• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sturridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peatcheo

Well-Known
We have been linked with Daniel Sturridge regularly over the past month or so and are rumoured to be making a bid in January. Does anyone think that this is the right move. He is a player who will cost at least £12 million - £15 million who currently does not start for his club.

Are any of the forum for this signing, or is it another case of English premium once again inflating the price of a player yet to prove he is worth a double figures fee?

Ince AND Sturridge could produce a strop of nuclear proportions. Or they might introduce speed, energy, versatility and imagination into the team. It's a gamble.

Sturridge and Ince edge closer to Liverpool switch as Rodgers plans £18m winter raid

By DOMINIC KING
PUBLISHED: 23:09, 11 December 2012 | UPDATED: 23:09, 11 December 2012
Liverpool will unveil a new £18million strike force in January after taking significant steps to securing deals for Daniel Sturridge and Thomas Ince.
It has been Brendan Rodgers wish for Liverpool to get their business in the New Year done early and they now are on the brink of landing their two prime targets.
Chelsea forward Sturridge is expected to cost Liverpool in the region of £12million, while they will have to pay Blackpool in the region of £6million to take Ince back to Anfield 18 months after letting him leave for £250,000.

article-0-1659B5DB000005DC-811_224x423.jpg

article-0-166A6E5D000005DC-689_224x423.jpg

Double bubble: Sturridge and Ince look set for a switch to Anfield

Sturridge, who is currently in Japan with Chelsea at the Club World Cup, almost joined Liverpool in August but did not want to move on an initial loan deal. Rodgers, though, has remained an admirer and his transfer will be completed when the window opens.
Ince, meanwhile, will also be brought in to ease the burden on leading scorer Luis Suarez. He left Anfield in August 2011 and has since made eye-catching progress at Bloomfield Road, winning five England Under 21 caps this season.
Rodgers said last month he was looking for players "who would really help take the club forward" and both 20-year-old Ince and Sturridge, 23, fit the criteria of players who Liverpool look to buy. Rodgers remains keen on Arsenal’s Theo Walcott but he would be a signing for next summer.
It promises to be a significant transfer window for how Rodgers shapes Liverpool’s squad. He remains on the look-out for a left-back, as Stewart Downing has been told he is free to leave if they receive a suitable offer.
But whether Joe Cole follows suit is not certain. The former England midfielder made a significant contribution to Sunday's 3-2 win at West Ham, scoring Liverpool’s crucial second goal and Rodgers has challenged Cole to maintain that form.
'I'm just going along game by game,’ said Rodgers. ‘It's not just about the games. Every player gets a chance every single day to show what they are all about. Joe just has to continue to look to get that consistency in his fitness. He's a terrific lad and I feel for him at times. He's working so hard.’
Cole has never given any indication that he wants to leave Anfield and has stated several times his determination to become a success on Merseyside. He hopes to use his performance at Upton Park as a catalyst for a prolonged spell in the squad.
'I am going in every day and just giving my all,’ said Cole. ‘That is all I can do. When I am called upon, I will do the best job that I can. My only focus is on the next game and trying to keep my place in the squad for when we play Aston Villa.
'We are trying to push on to get our third win in a row and take the club forward. The goal meant a lot to me because it came at a crucial time in an important game.
'It has been difficult recently but I have scored in my last two appearances and I want to keep the sequence going if I can.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2246684/Daniel-Sturridge-Thomas-Ince-closer-Liverpool-switch.html#ixzz2EmzfANRd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Was there a rumour we turned a loan for sturrdge down in summer true and now we want to sign for millions?

I hope Rafa vetoes it for Liverpool's sake.

Seriously though, how do you picture us lining up with Sturridge and Suarez in the team?
One of them has to be moved to wing or play as a supporting striker and I really don't think Sturridge fits the bill.

If we're buying Sturridge he has to play upfront. He's absolutely useless on the wing imo.

Ince?? Really...it's just hype. We already have Assaidi, he might not be as direct as Ince but I don't see Ince taking us to the next level not Assaidi for that matter.

To be honest I think it's all about Sturridge and Ince's agents looking for another pay day. One is barely playing the other is the flavour of the season.

Are we going for the youngest team in the league award?

I wanted Sturridge as part of the Torres deal and its fair to say I'd still like him to come to the club.

He's not going to make us brilliant all by himself, like how Suarez does and Torres before him, but he's decent enough and I think there's more potential in him than most.

In ideal world we would combine the fee's and buy one decent attacking player for £18 million +

In Reality, we will end up paying £25 million for the pair.

In ideal world we would combine the fee's and buy one decent attacking player for £18 million +

In Reality, we will end up paying £25 million for the pair.

Now that's called having some sense.

Sturridge just seems to be everything Rodgers doesn't want in his player. Greedy, selfish, shite attitude, overpriced.
I really don't understand our interest in him.
I'd rather go for a south american unknown or a player from the continent if we're spending 6 fecking million quid on Ince. Actually I feel the same way for the 12 mil for Sturridge.
What's the point of having this supposedly improved scouting network and then going for a Chelsea outcast and a Liverpool outcast from 6 months ago?
18m plus Downing sale will give us more money than what we paid for Suarez or Torres.
Fuck Sturridge and Ince.

I don't want players that will frustrate Suarez. We need to build our team around one of the best attacking players in the world. Not deprive him of opportunities by bringing in the greediest player in the league.

I don't want players that will frustrate Suarez. We need to build our team around one of the best attacking players in the world. Not deprive him of opportunities by bringing in the greediest player in the league.

Couldn't agree more.

I used to really rate Sturridge but he seems to have stalled.
12m is such a lot of money for a non starting player.

Ive heard Shane long is more likely.

Does he have a shite attitude though? I'm not so sure anymore.
And greedy? Well that is something strikers should be.

If we sign Shane Long I give up, but there is probably zero chance of us signing him regardless judging by Clarkes comments and the ridiculous fee mentioned.

obviously this isn't some football management game and many things have to come into consideration when signing players , but it's strange how near we (and others in fairness ) cast our net . I mean for the money mentioned we could surely get some top south american talent , perhaps beat porto to the player before they have him for 2 seasons and sell him on for 10 times what they paid .

I've never really been a fan of Sturridge. I thought I might have been wrong when he was playing well at Bolton, but I still think he's an ok player, with what seems like a shit attitude. My Irish bias forces me to like Shane Long, but I don't want him either. Surely there's better options out there for 12million, not that I could name them out mind, but is that not what a scouting network is for?

Sturridge hasn't exactly been given much chance to show he is any if these things lately. What I do know is when he was given a chance at Bolton with regular matches he took it.

regards

That's not a bad deal, but you kinda get the impression we could go out and get someone of cutting edge quality to really make a difference. I do rate Sturridge though, he'll score goals and he can be a handful. Getting two players in will give us a bit more depth in the attacking areas.

I think that signing Sturridge is more of a gamble than signing Bent.

Long is a busy player, can you imagine how much defenders would hate having to chase him and Suarez around?

Sturridge hasn't exactly been given much chance to show he is any if these things lately. What I do know is when he was given a chance at Bolton with regular matches he took it.

Did well initially when he returned to Chelsea too. When given the chance up to Christmas, he had 10 goals and 3 assists in the 19 games he played in, across all competitions. Fell into a slump after that and scored and assisted only once each in the 15 games he played in up till mid-March. His minutes fell off a cliff after that; his minutes have totally caved this season.

I think there's a good player in there given what he's done at Bolton and in the first half of last season's campaign. Whether he lands here or not, he does need to get out of Chelsea if he fancies a proper career with playing time going forward.

Seriously though, how do you picture us lining up with Sturridge and Suarez in the team?
One of them has to be moved to wing or play as a supporting striker and I really don't think Sturridge fits the bill.

If we're buying Sturridge he has to play upfront. He's absolutely useless on the wing imo.

Ince?? Really...it's just hype. We already have Assaidi, he might not be as direct as Ince but I don't see Ince taking us to the next level not Assaidi for that matter.

I don't think Rafa's still going to be there come January.

I agree re: Ince. I think this would be a mistake - esp if the fee being mentioned (6 mill) is accurate.

As for Sturridge - he scored almost all his goals early on last season playing on the 'wing' of the 4-3-3 that AVB was using.

English players prices are inflated and they're not all that good bar the few exceptional talents. I think Sturridge can do a job for us but I'd rather get Huntelaar in at 4-5M. Proven goalscorer wherever he's went. Ince is the flavour at Wolves but can he cut it in the Premiership? There's plenty of young proven German talent that we can get in at decent value to improve the team.

I wanted Sturridge as part of the Torres deal and its fair to say I'd still like him to come to the club.

He's not going to make us brilliant all by himself, like how Suarez does and Torres before him, but he's decent enough and I think there's more potential in him than most.
I was hoping we'd get him when he left Citeh too. He looked excellent, good footballing brain, good technique. Just hope he is really up for being one of the main men in a team, rather than a bit part player. He scores goals, attacks the six yard box (which is something we fail to do quite often) and think he would be a decent buy.
As far as position goes, I think if him, Sterling and Luis are allowed to switch around up front - drop deep, drift out wide either side, go through the middle, they will be a handful for any defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom