• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mohamed Salah

Status
Not open for further replies.
ace4cb567ca31039049a6ee4035f125d.jpg

This has nothing to do with what we are talking about.
It has everything to do with your comment on 'rebuilding for an assault on 4th at the tail end of the season'. Why sell & rebuild now (or January) when we are already strongly in the hunt for 2nd !

It has everything to do with your comment on 'rebuilding for an assault on 4th at the tail end of the season'. Why sell & rebuild now (or January) when we are already strongly in the hunt for 2nd !
That's really not what the thread/post/comment/anything is about.
If you want to start an argument about who's theoretical opinion has more validity crack on. I won't be getting involved mind you.

My posting in this thread is about Salah and how we need to strengthen (and where) nothing more.

I post less and less and less as the days go by, quite simply because of shit like this.

I can't be fucking bothered with it. It's boring. I don't care where you or any other poster thinks we will finish nor do you I.

I was very wrong about Mo Salah but in my defense I just looked at his previous PL record and these don't look much at Serie A as a challenge for any player due to the slowness of that football. Credit to all those who knew he was going to score loads. Still - he needs to be more clinical with the chances he gets.

That's really not what the thread/post/comment/anything is about.
If you want to start an argument about who's theoretical opinion has more validity crack on. I won't be getting involved mind you.

My posting in this thread is about Salah and how we need to strengthen (and where) nothing more.

I post less and less and less as the days go by, quite simply because of shit like this.

I can't be fucking bothered with it. It's boring. I don't care where you or any other poster thinks we will finish nor do you I.

Some fucking leader you are, you were my inspiration FFS!

We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive!”

“I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying.”

“In either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small. The inches we need are everywhere around us. On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves, and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our finger nails for that inch. Cause we know when we add up all those inches that’s going to make the f**king difference between winning and losing, between living and dying.”

“Carpe Diem. Seize the day boys. Make your lives extraordinary.”

“And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom!”

“A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of Fellowship, but it is not this day! This day we fight!”

NOW SORT YOUR FUCKING SHIT OUT ONCY!!!

Last edited:
Surprised nobody has mentioned his first touch. It's insanely good.

What I love about Salah is he never hides..
Even after missing a chance or two, he'll not go into his shell and accept it's not happening for him. He finds a way of making himself effective in basically every game. Even when Spurs humped us, he was about our only bright spark that day.

Lightening quick and mobile, scores goals, unbelievable first touch, team player, great mentality, seems like a nice guy.

He's exceeded all expectations already, and long may it continue.

Am I allowed to pat myself on the back? I don't usually do this, but I stumbled upon deliberately searched for a thread from 4 years ago and these were my earliest posts about Salah. Feels nice to be right when most were skeptical.

Dont see the point of signing someone like him at all when we have ibe and sterling. He's like an egyptian aaron lennon.
How many goals have Ibe or Sterling scored vs Chelsea?
This guy is Coutihno quality. Maybe more of a winger/goalscorer type than a playmaker.

Sure, but you know I'm not advocating buying another Downing. We should be after players who are comfortable on the wing, but can play in a variety of attacking positions and are intelligent to interchange with their teammates, make runs and find space. My ideal "winger" is someone like Reus or Müller. Salah seems to be exactly that type of player: versatile, quick, skillful, and with good eye for a pass.

You guys are a tough crowd… "Kick and run." By that logic Christiano Ronaldo is also a kick and run player, he does it all the time – and why shouldn't he if he is much faster than a defender? Why shouldn't he take advantage of his speed advantage? The question is whether the player has more skills in store besides the kick-and-run routine, and Salah clearly does.

So when a player has a clear pace advantage he should NOT be using it and instead do rabonas and step-overs, slowing the game down like the useless fucker Quaresma used to do, for some fans to deem him not "average"? He was the thorn in their side all game, scored against Chelsea both home and away, scored against Spurs at home and was absolutely tearing apart Assou-Ekotto on the Spurs left flank in the away game. What more can you possibly do? A hat-trick in every game? He is playing the game at a very high speed and energy level without making almost any technical errors – that's a sign of a good technique. Not step-overs (which he can also do, naturally – search for some "skills" highlights).

What I also like in these videos is how he pressures defenders and fights even for hopeless balls, causing errors and chaos, runs back to help out the fullback and then full steam ahead waiting for the diagonal pass into space. You can see how Yakin very smartly built his team's game around those qualities and it works particularly well against teams with a high defensive line, such as AVB's Spurs or Mourinho's Chelsea.

I hate when people use the price tag to judge the value of the player. "I don't want to buy a £10M winger, let's save our money and buy a £25M winger next year." You're not buying bricks of gold, people. The football market is far from rational and valuations have very little to do with the actual level of a player's talent. You can buy Lamela for £30M and feel great about it for about 3 seconds – until you see him on the pitch. Or you can buy some unknown Polish dude from Lech Poznan called Lewandowski for €4.5M and the rest in history. I remember seeing Yaya Toure play for one of the worst teams in Ukrainian league and move to Olympiakos for €2M – and he is and has always been one of the biggest CM talents of his generation. Again, the market valuation has almost nothing to do with talent. Forget about numbers. Look at the player and judge for yourself.

To me, there is every indication that Salah is a major talent. Most promising African player of 2012 and best Swiss league player of 2013. I don't see any major weakness in his play. There are many players who are fast and technically excellent – but what impresses me about Salah in particular are three things:
1. He makes good decisions with the ball most of the time, despite his young age – in other words, he has good football instincts
2. He is very aware of teammates and opponents.
3. He is a high-energy player who doesn't stop running. He has "fire in his belly," so to speak (this is what I never saw in Lamela, for example).

Those 3 observations tell me that this is a player who can adapt to English football and in particular the brand of football we are playing in Liverpool. There is no reason to compare him to Pennant, Assaidi, Ryan Babel or anybody else, because those players lacked one or more of the 3 essential skills outlined above.

@rurikbird, what other players have you backed in the past?

There have been a couple like Mkhitaryan and Konoplyanka (or was it Yarmolenko, or both?) that I think you've argued in favour for but you seem the most committed I can remember in this case.

Would you be willing to stake your reputation (not that a reputation on an online forum counts for all that much, but you know what I mean) on Salah coming good?
Well, rurik did rave about Willian loads if I recall.

Oh yeah, now that you mention I remember a lot of comparisons to Robben.

I haven't seen Willian play at all for Chelsea this season so can't really comment on that one! Has he been good / shit / not given enough a go?
I did not compare Willian to Robben, as far I recall. I compared Yarmolenko to Robben, in terms of being a polarizing player who lives and dies by the cut-onto-the-left-and-shoot maneuver.

As for Willian, I am sure we would have been better off with him in the team rather than Moses and I'm sure Spurs are regretting getting stuck with Lamela after Chelsea robbed them of Willian. He looked a bit overwhelmed by the intensity of the PL in his first few games, now he seems to be adjusting gradually. Mourinho seems to trust him and I think his talent is quite clear. He is a bit lacking in the "fire in the belly" department though. I like him, but it's even better to have players who are more direct, like Coutinho. I see this directness in Salah.

I don't think a poster on a football forum should worry about maintaining any kind of "reputation" – I am not a scout, and like all of us I make judgements based on insufficient information. But yes, I am quite willing to say that Salah is much better than most of you think. For me he ticks all the boxes. That's not a guarantee of success, but I don't see this potential deal as "another Pennant" (in other words, investing in a player that everybody knows is limited and is in "you get what you pay for" category). I think for Salah sky is the limit; whether he can realize that potential is another matter.

When Chelsea move was announced:
Fuck this shit. Now I really have to hope I've been wrong about Salah and he is actually no good. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

I was so upset at the time, because I really didn't want him to become a star player for Chelsea – fortunately this didn't happen and in the end Salah ended up at Liverpool by way of Rome. All's well that ends well, right?

If you like to read all of this and more in context, here's the original thread. BTW for all the grief Brendan likes to give him about supposedly being "always wrong", @Hansern was spot-on in that thread as well and actually had some knowledge of the player, unlike most. Spot-on about Willian too. The infamous SpaghettiLegs makes an appearance in this thread – firmly in the "no" camp, of course. @Modo, to his credit, showed an open mind and changed from "no" to a "yes" within a few posts.

Last edited:
I was very wrong about Mo Salah but in my defense I just looked at his previous PL record and these don't look much at Serie A as a challenge for any player due to the slowness of that football. Credit to all those who knew he was going to score loads. Still - he needs to be more clinical with the chances he gets.

That was me. I won the summer transfer window.

Am I allowed to pat myself on the back? I don't usually do this, but I stumbled upon a thread from 4 years ago and these were my earliest posts about Salah. Feels nice to be right when most were skeptical.

I was so upset at the time, because I really didn't want him to become a star player for Chelsea – fortunately this didn't happen and in the end Salah ended up at Liverpool by way of Rome. All's well that ends well, right?

If you like to read all of this and more in context, here's the original thread. BTW for all the grief Brendan likes to give him about supposedly being "always wrong", @Hansern was spot-on in that thread as well and actually had some knowledge of the player, unlike most. Spot-on about Willian too. The infamous SpaghettiLegs makes an appearance in this thread – firmly in the "no" camp, of course. @Modo, to his credit, showed an open mind and changed from "no" to a "yes" within a few posts.
HAHAHAHAHA ok ok but he WAS shit 4 years ago and majorly flopped at chelsea. So i wasn't wrong at the time. He has improved a lot since he's moved to Roma.

Am I allowed to pat myself on the back? I don't usually do this, but I stumbled upon a thread from 4 years ago and these were my earliest posts about Salah. Feels nice to be right when most were skeptical.

What a find there Rurik.

Egyption Aaron Lennon :cry:

Haha - yes.

Seems I was sceptical but came around.

I'm delighted to say that despite being hugely wrong on many occasions about a player, I called Salah as having potential to become world class when he was at Basel and desperately wanted us to get him when he went to Chavs. I now look forward to him fucking off to Barca or Real in 18 months for £100 million.

He's class and I was gutted when the Chelsea scum bought him from under our noses a few years back....

But, tbh I think that experience has made him a better player, he obviously had to make a name for himself again in Italy and is now more complete than back then....

Lets hope his pace stays with him and in the next few years he will become a legend for us (as long as we can keep him).

He's class and I was gutted when the Chelsea scum bought him from under our noses a few years back....

But, tbh I think that experience has made him a better player, he obviously had to make a name for himself again in Italy and is now more complete than back then....

Lets hope his pace stays with him and in the next few years he will become a legend for us (as long as we can keep him).

Good post. I also believe he benefitted from ageing a little bit outside our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom