• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gordons Alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet- There was a poll
Honorary Member
Liverpool’s Kaide Gordon set to return to full training after 17 months out

GettyImages-1341756630-scaled-e1688556956357-1024x681.jpg

By Caoimhe O'Neill
49m ago

Liverpool forward Kaide Gordon is set to return to full training later this month after a year and a half on the sidelines.
The 18-year-old returned to running on grass in May and The Athletic understands he will step up his comeback with the Under-21s in two weeks’ time.
The right winger, who has featured four times for Liverpool’s first team since joining from Derby County in 2021, has been out of action since February 2022.
A pelvic growth issue sidelined Gordon for almost a year and a half. In that time, he was not always able to train and was placed on a specific training programme.
Gordon will be given a personalised plan on his return, with the club careful to overload him, but his rehabilitation is currently on schedule.
It has likely been a frustrating time for the teenager, who burst onto the scene during the 2021-22 season with some eye-catching displays including a goal in the FA Cup, but has not played a competitive match since a Premier League 2 outing against Leeds United 17 months ago.
Gordon, who is highly rated and admired at Liverpool, is not expected to be on the club’s pre-season tour, which commences later this month as he continues to build his strength and fitness as part of Barry Lewtas’ Under-21 side.
Speaking recently to The Athletic, academy manager Alex Inglethorpe said: “It was a really difficult season for Kaide. Possibly even harder given where he was when he got his injury.
“But I’ve kept in touch with Kaide regularly throughout and I’d back him to find a way back to where he was. He’s certainly got the character to do that.
“As hard as it is, he probably just needs to reintegrate into the Under-21s in pre-season, find his feet and see how he is. He’s got to learn to trust his body again and get his rhythm back. After that, anything is possible.”
Gordon will likely begin the 2023-24 campaign with the Under-21s and will be focused on a return to first-team training.
It is thought a loan move early next year could be a potential option once he has returned to full match fitness.

Oh shit, totally forgot about him. The kid needs a loan move. Although, I don't think any Championship team will take a chance on him. League one at best.

Hope he can come back and kick on. Him and Doak vying for that elusive slah replacement, only to be beaten by SoBossLa

Shame those 17 months out will likely dampen any chances he had of making it with us.

Doak has now overtaken him in the development process and is younger & there's absolutely zero chance both make it.

Shame those 17 months out will likely dampen any chances he had of making it with us.

Doak has now overtaken him in the development process and is younger & there's absolutely zero chance both make it.

Ah you never know. How many times have we seen supposed bankers make the step up, only to fail. Gordon will get minutes, same as Doak

Ah you never know. How many times have we seen supposed bankers make the step up, only to fail. Gordon will get minutes, same as Doak

I'm not understanding what this has to do with what I said though?

Any injury is a killer for any young player looking to make the grade, never mind one that lengthy. The real question is how many times does a promising young player who suffers a bad injury before breaking through....end up coming back from that to play top European level football?

The expectation that because he's behind doak now, he'll never get a look in.
The only way Gordon gets minutes is if we draw some non league side in the cup.

Doak may get minutes (fingers crossed nothing bad happens) against better opposition, maybe even feature bit part in the Europa, and even that I'm not sure of.

I think Doak’s an exceptional young talent in the Owen / Rooney mould.

He’ll get plenty of minutes to develop this year.

I think Doak’s an exceptional young talent in the Owen / Rooney mould.

He’ll get plenty of minutes to develop this year.

It's a bit far fetched to think he'll just be given plenty of minutes off the back of a season where he didn't start once and was used as a sub 5 times.....playing a grand total of 60 minutes. A good indicator will be if he flies this pre-season and then isn't involved in the match day squad for our first league game.

Unless of course something drastic happens like back during the 20/21 season where all our senior CB's were fucked and Jota Gakpo Diaz Nunez were all out injured at the same time.

I'm not understanding what this has to do with what I said though?

Any injury is a killer for any young player looking to make the grade, never mind one that lengthy. The real question is how many times does a promising young player who suffers a bad injury before breaking through....end up coming back from that to play top European level football?
Maybe not the best example but didn't Martin Kelly break his leg twice during his youth/reserve days or was it someone else. But I do know that Kelly missed like 2 years of football

Maybe not the best example but didn't Martin Kelly break his leg twice during his youth/reserve days or was it someone else. But I do know that Kelly missed like 2 years of football

Probably, I don't think there was ever a period during his time here where something of his wasn't broken.

Essentially the scouse Philip Degen.

Doesn't make for great reading, Owen aside does it.....I suppose at least all the others are fairly recent which makes it kinda cool.

It's a bit far fetched to think he'll just be given plenty of minutes off the back of a season where he didn't start once and was used as a sub 5 times.....playing a grand total of 60 minutes. A good indicator will be if he flies this pre-season and then isn't involved in the match day squad for our first league game.

Unless of course something drastic happens like back during the 20/21 season where all our senior CB's were fucked and Jota Gakpo Diaz Nunez were all out injured at the same time.

Aye, in one sense it’s far fetched, but mitigated by Klopp’s usual sparing initial use of a new player, which is bound to be amplified by his tender years.

Two things spring to mind though, that he’s evidently a cut above his age group already in his youth appearances and looked the part in his short cameos for the first team.

I’m going as much on that feeling you get when an Owen or Rooney appears, that the step up for them isn’t the same as for your average young prospect and they just belong (and potentially improve) being around top level players.

We’ll see, but I think he’ll get a sniff of regular sub appearances and cup starts.

As far as I know, Gordon's injuries are related to physical growth and development. Steven Gerrard had similar issues when he was young.

This may well be one of those situations where we are more cautious and thorough with the recovery because of his age and because of that type of injury. Years ago he may well have been back a lot quicker.

I don't think the injury itself will necessarily harm his chances, but other players ahead of him might, the same as for all younger players. I think he'll stick around for a while and then go out on loan.

As far as I know, Gordon's injuries are related to physical growth and development. Steven Gerrard had similar issues when he was young.

This may well be one of those situations where we are more cautious and thorough with the recovery because of his age and because of that type of injury. Years ago he may well have been back a lot quicker.

I don't think the injury itself will necessarily harm his chances, but other players ahead of him might, the same as for all younger players. I think he'll stick around for a while and then go out on loan.
He isn't that quick is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom