• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Brighton (A) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall I felt a draw was a fair result. We both had a decent chance to win it and both fucked it up. Brighton should have been down to ten, which is a clear gripe, but our performance did not warrant 3 points either. There were two costly errors leading to goals were very easily preventable.

Alisson - 6 - Sublime save for the one on one chance, but he could have done better for their opening. He was out if position but also seemed late to react to the early shot.

Robertson - 3 - A day to forget. He had some reasonable moments in attacking areas but his defending was haphazard. He was most responsible for the equaliser and was bailed out by Allison earlier on.

VVD - 6 - reasonably solid but the pass to Mac Allister was naive and underhit.

Matip - 6 - Showed reasonable signs he's not completely washed.

Trent - 5 - Kept Mitoma relatively quiet in the first half but there were the routine lapses of concentration throughout. He doesn't seem to be able to control games in the way he was doing last year. It all feels a bit disappointing.

Mac Allister - 3 - He got targeted but Brighton was a step too far for his ability at six. They triggered their press all around him and he flustered. His lack of pace, strength and athletism was costly. Endo should have started in hindsight.

Elliott - 4 - some neat moments of interplay and he deserves credit for the opening goal, but it was a largely ineffectual performance in and out of possession. No surprise to see him getting pulled at HT.

Szoboszlai - 6 - Mixed bag. The work rate was all there, but things didn't seem to come off for him with the ball.

Diaz - 6 - Some good moments in the deeper areas and helped us progress play down the left, but ultimately he didn't create much down the left side.

Nunez - 6 - I do not recall him getting a real chance, but his link up play was the best I've seen it. He looks more comfortable with his back to goal. I only remember one Donkey touch.

Salah - 7 - Some infuriating moments where he ran into brick walls, but he scored two goals and was probably our best bet for a third.

Subs

Gravernberch - 7 - continued to impress. The missed chance was a bitch, but he is becoming very influential in the final third. We looked better for him being on the pitch.

Konate - 5

Gomez - 3 - Someone was worse than Trent in defense.
I'd bump Szobo up to a 7 and Mo an 8 otherwise agree. Maybe Nunez a 6.5 as well as technically he claimed 2 assists.

Didn't they change the rules a few years ago so there's no red if it's a pen? Might have imagined it tbf
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

Accidental fouls denying a goal scoring chance won't read result in a red but deliberate fouls denying a goal scoring chance are still a red as in the reece James handball on the goalline a few years back that got him sent off and a penalty for us

Unless it has been changed again since then

Reactions: jan
Don't care if we finish 2nd or 5th so long as we win the EL and EFL/FA cup.

Utd lost 4-0 to these and still finished 3rd last season? They also got battered several other times last season.

Brighton thumped Arsenal at the emirates last season 3-0 and finished 2nd......so why is a point at Brighton a "terrible result"?

Man City could also only get a point there on the last day, they won the title?
Before k/o I would have said I would take a point but after getting in front and basically been in control in the 2nd half and to just concede another retarded goal we should be easily defending... In the end we could have lost.
Another poor preformance and it will finally catch up with us giving away these stupid goals

Before k/o I would have said I would take a point but after getting in front and basically been in control in the 2nd half and to just concede another retarded goal we should be easily defending... In the end we could have lost.
Another poor preformance and it will finally catch up with us giving away these stupid goals
The most disappointing aspect is these stupid goals we're giving away don't look like being rectified anytime soon, it's almost as if we have no regard to the threat of our opponent's. Very naive. Do we not study our opponents strengths at all?

I know Robbo is getting slaughtered for that defending and rightly so but what the fuck was salah doing? The least interested ‘wall’ I’ve ever seen. At least face the ball and give it the token flick of your head towards the ball, it felt like he could’ve got something on it.

The most disappointing aspect is these stupid goals we're giving away don't look like being rectified anytime soon, it's almost as if we have no regard to the threat of our opponent's. Very naive. Do we not study our opponents strengths at all?
Exactly.. We give away so many big chances, it's only usually ali's brilliance that saves us. It's every match..

Very naive. Do we not study our opponents strengths at all?

I thought, Klopp and his coaching team would have analyzed thoroughly how Villa dissected Brighton with six goals the week before. Spotting the weaknesses in Brighton that Villa exploited or alternatively the strength in Villa that helped them get a health win like that. Surely we are better than Villa and this study would have ensured us a win.

I thought, Klopp and his coaching team would have analyzed thoroughly how Villa dissected Brighton with six goals the week before. Spotting the weaknesses in Brighton that Villa exploited or alternatively the strength in Villa that helped them get a health win like that. Surely we are better than Villa and this study would have ensured us a win.
I'm they would have and do for every game but it's like that all goes out the window on match day.

Villa and West Ham both let Brighton have the ball in front of them and picked their moments to hit on the counter once they over committed, to me we're just not a side that can adapt to that and just look to play front foot, playing out the back high press...then when we lose the ball we go into panic stations and give away stupid fouls, not learning our lessons.

Overall I felt a draw was a fair result. We both had a decent chance to win it and both fucked it up. Brighton should have been down to ten, which is a clear gripe, but our performance did not warrant 3 points either. There were two costly errors leading to goals were very easily preventable.

Alisson - 6 - Sublime save for the one on one chance, but he could have done better for their opening. He was out if position but also seemed late to react to the early shot.

Robertson - 3 - A day to forget. He had some reasonable moments in attacking areas but his defending was haphazard. He was most responsible for the equaliser and was bailed out by Allison earlier on.

VVD - 6 - reasonably solid but the pass to Mac Allister was naive and underhit.

Matip - 6 - Showed reasonable signs he's not completely washed.

Trent - 5 - Kept Mitoma relatively quiet in the first half but there were the routine lapses of concentration throughout. He doesn't seem to be able to control games in the way he was doing last year. It all feels a bit disappointing.

Mac Allister - 3 - He got targeted but Brighton was a step too far for his ability at six. They triggered their press all around him and he flustered. His lack of pace, strength and athletism was costly. Endo should have started in hindsight.

Elliott - 4 - some neat moments of interplay and he deserves credit for the opening goal, but it was a largely ineffectual performance in and out of possession. No surprise to see him getting pulled at HT.

Szoboszlai - 6 - Mixed bag. The work rate was all there, but things didn't seem to come off for him with the ball.

Diaz - 6 - Some good moments in the deeper areas and helped us progress play down the left, but ultimately he didn't create much down the left side.

Nunez - 6 - I do not recall him getting a real chance, but his link up play was the best I've seen it. He looks more comfortable with his back to goal. I only remember one Donkey touch.

Salah - 7 - Some infuriating moments where he ran into brick walls, but he scored two goals and was probably our best bet for a third.

Subs

Gravenberch - 7 - continued to impress. The missed chance was a bitch, but he is becoming very influential in the final third. We looked better for him being on the pitch.

Konate - 5

Gomez - 3 - Someone was worse than Trent in defense.
Mostly agree.

Mac - 5 yes he made an error and was targeted but he was never a 3.

Nunez - 7 - he didn't have any real chances but that was down to our midfield not performing on the day. His link up play, strength on the ball and assists were still worthy of a 7 though.

Gomez - 5 - he made some errors but his pace was invaluable, inc, on one occasion when Mitoma skipped past him and gained 5m and what looked like a very dangerous position, but he ran flat out to get back & commit a professional foul that gained him the appreciation of his teammates. 5 is still a below average score.

As I thought pre-match, Endo (or Gravenberch) should have started in place of the rarely effectual Elliott who continually drifts into midfield causing congestion and often a lack of width. Not sure about the plaudits for leaving the ball for Mo to bury - clearly Mo told him to leave it.

Either player would have given us much better balance. We know how Brighton play with a high press. Klopp's made some brilliant tactical moves of late but this was a major mistake and cost us 2 points.

Anyone noticed how Trent has kind of evolved into a pertulent sulky sort? He seems to want to play the hard man and strut around like he has made it. He barged into March in the first half which I thought was totally unnecessary. Just play the game.

Robbo is worrying me more and more, a player can be out of form, or play the occasional brilliant game, but look at the average of his performances and he's gone from being a reliable 7 or better to a 6 or lower. Worst still is that by extending Tsimikas' contract Klopp doesn't seem to have any intention of bringing in any real competition for LB.

Anyone noticed how Trent has kind of evolved into a pertulent sulky sort? He seems to want to play the hard man and strut around like he has made it. He barged into March in the first half which I thought was totally unnecessary. Just play the game.

He started last season exactly the same way, and then improved half way through. Hopefully he reins it in sooner rather than later

Tightness at the top shows just how fucking important that call at Tottenham is going to be at the business end.
Yep. City looked crap yesterday (Arsenal better but not great in front of goal). In fact City only had 4 shots during 95 mins !

Spurs will fall away, they've been very lucky and lack squad depth. So that leaves 3 and we are definitely part of that equation. I don't think City will hit 90+ points this year ... and that opens it up for both Arsenal and us because it means we can drop points here or there and still remain in the title race.

You really think they didn't ? *rolls eyes*

Exactly.. We give away so many big chances, it's only usually ali's brilliance that saves us. It's every match..
We have the best attack in the PL, a great keeper (that is a necessity for the way we play) and a midfield and defence that can blow hot and cold (even in the same match). I'm not sure that will be enough to win the league, and the midfield could evolve during the season (I see Gravenberch, Mac and Szobo as our starting midfield), but it should be enough to keep us in the race.

How do we fix our defence? Some really basic errors in concentration. We made Virgil captain get he’s not ensuring total focus from that back line.

We also look vulnerable every time we shoehorn an AM into midfield. I love Elliot but i think Gravy or Endo should have started to ensure that midfield works.

I’m also not convinced that Matip & Trent can operate in the same line up. Konate is superior to Joel for me.

Another game we should have won with ease.

We have the best attack in the PL, a great keeper (that is a necessity for the way we play) and a midfield and defence that can blow hot and cold (even in the same match). I'm not sure that will be enough to win the league, and the midfield could evolve during the season (I see Gravenberch, Mac and Szobo as our starting midfield), but it should be enough to keep us in the race.

I saw a stat the other day that when we are playing 11 vs 11 we actually concede chances to a minimum and keep a CL spot almost league winning form.
Ali making so many saves and our numbers so far this season are heavily influenced by the amount of time we've played with 9/10 men.

But this crap of starting slow in games and giving away early goals so we are chasing the game will be our downfall eventually... I think yesterday slowed that Klopp doesn't rate endo at all as he's macallaster out of position in a role he's not suited insteady of an actual DM... This makes me believe that endo wasn't a Klopp buy

Thats just not true given that Mac Allister played most of his game as a DM for Brighton last season.

Mac Allister played as a number 10 for Brighton the few games he played as a 6 were as a double pivot along with Caicedo.

The first 25 minutes of our games are simply not up to a level of a serious team with confidence. It's like careful careful don't loose the ball and then panic goal scored against. It's the same always .

I'm they would have and do for every game but it's like that all goes out the window on match day.

Villa and West Ham both let Brighton have the ball in front of them and picked their moments to hit on the counter once they over committed, to me we're just not a side that can adapt to that and just look to play front foot, playing out the back high press...then when we lose the ball we go into panic stations and give away stupid fouls, not learning our lessons.

Absolutely this, also there were large periods of that game where I thought Brighton did not actually play the game they usually do, they did let us have the ball for large parts of the game. As is always the case - when you face a team that have just had a beating in their previous game - unless they are complete shit, it is highly unlikely they will be switched off as much as their previous game. If they had lost to Vila like 2-0 or 1-0 last week, then we would have had a better chance of beating them yesterday. It's always the case.

Mac Allister played as a number 10 for Brighton the few games he played as a 6 were as a double pivot along with Caicedo.

Not the few. The most amount of games in the entire season.

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Defensive Midfield{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Attacking Midfield{/td}
{td}11{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Central Midfield{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td}-{/td}
{td}
-{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Yes, they were in a double pivot but he played as a 6.

I think Macallister is helped by the fact that he's a somewhat big ticket player who came in for a bargain fee and everybody was happy that we signed him - I was.

I didn't watch much of Brighton's games, so can't comment with any authority about where and how well he played for them but I did very much like what I saw of him in an Argentina shirt.

But right now we have to judge him based on what he's doing for Liverpool and if we're being 100% honest, he's been dreadful after a decent start. If a lesser fancied player (such as Endo) had been turning out the last few performances, he'd have been slaughtered.

As mentioned in the match thread, there are mitigating circumstances, of course. He lacks the athleticism / positional sense to play the DM role for us - we leave ourselves far far too exposed a lot of the time. That's on Klopp... maybe it's a case of him thinking the short-term pain being worth the long-term gain, though that would suggest the plan is to have Macallister as DM in the long-term and I find it hard to believe that's the case.

Maybe try something like:

------------ Endo -- MacA
--------------- Szobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom