• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll New Manager speculation

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who'll will be the new manager?

• Xabi

Votes: 63 87.5%
  • Harry Potter

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Some old dude like Ancelloti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A cool dude in a suit

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

• De Zerbi

• Unai Emery

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Zinedine Zidane

• Ange Postawotever (for Dreamie)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations..you have just reached peak clutching for reasons not to appoint Alonso.

Nagelsmann was sacked from Bayern, official reason was they were terrible in close games and a bad culture fit.

The unofficial reasons were the players hated him and he was leaking stories to the press.

Do you really want that instead?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking for reasons not to appoint Xabi - it was more about Modo’s reasons for rating Hassenhuttl higher than Nagelsman.

Don’t know why thinks didn’t work out at Bayern for Negalsman - if he is a bit of a dick, then of course - but it’s seems a bit odd that group of players are performing worse now.

I don’t follow the German press, but it would be pretty easy to figure find stories he’d leaked to the press - though it seems Bayern are certainly ok with leaking stuff to the press about how he was a bad egg.

Anyway - like I said Xabi’s on my short list - but if you not just a teeny-weeny bit concerned at his lack of experience as a manager, then I think you might be being a bit blinded by who he is.

Again, I’m not saying no to Xabi, just that it’s an area of concern.

Having played in the Premier League doesn’t appear to make any difference - there’s only about 5-6 out of the current 20 that did.

I’d also point out that managers, even those with big reputations and top level playing careers, but very little experience, don’t have a particularly good track record of succeeding at Premier League clubs - Lampard, Gerrard, Keane, Viera, etc

Also - I’m really just pointing out Modo’s logic isn’t consistent - which is up to him.

Well now I really want us to stay away.

And yet, the players are delivering worse results now - either the hate Tuchel more or Tuchel is an absolute wanker.

Maybe they didn’t like the fact that Negalsman was a vegan.

I don't know about that, at least Hasenhuttl has PL experience so we dont have to worry about that bit. Still, Xabi is the obvious choice for me.
Struggli g with this idea what makes him different to Woy?

And yet, the players are delivering worse results now - either the hate Tuchel more or Tuchel is an absolute wanker.

Well maybe the players this season playing for Bayern are finding that other teams are catching up, they may have recruited better. Also after 10 seasons of constantly winning, things do change.
Any @Modo - agree with the fact that our players will respect Xabi because who he played for, and what he won in his career - he has the complete set doesn't he ? including a world cup and a european cup. Only Mac10 has a world cup in our squad and nothing else.

Alonso can't be an obvious choice.

He's played for us and we smile when we think of the name. Other than that he's just a young manager with promise who is on a good run. Sometimes a manager suits a moment and a style. When that luck runs out the project falls to absolute shit and they don't know how to fix it. The difference between he and Gerrard (bar the fact that id always have said Alonso would make a better manager) could just be circumstance.

I'm not saying he can't be a choice, but if he is an obvious choice, it's because there aren't other great candidates out there. In my lifetime the managers we have had with little experience or lots of experiences with no trophies have yielded the same. The good managers ended up being good.

Alonso is a complete unknown as a manager.

Well maybe the players this season playing for Bayern are finding that other teams are catching up, they may have recruited better. Also after 10 seasons of constantly winning, things do change.
Any @Modo - agree with the fact that our players will respect Xabi because who he played for, and what he won in his career - he has the complete set doesn't he ? including a world cup and a european cup. Only Mac10 has a world cup in our squad and nothing else.

I was going to remind you that Thiago’s corpse is still registered in our squad - but he won fuck all at senior international level with Spain - but has absolutely everything else in his collection that Xabi has.

As far as I see it the last4-5 years has had a few managers dominate: Guardiola, Zidane, Ancellotti, Klopp, Nagelsmann etc.

The next generation is taking shape; Xavi, Xabi, De Zerbi andthe current playing generation is a level below. I’m thinking we want to be chasing that second list, if not the third

I was going to remind you that Thiago’s corpse is still registered in our squad - but he won fuck all at senior international level with Spain - but has absolutely everything else in his collection that Xabi has.
yeah and we have players to match that collection as well. Our players will respect Xabi.
On Thiago, I know most of you love him to bits, and he has had his moments, but honestly since we got him - its like a shadow of false/dead hope.

As far as I see it the last4-5 years has had a few managers dominate: Guardiola, Zidane, Ancellotti, Klopp, Nagelsmann etc.

The next generation is taking shape; Xavi, Xabi, De Zerbi andthe current playing generation is a level below. I’m thinking we want to be chasing that second list, if not the third
Can I just say that I think Steven Gerard has had a raw deal, that Villa spell that we all say he failed at, was it not that shit Captain of their's - the one that ain't playing and therefore the team is doing well who was the cause of all his issues ?

Yes and Hassenhuttle is above Potter by some distance. The reason why he's my new no, other than the fact that I totally forgot about him is that his style is very similar to Klopp's. Here's a quote from him:

“[Klopp and I] did our coaching badges together and we know each other very well,” Hasenhüttl told bundesliga.com in an exclusive interview. “I think we appreciate a similar philosophy on football – we want to play a high tempo game, we want our guys to sprint around, press well and these are elements which make the game livelier and varied and get people excited.”

He has experience from top flight football as a player and as a manager. He's had good times and bad times at Southampton, wasn't really backed by the board. The biggest stylistic change is that he plays a sort of 4-2-2-2 line up, but I don't see him as the rigid kind. He'll adapt if he gets the job.
Absolutely no chance. FSG will not gamble on a dark horse manager. It'll be someone like Klopp was ... touted as a good fit and lauded for his management skills and his teams football.
Money is still strongly on Xabi but I could see De Zerbi or Emery as an outside bet.

I think you may be confusing Nagelsmann with Heynckes

Nagelsmann is in that second group for me.

I think you only need to look at how it ended at Dortmund, PSG and Chelsea for Tuchel for your answer...

He's vulnerable again.

Emery would be the most sensible choice that I can think of. Stylistically though it isn't the cleanest in terms of continuity.
Really? Aren't Villa the highest pressing team in the PL (or something like that)? Plays a back four, great defensive record (4th best in the PL), Villa were 16th when he took over.

He also has European pedigree (3 x EL wins with Sevilla, took Arsenal to the EL final and then won the EL again with Villareal). Has managed top players with 2 seasons at PSG (won 7 trophies - yeah OK it's L1).

Perfectionist who is good and managing / improving players.

I'm convincing myself here ! This is the first article I've read - I've have to read more.

---------

Transitional attacks​

Emery has tended to favour a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 formation, with a heavy focus on attacking with central numbers and combinations. This usually means multiple players moving inside from wide.

His Valencia and Sevilla teams both employed transitional attacks in a 4-4-2 shape, but featured players who could dominate possession when necessary.

At Sevilla, Ivan Rakitic, José Antonio Reyes and Vitolo often combined in the central spaces to support striker Carlos Bacca, who attacked defenders with power and speed.

That Sevilla side was a powerful attacking unit that progressed the ball forward quickly. The rotations between Rakitic, Vitolo and Reyes ahead of the double pivot, plus Bacca’s ability to attack 1v1, provided key attacking outlets.
In support of such fluid attacking movements, Emery has regularly fielded a solid pairing underneath the ball. This is aimed at stopping counter-attacks and sustaining possession when needed. Indeed, one trait of Emery’s sides has been recognising when counter-attacks aren’t an option and adapting style of play in possession.

In his Valencia team, central midfielders David Silva and Éver Banega were influential. At Sevilla, it was typically Stéphane M’Bia and Daniel Carriço. For Arsenal, Emery had Mattéo Guendouzi and Granit Xhaka. At PSG, the passing versatility of Thiago Motta, Adrien Rabiot and Marco Verratti linked play with those in the attacking third. At Villarreal, Dani Parejo, Étienne Capoue and Francis Coquelin were crucial in these moments.

Since taking over at Villa, Emery’s trademark transitional attacks have also been evident. The central midfield – often Douglas Luiz and Boubacar Kamara as a double pivot – have provided cover and support underneath and around the ball. When Villa regain possession, Ollie Watkins has shown the ability to link play and run in behind. He is then supported by the speedy Moussa Diaby.

Villa’s wide areas provide further support on the counter-attack. John McGinn has played wide when defending in a 4-4-2. Then, in possession, he moves to the inside channel as an extra central midfielder when needed. McGinn has also provided a box-to-box threat.

Others have been used on the opposite flank, including Nicolò Zaniolo, Leon Bailey, Jacob Ramsey and Matty Cash. All of these have provided similar transitional support to that offered by McGinn.

Sustained possession​

At PSG, Emery had a squad that could dominate the ball for lengthier periods of possession than his previous teams. During his time in Ligue 1, he most commonly used a 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

In the 4-3-3, Emery’s defensive midfielder would withdraw towards the central defence, encouraging both full-backs to advance (below). The front three, meanwhile, adopted a narrower shape and rotated. One of his attacking midfielders would provide a shorter passing option from defence and into attack, while the other provided a run behind the front three. These attacking movements higher up the pitch mirrored those of Emery’s previous clubs.

Defending to counter​

Emery’s teams typically adopt high defensive lines in an attempt to defend away from goal. They emphasise an aggressive press and minimising spaces between the lines.

If a high defensive line is impractical, or an opponent has passed the high pressure, Emery will organise his players into a mid-block. The double pivot he regularly utilises provides cover in front of the central defenders.

His Arsenal team relied on Xhaka, Guendouzi, Lucas Torreira and Aaron Ramsey to preserve their defensive balance when not pressing high up the pitch. Attackers Özil and Aubameyang often had wide roles without the ball so that, like Neymar at PSG, they could provide an outlet for counters.

At Villarreal, he regularly used a 4-4-2 mid-block, from which they forced play away from the centre. Having two strikers helped, with the closest attempting to restrict the ball to one side. If the central midfielders were close and narrow, they would press forwards, ready to press wide once the ball was forced there.

Lots more here : https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/unai-emery-aston-villa-tactics-style-of-play/

Gonna be very honest here.

If Emery didn't look, talk and smell like a vampire, and if we weren't all snobby about taking an Arsenal 'reject' he'd be the top pick. Triple EL and bringing Villareal to the Champions League semi is crazy.

That said, one cannot discount the above factors. Especially when you're taking over from Herr Klopp.

Nagelsmann is a big N O.
Xabi played for us in the Premier league. Thats the experience thats relevant.

Nagelsmann is a big N O.
Xabi played for us in the Premier league. Thats the experience thats relevant.

Explain that to me - how exactly is playing for us in the Premier League relevant - I want to understand this mindset.

It means he'll be awesome like all the other managers with Premier League experience. Gerrard, Hyypia, Arbeola, Souness, Torres, Spearing.. Not to mention Ole, Klinsmann, Southgate, Rooney, Vieira....

What I’m picking up is that each of the candidates for the job have flaws and areas of concern - unlike when Klopp was appointed, where he ticked every important box.

This is a lot more concerning than I want it to be.

Surely it's obvious why Premier league experience is relevant? Maybe not an essential requirement, but usually an advantage to have more knowledge of where you'll be working, than not have it?

Emery is a big N O as well.
Explain that to me - how exactly is playing for us in the Premier League relevant - I want to understand this mindset.

Xabi is already a fan favorite. I expect him to get some slack by the fans if there is a period of poor results after Klopp while we are getting to terms with new tactics and style etc. Another manager wont get that imho.

Knowing the league, what it takes to succeed, player profiles and having already lived in the area in regards to settling down can only be a positive.

Doubt Emery would be available. He seems a good pick.

Xabi is promising, but I would prefer more experience.
Same with Slot from Feyenoord.

Potter is tainted now, and lacks European experience.

Also too early for De Zerbi.

Alonsos experience is very different to Artetas. The latter probably sat in countless tactics sessions discussing how to defeat current PL teams led by some of the best in the business.

That’s not to say Alonso isnt a fantastic big brain who could work it all out himself anyway.

Premier League experience has to be a plus, although Klopp didn't have it, Benitez didn't have it, Houllier didn't have it.

If we are considering Premier League experience as important though, would that put the likes of Emery and De Zerbi ahead of Alonso? I mean, they'd have seen a lot more of it than Alonso in the last few years, including more of Liverpool.

De Zerbi wouldnt be a good fit for us imho, and I dont think Emery would be a good successor to Klopp either.
For me its more about the experience and relationship Xabi has with us as a club, the city and the fans, not the Premier league in general.

Very much on board the Emery express.

Proven winner, his resume speaks for itself. 4 Europa leagues beating teams like Utd, Liverpool and Benfica in the final.....another final losing out to Chelsea. The PL experience is a tiny + but in truth I don't value it all that much, Benitez and Klopp were both proven winners elsewhere.

What he's done at Villa is nothing short of remarkable, a little over a year in the role now and the win % at a club like Villa is extraordinary.

& think he's a top bloke, really like the way he comes across in the media.

Surely it's obvious why Premier league experience is relevant? Maybe not an essential requirement, but usually an advantage to have more knowledge of where you'll be working, than not have it?

I don’t think that stands up to scrutiny - look at the current crop of managers in the Premier League - If you’re talking about playing in the premier league then it’s Arteta, Moyes, Dyche, O’Neil, Kompany & technically Wilder who played a couple of seasons prior to the start of the Premier League - that’s a mixed bag.

There are a few others that have previously managed other teams, Poch, Emery, Esposito Santo, Silva, etc but their first experience ended in the sack, with the exception of Poch who waiting until he made it to a big team before getting sacked.

I think their is some merit to prefering a manager that has premier league managerial experience, but playing is largely irrelevant because, I mean, to state the obvious, it’s different to coaching - there’s a different skill set there.

I don’t think Xabi having played for Liverpool is a negative, but I’m not sure it’s a huge positive either.

Premier League experience has to be a plus, although Klopp didn't have it, Benitez didn't have it, Houllier didn't have it.

If we are considering Premier League experience as important though, would that put the likes of Emery and De Zerbi ahead of Alonso? I mean, they'd have seen a lot more of it than Alonso in the last few years, including more of Liverpool.

Again, you say that and the managers we’ve appointed with previous premier league management experience were Hodgeson, Dalglish 2.0 & BRodgers.

That seems to suggest we should avoid appointing anyone that’s previously managed in the Premier Lesgue.

Again, you say that and the managers we’ve appointed with previous premier league management experience were Hodgeson, Dalglish 2.0 & BRodgers.

That seems to suggest we should avoid appointing anyone that’s previously managed in the Premier Lesgue.

That did cross my mind, which is why I'm not convinced that it is the most important issue (although we are in a bit of a different position in terms of manager recruitment than we were when we appointed those three, to be fair).

Personally I think the risk of Alonso is worth taking but I'm trying not to base that on the fact that he played for us years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom