• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Will Nunez ever become 20+ goal striker?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Will Nunez ever score 20+ goals in EPL or another top league?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maaaaaybe? But we can’t rely on that happening anymore. His first Newcastle game made us dream. This second one kind of ended the waiting period for me. Definitely want him in the squad for all he brings but just not going to be that reliable goal scorer.

One point of comparison I’d like to offer is Arsenal’s Gabriel Jesus - a striker who is capable of clinical finishes on his day, but whose underlying numbers so far look similar to Nunez in terms of consistently underperforming his XG in the Premier League. Maybe @King Binny or someone can find the exact XG stats, but here is the league goals output for Jesus and Nunez respectively:

IMG-3126.jpg

IMG-3127.jpg

Jesus has never blossomed into a 20+ goal striker, he only hit double-figures in the league 3 times. At the moment Nunez’s career in the EPL is behind even Jesus’s average numbers with this season currently on track for around 9-10 goal return. They both offer valuable things to their team in addition to goals; I don’t think many people would say Jesus’s Premier League career was a failure, although it’s probably fair to say he didn’t completely live up to expectations.

Does Nunez have something extra that will take him to a next level? And if not, are we happy with him being a 10 goals per season striker if he contributes in other ways?

I voted Yes and I have to admit at this point it’s completely irrational. I respect the opinion of the likes of Michael Owen who say he does seem to lack something fundamentally as a finisher, but for my own eye test it all just seems so tantalizingly close! Nunez gets on the end of the most chances in the league; surely just a small improvement in finishing would yield substantial results? He is built every bit like a star striker, he comes from a football culture that produced some great ones that he can look up to, he is coached by Bielsa and Klopp - I just cannot give up yet, evidence in front of our eyes be damned.

Last edited:
Are we really faulting him for Dubravka's saves?

It's not like anyone else was superb in their finishing today. In fact, he was as clinical, if not more, than any of our strikeforce today.

One point of comparison I’d like to offer is Arsenal’s Gabriel Jesus - a striker who is capable of clinical finishes on his day, but whose underlying numbers so far look similar to Nunez in terms of consistently underperforming his XG in the Premier League. Maybe @King Binny or someone can find the exact XG stats, but here is the league goals output for Jesus and Nunez respectively:

Jesus has never blossomed into a 20+ goal striker, he only hit double-figures in the league 3 times. At the moment Nunez’s career in the EPL is behind even Jesus’s average numbers with this season currently on track for around 9-10 goal return. They both offer valuable things to their team in addition to goals; I don’t think many people would say Jesus’s Premier League career was a failure, although it’s probably fair to say he didn’t completely live up to expectations.

Does Nunez have something extra that will take him to a next level? And if not, are we happy with him being a 10 goals per season striker if he contributes in other ways?

I voted Yes and I have to admit at this point it’s completely irrational. I respect the opinion of the likes of Michael Owen who say he does seem to lack something fundamentally as a finisher, but for my own eye test it all just seems so tantalizingly close! Nunez gets on the end of the most chances in the league; surely just a small improvement in finishing would yield substantial results? He is built every bit like a star striker, he comes from a football culture that produced some great ones that he can look up to, he is coached by Bielsa and Klopp - I just cannot give up yet, evidence in front of our eyes be damned.

Only managed to find EPL xG stats to make comparison for both

YYgOX3F.jpg

IMG-3126.jpg

IMG-3127.jpg

The Jesus comparison is good but he was never really the first choice at City was he?

The Jesus comparison is good but he was never really the first choice at City was he?

Yeah, he had periods of consistent play and other periods on the bench. If Nunez doesn’t improve, that could be his future too.

Only managed to find EPL xG stats to make comparison for both

YYgOX3F.jpg

You’re a legend, mate. Any thoughts on Nunez? I saw you voted No.

So looking at the numbers Nunez should have scored 11 goals this season if his finishing was average, instead he got 5. A Harry Kane would have hypothetically scored 15 or more with the same chances Nunez got. The concerning thing is that the difference between his XG and actual goals has only grown this season compared to last. Does Klopp admit it’s not working and play him on the wing once again?

This journalist is making a pretty convincing case, statistically:
[article]
When it comes to the numbers, the Uruguayan is a lot closer to Mané’s averages for Liverpool. Especially, when we are looking at the underlying numbers and the amount of xG and chances accumulated by Núñez.

But purely, on the goal contribution alone, Núñez has averaged a goal or assist every 113 minutes for Liverpool in his career so far. This season he is averaging a goal or assist every 98 minutes.

In comparison, Mané averaged a goal or assist every 128 minutes during his career for Liverpool. And in his best season ever for Liverpool in terms of productivity Mané averaged a goal or assist every 109 minutes.

NÚÑEZ ON THE LEFT
Although Núñez has played a big chunk of his minutes so far for Liverpool as a forward (2787 in total out of 3844), he’s actually been a lot more productive on the left-wing.

Overall, Núñez has played 1075 minutes for Liverpool as a left-winger. In that time he has averaged a goal or assist every 105 minutes averaging 0.61 goals per 90, and 0.26 assists per 90.

Meanwhile, as a forward, Núñez averages are lower. He scores a goal or makes an assist every 115 minutes and scores 0.45 per 90 minutes.

If we distil his numbers even further to just performances in the Premier League, the Uruguayan is even more prolific.

In the Premier League he has played 717 minutes on the left for Liverpool, and scored 6 out of his 14 goals while in that position – all the more impressive considering he has played less than 25% of his total minutes in that role.

Overall, on the left, Núñez has averaged a goal or assist every 90 minutes in the league for Liverpool, and he’s scored a goal 0.75 per 90 and assisted 0.25 per 90. In comparison as a forward, he’s averaged a goal or assist ever 145 minutes in the league averaging a goal 0.35 per 90 minutes and an assist 0.26 per 90 minutes.

[/article]

Last edited:

IMG-3126.jpg

IMG-3127.jpg

Interesting to compare our scorers with those at Arsenal and City. The ONLY players at those 3 clubs with clearer goals per minute are Mo, Haaland and Jota ! Only one player has more assists, Mo !

[xtable=skin1]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}GoalsGL{/th}
{th}AssistsA{/th}
{th}PlayedP{/th}
{th}Goals per 90{/th}
{th}Mins per GoalMPG{/th}
{th}Total Shots{/th}
{th}Goal Conversion{/th}
{th}Shot Accuracy{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
[/xtable]
Liverpool
[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}1{/td}
{td}
Mohamed SalahSalah
{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}0.79{/td}
{td}114{/td}
{td}66{/td}
{td}27%{/td}
{td}64%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2{/td}
{td}
Diogo JotaJota
{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}0.84{/td}
{td}107{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}36%{/td}
{td}60%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}3{/td}
{td}
Darwin NúñezNúñez
{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}0.47{/td}
{td}193{/td}
{td}65{/td}
{td}12%{/td}
{td}51%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}3{/td}
{td}
Cody GakpoGakpo
{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}0.54{/td}
{td}167{/td}
{td}33{/td}
{td}24%{/td}
{td}61%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}5{/td}
{td}
Luis DíazDíaz
{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}0.31{/td}
{td}289{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}18%{/td}
{td}50%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}6{/td}
{td}
Dominik SzoboszlaiSzoboszlai
{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}0.20{/td}
{td}460{/td}
{td}31{/td}
{td}13%{/td}
{td}39%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}7{/td}
{td}
Curtis JonesJones
{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}0.25{/td}
{td}356{/td}
{td}12{/td}
{td}25%{/td}
{td}58%{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Arsenal
[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}1{/td}
{td}
Bukayo SakaSaka
{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{td}11{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}0.38{/td}
{td}235{/td}
{td}35{/td}
{td}26%{/td}
{td}63%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2{/td}
{td}
Gabriel JesusGabriel Jesus
{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}0.49{/td}
{td}184{/td}
{td}37{/td}
{td}19%{/td}
{td}57%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2{/td}
{td}
Martin ØdegaardØdegaard
{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}0.32{/td}
{td}282{/td}
{td}37{/td}
{td}19%{/td}
{td}59%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}4{/td}
{td}
Leandro TrossardTrossard
{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}0.52{/td}
{td}175{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}26%{/td}
{td}52%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}4{/td}
{td}
Eddie NketiahNketiah
{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}0.43{/td}
{td}210{/td}
{td}34{/td}
{td}18%{/td}
{td}38%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}6{/td}
{td}
Kai HavertzHavertz
{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}0.24{/td}
{td}377{/td}
{td}30{/td}
{td}17%{/td}
{td}30%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}7{/td}
{td}
Gabriel MartinelliMartinelli
{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}0.22{/td}
{td}415{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}15%{/td}
{td}59%{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
City
[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}1{/td}
{td}
Erling HaalandHaaland
{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}0.96{/td}
{td}94{/td}
{td}76{/td}
{td}25%{/td}
{td}62%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2{/td}
{td}
Julián ÁlvarezÁlvarez
{/td}
{td}12{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}0.53{/td}
{td}169{/td}
{td}55{/td}
{td}22%{/td}
{td}60%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}3{/td}
{td}
Phil FodenFoden
{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}0.39{/td}
{td}233{/td}
{td}46{/td}
{td}20%{/td}
{td}63%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}4{/td}
{td}
Bernardo SilvaBernardo Silva
{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}0.29{/td}
{td}308{/td}
{td}22{/td}
{td}27%{/td}
{td}64%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}5{/td}
{td}
RodriRodri
{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}0.23{/td}
{td}391{/td}
{td}36{/td}
{td}14%{/td}
{td}44%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}6{/td}
{td}
Jérémy DokuDoku
{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}17{/td}
{td}0.30{/td}
{td}300{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}17%{/td}
{td}67%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}6{/td}
{td}
Jack GrealishGrealish
{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}0.20{/td}
{td}455{/td}
{td}13{/td}
{td}23%{/td}
{td}77%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}6{/td}
{td}
Manuel AkanjiAkanji
{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}0.14{/td}
{td}632{/td}
{td}8{/td}
{td}38%{/td}
{td}50%{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

You’re a legend, mate. Any thoughts on Nunez? I saw you voted No.

So looking at the numbers Nunez should have scored 11 goals this season if his finishing was average, instead he got 5. A Harry Kane would have hypothetically scored 15 or more with the same chances Nunez got. The concerning thing is that the difference between his XG and actual goals has only grown this season compared to last. Does Klopp admit it’s not working and play him on the wing once again?

This journalist is making a pretty convincing case, statistically:
[article]
When it comes to the numbers, the Uruguayan is a lot closer to Mané’s averages for Liverpool. Especially, when we are looking at the underlying numbers and the amount of xG and chances accumulated by Núñez.

But purely, on the goal contribution alone, Núñez has averaged a goal or assist every 113 minutes for Liverpool in his career so far. This season he is averaging a goal or assist every 98 minutes.

In comparison, Mané averaged a goal or assist every 128 minutes during his career for Liverpool. And in his best season ever for Liverpool in terms of productivity Mané averaged a goal or assist every 109 minutes.

NÚÑEZ ON THE LEFT
Although Núñez has played a big chunk of his minutes so far for Liverpool as a forward (2787 in total out of 3844), he’s actually been a lot more productive on the left-wing.

Overall, Núñez has played 1075 minutes for Liverpool as a left-winger. In that time he has averaged a goal or assist every 105 minutes averaging 0.61 goals per 90, and 0.26 assists per 90.

Meanwhile, as a forward, Núñez averages are lower. He scores a goal or makes an assist every 115 minutes and scores 0.45 per 90 minutes.

If we distil his numbers even further to just performances in the Premier League, the Uruguayan is even more prolific.

In the Premier League he has played 717 minutes on the left for Liverpool, and scored 6 out of his 14 goals while in that position – all the more impressive considering he has played less than 25% of his total minutes in that role.

Overall, on the left, Núñez has averaged a goal or assist every 90 minutes in the league for Liverpool, and he’s scored a goal 0.75 per 90 and assisted 0.25 per 90. In comparison as a forward, he’s averaged a goal or assist ever 145 minutes in the league averaging a goal 0.35 per 90 minutes and an assist 0.26 per 90 minutes.

[/article]
Considering how everyone jizzes over Mane (I'd never belittle him!) that is a very interesting comparison. I'm no longer sure that Nunez will ever become a top goal scorer but a major contributor to our success? He's already on his way as the stats/facts prove.

Considering how everyone jizzes over Mane (I'd never belittle him!) that is a very interesting comparison. I'm no longer sure that Nunez will ever become a top goal scorer but a major contributor to our success? He's already on his way as the stats/facts prove.

I made the comparison with Mane on the day he signed. The big thing about Mane was his threat - he was never as consistent a finisher as Salah, but he always made defenders uncomfortable; Nunez has the same quality even though his dribbling style is different. I think turning Nunez into a one goal in 3-4 games winger is always an option; he can almost certainly do it. But the possibility of him making it as a CF is just so tempting - I understand why Klopp and the coaches are not giving up yet.

Last edited:
I don't think he will in this league. He'll go to Italy/Spain/Germany and bang them in for fun

I think it's more mental block than ability.

There is still a chance it all clicks for him. He gets himself in positions to score multiple times a game, which I don't think you can teach. His team mates look for, and find him. Also imagine how many more chances he'd get if he tweaked his ability to beat the offside trap.

However, there is a strong argument to say that with a more reliable finisher in the middle, our quality players will make them a bunch of chances too.

I would rather have him in the squad than not, but be in a position where we aren't reliant on him. This might be the case with Jota back and Diaz/Gakpo finding form.

We are lucky in a sense that Salah is away for 3-4 PL games and 3 cup games, as this means we kind of need to stick with Darwin during this period. And if he is still patchy, we can use him as more of a super sub towards the end of the season (or major him in the various cup competitions).

I would only sell if we were going to get 60m+ for him.. anything less and i'd rather have him in the team because he is a huge attacking threat, just in with very very patchy finishing.

The reason I can't quite bring myself to say that he won't is because he does have most of the attributes required. He is strong, he is fast, he gets into positions. He's not like one of those other forwards we have all seen in the past who just wanders aimlessly and let's the game pass him by. He's always involved.

He's just terrible at finishing, but even with that, he clearly can do it sometimes. Frustratingly rarely though.

Everyone always talks about his finishing but that's not his only problem.

Quite often his first touch is not good enough... it's like the Diaz goal that was ruled out last night. His first touch was poor, which meant he couldn't take it in his stride thus making the finish more difficult.

Are we saying his mental state / mental block is also responsible for that?

Everyone always talks about his finishing but that's not his only problem.

Quite often his first touch is not good enough... it's like the Diaz goal that was ruled out last night. His first touch was poor, which meant he couldn't take it in his stride thus making the finish more difficult.

Are we saying his mental state / mental block is also responsible for that?

Possibly to an extent - as he doesn't seem assured in what he is doing. I.e. there are times he looks to shoot for his indivudual stats / 'hasn't scored in x games' versus what action can he take that will give LFC the biggest probability of scoring.

It's a tough one. I love him, and advocated for always starting him as things always happen and he is a nightmare for defenders. However I think we need Jota playing in the central role.

For the next month I would still like to see Diaz on the right and Nunez on the left, with Gakpo saved as the replacement who could in theory play any of those roles as a sub.

As obviously woeful as his finishing has been - and I know this is a cop out - I still think he's incredibly unlucky in front of goal. Anything that can go wrong for him does go wrong. He never seems to have that cliched goal bounce in off his arse or whatever, or a total scuff like Gakpo scored last night.

If that had been Nunez you just know he'd have caught it perfectly and smashed off one post onto the other and back out and set them up perfectly for the counter.

I say yes, based on the fact that because of himself he gets at least 2 scoreable chances per game at least. I actually think, that he would in world football be a complete anomally if he were to put away the chances he gets, because not even Haarland with all the service he requires could come close to him. It would almost be unfair on all the strikers of the world. So him missing some of these sitters, is natures balancing act.

That said, I really want to judge him now that Mo has gone off. I have this feeling he will play better without Mo lurking in the shaddows, and so will Gakpo and Diaz, but I think Nunez will believe he is the main man though and that will inspire him to score the goals.

One of the reasons I thought Nunez would score a shitload here was that ca. 50% of his goals in Portugal came from within (or around) the 6m box, goal poaching in effect, and I thought that would suit all the crosses coming in from Trent ... and then Trent stops getting up the wing to cross from an advanced wide right position.

It's interesting that, despite the usual haters hating, the silent majority still think he can score 20+ goals in a season the EPL.

It's based on the team giving him fifty absolute unmissable chances and him still making a bollocks of more than half of them.

Of course he will, what a silly question.

Ok it’s looking less likely it’ll come this season, though this season he will better his goals and assists ratio from last season and also go on to help us to win at least 1 trophy which overall is an improvement season on what was a very good debut season. We still have another 3-4 years of peak Nunez to enjoy.

I think he can, not sure if he'll do it at this club though. He's a good finisher, he just completely lacks any composure or self belief which is ruining everything, its affecting his finishing, his first touch, his decision making, so many aspects of his play are just inconsistent and confused as a result. This will undoubtedly improve as he matures, but he's not maturing anywhere near quick enough to stay in a side with title aspirations. He's been given an olive branch in Salah leaving for a month, I'd seriously be considering dropping him with Jota's return otherwise, but whilst Salah is away, I'd be very happy seeing him start out on the right. This is his last opportunity for me, seize it you insecure talented bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom