• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of Brazilian players seem to decline very rapidly and suddenly, even before they hit 30 - Bobby remained top class longer than most I guess. The likes of Casemiro and Willian are the exceptions.

Not sure how much one can read into Bobby's stint in Saudi so far. Things looked similar when he first arrived here, but that was because Rodgers hadn't a scooby how to use him (when he used him at all).

That said, returning to the scene of previous triumphs rarely works out well in football.

Not sure how much one can read into Bobby's stint in Saudi so far. Things looked similar when he first arrived here, but that was because Rodgers hadn't a scooby how to use him (when he used him at all).

That said, returning to the scene of previous triumphs rarely works out well in football.

I was only joking, he's on a sqintillion a day over there

Honestly, if we need a fucking dubious pen in order to beat Arsenal, we don't belong in the title race. Mane, Firmino and younger Salah would have won yesterday's game by at least 3.
It's pretty obvious what the issue is, we haven't managed to replace Mané and Firmino.

This is nonsense, Modo... If we'd gotten that penalty (which wasn't the slightest bit dubious, by the way), and won 2-1, and thus were sitting top of the league, not one single person would say "Yeah, but they needed a penalty to win it".

And yes, our (possibly) greatest ever team would have won comfortably yesterday. That's because they were a better team than this one. So were 1970 Brazil. And..?

This team is well ahead of schedule and I'd be stunned if anybody honestly thought we'd be even remotely close to the top at the halfway point, when we lost everybody this summer... When the initial frustration of that no-call and that miss have subsided, we should all remember that. Oh, and Arsenal are a bloody good team, too - It's not like we just pissed the bed against Sunderland, for goodness sake.

Happy Christmas (or whatever holiday everybody out there celebrates).

The title is still in our hands, we played very well yesterday against a team set up well to nullify our threats and disrupt our game.

We were like deers in the headlights in the first 10 mins, possibly not expecting them to press us so much. This led to the free kick they scored from.

Howecer from minute 20-90 i felt we were in full control. We had enough chances to win if without the penalty shout but that was frankly a disgrace.

We need to find our clinical edge as we can’t keep relying on City & Arsenal to drop points. We need to go on a run, which looks more difficult if Diaz is out just before Mo heads to AFCON.

We should be top by 3 points, but we have an opportunity for this to still be a period that galvanises the squad.

I need to stop watching the Trent miss.

Did not Mo miss and even easier one the other week?

This is nonsense, Modo... If we'd gotten that penalty (which wasn't the slightest bit dubious, by the way), and won 2-1, and thus were sitting top of the league, not one single person would say "Yeah, but they needed a penalty to win it".

And yes, our (possibly) greatest ever team would have won comfortably yesterday. That's because they were a better team than this one. So were 1970 Brazil. And..?

This team is well ahead of schedule and I'd be stunned if anybody honestly thought we'd be even remotely close to the top at the halfway point, when we lost everybody this summer... When the initial frustration of that no-call and that miss have subsided, we should all remember that. Oh, and Arsenal are a bloody good team, too - It's not like we just pissed the bed against Sunderland, for goodness sake.

Happy Christmas (or whatever holiday everybody out there celebrates).

Even if we got the pen it wouldn't have guaranteed victory.
My point is that even at our worst, we still expected a win at Anfield. Be it, Man U or Arsenal, didn't matter at Anfield.
I just used the Mane, Firmino example to show how good we needed to be in order to win the league last time.

So yeah you're right, if it's top 4 we're going for, a draw at home to Arsenal and Man U are great results.

How did Rice do? Missed the game as was on a flight but Murphy was raving about him post game. Seems a big upgrade on what they had last season in that position fron what I saw.

Honestly, if we need a fucking dubious pen in order to beat Arsenal, we don't belong in the title race. Mane, Firmino and younger Salah would have won yesterday's game by at least 3.
It's pretty obvious what the issue is, we haven't managed to replace Mané and Firmino.

If you think they are hard to replace, wait till when we try and replace Salah. That’s going to be much harder and feels like a lot less candidates about on paper who potentially can di the job.

Party life style.
Spot on. Also money is new to some of these players. They have a different mentality towards it. I say it's the same for a lot of African players too.
Look at Mido for instance or Diouf. After they've hit the big time there's no reason to excel further.

Spot on. Also money is new to some of these players. They have a different mentality towards it. I say it's the same for a lot of African players too.
Look at Mido for instance or Diouf. After they've hit the big time there's no reason to excel further.
I'd say that's the same for 99% of players! If you've got money you don't play football.

Even if we got the pen it wouldn't have guaranteed victory.
My point is that even at our worst, we still expected a win at Anfield. Be it, Man U or Arsenal, didn't matter at Anfield.

I just used the Mane, Firmino example to show how good we needed to be in order to win the league last time.

So yeah you're right, if it's top 4 we're going for, a draw at home to Arsenal and Man U are great results.

We DID expect to win. We just didn't get it done. We should have, between that non-penalty and Trent's incredible miss. We expect to win 100% of our games at Anfield. Who said that we don't? Doesn't mean it's always possible, though.

Yep, you need to be really good to win the league... Not sure that you're breaking news there, mate. Thing is, we may not need to be THAT good to win it this year... Time will tell.

Again, who said they were great results? I didn't. I argued your initial post about 'if we need a dubious penalty, then we don't deserve...' for the silliness that it is. The scum result was awful, the arsenal result unfortunate, but less galling. We dropped 4 points at home. Not ideal. But it happens, we're still 2nd without playing well for a while now, and the future's bright.

Why pretend otherwise?

Mido was already a millionaire

Also, Fabs went shit at 29 and had no party lifestyle. It's a strange one.

Mido was already a millionaire

Also, Fabs went shit at 29 and had no party lifestyle. It's a strange one.
But the weight gain he underwent was extraordinarily for a footballer still playing. Same as that chap at QPR, Taarabt, who was called out by Redknapp … although the list is not just exclusively of Africans and Brazilians. David Bentley famously fell off the cliff edge and some of our top English talent just drops through the football pyramid without being hung onto like we seemingly do with the foreigners.

Last edited:
But the weight gain he underwent was extraordinarily for a footballer still playing. Same as that chap at QPR, Taarabt, who was called out by Redknapp … although the list is not just exclusively of Africans and Brazilians. David Bentley famously fell off the cliff edge and some of our top English talent just drops through the football pyramid without being hung onto like we seemingly do with the foreigners.

Yeah I'm just saying that the wealth wasn't as much a factor as you'd think, given that he was independently wealthy beforehand. Like Vialli. Like loads of mad bastard explorers etc, the wealth gives them the cushion to do whatever the hell they want. If anything it's a bit of a surprise that there aren't more David Bentleys. Be arsed working every day, travelling with a gang of nobheads all the time, when you're already minted.

I hate to be that guy, but is anyone going to start a thread for Burnley, and is it sometime we trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom