• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Bournemouth (A) EFL Cup - Wednesday 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Expecting similar team to Toulouse in this one although we don’t have many options to rotate up front.

Kelleher

Trent
Gomez
Matip
Chambers

Endo
Jones
Szobo

Elliot
Gakpo
Jota

Hopefully Doak is back soon so that he can get some minutes. I'd also have Nyoni on the bench.

Hopefully Doak is back soon so that he can get some minutes. I'd also have Nyoni on the bench.
Yeah Klopp was very clear that Doak would have started vs Toulouse. So if fit he’s in the squad at a minimum. I’m still holding on to a forlorn hope we will get to bed Bajcetic and/or El Muerte back in but I fear they are both not in training even

Expecting similar team to Toulouse in this one although we don’t have many options to rotate up front.

Kelleher

Trent
Gomez
Matip
Chambers

Endo
Jones
Szobo

Elliot
Gakpo
Jota

it won’t be szobo in Midfield. Gravenberch is nailed on for RCM if neither of our long term injured mids are available. Possibly bring macca on to get his yellow out of the way.

Kelleher

Trent
Gomez
Matip
Chambers

Endo
Jones
Szobo

Elliot
Gakpo
Jota
Can't see Szobo starting again for this one. They'll wheel Thiago out ... at least they'll have to pass around him.

IMG_1138.png

it won’t be szobo in Midfield. Gravenberch is nailed on for RCM if neither of our long term injured mids are available. Possibly bring macca on to get his yellow out of the way.

I just can't see Gravy doing 3 games in a row, and not sure who else would take that slot.

I just can't see Gravy doing 3 games in a row, and not sure who else would take that slot.
He was subbed off early in all three though (defo the last two). However, if Doak is fit Elliott can take RCM.

edit
Everton 62 mins (Elliott)
Toulouse 70 mins (Salah)
Forest 58 mins (Elliott)

The good news is that we're expecting Bradley, Bajcetic and Thiago to be back in November.

Although it’s low down the priority list, Klopp could well see this as a very good chance to bag some early silverware. 1 of Newcastle and Mancs / West Ham and Arsenal going out. Get through Bournemouth and it looks increasingly likely this is a competition we’ll win so perhaps 5-6 changes instead of 10-11?

I’d go something like;

Kelleher Trent Gomez Virgil Chambers Endo Szobo Jones Salah Gakpo Jota

Although it’s low down the priority list, Klopp could well see this as a very good chance to bag some early silverware. 1 of Newcastle and Mancs / West Ham and Arsenal going out. Get through Bournemouth and it looks increasingly likely this is a competition we’ll win so perhaps 5-6 changes instead of 10-11?

I’d go something like;

Kelleher Trent Gomez Virgil Chambers Endo Szobo Jones Salah Gakpo Jota
Far too many 1st Team starters in that for me.

Let’s try and win the lot!

I actually think this team is secretly trying to win the lot - no one suspects it yet, and to be honest we don't know if we are that good - coz everytime we play against any decent side to use as a measure - the ref or suspensions means the result of the game is not a clear indicator of how good we are.

Elliott and start Doak at RW. But Szobo could probably play 60 mins without any problem given that he wasnt much involved against Toulouse.

Last time out (Stoke at home) Bournemouth made 8 changes from their previous EPL game and played 4-2-3-1 (First Teamers)

Radu

A Smith
Zabarnyi
Senesi
Kerkez

Rothwell
L Cook (Adamsat 70)

Brooks (Tavernier 62)
Traorè (Christie 45)
Ouattara

Semenyo (Solanke 45) (Moore 88)

Given their poor position and form in the EPL, despite their win on Saturday, I imagine they will go with a weakened line-up again on Wednesday and focus more on stopping a whooping from Citeh at the weekend.

Got to feel for them next three matches; us, Citeh and Sandcastle

Is Quansah injured as well?

What’s the new on Diaz - is he likely to play or has he gone back to Colombia?

Kelleher, Matip, Gomez, Chambers, Endo, Curtis, Harvey & Gakpo should all start - it’s really a question of where Gomez & Harvey play - Ideally Gomes is at RB with Quansah at CB & Harvey is RM with Doak at RW - and whether Diaz is up for LW.

I’d like to see McConnell, Scanlon & Bobby Clark get a run out if we can.

Is Quansah injured as well?

What’s the new on Diaz - is he likely to play or has he gone back to Colombia?

Kelleher, Matip, Gomez, Chambers, Endo, Curtis, Harvey & Gakpo should all start - it’s really a question of where Gomez & Harvey play - Ideally Gomes is at RB with Quansah at CB & Harvey is RM with Doak at RW - and whether Diaz is up for LW.

I’d like to see McConnell, Scanlon & Bobby Clark get a run out if we can.

I think it's safe to say Diaz will not be going to the South Coast on Wednesday

I'd like to see more youth in the League Cup team. We have the Europa League to develop those in the first-team squad and playing pretty regularly.

I hope to see Quansah. Bobby Clarke could be an option in the middle - he made his Prem debut against Bournemouth. I can't see Klopp risking Dom, but let us see. Doak is also an option if Elliott plays in midfield.

Reactions: dee
I think it's safe to say Diaz will not be going to the South Coast on Wednesday

That depends on when his father is released and rescued I reckon. Hopefully its resolved in a positive way for them as soon as possible.

That depends on when his father is released and rescued I reckon. Hopefully its resolved in a positive way for them as soon as possible.
I’m guessing he’s not in training at the mo and so no part of the plans. I’d suggest his state of mind is not like a light switch

Far too many 1st Team starters in that for me.
There’s 4 nailed on, maybe 5 starters in there…if you’d rather see 10-11 changes made then fine but I’d rather go that little but stronger and get through. If some of the better youngsters were fit then it would be.

Can't see Szobo starting again for this one. They'll wheel Thiago out ... at least they'll have to pass around him.

IMG_1138.png

We laugh - but to be honest - this injury he has is all our fault, he was the only active decent midfielder in those early games those seasons and was trying to do both the Hendo and Fabinho role(s). His body was not designed for such a dual type role or even running - we are responsible for his condition.

We laugh - but to be honest - this injury he has is all our fault, he was the only active decent midfielder in those early games those seasons and was trying to do both the Hendo and Fabinho role(s). His body was not designed for such a dual type role or even running - we are responsible for his condition.

Bollocks. You can’t sign as a midfielder for a Premier League team, a Klopp team, and not expect to have to run around a bit.

Really want to win this game. It's there for us and we have the squad now to rest a few but still play a strong side. Missed opportunity if we play a weak side and go out

Klopp will go for a fairly strong team to win the game and try to go all the way. So far, there is no word whether he is going for quadruple or ditch the local cups for the PL title. Most likely he hasn't decided yet, his midfield although its doing so well its yet to be tested in a game against the top four team that's without red cards. I am sure he will want to win on Wednesday, I expect minimal changes to the squad.

Last edited:
Klopp will go for a fairly strong team to win the game and try to go all the way. So far, there is no word whether he is going for quadruple or ditch the local cups for the PL title. Most likely he hasn't decided yet, his midfield although its doing so well its yet to be tested in a game against the top four team that's without red cards. I am sure he will want to win on Wednesday, I expect minimal changes to the squad.
You have to consider a few things.
The first priority is CL football, obviously.
Then we need to look at the squad situation.
Robbo is injured and Tsimikas is deputising while he's out, meaning we can't take any risks. Hence why Chambers started against Toulouse.
We can't really risk Trent either because our only real back up fullback Bradley is also injured.
We don't know how long Diaz will be absent, I doubt that he's even in training at the moment, so we can't keep playing Jota in every game.
Unfortunately Doak is also injured so he can't play either.
We're fine in midfield although our back ups arent exactly like for like replacements for our starters. Would have been great if Bajcetic and Thiago were fit.

With all this in mind, I think Klopp is gonna play a weakened team. Will be interesting to see who plays on the wings.

Might be something like this:

----------------------Kelleher

Gomez ---Matip -----Quansah-----Chambers

-----Gravenberch-----Endo------Jones

Elliott---------------Gakpo-----------???

Will Kaide Gordon, Trent Kone-Doherty, Nyoni, McConnell or maybe Clark if he's fit, play?
It's happened before.

Otherwise, we might just see Jota play there again, but I highly doubt it.

So yeah, I don't think Klopp is going to take any risks.
We play Luton away on the weekend and although it doesn't look like the most difficult fixture on paper, I'd rather we have our best XI fresh for that game.

Last edited:
Of course the priority is CL football but given our start is there any real danger of us not getting it? What threat are Utd Chelsea or Newcastle to us? Absolutely none.

The Europa is all but sealed as far our place in the round of 32 or whatever it is so we don't have to worry about that until Feb.

Klopp will want to win a few more trophies if he can before he signs out and right now our best chance is the league cup.

We could beat Luton with 7 men if we wanted to, gimme a place in the QF's.

Of course the priority is CL football but given our start is there any real danger of us not getting it?

The Europa is all but sealed as far our place in the round of 32 or whatever it is.

Klopp will want to win a few more trophies if he can before he signs out and right now our best chance is the league cup.
He never rated the League cup, he even lets Pep handle the press conference.
We'll see what they say tomorrow. I hope there's good news and a few players returning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom