• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ashes 2013-14

I managed to get my £10 on England just in time before England bowled their first ball. England were 6/1 to win the test.

When I got up this morning I found that the odds for the same bet would now be 4/5 on! :)

Sorry Portly but you might as well tear that up:(

Turn down the volume on your TV in case the neighbours are kept awake by the clattering of wickets! :D

There does need to be a review of the reasons why this Ashes tour has gone so spectacularly off the rails, but Flower should absolutely not be sacrificed at the end of it. He may have made mistakes, I don't know, but it's principally because of him that England had been doing well enough beforehand to make this such a disappointment.

has anyone caught the Kiwi-Windies game? NZ had 280+ off 21 overs in ODIs ... including fastest 100 ever (& 6th fastest) ...

There does need to be a review of the reasons why this Ashes tour has gone so spectacularly off the rails, but Flower should absolutely not be sacrificed at the end of it. He may have made mistakes, I don't know, but it's principally because of him that England had been doing well enough beforehand to make this such a disappointment.

I agree - if England were to play Australia at Lord's tomorrow, they would probably win (weather permitting! :D). Many of us feared that - as the 3-0 Ashes win in the summer flattered England - we would struggle in Australian conditions where bowlers can't get much movement in the air or off the wicket. We don't need a massive upheaval in the England setup.

Right, I'm past caring really but I'd like to see this line up today.

Cook, Root, Bell, KP, Ballance, Stokes, Bairstow, Borthwick, Broad, Anderson, Rankin

We deserve to go down 5-0, especially after pissing away such a promising position at the MCG, but a win would at least make it 4-4 in 2013/14.

That scoreline would flatter the fuck out of us, but it would at least give me some comeback against the fairweather Aussie 'supporters' I'm surrounded by who are suddenly showing an interest in cricket again after 6 years of England winning.

Fuck me why would you drop Root and keep Carberry opening?

All he's done this series is find new ways to get out. I'm gonna go for 'handled ball' in this one.

At least Root could have taken some pressure off Borthwick if he starts getting tonked.

How many times now have we had them cheap and 5 wickets down only for hadden to fuck us up with a partnership

As predicted, Carberry was like a glue-sniffing, sleep-deprived rabbit in the headlights. A rabbit that owes a lot of money to local gangster rabbits, and knows they are on their way over to his warren. And he can't do a runner, cos they know where his dad lives. And they wouldn't hesitate to torture his dad. That's how scared he looked.

Can someone please confirm that this was a new mode of dismissal? As predicted? Guiding the ball to a fucking LEG SLIP placed there specifically for that fucking shot. Two overs before stumps.

Batsmen have always considered that being caught down the leg side is an unlucky form of dismissal. It is known as being "strangled."

Yeah but usually it's off a glove/splice through to the keeper.

Not playing a fucking leg glance when you are aware that there is a bloke at fucking leg slip.

I doubt even Warner would be stupid enough to do that. And he would be a million times more of a chance to pull it off than than Carberry.

I agree. Why play the shot when the fielder is there for it. Ask KP he might know answer to that one lol.

I was worried enough when a bit of a bandwagon began to build up to take Carberry on tour, then moved on to a demand that he be selected in the side. I got even more worried when Carberry himself became an enthusiastic participant and I'm afraid his failure doesn't surprise me now. The guy's a legend in his own lunchtime.

If Carberry had rattled up century after century down under, it would have been worth persisting with him, despite the fact he is 33. I think this should mark the end of that experiment, and younger batsmen be given the opportunity to step up to test cricket.

Why drop root if he is the future. Madness. The selectors get it so wrong a lot.

Second ball of the day from Harris - Cook decides to leave the ball which hits him on the pad plumb LBW! Then Bell is dropped at slip off his first ball! :eek:

Rapidly followed by Anderson and Pietersen! 17-4. Harris and Johnson are bowling very well and getting movement off the pitch.

England has capitulated. Back to the recent past where nothing goes right.

Stokes has done well in this series.

England have very little positives to come out of this series but Stokes is one of those. He has come a long way...

Yeah but usually it's off a glove/splice through to the keeper.

Not playing a fucking leg glance when you are aware that there is a bloke at fucking leg slip.

I doubt even Warner would be stupid enough to do that. And he would be a million times more of a chance to pull it off than than Carberry.

As a left hander myself the leg glance is almost an involuntary act - it is unnatural not to play a shot in a strange way. To be fair it was a good plan from Australia - left arm around the wicket at a left hander. Leg slip is not used nearly enough imho especially at lefties. We don't seem to be able to come up with any innovative plans or stick to the ones we have.

Stokes has done well in this series.

England have very little positives to come out of this series but Stokes is one of those. He has come a long way...

At least he is showing he has some bollocks, and he balances the side a bit now we have lost Swann.
How do you think the Aussies will get on in SA ? I think they will get found out big style.

The upper-order England batsmen were a bit unlucky in my opinion. They had to face up to Johnson and Harris in good form, with a new ball and a wicket that was providing plenty of movement off the seam. I think any international team would have been in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom