect for him is immense and always will be. I don't agree he deserved anything like the flak he got yesterday. Most of his decisions were right. Once again, however, everything around him was so painfully slow it frustrated what good actions he made. I'd prefer him further up, with Allen behind him, but I'm a bit alarmed at the way Gerrard is already being dismissed. You don't just throw away a talent like him. We need a side with wit, and, in football terms, he's probably as smart as we've got. Use it, don't waste it.

So you would rather see somebody else do exactly the same thing? Gerrard is doing what he is asked to do.

He is, but the point with playing someone like Allen is that we'll build from the back with shorter play, instead of trying to force it. I don't exactly think Lucas or Allen are the answer, but what's the alternative?

There will be plenty of times this season when you'll be so thankful Gerrard is in the side. A huge amount of thought needs to go into how best, at this stage in his career, to use him, but he's still a very, very clever player with superb technique and a brilliance under pressure. I've criticised him loads of times, of course, but only when I've felt he's merited it. My respect for him is immense and always will be. I don't agree he deserved anything like the flak he got yesterday. Most of his decisions were right. Once again, however, everything around him was so painfully slow it frustrated what good actions he made. I'd prefer him further up, with Allen behind him, but I'm a bit alarmed at the way Gerrard is already being dismissed. You don't just throw away a talent like him. We need a side with wit, and, in football terms, he's probably as smart as we've got. Use it, don't waste it.

He probably could play off the striker (but we have a tonne of players that can), he's been shoehorned into this role and it's frustrating viewing. You're right though, he's worth it for his setpieces and technical nous, but we need to find a way of utilising it AND preserving his ability to play games and be at his most effective.

The phrase old dog, new tricks, comes to mind. Just use him for what he's good at and in a position where you get the best from him. It's a waste of his and our time playing him deep, because he's too impulsive and lacks the patience and discipline to control the play. However much physical ability he might have lost, his mind is still telling him to drive the team forward and make things happen. He's direct, while the rest of the team is tailored to build with short passing play.

Yes. He's a fluid player, suited to fluid formations, and further forward there's no side more fluid. (Is that enough 'fluids'??) I'd tell him to fill whatever space is created, or left, by Sturridge, Sterling and Markovic. That would be ridiculously too vague and baffling to most players but I think he'd thrive doing it. He's one of the ultimate 'where the feck is he now?' players.

I'd rather have Gerrard at DM than Allen. Sorry, but Allen can't play DM.
We've seen it before when we tried to replace Lucas.

Gerrard occupies the DM role simply because the manager wrongly believes that when a player reaches a certain age he can only drop back. Absolute bollocks. Gerrard would be superb behind the front two but...and on this I completely disagree with Macca...he lacks the wit to play DM.

I'd play Allen, Can and Lucas before Gerrard right now.

Gerrard occupies the DM role simply because the manager wrongly believes that when a player reaches a certain age he can only drop back. Absolute bollocks. Gerrard would be superb behind the front two but...and on this I completely disagree with Macca...he lacks the wit to play DM.

I think you're right and I'm wrong at this stage. I do think he's smart enough to learn it eventually, but I don't think we can afford that amount of time. Play him further up the pitch. Ideally I'd also take the captaincy off him and tell him to go out and worry less and enjoy himself more, but that wouldn't work emotionally as he seems to need that title, so I'd just urge him to be expansive and attack-minded.

I have no problem at all with Gerrard in the team. Just not where he is right now.
If we played a diamond with Lucas deep, Henderson and Allen in the middle and Gerrard in the 10 role I have no problem. Sterling and Lallana/Coutinho wide of Balo.
But this shit is making me wanna kill myself.

I'd rather have Gerrard at DM than Allen. Sorry, but Allen can't play DM.
We've seen it before when we tried to replace Lucas.

The thought of Lucas getting ahead of any of Allen, Gerrard, Hendo, Can or Coutinho into the side in any position makes me throw upinside my mouth.

I hope he never plays for us. He is the Roy Hodgson of football player. A cunt with no ambition. Only a cunt poster could want him to play for us. I dont understand how Modo is gagging for Lucas to strutt his stuff so we can finish 7th again.....all this after witnessing last season. Are you thick Modo?

Gerrard will never play the number 10 role again. Hes geting older and playing deeper came naturally, we've seen this in the past with some players.
Matthaeus comes to mind who even finished his career as a CB.
Gerrard was very good in his new role last season and will keep playing there again this term.
Rightly so, he was once again our best player yesterday.

I have no problem at all with Gerrard in the team. Just not where he is right now.
If we played a diamond with Lucas deep, Henderson and Allen in the middle and Gerrard in the 10 role I have no problem. Sterling and Lallana/Coutinho wide of Balo.
But this shit is making me wanna kill myself.
that's a 4-4-3...12players

The thought of Lucas getting ahead of any of Allen, Gerrard, Hendo, Can or Coutinho into the side in any position makes me throw upinside my mouth.

I hope he never plays for us. He is the Roy Hodgson of football player. A cunt with no ambition. Only a cunt poster could want him to play for us. I dont understand how Modo is gagging for Lucas to strutt his stuff so we can finish 7th again.....all this after witnessing last season. Are you thick Modo?

Hey @Herr Onceared he called you cunt.
@Ryan too

Gerrard will never play the number 10 role again. Hes geting older and playing deeper came naturally, we've seen this in the past with some players.
Matthaeus comes to mind who even finished his career as a CB.
Gerrard was very good in his new role last season and will keep playing there again this term.
Rightly so, he was once again our best player yesterday.
Why does a player have to go backwards when they get older? Why can't they play a more advanced role? Is the assumption you run about a bit less in defence? Utter garbage.

And Gerrard wasn't 'very good' in the role last season...he was no better or worse than he has been so far this season.

And he really wasn't one of our best players yesterday. It was a low benchmark and he came below it.

Why does a player have to go backwards when they get older? Why can't they play a more advanced role? Is the assumption you run about a bit less in defence? Utter garbage.

And Gerrard wasn't 'very good' in the role last season...he was no better or worse than he has been so far this season.

And he really wasn't one of our best players yesterday. It was a low benchmark and he came below it.

Well he was the best of a bad bunch.
Yes its less demanding physcally, its more about positioning and reading the game and with his experience, you run less. Especially in games like yesterday against a team that park the bus.
We were lacking pace up front and not picking Sterling was a mistake from BR, too many new players that havent played together enough. I think BR has been rushing the newcomers in too fast.

Villa didn't park the bus. There is a big difference between being defensively well organised (we wish) and lacking any attacking intent. Villa had a counter attack in the last 5 minutes yesterday and they poured forward for it. Again this notion that DM players just stroll around a bit is utter nonsense.

Well he was the best of a bad bunch.
Yes its less demanding physcally, its more about positioning and reading the game and with his experience, you run less. Especially in games like yesterday against a team that park the bus.
We were lacking pace up front and not picking Sterling was a mistake from BR, too many new players that havent played together enough. I think BR has been rushing the newcomers in too fast.

Henderson was WAY better than him yesterday.

Lucas shouldnt be anywhere near the team.
Dont think Gerrard was the problem either.
We had a brand new front 4 yesterday. No wonder we didnt create anything.
Little movement and understanding.

Allen and Sturridge would have made a massive difference.
Markovic, Lallana and Coutinho could have been on the bench with Sterling infront of Gerrard, Allen, Hendo.
Ballotelli and Studge upfront.

Next week I'd play Sterling and Balotelli upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom