• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

He’ll Slot right in

Fair enough. I think the advantage of data-driven approach - when done well - is that it allows you to unearth potential gems before their quality has a chance to translate into obvious success and they become hot property. By the time media and fans catch on, it’s usually too late.

It’s a pretty obvious concept with players, but when it comes to evaluating coaches I’m thinking of someone like Brendan Rodgers who went through a couple cycles of being linked with big jobs in seasons when he was doing great at Leicester and the likes of Arsenal wanted him and other periods when he was almost a laughingstock - unlike certain big clubs who still make their hiring decisions mostly based on publicity and other non-football factors, a data-driven approach would probably show a truer picture of Rodgers’ strengths and shortcomings as a manager, correcting for randomness and luck. We all know the story of how Edwards hired Klopp on the back of a disastrous season at Dortmund after concluding based on numbers that it was nothing but random misfortune and didn’t reflect on his quality as a coach.

All of this to say, it’s always easier to swim with the media tide, to chase the next big thing - this season it’s been Alonso and Amorim, next season it will probably be someone completely different. Fans want a name they know and constantly hear in the press, it feels safer, but it’s an illusion. I feel much better about getting someone who satisfies specific underlying statistical parameters that were set before any names were even considered - and I’m sure that’s exactly the process that led our recruitment team to Slot.

I’ll finish where I started - all of this works only if people in charge of the operation really know what they are doing. Stats provide you with a few kernels of useful information buried in an ocean of noise and you can go totally astray if you don’t know what to look for. Fortunately we have a team that have done it successfully before, so I think their chances of getting this appointment spot-on are reasonably high. And as for media narratives or whether fans initially feel “underwhelmed,” I honestly couldn’t give a toss.
It's one thing taking a statistical chance on a player - quite another on a manager who affects the destiny of the club.

This guy has all the potential issues I had with Amorim, except on another level. Managing in a crap league, no real experience in Europe (failed to get out of the group stage, though with wins against Lazio and Celtic the feathers in his cap), no experience of managing at a top club or top players etc. The difference between Klopp's appointment and Slot's (if it happens) is huge.

What we need after Klopp is tactical evolution, I've no idea exactly what that looks like but I didn't want a Klopp replica in miniature.

There was a great option, Emery, who fulfills almost every criteria (and who the Villa players love) and has a history at top clubs and a superb European record. He was my choice from the beginning (after Xabi) and I'm sure if we had gone after him seriously we could have got him, I imagine he's now extended at Villa because we didn't. Of course IF it is Slot then I'll support him but I'll not have any confidence in him until proven, he's very much an Ange appointment (in fact Spurs preferred Slot over Ange but he turned them down).

Last edited:
Well yes so since we can't outspend other teams, intangibles like charisma, motivation, and uh aura do come into play which are things that fans are quite good at assessing even if we aren't so good at analysing tactics etc. Slot just doesn't seem to inspire the same fire and passion as Amorim and Alonso although the Feyenoord fans seem to like him (not as much as Sporting fans like Alonso, though?) Would potentially world class players want to come and play for Arne Slot? Guess that's what's on my mind. Happy to leave everything else to the computer.

Anyway, since you've watched them, how does Slot ball compare to Alonso ball or Amorim ball?
Feyenoord fans like him because he won just their 2nd title in 20+ years. In that situation who wouldn't like him?

Tea time you mean!!
I had proper decent sausages from the butchers, mash with loads of cream and butter smothered in gravy for dinner.
Kangaroo wants a word with you.

So does the Chicken Parma.
I bet you lot munch on Kanagroo and Vegemite butties.
The fuck is this!!!!

I think you’ll find The Ulster Fry is superior to any “Full English” wank.
Ulster fry is good every now and then. That’s as far as I’ll go.
A cunt then.
A winning cunt.

I actually don’t think he is a cunt. That’s a Sky Sports narrative. See how much he’s liked by the other drivers.

This is harder to quantify, because there are so many different ways to win. If you input the last 10 years of EPL into a computer, the answer will be simple - copy Guardiola as closely as possible and you’ll probably be successful. But in reality of course that’s not possible or maybe even desirable.

This is where the vision of a DOF and the owners comes in. They know we will always be outspent by at least 3-4 clubs - so you have to prioritize hiring a manager who can compete and win against teams with bigger resources. Alonso, Amorim and Slot all share this trait.
I think if you asked the computer to pick a manager who has the best chance of wining the PL without Guardiola's budget, you'd get "the closest thing to Klopp"

"Dutch club annoyed with his agent constantly offering him elsewhere" - I am assuming it's the same agent who got him the Feyenoord job (during which the flirtation with another club got him the sack at AZ Alkmaar).

View: https://twitter.com/LewisSteele_/status/1782854891460857978

"Sources say the Dutch club are growing increasingly frustrated at Slot’s agent, Rafaela Pimenta, constantly offering him to other clubs. The manager is said to have a significant amount of power over transfers at Feyenoord and the club has been willing to give him what he demands."

His agent:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F20NqkqhOk4

His assistant manager Sipke Hulshoff was brought in as assistant manger of the national team by Koeman in 2022.

“Sipke is an innovative field trainer, who complements our technical staff well,” Koeman stated. “In my staff I always try to bring people together who reinforce each other. I think we succeeded.”

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
"Dutch club annoyed with his agent constantly offering him elsewhere" - I am assuming it's the same agent who got him the Feyenoord job (during which the flirtation with another club got him the sack at AZ Alkmaar).

View: https://twitter.com/LewisSteele_/status/1782854891460857978

"Sources say the Dutch club are growing increasingly frustrated at Slot’s agent, Rafaela Pimenta, constantly offering him to other clubs. The manager is said to have a significant amount of power over transfers at Feyenoord and the club has been willing to give him what he demands."

Arne Slut.

Urgh

Everything I read makes it sound worse. I woke up this morning and was ready to give the idea a chance, but god damn

Would you throw him into the Bernabeu ? You wouldn’t.

So why would anyone throw a noob into Anfield then ?

We aren’t some mid table club like Spurs where you can beta test your Ange or Slotball.

I wish I didn't watch that "inspiring speech" video. Can't force myself to give the guy a chance after that

I'm curious why Spurs went for Postecoglou over Slot last year and why we suddenly are in for him

My Feyenoord and Liverpool supporting mate (he's from Rotterdam but spend some time in England) said Slot would be a great fit for us
Haha well that’s changed my mind on him then. If your mate says he’s a good fit that’s enough for me!

I wish I didn't watch that "inspiring speech" video. Can't force myself to give the guy a chance after that

In that team talk video, he was speaking to a squad with 80+% of players between the age of 21-24 + a few who became international debutants (that season).

=====

From a pessimistic point of view, one of the factors behind Feyenoord's 22/23 title win was because of the weakening of their rivals.

Players Ajax and PSV lost in 22/23's transfer windows:
- Mazraoui, Gravenberch, Haller, Martínez, Tagliafico, Schuurs, Antony
- Götze, Dōan, Gakpo, Madueke

The "biggest name" players he has ever managed in his career so far are the likes of Koopmeiners and Kokcu who were around 21-23 yrs old when they played under him.

Regarding attacking play, this season, Gimenez had a run of 13 league goals in 8 games between Aug to Oct but 2 in the past 12 league games - during which there were two 0-0 draws and six one goal margin wins.

Hopefully he can translate his ideas to more experienced players and deal with stronger defences.

I think FSG's seasonal target for Klopp's successor is CL qualification and a respectable pts gap from the eventual Champions, with anything else being a bonus. With the core of players we have, it will take quite a poor manager not to achieve that (CL qualification, that is).

In that team talk video, he was speaking to a squad with 80+% of players between the age of 21-24 + a few who became international debutants (that season).

=====

From a pessimistic point of view, one of the factors behind Feyenoord's 22/23 title win was because of the weakening of their rivals.

Players Ajax and PSV lost in 22/23's transfer windows:
- Mazraoui, Gravenberch, Haller, Martínez, Tagliafico, Schuurs, Antony
- Götze, Dōan, Gakpo, Madueke

The "biggest name" players he has ever managed in his career so far are the likes of Koopmeiners and Kokcu who were around 21-23 yrs old when they played under him.

Regarding attacking play, this season, Gimenez had a run of 13 league goals in 8 games between Aug to Oct but 2 in the past 12 league games - during which there were two 0-0 draws and six one goal margin wins.

Hopefully he can translate his ideas to more experienced players and deal with stronger defences.

I think FSG's seasonal target for Klopp's successor is CL qualification and a respectable pts gap from the eventual Champions, with anything else being a bonus. With the core of players we have, it will take quite a poor manager not to achieve that.
Even better would be we don’t touch this guy with a barge pole!

Back
Top Bottom