• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Will Nunez ever become 20+ goal striker?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Will Nunez ever score 20+ goals in EPL or another top league?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, let’s look at this from a different angle - the next month or so is going to tell us a lot about the attacking components of our squad and give us an insight into “life after Mo”.

Realistically we’re not changing our system - so that means 433 with Trent inverting from RB.

We’ll play Mac A as the 6 and likely Harvey in MO’s position with Slobbers, Curtis & Gravy filling the double 8 roles. (Might see Gakpo in there too, particularly if Slobbers is out for a while with his hammie injury.

So… this means, we’ll be likely more open through the centre, Mac A isn’t as good at defending, but more creative and better at ball progression, because Mac A is better technically.

With Harvey, he’s likely to provide more width, but much less in the way of goals - he might grab a couple, but he’s unlikely to score at Salah rate.

The width is important though - because while Mo hangs out wide, you really want him getting into the centre.

Harvey out wide means 2 things - more space for the central striker and an absolute necessity that the centre striker has a high conversion rate.

Let’s assume, Diaz is going to hold the fort down on the left and Gakpo is going to end up in midfield.

You look directly at Jota to play through the centre because he’s the one most able to convert and go on a hot run of scoring - but he’s made of biscuits and there’s every chance he’ll pick up an injury - so there’s a level of protection required there which means he can’t start every game, particularly as he’s just coming back from an injury.

I think this is Nunez moment to shine - and we need him to - Harvey will give him space, the system is set up to get the ball to him through the centre, directly… he gets chances, he’s got the ability - he needs to take this moment and justify that all the name chanting is not just dickheads that finds us name easy to pronounce.

For me this next month or so will tell me everything I need to know about Nunez.

If he activates “Binomial wet dream mode” then then it’s fucking on line donkey kong!!!

If he doesn’t… then he’s king donkey and the dream is close to dead.
I can't see Harvey (a midfielder) taking Mo's place at RW (other than as a sub at the end of games to give us another body in midfield). I think Klopp will rotate his front three between our forwards (Diaz - Gakpo or Jota and Nunez my preferred line-up. but there are numerous options).

The other intriguing selection would be Szobo at RW with either Gakpo (faster than Elliott and tracks back) or Elliott taking that RM slot.

I can't see Harvey (a midfielder) taking Mo's place at RW (other than as a sub at the end of games to give us another body in midfield). I think Klopp will rotate his front three between our forwards (Diaz - Gakpo or Jota and Nunez my preferred line-up. but there are numerous options).

The other intriguing selection would be Szobo at RW with either Gakpo (faster than Elliott and tracks back) or Elliott taking that RM slot.
That's the thing I have an issue with too. Will Elliott play ahead of Nunez, Jota or Diaz on the right wing?
Might as well add Szobo to the mix.
I highly doubt it.

That's the thing I have an issue with too. Will Elliott play ahead of Nunez, Jota or Diaz on the right wing?
Might as well add Szobo to the mix.
I highly doubt it.

There will be games where Elliott gets the nod. Now klopp actually has the chance to "audition" a few players on the right now Mo's not there.

There will be games where Elliott gets the nod. Now klopp actually has the chance to "audition" a few players on the right now Mo's not there.
If we are talking about FAC then yes I can definitely see it (or LC if we are ahead) for rotation, otherwise I think he'll trust his forwards.

If we are talking about FAC then yes I can definitely see it (or LC if we are ahead) for rotation, otherwise I think he'll trust his forwards.

Depends on which forwards though. Diaz on the right? Elliott? Nunez cutting in?

We don't really know klopps thoughts on the matter as it's so rare we see league games without mo. You can't say any have earned klopps trust from that position, bar maybe Elliott

We don't really know klopps thoughts on the matter as it's so rare we see league games without mo. You can't say any have earned klopps trust from that position, bar maybe Elliott
Like Froggy said, maybe the fa cup.
Diaz is the last player I'd have on the right wing.
For me, it's between Jota and Szobo.
Jota is good with both feet, better than the rest of our attackers. Szobo is a good crosser of the ball. So yeah, that's my two options.

It'll come with the three of them (Diaz, Nunez and Gapko). Neville made a really great point to that effect after the game. The three of them have explosiveness and cause problems, but they lack that "peak age" experience and composure, which came much later in Klopp's reign with Firmino and Mane, after a few years of the same sort of stuff we're seeing now. Just because they are missing chances, it doesn't mean they are without their merits. As Klopp mentioned on Sunday, Nunez occupied their central defenders and gave them a headache, giving space to Salah and Diaz to attack. Sure, he's frustrating in front of goal, but he's equally electric and a real pest to play against. The rest of his game will follow.

The Salah goal showed the composure can be there, Diaz did what he does best (and admittedly has lacked recently), and Nunez did what many would think is beyond his intelligence.

One thing we do have to find over the coming years is another prolific finisher. There's no reason why Nunez, Diaz and Gapko can't be 10-20 league goals a season strikers, maybe more, but only Jota and Salah have natural clinical ability in front of goal. Let's not forget, Mane was explosive but very much a purple patch player at times in his early years, he was a more consistent finisher than the others, but not always by much, it took time. He was often a player who would bury a goal rather than place a goal, that came more consistently later on. We're well equipped upfront, the only thing we have to think about is longterm and replacing Salah and possibly Jota (as his injuries will always hamper him and us).

Nunez might be a bit of a raw and slightly frustrating enigma at the moment, but he's not offering "nothing", he's playing a part. He needs more goals to his game, but I bet defenders hate playing against him.

As usual Neville makes an interesting point but one that actually doesnt stand up to scrutiny. Mane got 13 goals from 26 games in his first season at Liverpool. 1 every 2 games from a wide player that doesn't take penalties is a fantastic return, he improved as the team improved but I don't think it's in any way accurate to liken Nunez first 18 months here to Mané. Sadio was an instant success that went on to surpass all expectations, but the fact he improved doesn't mean he started poorly.

As usual Neville makes an interesting point but one that actually doesnt stand up to scrutiny. Mane got 13 goals from 26 games in his first season at Liverpool. 1 every 2 games from a wide player that doesn't take penalties is a fantastic return, he improved as the team improved but I don't think it's in any way accurate to liken Nunez first 18 months here to Mané. Sadio was an instant success that went on to surpass all expectations, but the fact he improved doesn't mean he started poorly.

The Suarez comparison is silly as well. Suarez exhibited some erratic / frustrating finishing in his first season or so but it was obvious from pretty much day 1 that we'd hit the jackpot talent-wise.

Nunez played in that position a lot in Portugal (Binny put up a graph recently - maybe 1/3 time on the right?) and I'm sure I remember him playing there for Klopp? Even if not starting at RW we've seen both Diaz and Nunez over there and know they'd work just fine.
However as you said we don't know what Klopp is thinking but for sure Klopp will have tried different formations in training. He won't have waited until now to start so whoever starts there vs Bournemouth will have likely been the best in training.

It would be a wasted opportunity if we don't play 3 of the 4 attackers in the front three for these next 3-4 players (in my opinion). We are looking for these players to all step up, both individually as leaders and also as a unit and show that between them they can turn our great attacking play into goals.

Worst outcome would be like the United game when all of our attackers played like individuals and just took pot shots rather than playing as a unit.

I think Nunez is a must in these games without Mo. We always have Mo closest to the halfway line when we defend so he can quickly sprint for a counter attack. Nunez will have to take that mantle as he's the quickest player we have and out-sprints defenders with ease. Someone just has to teach him the offside rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom