• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Arsenal (H) - Carabao Cup - Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Quick turnaround on this. Would be nice to progress so hopefully a few of our bigger guns on the fringes get time on the pitch - Shaqiri, Jota, Thiago, Minamino. Potentailly a few people missing out now that we have such depth

---------------Adrian-------------
Neco--Gomez--Williams--Kostas
---------Thiago--Milner----------
--------------Jones-------------
Shaqiri-----Minamino----Jota

Not sure about the back 4 - we are lacking many options here, and could see VVD joining Gomez again.

I would keep Thiago out - want him fit to start playing in the league ... I'll go with:

-----------------------Adrian-----------------------
Neco--------Gomez----R Williams ----Kostas
-------------Milner---------Jones---------------------
--------------------Shaq-------------------------
---Elliot------------Minamino--------Jota----

Sorry Origi ... :-(

I’d keep Gomez in. He needs to find his rhythm and sharpish. Neco starts just to protect Trent.

I’m in 2 minds about Thiago. He needs to play games but should we hold him back for the villa game?

Thiago won't be available for this game according to Klopp. Covid rumours.

“After the international break, he [Thiago] will be fine,” Klopp told Sky Sports.
“For sure and that’s the situation at the moment, he isn’t fit enough to be available tonight and that’s it.”

Ideally Rhys Williams wouldn't start because he didn't impress against Lincoln imo, but it looks like we don't have a choice. EDIT: Forgot about Koumetio. Line up amended.

Origi will definitely start.

I think it'll be:

----------------------Adrian-------------
Williams 1--Gomez--Koumetio--Kostas
--------------Jones--------Milner----------
----------------------Shaq-------------
------Minamino-------Origi-----------Jota

Last edited:
The CBs are the big concern. I mean van Djik and Gomez are the only two fit CBs, and you'd expect them to play again in 48 hours against Villa. Not ideal. You wouldn't want to start Fabinho either given that he's played 3 in a row now, and you'd want him for Villa too.

Starting Rhys Williams or Koumetio isn't really a great idea against a side like Arsenal. They're just too young to handle someone like Lacazette or Aubameyang at the moment.

It's a problem. What's up with Phillips? These are the games he should start, unless we're planning to ship him away in the coming week.

Thiago out, Klopp has already said he will miss the next 3 games.. not fully fit..

So I would go with..

Neco--------VVD -------- Phillips ----Kostas
-------------Milner---------Jones---------------------
--------------------Minamino-------------------------
---Shaq--------------Origi--------------Jota----

Gomez to come on after 45 minutes..

If Thiago is out, I think the midfield will be Milner-Grujic-Jones, and the front line will be Shaq-Origi-Minamino.

Adrian in goal, Neco and Tsimikas at the full-back positions. Just the CB selection headache to sort out.

Also, I reckon that we will probably hold on to Shaq and Grujic till January, and see if we can rehab their value by giving them these games. Both are obviously good players, but haven't attracted much attention simply because they haven't played much in a while. A nice run of games, and we should see some bids coming in come January.

If Thiago is out, I think the midfield will be Milner-Grujic-Jones, and the front line will be Shaq-Origi-Minamino.

Adrian in goal, Neco and Tsimikas at the full-back positions. Just the CB selection headache to sort out.

Also, I reckon that we will probably hold on to Shaq and Grujic till January, and see if we can rehab their value by giving them these games. Both are obviously good players, but haven't attracted much attention simply because they haven't played much in a while. A nice run of games, and we should see some bids coming in come January.
So who is Grujic going to play instead of?

The CBs are the big concern. I mean van Djik and Gomez are the only two fit CBs, and you'd expect them to play again in 48 hours against Villa. Not ideal. You wouldn't want to start Fabinho either given that he's played 3 in a row now, and you'd want him for Villa too.

Starting Rhys Williams or Koumetio isn't really a great idea against a side like Arsenal. They're just too young to handle someone like Lacazette or Aubameyang at the moment.

It's a problem. What's up with Phillips? These are the games he should start, unless we're planning to ship him away in the coming week.

You’re assuming Arsenal will go full strength. I doubt they will. They also play on Sunday and will most likely prepare for that game instead.

Normally I'm not one of those that thinks the League Cup should be binned but this season is different.

We have a congested fixture list and every team seems concerned about injuries mounting up due to the lack of a proper summer holiday / pre-season.

Arsenal will put out a B team but normally theirs is quite strong. For me this should be treated as a free hit - much like last season. If we get through, good on the kids, if we get dumped out, meh.

-------------------Adrian-------------
Williams --Gomez--Koumetio--Kostas
------------------ Grujic
------------- Milner --- Jones
--- Shaq --------- Origi ---- Minanimo

I’d keep Gomez in. He needs to find his rhythm and sharpish. Neco starts just to protect Trent.

I’m in 2 minds about Thiago. He needs to play games but should we hold him back for the villa game?

He was boss yesterday that Gomez lad.

Arsenal line up vs Leicester in the last round:

• 1Leno
  • 16Holding
  • 23David Luiz
  • 31Kolasinac
  • 15Maitland-Niles
  • 28Willock
  • 25Elneny
  • 7Saka
  • 19Pépé
  • 30Nketiah
  • 24Nelson

Sharpish is the wrong word. I think we see spells where he’s like a thoroughbred and others where he can be erratic. I want him to play to get that thoroughbred rhythm.

Quick turnaround on this. Would be nice to progress so hopefully a few of our bigger guns on the fringes get time on the pitch - Shaqiri, Jota, Thiago, Minamino. Potentailly a few people missing out now that we have such depth

---------------Adrian-------------
Neco--Gomez--Williams--Kostas
---------Thiago--Milner----------
--------------Jones-------------
Shaqiri-----Minamino----Jota

Not sure about the back 4 - we are lacking many options here, and could see VVD joining Gomez again.
I definitely wouldn't put Gomez back in after just 3 days between. He's just back from injury and it would be wise not to press him back into service.

Koumetio is a good shout.

I feel that as long as we put a strong forward line (one that has Jota and Minamino in) we should keep them on the back foot. They'll surely play their new shite backup GK who will be forced to play out from the back. Could be a fun game of pressing them high up the pitch.

Origi 100% starts

Our defence was shite last round without VVD but can’t be having him play 3 games in 6 days this early

Arsenal line up vs Leicester in the last round:
  • 1Leno
  • 16Holding
  • 23David Luiz
  • 31Kolasinac
  • 15Maitland-Niles
  • 28Willock
  • 25Elneny
  • 7Saka
  • 19Pépé
  • 30Nketiah
  • 24Nelson

Arsenal have a large experienced squad. This is going to be a much tougher game to win than yesterday's.

Maybe.:

• Macey
  • Chambers
  • Gabriel
  • Sokratis / Saliba
  • Kolasinac
  • Guendouzi
  • Willock
  • Saka
  • Pépé
  • Nketiah
  • Nelson

Neco------Koumetio----R Williams ----Kostas
---------------Milner---------Jones---------------------
---------------------Minamino-------------------------
---Shaq.-------------Origi ----------- Jota

Thursday to Sunday is too short a turnaround to gamble with Gomez or VvD for me.
Or swap Shaq. with Minamino since Shaq. was MotM for me last time out in the centre.

Neco------Koumetio----R Williams ----Kostas
------------------------ Fab---------------------
-----------------Grujic--------------Jones--------
---Shaq.------------- Minamino ----------- Jota

although I feell Minamino is at his best when playing behind the front three, the back four has not had the experince at this level, and would benifit from Fabinho's cover in front of them. Would also add that while VVD could do with the rest, that I would sonner chance him play and not picking up an injury than I would Gomez or Matip

Not in the league of course, but I think him and Shaq will keep starting in the League Cup and may be the FA Cup as well.
No, I meant who does he replace in the line up for the up coming game against Arsenal?

How about.Grujic in defense?

I see the same team starting as against Lincoln, anyway. Maybe Jota in from the beginning somehow

How about we just start off by gifting them two pens and a red card?
Nah, don't want Grujic anywhere near the box.
Doesn't seem like anyone is gonna buy him so I figure we may as well see where he can be useful for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom