• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll New Manager speculation

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who'll will be the new manager?

• Xabi

Votes: 63 87.5%
  • Harry Potter

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Some old dude like Ancelloti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A cool dude in a suit

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

• De Zerbi

• Unai Emery

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Zinedine Zidane

• Ange Postawotever (for Dreamie)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any valid argument against Xabi?
Hasn’t won the league, hasn’t managed a big club, has limited to no European management experience.
Has to follow in the footsteps of our greatest manager in 50 years!!

Hasn’t won the league, hasn’t managed a big club, has limited to no European management experience.

I can only imagine that calmness he'd bring would make his fellow countryman crack.

I think there's a high probability the DOF and next manager is already sorted. The stakes are so high these days, there'll have been a list ready to go as soon as Klopp told them.
Would love to believe that's true but we went for ages without a DoF and then ended up with some random appointment... let's hope they've got their shit together now.

Is Alonso ready do people think?

I reckon you’re on to something - ideally you’d want him to have a few more season under his belt just to be sure he really has it - ideally one of those seasons a difficult one where he has to show he can solve problems and bounce back.

Yeah - Xabi in ‘26 when Klopp’s contract ended would have been better.

Yeah - Xabi in ‘26 when Klopp’s contract ended would have been better.
Definitely. Stevie looked on track to be a great manager after Rangers. I’m not saying Xabi won’t be amazing but every manager needs a few years before they can judged and he has had zero adversity so far. It’s a gamble. Just feels weird he’s everyone’s no1 choice with no debate.

I reckon you’re on to something - ideally you’d want him to have a few more season under his belt just to be sure he really has it - ideally one of those seasons a difficult one where he has to show he can solve problems and bounce back.

Tbh I wasn't really implying that he isn't - it was a genuine question because I don't follow German football at all.

But obviously it has to be a valid concern for any of the younger candidates.

I always really rated Pochettino but he's starting to feel like damaged goods at this point. I just wonder if he got one more chance somewhere that's not a complete basket case...

Definitely. Stevie looked on track to be a great manager after Rangers. I’m not saying Xabi won’t be amazing but every manager needs a few years before they can judged and he has had zero adversity so far. It’s a gamble. Just feels weird he’s everyone’s no1 choice with no debate.

Let's be honest DB.. taking a bundesliga team from relegation placed to Europa in not even a full season.

Then season two.. unbeaten in all competitions to date..

Far outweighs anything that Gerrard did with Rangers in Scotland.

Sorry, it just does.

As for adversity, his second gig with Espanyol B. He was promoted. The relegated. Then not sure if he left or was pushed. But although it's the B team so you are talking La Liga B/C leagues. He's had that too and bounced back with Leverkusen.

B

Yeah the RS story is not a fairytale.

It's not a conversation I like having in January

But it's something that has to be addressed sooner or later and the soonwr the better

@Dreambeliever should like this suggestion

Oh FFS. Dreamy just came all over his monitor.

did-we-ever-figure-out-what-randys-sexual-preference-is-v0-0z6kbqh2piv81.png

Loads of Twitter twatter last night from some big Liverpool accounts that its already agreed with Xabi.

Tbh I wasn't really implying that he isn't - it was a genuine question because I don't follow German football at all.

But obviously it has to be a valid concern for any of the younger candidates.

I always really rated Pochettino but he's starting to feel like damaged goods at this point. I just wonder if he got one more chance somewhere that's not a complete basket case...

I agree with you - Alonso might be ready, but he’s relatively inexperienced, but at the very least he’d walk into Anfield and no-one’s going to doubt his experience or credentials as a player - for me it’s if, as a coach he’s truly landed on a “way” and can get the best out of those players by either converting them to that “way” or tweaking his “way” to suit the players.

Hard to say, because he’s so young.

In saying that, you look at the other candidates - Poch as you say looks like a potential busted flush, does Zidane get the club or have any real interest in English football, Tuchel’s a prick, Ancelotti’s old & boring - safe pair of hands that might win us something though, Emery looks like someone that’ll over perform at a mid level club and underperform at a big club, the managers in Holland or Portugal - are they ready for such a big step up, Mourinho’s a cunt - if him or Simeone were appointed I’d probably stop watching.

Nagelsman is probably a good shout.

Mekon head would be funny, but never happening.

Anyone suggests Southgate and I know places we can dispose of the body where people will never, ever find it.

The thing that really gives me the fear, is this is not just a succession thing like we experienced with the old bootroom - Shankly to Paisley to Fagan to Dalglish - this is an entire new team with an entire new strategy, a new outlook, a new way of working - everything’s new.

It’s not quite a Sounness situation in that we do t have an entirely aging squad that needs refreshing, but this is a worrying moment.

Even when we know who’s coming in, we don’t know how they’ll react to FSG not giving them the cash to sign a new 83rd choice midfielder for gazillions.

Klopp just took the restrictions and got on with it.

We also don’t know whether we’ll get a manager that’s delighted with signing 18 yo starlets from South America that he’ll play regularly while taking the team to 8th and selling to Chelsea as soon as they actually start to look good.

There’s a big part of me that hopes Pep Lijnders is at least in the conversation and gets the job because that would represent at least some sort of consistent succession rather than what’s looking like a clean sweep approach to removing everyone.

It could go right with the right appointment - but it could also go horribly wrong.

This does all feel like the unnecessarily early end to an era.

The thing that really gives me the fear, is this is not just a succession thing like we experienced with the old bootroom - Shankly to Paisley to Fagan to Dalglish - this is an entire new team with an entire new strategy, a new outlook, a new way of working - everything’s new.

It’s not quite a Sounness situation in that we do t have an entirely aging squad that needs refreshing, but this is a worrying moment.

Even when we know who’s coming in, we don’t know how they’ll react to FSG not giving them the cash to sign a new 83rd choice midfielder for gazillions.

Klopp just took the restrictions and got on with it.

We also don’t know whether we’ll get a manager that’s delighted with signing 18 yo starlets from South America that he’ll play regularly while taking the team to 8th and selling to Chelsea as soon as they actually start to look good.

There’s a big part of me that hopes Pep Lijnders is at least in the conversation and gets the job because that would represent at least some sort of consistent succession rather than what’s looking like a clean sweep approach to removing everyone.

It could go right with the right appointment - but it could also go horribly wrong.

This does all feel like the unnecessarily early end to an era.

The fact the Ljnders tried and failed on his own, tells me he's a great number 2.

It just makes too much sense to make a play for Alonso at this time. He was the heir apparent for both the Madrid and Bayern jobs when they next became available. Why not us instead?

People question his loyalty as he wasn't here long enough. Forgetting it was Rafa who pushed him, initially he didn't want to leave.

He refers to Anfield as 'Home'. The thought of giving him the job is the only thing easing me through this at the moment.

Also on regards to Budget.. Alonso hasn't exactly been blessed with limitless resources at Leverkusen.

Would love to believe that's true but we went for ages without a DoF and then ended up with some random appointment... let's hope they've got their shit together now.
Klopp said they knew in November. Maybe it was that this was about to break, if we are searching for a new manager it was bound to come out sooner or later. Maybe it was because they have a new team in place (or have reached some form of agreement).

The fact the Ljnders tried and failed on his own, tells me he's a great number 2.

It just makes too much sense to make a play for Alonso at this time. He was the heir apparent for both the Madrid and Bayern jobs when they next became available. Why not us instead?

People question his loyalty as he wasn't here long enough. Forgetting it was Rafa who pushed him, initially he didn't want to leave.

He refers to Anfield as 'Home'. The thought of giving him the job is the only thing easing me through this at the moment.

Also on regards to Budget.. Alonso hasn't exactly been blessed with limitless resources at Leverkusen.

I didn’t by really disagree with any of that - I’m not saying Alonso isn’t a good pick, although I suspect he probably does have more affection for Real over us, but us over Bayern - but I don’t really know.

He’d likely be a good appointment, but it is very early in his career to be taking on one of the biggest club jobs in football.

That doesn’t mean he won’t succeed, it just raises questions or make it a slightly more risky appointment for me.

Affair, that doesn’t mean it’d be a bad appointment.

As far as transfer budget - his experience at Leverkusen could be viewed two ways - yes he’s used to working on a tight budget, etc, but also that means we have no idea how good he is when he has money. Look at Ten Hag for example - good when he had no money and spent a fortune on shite when he had money.

It probably does depend on who the DoF is and how we manage transfers in gutter - like who has the ultimate say.

I dunno - I just see this as a huge change fraught with danger.

Reactions: dee
I didn’t by really disagree with any of that - I’m not saying Alonso isn’t a good pick, although I suspect he probably does have more affection for Real over us, but us over Bayern - but I don’t really know.

He’d likely be a good appointment, but it is very early in his career to be taking on one of the biggest club jobs in football.

That doesn’t mean he won’t succeed, it just raises questions or make it a slightly more risky appointment for me.

Affair, that doesn’t mean it’d be a bad appointment.

As far as transfer budget - his experience at Leverkusen could be viewed two ways - yes he’s used to working on a tight budget, etc, but also that means we have no idea how good he is when he has money. Look at Ten Hag for example - good when he had no money and spent a fortune on shite when he had money.

It probably does depend on who the DoF is and how we manage transfers in gutter - like who has the ultimate say.

I dunno - I just see this as a huge change fraught with danger.

Same could have been said of Pep at Barca no?

This is a player who's won it all, who's been coached by some of the greatest managers too.

I'd rather we gave it a try than letting him go to someone else and watch him smash it.

My eggs are in one basket I guess.

Honestly if Xabi rejects us, I wouldn't mind Potter. Also, bring on someone like Milner as an assistant since he basically knows the entire squad.

He literally said that Liverpool is his home even over Madrid / Spain.

Same could have been said of Pep at Barca no?

Zidane too. Not of the same calibre (yet at least) but Arteta also walked into a massive job with very little experience.

It's risky but every managerial appointment is. That's why it's so crucial to have an amazing management team and footballing operation... which by the sounds of it, we don't quite have at the moment.

Honestly if Xabi rejects us, I wouldn't mind Potter. Also, bring on someone like Milner as an assistant since he basically knows the entire squad.

No fucking way should we touch Potter after his Chelsea shitshow.

Surely De Zerbi would be a better option, let alone Nagelsman & Marco Rose.

No fucking way should we touch Potter after his Chelsea shitshow.

Surely De Zerbi would be a better option, let alone Nagelsman & Marco Rose.
Look at how Pochettino is doing? It was never about Potter.
The club would be a perfect for him, the players have a different mentality here.

Last edited:
After Potter, I'd be concerned about taking any manager from Brighton... unless we just lift + shift their whole footballing operation to Liverpool.

He literally said that Liverpool is his home even over Madrid / Spain.

Yeah, he did - but I’ve long since stopped believing that what comes out a footballers mouth is anything more than what he thinks whoever it’s directed at wants to hear.

In saying that, I’ve seen a pile of quotes from him that suggest Liverpool is his dream job - so what do I know.

For the record - I’m on the Xabi train - I can think of no better story than him coming back and taking Liverpool to the sort of successes that eluded him here as a player.

Feels like Xabi is the fav from fan's point of view.

His age or experience doesn't worry me, Pep and Zidane were largely in experienced when they took over massive jobs and proved capable.
I guess one factor maybe possible Labour's Tax rates, last time Labour were in Gov, Xabi was on way to Real...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom