• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Ben Doak

Prefix for Poll Threads

Should we loan Doak out this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I want to know is, does he ever smile? Or has his scowl been tattoed on?

He permanently looks like the opposing keeper murdered his family, which is good for us I guess...
He's Scottish. It's a learning process - Robbo will sort him out.

He played two games in May 1996-97. In the very next season, his actual first full season, which can be considered practically his debut season, he won the premier league golden boot. That summer he made Ayala and the famous Argentinian defense look like chumps. I will be dazed if Doak has anywhere close to that start.

Doak is an exciting young talent. Michael Owen looked like he was from a different planet when he broke through. He was frighteningly good.

I saw Owen playing away at Selhurst park and scoring his first goal for us thinking he looked nifty... due to the way his career with us went we do tend to forget just how sensational he really was when he first came on the scene...

Where did he first fuck up his hammys? Newcastle away wasn't it?? It's a long long time ago now...

But yeah... before he left us and became shit... he was pretty much unstoppable for a good while... hell of player in his pomp...

This Doak lad looks highly highly promising, that dribble run against the krauts the other night... IF he'd of tucked the ball inside the far post it would have been Messi-esque...

This Doak lad looks highly highly promising, that dribble run against the krauts the other night... IF he'd of tucked the ball inside the far post it would have been Messi-esque...

While we're at making completely unrealistic comparisons we will all laugh at in a couple of years - the way he gets past players reminds me more of the grit and determination of a very raw Suarez than young Messi's elegant gliding technique

This thread is real Vault material in the making

Please delete this and keep adding more fuel to the fire so it'll be funnier when it all inevitably goes Welsh Ben for the Scottish Ben

Last edited:
In respect of the two Bens, Woodburn always had an uphill battle. He was a clever and tidy player, but with no outstanding pace or other physical attributes that would give him an edge. How many young players in that number 8 to 10 role have failed to make it over the years? The fact is, Doak has physical characteristics that give him a much, much better chance than Woodburn ever did. We've seen that he is absolutely capable of turning senior defenders inside-out, and has a turn of pace, especially over the first 10 yards, that is totally explosive. The two Bens aren't comparable in truth.

In respect of the two Bens, Woodburn always had an uphill battle. He was a clever and tidy player, but with no outstanding pace or other physical attributes that would give him an edge. How many young players in that number 8 to 10 role have failed to make it over the years? The fact is, Doak has physical characteristics that give him a much, much better chance than Woodburn ever did. We've seen that he is absolutely capable of turning senior defenders inside-out, and has a turn of pace, especially over the first 10 yards, that is totally explosive. The two Bens aren't comparable in truth.
Also, he was injured 90% of the time.

He played two games in May 1996-97. In the very next season, his actual first full season, which can be considered practically his debut season, he won the premier league golden boot. That summer he made Ayala and the famous Argentinian defense look like chumps. I will be dazed if Doak has anywhere close to that start.

Doak is an exciting young talent. Michael Owen looked like he was from a different planet when he broke through. He was frighteningly good.
That’s true however for context the league hardly was brimming with exceptionally prolific strikers that year.
Owen shared the golden boot with Dion Dublin at Coventry and Chris Sutton at Blackburn Rovers on just 18 goals in 36 games (the lowest ever amount to win it)
Fowler was ruled out for most of the season with a broken leg allowing Owen to get more games than ever would have.
At the time Owens inclusion even sparked debate and he didn’t start the WC. That goal bolted him to a global star.
But yes to mention Doak in the same breadth is ludicrous.

I saw Owen playing away at Selhurst park and scoring his first goal for us thinking he looked nifty... due to the way his career with us went we do tend to forget just how sensational he really was when he first came on the scene...

Where did he first fuck up his hammys? Newcastle away wasn't it?? It's a long long time ago now...

But yeah... before he left us and became shit... he was pretty much unstoppable for a good while... hell of player in his pomp...

He was outrageous in that game. We were losing and needed to win. He scored a sensational goal off the bench and nearly got the winner after on his debut in 2-2 draw. He then scored another cracker on the final day away to SW.

A certain Ovin Leonardson scored for Wimbledon on Owens debut which I’ve no doubt cemented him as a target we picked up that summer.

That’s true however for context the league hardly was brimming with exceptionally prolific strikers that year.
Owen shared the golden boot with Dion Dublin at Coventry and Chris Sutton at Blackburn Rovers on just 18 goals in 36 games (the lowest ever amount to win it)
Fowler was ruled out for most of the season with a broken leg allowing Owen to get more games than ever would have.
At the time Owens inclusion even sparked debate and he didn’t start the WC. That goal bolted him to a global star.
But yes to mention Doak in the same breadth is ludicrous.

So, you’re saying for Doak to be comparable to Owen, all we need is for the league to be filled with less talented players, one of our more senior players who score goals to break his leg (let’s say Salah) so that Doak can get more games and for Doak to not start regularly for Scotland, but look good when he gets a chance?

So, you’re saying for Doak to be comparable to Owen, all we need is for the league to be filled with less talented players, one of our more senior players who score goals to break his leg (let’s say Salah) so that Doak can get more games and for Doak to not start regularly for Scotland, but look good when he gets a chance?
He can’t be compared. Impossible.

He was outrageous in that game. We were losing and needed to win. He scored a sensational goal off the bench and nearly got the winner after on his debut in 2-2 draw. He then scored another cracker on the final day away to SW.

A certain Ovin Leonardson scored for Wimbledon on Owens debut which I’ve no doubt cemented him as a target we picked up that summer.

Leonhardsen caused us problems more than once. He and other decent players had the misfortune to arrive at LFC when Roy Evans was busy proving the manager's job was a step too far for him, not least by tinkering long before Ranieri got a name for it. At Wimbledon Leonhardsen had been a dangerous attacking CM, but Uncle Roy shunted him out wide and his career never really recovered.

Last edited:
He can’t be compared. Impossible.

Well… he can be compared - in the sense that he’s roughly the same age as Owen broke through at.

His skill set is different and the premier League is arguably stronger and therefore harder for a young player to break into.

The point would be, on present evidence he has a ceiling that could be as high as Owens - so some sort of comparison is possible.

Well… he can be compared - in the sense that he’s roughly the same age as Owen broke through at.

His skill set is different and the premier League is arguably stronger and therefore harder for a young player to break into.

The point would be, on present evidence he has a ceiling that could be as high as Owens - so some sort of comparison is possible.
He has a ceiling as high as Owens? Fuck me!

I don't know what metric we're using to compare Owen and Doak.

Owen was scoring goals in PL at 17. In the national team at 18 and then kept getting double digit goals for LFC.

If the argument is about Owens skill level back then compared to Doak now, then maybe you can make some sort of comparison.

But until Doak start playing more regularly and also contributing then there's no comparison to be made imo.

Remember, as was said on this forum, Ibe had a higher ceiling than Sterling. But Sterling was considerably smaller so didn't need a high one.

Good talent but he doesn't have the X factor for me. Happy to be proven wrong obv.

I can see him reaching Danny Murphy, Joe Cole et al levels, if he puts in the hard work, but that's about as far as he'll go, i'm afraid.

Until he adds goals and assists to his game, he's never gonna be world class.

Doak looks good but Owen was something else. His junior records were insane. He stepped into the Prem from Day 1 and looked comfortable at 17. At 18, he was scoring the best goal at a WC.
To be fair, this comparison does Doak no favours.
A couple of things about Doak - looking at Alex Scott going to Bournemouth, that's a clever move by the boy, game time, more experience, enhanced reputation ... look how that compares to Elliot who we have thrown in and now have doubts about. Fast forward 12 months and Scott will probably have doubled in value, where will Elliot be? Secondly, where should he play to gain confidence? Out wide or through the middle? Theo Walcott was a bit like this. He should have played through the middle more, scored some goals and found his natural position. He didn't, it never worked out as well as it could have for him. Even Henry took some time to find out.
Doak looks a great talent. But (1) he's no Owen, and (2) what's his game time/progression going to look like if he stays here?

Ultimately forwards are judged on the number of goals and assists they provide & we've only seen snippets of him in the first team last season and again this pre-season....he's maybe played a total of not even 300 minutes.

Sterling at 17 the season before he really breakthrough in the first team he scored 6 and assisted 7 in 19 games for the u21s

Doak at the same age last season scored 8 assisted 6 in 21 games for the u21s/UEFA youth cup.

Whether fans think Sterling went on to be a world class player or not is debatable but until Doak is thrown in and is given the opportunity to test himself, how good he can become is anyone's guess.

I’d rather not.

What makes you think he doesn’t?

All the evidence laid out so far in his young career. At this age Owen and other players with his ceiling had been tearing up records at youth level both for club and country.

Doak has an incredible amount to prove to show he has the same ceiling.

FFS Owens ceiling was World Player of the year.

Nobody in their right mind can say that about Doak yet.

Good talent but he doesn't have the X factor for me. Happy to be proven wrong obv.

I can see him reaching Danny Murphy, Joe Cole et al levels, if he puts in the hard work, but that's about as far as he'll go, i'm afraid.

Until he adds goals and assists to his game, he's never gonna be world class.
I’d take Joe Cole’s levels right now thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom