• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Lucas in the top 20 CM's in the Premiership ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=47011.msg1405600#msg1405600 date=1317110401]
The whole thread is a bit pointless really, well the arguments within are.

Those who don't rate him exaggerate how bad he is. Those who do, go round in circles fighting an argument that they compound with "well I know we can do better".

Why don't you all just agree that:

He's a nice bloke and a great pro

He never lets his head drop amidst some pretty shocking barracking at times

He's had some good games against good teams

He's had some shit games against not very good teams

His statistics are neither here nor there, being able to pass it sideways or backwards successfully 90% of the time equates to nothing

While his ability to break up the play and cover ground shouldn't go unrecognised, neither should his ability to always give away dangerous fouls around the box.

We can do better. I think we're all agreed on this. While he's not the worst player in the World, he's far from the best and at the minute I'd suggest he IS playing poorly and he WAS poor against Wolves, he gave away four needless freekicks off the top of my head, which is more or less typical of his general game.

Yeah he gets some unwarranted stick at times, but those criticising are mostly doing so because he's symptomatic of Liverpool these days, people like to dress players up as better than they are and that's where we're falling short. He plays because we've got no one else, not because he's good enough to hold off the competition, it's because there isn't any.

As for going on about "fans", well no one's called him a cunt much since Brendan left, are we not allowed an expressively negative opinion of a player these days? There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, just don't call him a cunt because he isn't. He's just not that great a footballer.

[/quote]

On the money

Gerrard is our best defensive midfielder if he play there. I sometimes wonder whether some of the children here fucking know what there are talking about. Its like some nonsense you heard at your kindergarten lunch table.

[quote author=The_Rule link=topic=47011.msg1405616#msg1405616 date=1317112591]

The main problem is we are all fed up of watching him lumbering around on the pitch when we fucking know we should and deserve a better player than him.
[/quote]

I would debate the use of the word 'deserve' myself.

[quote author=The_Rule link=topic=47011.msg1405621#msg1405621 date=1317113529]
Gerrard is our best defensive midfielder if he play there. I sometimes wonder whether some of the children here fucking know what there are talking about. Its like some nonsense you heard at your kindergarten lunch table.
[/quote]

Gerrard could be our best player in many positions, it doesn't warrant moving him there.

Gerrard is also our best right back, right winger, attacking midfielder, second striker. And probably centre back, left back and left winger if given the chance. He can only play one position at a time though.

He actually wasn't that great at DM when GH insisted on playing him there for a spell. Regrettably he probably WOULD be the best we can do there just now, which underlines the fact that we still have some way to go.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47011.msg1405629#msg1405629 date=1317114068]
He actually wasn't that great at DM when GH insisted on playing him there for a spell. Regrettably he probably WOULD be the best we can do there just now, which underlines the fact that we still have some way to go.
[/quote]

Yep, also true. Weakest midfield we've had for many years

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47011.msg1405618#msg1405618 date=1317112710]
[quote author=RedZeppelin link=topic=47011.msg1405617#msg1405617 date=1317112604]
[quote author=ILD link=topic=47011.msg1405589#msg1405589 date=1317108690]

To reiterate Lucas is our best DM and he isn't as bad as you and others make out. I'm not even his biggest fan but I do think he has earned our respect.
[/quote]

Ok so it's true that he does deserve respect for some of his performances, he's more than decent at times and he's the best DM we have at the moment....but he's still not good enough or consistent enough if we want to be up there with the very best .

Look it's pretty simple ...if he was shit hot like some make out then 90% of fans wouldn't have a problem at all , but he's not , that's why he's debated so much .
[/quote]

Who has said he is shit hot?
[/quote]

some

Exaggeration again, I don't think they have really, people just get a bit defensive about their views. I don't remember many people defending him as a World beater, just that alot of the good things he does go unrecognised.

[quote author=RedZeppelin link=topic=47011.msg1405634#msg1405634 date=1317114437]
[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47011.msg1405618#msg1405618 date=1317112710]
[quote author=RedZeppelin link=topic=47011.msg1405617#msg1405617 date=1317112604]

To reiterate Lucas is our best DM and he isn't as bad as you and others make out. I'm not even his biggest fan but I do think he has earned our respect.
[/quote]

Ok so it's true that he does deserve respect for some of his performances, he's more than decent at times and he's the best DM we have at the moment....but he's still not good enough or consistent enough if we want to be up there with the very best .

Look it's pretty simple ...if he was shit hot like some make out then 90% of fans wouldn't have a problem at all , but he's not , that's why he's debated so much .
[/quote]

[/quote]

some
[/quote]

Who ?

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47011.msg1405627#msg1405627 date=1317113820]
Gerrard is also our best right back, right winger, attacking midfielder, second striker. And probably centre back, left back and left winger if given the chance. He can only play one position at a time though.
[/quote]

I think gerrard being the best left sided player in an attacking or defensive position is a stretch. also for england I didn't think gerrard was all that covering lampard's forward runs, england was left far too exposed. gerrard's natural instincts are to get fowards and will leave gaps in and around him when he does so.
I actually advocated that gerrard play as far up the pitch as possible and given as many defensive duties as possible, I said this after the FA cup final, we then bought torres and gerrard was played as the second striker and had his best seasons in a liverpool shirt. gerrard isn't a defensive player and shouldn't be used as such.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=47011.msg1405636#msg1405636 date=1317114505]
Exaggeration again, I don't think they have really, people just get a bit defensive about their views. I don't remember many people defending him as a World beater, just that alot of the good things he does go unrecognised.
[/quote]

when I talk about lucas I advocate his position in the team because I feel he is the best defensive midfielder on our book (well, except kuyt of course ::) ) maybe that is a measure of his ability of the measure of how we have declined in the middle of the park over the past 3 years, nontheless it is what it is.

people can argue spearing would do a better job (I don't think so based on what I've seen up to date)
people can argue jonjo would do a better job (I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement either way)
people can argue gerrard would a better job (I don't think so based on gerrard's performances for england in the role)

I certainly think we can improve on lucas with a holding midfielder of strength and mobility but I do think lucas is the best holding midfielder on our books. I think we paired gerrard with jonjo (for example) we'd get raped in defense because I simple don't think our defense is up for playing without dedicated protection and gerrard and one of adam or jonjo wouldn't offer that and whilst spearing would offer more protection than adam I simply don't think he is better than lucas.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=47011.msg1405641#msg1405641 date=1317114709]
As few defensive duties as poss.then, surely. ;)
[/quote]

of course ;)

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47011.msg1405640#msg1405640 date=1317114608]
[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47011.msg1405627#msg1405627 date=1317113820]
[/quote]

I think gerrard being the best left sided player in an attacking or defensive position is a stretch. also for england I didn't think gerrard was all that covering lampard's forward runs, england was left far too exposed. gerrard's natural instincts are to get fowards and will leave gaps in and around him when he does so.
I actually advocated that gerrard play as far up the pitch as possible and given as many defensive duties as possible, I said this after the FA cup final, we then bought Torres and gerrard was played as the second striker and had his best seasons in a liverpool shirt. gerrard isn't a defensive player and shouldn't be used as such.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was exaggerating a little about the left side. The point still stands, he can only play in one position, and it should be in the one that improves the team the most. At one stage it was as a second striker, we're not actually doing too bad there now, I'd say attacking midfield is where we need him most at present.

[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47011.msg1405646#msg1405646 date=1317115207]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47011.msg1405640#msg1405640 date=1317114608]
[/quote]

I actually advocated that gerrard play as far up the pitch as possible and given as many defensive duties as possible, I said this after the FA cup final, we then bought Torres and gerrard was played as the second striker and had his best seasons in a liverpool shirt. gerrard isn't a defensive player and shouldn't be used as such.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was exaggerating a little about the left side. The point still stands, he can only play in one position, and it should be in the one that improves the team the most. At one stage it was as a second striker, we're not actually doing too bad there now, I'd say attacking midfield is where we need him most at present.
[/quote]

when gerrard is back to full fitness I bet any money we go to 4-3-3 with gerrard on the right, adam on the left and downing forward position with suarez and carroll.

[quote author=Sunny link=topic=47011.msg1405639#msg1405639 date=1317114594]
[quote author=RedZeppelin link=topic=47011.msg1405634#msg1405634 date=1317114437]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

some
[/quote]

Who ?
[/quote]

Ha - is this a german site or something where we need to be 100% specific , everything must be exact fact and backed up ? "if he was shit hot like some make out" is obviously an exaggeration to express a point , you know , something that is done nearly every day in most languages . If i change it to " if he was slightly above average like some make out" would you be happier ?

it's annoying that fergie seems to able to pick up solid centre backs with pace strength and mobility that need a minimum of protection therefore minimising the need for an out and out holding midfielder.

[quote author=RedZeppelin link=topic=47011.msg1405656#msg1405656 date=1317116234]
Ha - is this a german site or something where we need to be 100% specific , everything must be exact fact and backed up ? "if he was shit hot like some make out" is obviously an exaggeration to express a point , you know , something that is done nearly every day in most languages . If i change it to " if he was slightly above average like some make out" would you be happier ?

[/quote]

You vill speak ze truth or suffer ze conzeequences dumbkopf ! :police:

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47011.msg1405663#msg1405663 date=1317116697]
it's annoying that fergie seems to able to pick up solid centre backs with pace strength and mobility that need a minimum of protection therefore minimising the need for an out and out holding midfielder.
[/quote]

Its annoying that midfielders who can only perform one facet of the job exist at all. They never used to.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=47011.msg1405665#msg1405665 date=1317117089]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47011.msg1405663#msg1405663 date=1317116697]
[/quote]

Its annoying that midfielders who can only perform one facet of the job exist at all. They never used to.

[/quote]

There's lots of annoying things that have happened to the game. But there's not much you can do about it. Football evolves, you can either go with it, or fall behind.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=47011.msg1405650#msg1405650 date=1317115493]
[quote author=Gerry_A_Trick link=topic=47011.msg1405646#msg1405646 date=1317115207]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

when gerrard is back to full fitness I bet any money we go to 4-3-3 with gerrard on the right, adam on the left and downing forward position with suarez and carroll.
[/quote]

I'll take that bet. While I agree that Stevie will most likely play an essentially attacking role, I don't think it'll be a specifically right-sided one.

Lucas Job is to break up play and keep posession.
He does that beautifully.

Our missfiring forward line have missed a shitload of chances that should have seen us get 5 more points than we have and be just 1 point off the top.
And as a by product the flak falls on the team as a whole.....and once again Lucas. Who to be clear has been pretty good so far.

If we had taken half the chances we had made we would be flying high, its pretty shameful that the massive red eye of hate INSTANTLY turns on Lucas when we arent on top form.

All of this 'if we want to be the best we need better than Lucas' doesnt wash with me at all. Its not Lucas who isnt creating anything from the right. Its not Lucas who isnt justifying a 35m price tag. Its not Lucas who is missing two or three sitters every game. Its not Lucas who got sent off against spurs. Its not Lucas who cost us goals against Stoke or Sunderland or anyone else for that matter.

Battle for possession. Keep possession.
Lucas does it beautifully and would be one of the first names on my team sheet.

[quote author=RedZeppelin link=topic=47011.msg1405656#msg1405656 date=1317116234]
[ If i change it to " if he was slightly above average like some make out" would you be happier ?

[/quote]

If you said that, you wouldn't have a point. That's exactly what "some" are saying. He's above average and not as bad as he is made out. And they are right.

Basically, you made a statement up to make an imaginary point.

This is a great example of the SCM Lucas debates.

I mean I'll concede he's above average for the general male population, but as he's the worst DM we've ever had, considerably lower than average for us.

[quote author=Krump link=topic=47011.msg1405724#msg1405724 date=1317121590]
Above whose average?
[/quote]

The people making the statement obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom