• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Ben Doak

Prefix for Poll Threads

Should we loan Doak out this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I'm not questioning the initial burst of pace. Just centre backs were keeping up with him. Not ideal like

Oh I'm not questioning the initial burst of pace. Just centre backs were keeping up with him. Not ideal like

I can remember back to my teenage days, was doing 100/200m every week maybe up until 16....on a track of 8 athletic people I was finishing around 3rd.....do you know the seconds difference between first and last? Less than 2 seconds......

Now imagine that race was done again, only this time the person that finished first.....finishes first probably every time, has to dribble with a football to the finish line and still finish first seconds ahead of the rest.

Now imagine you're doing so on a football pitch, in a competitive game.....where you always have to think 2.....3 steps ahead if you wanna be the elite of the elite, it's no easy task even if you're perceived as the quickest in the squad/group or whatever.

It's not gonna be every game where CB's/FB's are keeping up with him because over time that decision making will come quicker so he won't need to slow down on his feet.

I don't think i've said anything untoward saying he's not got pace. He's got the acceleration to provoke an error from a CB and knock a ball round, but i don't think he's doing them for pace. And when you consider a lot of our recent successes have come from people with bags of pace ripping full backs to pieces, a slower winger just means we need to change up the system a bit

I don't think i've said anything untoward saying he's not got pace. He's got the acceleration to provoke an error from a CB and knock a ball round, but i don't think he's doing them for pace. And when you consider a lot of our recent successes have come from people with bags of pace ripping full backs to pieces, a slower winger just means we need to change up the system a bit
I doubt that your average striker / winger flat out will actually have that much more pace than a fast CB (e.g. Gomez). At least not enough to be of any value. Trickery and control are far more valuable assets. Doak has the later in spades, the former is more than enough in most situations.

Pace is more important for a full back than a winger.

Doubt they ever get into a foot race more than twenty yards. Positioning, reaction and the ability to accelerate from a standing position is what wins those races

Messi or Hazard are classic examples of wingers with prodigious acceleration, but no more than decent speed over a long distance. Generally acceleration is more important.

Agree completely. If he adds in end product, he'll be a hell of a talent

If he's not starting midweek, hopefully he can be sent out on loan soon.

EFL clubs can still loan emergency players in right? So that door could open for him before Jan.

EFL clubs can still loan emergency players in right? So that door could open for him before Jan.
I bloody hope not. Where is he going to learn more? Training with Mo, Diaz, Szobo or not getting picked to start for Swansea? Where managers trend to have more loyalty to their full timers and just want loanees as back up.

I bloody hope not. Where is he going to learn more? Training with Mo, Diaz, Szobo or not getting picked to start for Swansea? Where managers trend to have more loyalty to their full timers and just want loanees as back up.
Championship clubs tend to start the players they get on loan from Prem clubs, happened with Wilson Ibe Ojo Kent Brewster etc…..Doak would start for any of them, no problemo. Experience for him right now is invaluable.

Championship clubs tend to start the players they get on loan from Prem clubs, happened with Wilson Ibe Ojo Kent Brewster etc…..Doak would start for any of them, no problemo. Experience for him right now is invaluable.
I haven't checked so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that none of them were 17 years old when they were loaned out.

I haven't checked so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that none of them were 17 years old when they were loaned out.

Harvey was.

But ok, but none of them had the potential Doak did.....just like they probably didn't have the potential Harvey did.

You don't see many 17 year old's playing first team football anywhere but why does that mean Doak can't be 1 of them?

Plus we don'r really use the loan market with the view of these kids having a real shot of making it here....it's more for their benefit so they can kick start their career lower down the chain.

Harvey was.

But ok, but none of them had the potential Doak did.....just like they probably didn't have the potential Harvey did.

You don't see many 17 year old's playing first team football anywhere but why does that mean Doak can't be 1 of them?

Harvey was ahead of the curve and he had already played for Fulham before he joined us.

I mean it depends on the player, I think we first want to monitor his development, get him working on aspects that will improve his game. Then it's the question of, is he ready for the first team and will he get time on the pitch?

I just think the club is a bit hesitant about sending our 17 year olds out on loan. It could actually be more detrimental than helpful.

We’ve gone to the bother of registering him for Europe - he’s not going out on loan.

An emergency loan only happens if it’s an emergency - it would have to be some emergency for a team not to be able to field someone in an outfield position - which is way those sort of loans tend to be for keepers.

He’ll get time in the League Cup and he likely will get some time in Europe - although I wouldn’t expect him to start.

That’s all fine.

Remember - he needs to have been with the club constantly for 2 years to meet the right criteria for List B inclusion in Europe for next season - that’s also why he’s not being loaned.

Maybe in January - but let’s wait and see.

I don't think there's ever been a situation where a club can emergency loan a winger.

He's getting the best experience possible right now - training with world class players, as apart from starting for cloggers, and getting on the pitch for a few minutes here and there and starting the odd game for us. Anyway moot conversation as Klopp has already decided Anfield is the best place for him which is why he named him in the EL squad.

I don't think there's ever been a situation where a club can emergency loan a winger.
It is or was at least defo a thing, whether it’s still a rule I’m not sure but it only applied to EFL clubs….not just a winger but any player.

He's getting the best experience possible right now - training with world class players, as apart from starting for cloggers, and getting on the pitch for a few minutes here and there and starting the odd game for us. Anyway moot conversation as Klopp has already decided Anfield is the best place for him which is why he named him in the EL squad.
Well let’s hope that doesn’t go to waste and he starts the games, handful of players get named in squads every season and never feature…we’ve apparently named Glatzel and Jaros in our Prem squad for this season…doesn’t mean anything. Bobby Clarke named in EL squad, very much doubt he’ll see any game time.

Isn't the emergency loan thing just for goalkeepers?

Anyway, it is the right decision to keep Doak for at least the first half of the season. I suspect he will get games, if only in the Europa League and League Cup.

If he plays and shows that he is ready, then he may well have a part to play in the second half of the season too (which, if all goes well, is usually the business end of a season when games get tougher).

If not, then he option to loan him out is still there in January.

[article]Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish says they must be careful with the progress of Ben Doak.

The teen is being pushed for senior selection with Scotland.

But Dalglish told the Scotsman: "He's only a baby, isn't he?

"He's done really well in just a year-and-a-half. He'll not be far away from it [Scotland].

"He was on the bench at Brighton [last weekend] and he came on in the Europa League. If he just handles it properly, he's got a lot of things going for him. He's got more going for him than going against him.

"The expectation has to be controlled. You cannot maybe control the expectation of the media, but it certainly needs controlled by him. He's obviously impressed Jurgen and whoever else with the first team and also at the training facilities. He's going well."

Dalglish also said: "[There are] two things [about Doak going to the Euros with Scotland]. Let's get there first, and then Steve can assess what players he's got," said Dalglish.

"If he continues in the same vein, keeps his feet on the ground, he won't have a problem.

"He came on in one of the games recently [in the League Cup against Leicester City] and missed one from about two yards - he put it over the bar," Dalglish continued. "But he'd done well in the other aspects. He was more disappointed that he'd missed it. That's good. He'll not miss it the next time then."[/article]

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
@binomial already decided U21 games don't matter, so I don't know why you bother, @King Binny ;)

They don’t matter in the sense that it has no bearing in where a kids career takes off in.

To say someone has incredible potential based on a stand out performance at u21 level means nothing, especially when said player has already over 50 games for his club and showed he’s actually not as good as some like to make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom