• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Ashes 2013-14

So it's not really a "serious question" is it?

Regardless, I'll answer.

I've always loved cricket. Not much of a thing you might suspect, but for a catholic growing up in N.Ireland in the 80s, I can promise you it's not the norm.

I never really supported one side, and obviously being Irish I never wanted England to win at anything. I've lived in Australia for over 7 year now, and going to every Test I can get to in that time (with obviously Australia playing in), I've unsurprisingly grown attached to the Australia side.

All my friends, extended family, and the rest are Australian, so it's fairly natural to support them.

So, no I don't have a "crater sized chip on the shoulder." You'll just have to accept that some people in the world don't support England.

Fair enough - it was a legit question especially when you consider it is the England and Wales cricket board and we have an Irish player in the squad - our one day captain is also Irish, and we have been captained by Scots in the past.

er.....I'm Indian....so hopefully not! England, SA etc are seasoned squads. If you take Dhoni out it's a really inexperienced and young line up for India. They started making the change after England and Australia white washed them away. Tendulkar was the last to go. But actually i think they can give a good account.

There is not a lot of points covering 2 to 5 in tests. Even S.A are not that far ahead. The test squad for India will have a heck of a lot of new faces, it will be interesting to see how they get on. Big hopes for Pujara and Rohit Sharma, (and Unmukt Chand will definitely be in that line-up sooner or later) but this is their first overseas assignment. If they can give a decent fight that will be result....the batting has a lot of potential for growth, but the bowling as always leaves a lot to be desired. It depends a bit on the form of Zaheer Khan at the moment, as he is coming back from a long injury/fitness issues.

I wouldn't read too much in to these ODIs, they got there and had to go in without any practice as the tour was truncated to accommodate Tendulkar play his 200th and last test in Mumbai. In a way it was good to have the ODIs ahead of Tests, as that was the more familiar format for the majority in the Indian team. ....

Whoops sorry mate. Pujara does look a good player, he was very difficult to dislodge when we played you last year. Dhawan is interesting - seems to be Sehwags natural successor - it will be interesting to see how your emerging batters cope away from the subcontinent. Your batting is very good but they are facing the best bowling attack. Durban particularly could be interesting. Can't wait for next years tests over here.

See De Koch got another hundred yesterday 3 on the trot, looks a very good player.

Fair enough - it was a legit question especially when you consider it is the England and Wales cricket board and we have an Irish player in the squad - our one day captain is also Irish, and we have been captained by Scots in the past.

what are the rules in cricket , how do you qualify to play for a country? How can Eoin Morgan play so many ODI for ireland but then switch to England (and wales) ?.

what are the rules in cricket , how do you qualify to play for a country? How can Eoin Morgan play so many ODI for ireland but then switch to England (and wales) ?.
It's because Ireland is only an associate member and not part of the 10 countries that make up the ICC. I get why you'd be questioning it. It does seem a little weird. Morgan has himself stated that it was always his ambition to play for England. I actually love watching Morgan play - He's probably one of my favourite (non test) players.

RE aggressive bowlers. If a bowler is being overly aggressive and bowling at a players head, can a decent batter not just twat the thing straight back at him?

Im sure it is, but can they not get some direction on it? Or would it not be worth getting caught out over?

I supported Australia before England were making concerted efforts to take Ireland's best players though.

Ya, he is some talent. Can be as good a keeper/batsmen as Sangakkara

How will he fit into the test side at the moment? With De Villiers the wicket keeper batsman does that mean he would displace Alviro Peterson, and would that upset the non white quota?

Im sure it is, but can they not get some direction on it? Or would it not be worth getting caught out over?
If you could use a tennis racket maybe but using a bat that would be difficult to control. The best way to upset an aggressive bowler is to score runs off him preferably by repeatedly nicking him through the slips!

Absolutely! Nicking 1's and 2's here and there for an aggressive bowling spell can wear down a bowler very quickly. England seem incapable of doing this at the moment though.

@athensruairi - You ever heard of the bodyline series? I'm not sure if you are even into cricket that much but the story itself makes for a good read even if you are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyline

Haddin and Smith have saved what would have been a surprisingly good day for England. A couple of wickets before close and I'll be pleased with the day.

It's slightly better than what I expected waking up, but having heard what we'd got them to earlier it's a shame we let them play there way back into it, a nice low score would have been a moral boost & perhaps opened a few cracks.

They are playing like us of four yrs ago. If top order gets out cheaply middle and tail get big scores to make up for it.

This is almost identical to first day of series.

Ashes are gone.

What the Fucks happened to the great hope Finn. Bresnan is just plodding In

I think you are being a bit unfair Fox. I thought we were pretty good from what I saw after tea. The wicket is as flat as flat - no swing no seam very nice even bounce and once the ball goes soft after 30 overs or so not as much pace either. Pretty much ideal batting conditions especially when you factor in it was 43c out on the field! It is just frustrating that we don't have a bowler like Johnson to blast out the tail.
Can't see us winning this now unless we take very quick wickets in the morning.

I thought it was a good day of cricket. Australia shades it for their fightback but encouraging from England. With this track it's has got a draw written all over it (barring an England collapse of course!)

Yep....Someone like Johnson could have been very valuable.

I went looking for some of the best bowling from Steyn....as i was trying to figure out who is more scary between Steyn and Johnson, when on song.

I think it's Steyn for me but not by much. Johnson can hurt batsmen more as he can extract sudden and steep bounce getting the batsman completely out of shape, but Steyn's moves the ball around at such pace that even if you are prepared to put the body on the line, there is no escaping at times.

Yep....Someone like Johnson could have been very valuable.

I went looking for some of the best bowling from Steyn....as i was trying to figure out who is more scary between Steyn and Johnson, when on song.

I think it's Steyn for me but not by much. Johnson can hurt batsmen more as he can extract sudden and steep bounce getting the batsman completely out of shape, but Steyn's moves the ball around at such pace that even if you are prepared to put the body on the line, there is no escaping at times.

Steyn for me every time, Steyn hits the seam whereas Johnson mostly relies on his pace. Steyn doesn't need to get on a roll he always looks as if hes going to take a wicket

I would make it tough - Steyn vs Donald?

I love Steyn - I love his cockiness, his aggression, his fire, his anger ... He is such a talented bowler.

I would make it tough - Steyn vs Donald?

I love Steyn - I love his cockiness, his aggression, his fire, his anger ... He is such a talented bowler.

When you see Steyn's strike rate it would appear like a obvious choice on that one but I think Donald was better, and unfortunately we missed a fair bit of Donald's prime in International cricket due to things out of his hand.

Both had/have such lovely action, but Donald's run up was more awesome than Steyn's.

Back
Top Bottom