• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post match QPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

keniget

6CM Addict
Administrator
Not quite sure if this is worthy of a thread because the discussion is spread over a couple other threads already and we've said it all before anyways but here it is anyways.

Rodgers gave out the old cliche about showing character in the post match interview and surely he must feel a bit embarrassed trotting that one out. We've got players that will work hard, players with great technique and young players with great potential but we do seem to be genuinely lacking in individuals that will organize and drive this team forward.

I said in the match thread that the other teams know they don't really need to fear us. If they come out willing to work and press hard, they'll get rewarded. I just don't really understand how that's being allowed to happen. Is it a case of complacency? The players thinking they're better than they actually are? The tactics? All of the above?

It definitely does seem like in the last few games the opposition have wanted it more than us and that's just disappointing to see.... before you get onto all the other problems we have to deal with.

The positives... huge 3 points, Sterling was very good (fuck off Budgie) and Coutinho looked magic.

The negatives... well, where to start.

Lovren can't be the leader / organizer he was bought in to be until he gets his own house in order and at the level he was brought in at, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect better regardless of what's around him. I find the whole "2nd best CB in the league" stat that's brought up to be really irksome (sorry Hansern). It means nothing. It might be a bit unfair to single him out given some of the performances we've suffered from others but then big money signings always do get singled out.

Things are not looking great with Balotelli. He is at odds with the rest of the team and by the looks of things, he knows it - he doesn't look happy out there. He's here now and Rodgers needs to find a way to make this work and that means not plonking him up there on his own as a lone striker. It doesn't work.

I think the game against Real Madrid will be good for us because there can be no illusions about the contest and what is expected of them. Perhaps it'll prompt a return to the basics - organization, hard work, team work and wanting it more than the opposition. All the things we've been lacking this season.

Perhaps the game against Real has come at the right time. It might be the kick up the arse that the team needs.

what have we learnt today everyone:-

1) Mario really is shit.
2) New tactics - as we are unable to score these days - let's use the same tactics in our next games until Sturridge returns, which is to kick the ball into the dangerous areas in the opposition goal area, and hope one of the opposition defenders kicks the ball into their net. This is a cost-effective method - we don't need no striker in January.

Regards,
MORON

I think apart from a couple of marvellous counters, we were poor front to back, no one is exempt from the starting 11.
Allen and Coutinho coming on did make a difference, but it wasn't night and day, we were still poor.
The defence concerns me massively, the attack misfiring seems to sort itself out one way or another, but that defence seems to be getting worse week by week, not better. Saying that, Manquillo and Moreno look good, but no one else does out of everything we have.

If Sterling gets injured.. We are fooked!

Great Cameo from Coutinho.. We need to see more of that from him..

I realise this is really scapegoaty and selectivey, especially given that was the fucking shittes team performance I’ve seen from us since Hodgson (that’s not exaggerating either, we were so bad I was pretty much hoping we wouldn’t score) but… I can’t fucking stand Jose Enrique.

Of all the eye-abortion that was served up yesterday, and there was fucking plenty (looking at you Mario, looking at you defensive shape, looking at you everyone passing it like it was a fucking drone), the constant sight of Jose fucking Enrique receiving, turning, pirouetting, losing, every single fucking time tipped me over the edge.

I can’t stand that useless cunt.

I thought it looked shambolic. Lots of players with no idea where they were supposed to be in relation to each other. Defense as panicky and soft as ever. Clueless lone centre forward. Coutinho and Sterling looked good. And after fucking years Skrtel is somehow still our best defender and he's not that good.

I realise this is really scapegoaty and selectivey, especially given that was the fucking shittes team performance I’ve seen from us since Hodgson (that’s not exaggerating either, we were so bad I was pretty much hoping we wouldn’t score) but… I can’t fucking stand Jose Enrique.

Of all the eye-abortion that was served up yesterday, and there was fucking plenty (looking at you Mario, looking at you defensive shape, looking at you everyone passing it like it was a fucking drone), the constant sight of Jose fucking Enrique receiving, turning, pirouetting, losing, every single fucking time tipped me over the edge.

Aye.

He even almost fell over his own feet. Twice.

I hate silver linings, especially when we are as fucking rubbish as we are, but I picked a scapegoat out earlier in that fuckwit Enrique, so I might as well find something out of that filth yesterday while I'm at it.

Raheem Sterling's a fucking joke. That kid is already too good for us. Without a shadow of a doubt he'll be in the top 2-3 players in the world within the next 2 years. Enjoy him while he's here, cos he'll be off for 200M by then.

I am not a fan either - to the point of, I'd rather see Cissoko back or a traffic cone at LB.

We can't have a back four of Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren and Enrique and expect them to play as a unit. I'd class Johnson and Enrique as over indulgent full backs. They'll take that extra touch on the ball, turn into trouble or causally try play it out of defense. Skrtel and Lovren also seem to play as individuals instead of working as a pairing. We are all over the place back there and our keeper isn't helping either. Classic Mingolet performance yesterday. Some excellent shot stopping combined with poor commanding of his box.

Thanks God for Sterling. Beautiful to watch in full flight. I hope he gets a chance of an explosive break against Madrid.

Coutinho was excellent in his little cameo. Goal and assist (pass to Sterling for the OG). He needs movement around him. Last year he had Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge galloping in front of him. This year he's had Balotelli standing up there with his hands on his hips. Spaced opened up for him on the break yesterday, Sterling with the run from deep and Coutinho had no problem picking out the perfect weighted pass into the space. Balotelli nearly got a tap in to win the game for us at the end but Caulker forced it in for us. We'll take OG's any day of the week but maybe that could have been the turning point for Mario. Last min winner could have been the kick starter he needed. Well, that's IF he managed to score from a yard, he has shown he is capable of missing sitters.

• GK
    • Mignolet - some great saves but also a couple of failed attempts to come and get the ball.​
  • Defence
    • Johnson and Enrique both showed why they are not worthy of starting spots - both incredibly poor defensively and I think we missed Moreno as an attacking outlet.​
    • Frustrating lack of organisation in central defence - nothing new but was hoping this might get approached in the international break​
  • Midfield
    • Emre Can - I thought he looked assured on the ball, comfortable to receive and the distribute safely. Not convinced by his positioning at times and he gives away quite a few fouls from clumsy shoulder barges but overall I would like to see him played again.​
    • The move of Stevie in the second half back a bit deeper didn't make much difference other than just another body for QPR to get through. He offered little at the tip of the diamond - Coutinho showed in his cameo why a more dynamic player is required for this position.​
    • Allen looked good when he came on, a few nervy moments but QPR were right up in his grill - we have missed his ability to retain the ball and move it onwards to an attacking player - I'd want to see him and Hendo starting on Wed.​
    • Lallana - looked lively and one of our better players up until he was subbed. Should have had the rebound to his shot converted by Mario. Great ball to Henderson who was onside and through on goal but wrongly given offside.​
    • Coutinho - back to his speed and influence of last year. He showed a willingness to run with the ball that we were missing and his injection of purpose had Sterling and Hendo making quick runs a la last season - imagine that with Studge also running around up top instead of Mario and defences will fear us again​
  • Attack
    • Mario - not much more to say that has already been said. Poor attitude and relies on others to pick up the game and take it to the oppo, the opposite of Luis in this regard. Poor miss, he really tried to hammer it in! Some of his hold up play was good and worked well when we had runners going past him but he is way off the standard we need on current form.​
    • Raheem - an epic 'fuck you' to Woy. Running all game - sometimes giving the ball away to easily but consistently a threat and I love how well he works with Hendo, Lallana and Coutinho.​

We can't have a back four of Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren and Enrique and expect them to play as a unit. I'd class Johnson and Enrique as over indulgent full backs. They'll take that extra touch on the ball, turn into trouble or causally try play it out of defense. Skrtel and Lovren also seem to play as individuals instead of working as a pairing. We are all over the place back there and our keeper isn't helping either. Classic Mingolet performance yesterday. Some excellent shot stopping combined with poor commanding of his box.

Thanks God for Sterling. Beautiful to watch in full flight. I hope he gets a chance of an explosive break against Madrid.

Coutinho was excellent in his little cameo. Goal and assist (pass to Sterling for the OG). He needs movement around him. Last year he had Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge galloping in front of him. This year he's had Balotelli standing up there with his hands on his hips. Spaced opened up for him on the break yesterday, Sterling with the run from deep and Coutinho had no problem picking out the perfect weighted pass into the space. Balotelli nearly got a tap in to win the game for us at the end but Caulker forced it in for us. We'll take OG's any day of the week but maybe that could have been the turning point for Mario. Last min winner could have been the kick starter he needed. Well, that's IF he managed to score from a yard, he has shown he is capable of missing sitters.

Agree with many of these points. Key one for me attacking wise is movement - we saw that Coutinho flourished once he had runners. I love seeing Hendo in those breaks too - i'd be tempted to see Borini start up top just to get another runner playing as that is how we best attack.

Alan Shearer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29683553

Dejan Lovren cost £20m from Southampton but, like Balotelli, he has not started his Liverpool career very well and he was given a torrid time by Zamora, who was making his first Premier League start of the season.
Zamora did almost all his work on the right, so he was up against Lovren on the left of Liverpool's defence, and brushed him aside far too easily.

As a striker, I always knew when I had the beating of a centre-back in the air and I wanted the ball put there all the time.

Zamora knew he could bully Lovren and he looked for the ball every time QPR were in possession.

He won most of the headers he went for but he was stronger than Lovren full-stop, pushing him off the ball and also running in behind him. That would really concern me if I was the Liverpool manager.

Even this dimwit can spot how much Lovern struggled.

Just thought I'd mention that Enrique had barely played for a year. If you can give other players who were injured time, surely you can give him some time as well.

Just thought I'd mention that Enrique had barely played for a year. If you can give other players who were injured time, surely you can give him some time as well.

But why play him from the beginning then after having only played 45 mins vs Spurs?

Manquillo was on the bench. Rodgers could have started Manquillo on the right and Johnson on the left.

But why play him from the beginning then after having only played 45 mins vs Spurs?

Manquillo was on the bench. Rodgers could have started Manquillo on the right and Johnson on the left.
Well then it's on Brendan.
He probably thought Enrique was fitter considering that he doesn't play internationally.

Presumably a last minute decision after Moreno was caught drinking on Friday night?

I agree, Enrique was awful yesterday, but he's more than capable back up for Moreno.

Presumably a last minute decision after Moreno was caught drinking on Friday night?

Moreno is probably being saved for Madrid, I doubt he would have been out drinking otherwise (although i'm not sure he should be on the piss during the season full stop). We need a squad, and Enrique is good enough to play against QPR, he just had a nightmare yesterday.

• Defence​
    • Frustrating lack of organisation in central defence - nothing new but was hoping this might get approached in the international break​
That's an odd thing to hope for though, given that Mignolet, Lovren and Skrtel were all called up for the internationals. Granted, Lovren got injured upon being called up and didn't play for Croatia, but that wouldn't have mattered as his CB partner was away anyway.

Not that you're saying it in your post, but I think the CB partnership thing gets overused as an excuse - some of the bad things they're doing have nothing to do with their communication with and understanding of each other, but their individual incompetence. Rushing headlong into a challenge and catching air, not following your man, stupid weak tackles, going to ground too early, etc. It'd have been more forgivable if they were screwing up because of team mistakes, such as not being in sync in stepping up, or if they didn't get their spacing right.

That they're playing like strange fuckers who haven't seen a ball in their lives, more so than being strangers to each other, is very worrying. I thought Lovren was solid in his debut but he seems to have caught the bad plague now.

Moreno is probably being saved for Madrid, I doubt he would have been out drinking otherwise (although i'm not sure he should be on the piss during the season full stop). We need a squad, and Enrique is good enough to play against QPR, he just had a nightmare yesterday.

Not sure about Friday, but a "technical reason, not injury" was cited when he was not involved in the Spain U21 game in midweek. Not sure if his absence from our matchday squad is a consequence of something related to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom