• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Ben Doak

Prefix for Poll Threads

Should we loan Doak out this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve posted before about this, but I really think he’s got Owen-esque precocious talent and trajectory.

He’ll stay and get a lot more minutes than most imagine as the season goes on.

He’s a wee fucking superstar in the making.

I’ve posted before about this, but I really think he’s got Owen-esque precocious talent and trajectory.

He’ll stay and get a lot more minutes than most imagine as the season goes on.

He’s a wee fucking superstar in the making.

I like Ben Doak and hopefully he will go on to have a great career at LFC. But comparisons to Owen are a bit premature. Just like how folks were comparing Carvalho to Coutinho last summer. Because of the way his career panned, folks have forgotten a bit how good Michael Owen was when he burst on the scene as a 18 year old. He wasn't just an incredible talent with promise, he was among the most feared striker in Europe at age 18 within a few months of debut.

Loads of people thought he was great last preseason too, to me he’s having a pretty similar impact this preseason but is looking a bit bulkier.

Love the directness, very exciting, like his personality but it’s the end product at the moment he needs to be working on. To answer the poll I’d lean slightly towards a loan at a club where he’ll get minutes in an attacking or top end of the table team. He’s about to turn 18 and he’s not particularly weak looking, it’ll do him good as long as they don’t run him into the ground imo.

I was also of the opinion Carvalho should’ve stayed at Fulham and Elliotts loan did him the world of good. As much as I’d love to see him play for us this season if it’s only minimal minutes we’ve plenty of forwards that could do it, just include a recall in the loan.

Blink and you'll miss it.
Just before he shoots see how he switches the ball from left foot to right.

He has no confidence in his left foot and he needs to work on that. Should be mentored by Jota imo.

Last edited:
He’s a special player. For me the best, most consistent performer this pre-season. He must have 100% success in take ons right? As I’ve yet to see a LB stop him. Drop of the shoulder and vrooom cya later. His output is so relentlessly high it doesn’t even worry me his end product is lacking.

I like Ben Doak and hopefully he will go on to have a great career at LFC. But comparisons to Owen are a bit premature. Just like how folks were comparing Carvalho to Coutinho last summer. Because of the way his career panned, folks have forgotten a bit how good Michael Owen was when he burst on the scene as a 18 year old. He wasn't just an incredible talent with promise, he was among the most feared striker in Europe at age 18 within a few months of debut.
His debut was at the end of the previous season. It took Owen a good year to become truly feared and it only really happened the following summer after his WC wonder goal.

I voted for a loan as I think it’s the percentage play but I’d love be wrong and see him take a chance this season and shine. Super strong competition unfortunately.

His debut was at the end of the previous season. It took Owen a good year to become truly feared and it only really happened the following summer after his WC wonder goal.

He played two games in May 1996-97. In the very next season, his actual first full season, which can be considered practically his debut season, he won the premier league golden boot. That summer he made Ayala and the famous Argentinian defense look like chumps. I will be dazed if Doak has anywhere close to that start.

Doak is an exciting young talent. Michael Owen looked like he was from a different planet when he broke through. He was frighteningly good.

I’d only opt for a loan if it’s PL and he’s going to play, otherwise i like him learning off Mo in training and honing his skills up against Robbo & Virg

I'd rather we kept him and gave him a chance. As things stand we don't have a big squad, yet we have a lot of games.

He looks ready to play in our first team. If it turns out that he struggles (which he could) then he's still young. He could still go on loan in the second half of the season or even next season.

He has no confidence in his left foot and he needs to work on that. Should be mentored by Jota imo.
To be fair there's been many great players who could only use one foot properly. I can think of a couple of great Argentinians for starters.

To be fair there's been many great players who could only use one foot properly. I can think of a couple of great Argentinians for starters.
Yes, I know I sound overly critical but he plays on the right and for a kid playing as an inside-forward, but not the opposite side of the pitch, he needs to get better on his left because as you can see from the highlights he looses a few milliseconds switching to his preferred foot which in most cases is enough time for defender to cover or disturb his attempt at goal.

Last edited:

He's 17. I think its fair to say he's working on every aspect of his game.

I voted for a loan as I think it’s the percentage play but I’d love be wrong and see him take a chance this season and shine. Super strong competition unfortunately.
Stay for me. He'll learn far more staying with the squad as understudy to Mo (as we are already seeing) than he will at a nondescript club not interested in protecting and instruction but just end results. He'll get more than enough pitch time for a 17-18 yr old as Mo's back up.

I voted stay, but under the hope that he would get serious minutes here, by that I mean obviously league cup starts, but also some occasional FA cup and Europa League starts, and some premier league sub minutes. If he's not gonna get that, a loan to a good Championship club or a newly promoted premier league club it is.

has a wonderful touch until he is in front of goal, so needs to work on that, but looks ridiculously talented. His first 5 yards are electric, the quickest I can recall. Not sure on his full pelt speed, not really seen him chase anyone down, but at 17 that will only improve, anyway.

I'd keep him. He will get minutes and I would rather they were with us.

Another point is, how many minutes does a 17 year old need in the mens game? We have seen it stutter careers before they really get started, especially in this type of player. I think a phased entry in this environment will do him more good than 90 minutes a week for someone else.

has a wonderful touch until he is in front of goal, so needs to work on that, but looks ridiculously talented. His first 5 yards are electric, the quickest I can recall. Not sure on his full pelt speed, not really seen him chase anyone down, but at 17 that will only improve, anyway.

I'd keep him. He will get minutes and I would rather they were with us.
He's scored some amazing goals for the U21. Probably just adrenaline, with more experience he'll calm down.

I don’t like the idea of proper talent going on loan. We can’t control how the player will be used or trained. Keep him close and mould him into the superstar we want.

He should stay. There's a need to have him in the squad.

We have nobody to provide any width down our right-hand side. Salah always cuts in, Trent is now inverted, and Dom goes there but it's mostly to open up space for others. We saw yesterday how this compacts the middle of the park and then relies on the likes of Gakpo, Mac Allister, and Trent to thread a needle. Also, Salah has lost some sparkle to beat players regularly.

Doak helps us with all of the above.

Games look to be going on 6-8 minutes longer this season, and with 5 subs, Europa League football, and the cups, I'd wager we can provide him enough football to develop him as needed.

Last edited:
He should probably play on the left, shouldnt he. But we're very well stocked there.

Unless we switch to like a 4-2-3-1. But as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 he should probably be playing on the inverted side.

I'd loan him out.

We won't make the CL anyway so what's the point.

Give him time to develop elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom