• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

He’ll Slot right in

So impressive has been the work of the 44-year-old former midfielder, who is a disciple of Pep Guardiola, that more Premier League clubs are taking a keen interest.

It does feel that it is only a matter of time before Slot makes his move to England, where there are strong similarities in the way he coaches and the playing style he demands to Mikel Arteta at Arsenal and Brighton’s Roberto De Zerbi. He is also friends with Liverpool’s assistant manager Pep Lijnders.

His approach was also simple, as is his mantra: his teams defend by attacking. While Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool, for example, wait for ‘pressing triggers’ Slot asks his players to press all the time. It sounds exhausting but, after a few weeks, it becomes second nature.

The next part of that is to try and control games by emphasising ball possession, which is straight out of Guardiola’s playbook. Slot believes that more defensive football is not only more tiring but less stimulating for the players. Slot argues they cannot improve by primarily thinking about defending.

In Holland they call it indoctrineren (indoctrinate) and Slot bombarded the players with stats, with clips and with far more sophisticated and intense training sessions in which every minute is accounted for. City and Napoli are reference points to this train-the-way-you-play approach. In a recent presentation – with a multi-national squad, all meetings are conducted in English – Slot used Casemiro of Manchester United as an example. Slot highlighted the player's desire to win as exemplified by Casemiro's determination to head the opening goal in the Carabao Cup final. And this from a Brazilian international who has won the Champions League five times.

Creating an exciting team on a shoestring budget

So just as boring as Guardiola /Arteta ball

But twice as tiring as Klopp ball

Ugh

Anyway, he lost me at the friends with Lijnders part, not to mention the "Casemiro as role model"

Of course, the "shoestring budget" thing probably trumps all for FSG.

For what it’s worth, I’ve watched some of Feyenoord’s games this season and liked their approach, even in games where they fell short. It would be a big step up to a club like Liverpool, but it’s easier if you don’t have to drastically change tactics and philosophy compared to Klopp. Basically think of Slot as Lijnders who is actually a head coach.

Tell us more... I need some solace

Oh God no please.

It will be like Brodgers and Uncle Woy all over again. I don’t have time for that crap anymore.

Plus the Dutch are some of the most boring people on earth (no offense!!). No sense of humour whatsover. And don’t get me started on their food.

From mentality monsters to cheese. Oh great.

So just as boring as Guardiola /Arteta ball

But twice as tiring as Klopp ball

Ugh.

I don’t have that impression - he might admire Pep and copy some of his ideas (as does Klopp), but the style of play is faster and more transition-based. Very clearly Dutch-German idea of combination play, not Spanish-Portuguese grind.

Also did you read the part about his teams having very few injuries?

I like Arne Slot fwiw. He's a good fit and this team is probably ready for a transition to 4-2-3-1 with the add ons of a few quality players. The philosophy and mentality seem to be quite similar which is also a good thing.

View: https://x.com/SMXLFC/status/1782784606107746542

He sounds exactly like the Dutch colleagues I work with everyday.

Big fat no from me. It will end in disaster. 100%.

The problem is, everyone is shite other than Alonso.

Are we sure he won't change his mind. For the love of Robbie, please make him change his mind.

How many top managers are available or willing to leave their post? Some may want to wait to see if who we get next fails so they aren’t the one to follow Klopp.

Back
Top Bottom