• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

2015/16: Young Guns, Reserves and Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstrung_pigeon

Well-Known
As per LTW's post, here's the thread for the new season. Not sure how many games I'll be able to catch this season as they're usually at crazy hours for me. Hope I can watch more than last season though.

It should be quite an interesting year for the youth teams, as this is basically a new u18/youth cup team we'll be getting to see, after quite a while of Kent, Wilson, Ojo et al.

Some of the names to watch out for, from what I know:

Connor Masterson (CB)
Trent Alexander-Arnold (CM)
Herbie Kane (CM)
Yan Dhanda (AM)
Bobby Adekanye (AM)
Toni Gomes (CF)
Okera Simmonds (CF)

I think they're all around 16.

We apparently signed Conor Masterson for €1m when he was 13 years old, so I'd like to think he was half decent.

Glen McCauley scores with a cheeky backheel for the U15s in the Milk Cup. Can't embed the video here, so here's the link to the BBC page. The goal is the first one in the clip.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33695318

On a related note:

We're sending a U15/16 team to Singapore for the Lion City Cup in August. Spurs will be doing the same. This year's tournament will be a lot shorter, unfortunately, so each of the British sides will play a Singapore U15/16 side, and then the winners / losers play each other.

At this age group and the U18/U19 levels, the SE Asian teams are actually pretty competitive, though no doubt helped by the climate here. The LFC teams played in the Frenz tournament in Indonesia and got a good challenge from the Frenz Indonesia/Malaysia sides, and when a mixed U18/U21 team was here for the NexLions Cup a few years ago, featuring the likes of Ibe, Yesil, Morgan, Dunn, etc. we also got a good game from the Singapore side.

One of the 2 Uruguayan trialist Juan Manuel Sanabria (left), provided 3 assists in U16s' 4-1 win over Luton.
CLVaP-eWcAAE4X0.jpg

Not sure if this was posted in the old thread. This is from the Steel Park Cup tournament our U21s played in recently. Adam Phillips looks like he's bulked up a fair bit.

Vigouroux on his loan move to Swindon:
[article=http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/article/vigouroux-a-good-place-for-me-to-play-2591110.aspx#0rC7Fv7KVQ6XohXg.99]TOWN'S new loan signing, Lawrence Vigouroux believes that the County Ground is a good place for him to spend the 2015/16 campaign on loan.

The Liverpool stopper signed a season-long deal earlier this week and explained that he needs games 'out in the real world' after a season of football with the Under-21s at Anfield.

"Swindon's a great club," he told the official website. "You saw that by the fans yesterday. It's a good place for me to play football because they like to play football. I know quite a few of the lads - they remembered me from Spurs and I've also got Jordan Williams and Kevin Stewart here - Kev keeps saying I'm following him around everywhere but that's football. I've just got to get my head down and try and impress everyone.

"I thought I did well last season and hopefully I'll kick on again this season at Swindon. I need some games out in the real world - that's what I need to do and I'm happy to do it."

With the season opener against Bradford City just days away, the 'keeper admits that everyone is looking forward to getting the new campaign underway.

"It will be a great occasion," he said. "Not just for me but for everyone - the fans as well - just to get the season up-and-running and get the three points. That will be the most important thing and I think we're all confident enough that we can do it." [/article]

CLfvGaLWgAApzrB.jpg

[article=http://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/article/loan-deal-for-jones-extended-2591007.aspx#AUis3fZXzxHK1275.99]An agreement has been reached with Liverpool for defender Lloyd Jones to remain at Blackpool on loan until the end of the season.

The 19-year-old, who initially arrived on a short-term deal last month, has featured in all the club's pre-season games to date, making a big impression on the manager and his team-mates.

"I've been here just over two weeks now and I've really enjoyed the training. It's been fairly hard in pre-season but we're ready to go on Saturday now," Jones told the official website.

"I'm very excited for the season coming up, there's lots of games and hopefully lots of experience to be gained as well."

Jones has previously spent time out on loan with Cheltenham Town and Accrington Stanley. [/article]

Billy Liddell ‏@Liddellpool 2h2 hours ago Ojo has put pen to paper on a new five-year deal. #LFC

Good stuff.

Looks like the injury Chirivella picked up in the game against Swindon wasn't so bad. He played in the U21s game against FC Luzern, which is now managed by Markus Babbel. Allan played the whole game, as did Ryan Fulton (good, since he only played only 15 to 20 minutes in the pre-season spent with the first team).

Full report here: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/190124-young-reds-edged-out-in-swiss-friendly

That's three pre-season games now that the U21s have played against senior teams (lost 4-0 against Conference Premier side Chester FC; drew 2-2 against League Two Morecambe FC, lost 1-0 in this game against Swiss Super League side FC Luzern).

I can't remember if we've done it this much in the past, i.e. pit our U21s against bigger and older opponents in the pre-season. If this is something new we're doing, I like it.

@pboro5times: Trent Alexander Arnold is the first 16 year old to sign a 4 year deal at Liverpool since Robbie Fowler.

And so it starts...

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/190609-support-the-young-reds-at-st-helens-on-sunday

Liverpool U21s start their new season with a clash against Chelsea at Langtree Park in St Helens on Sunday, and they need your support.

Kick-off is at 11.30am BST and Michael Beale’s charges will look to start the 2015-16 campaign with a victory.
Last season the young Reds beat Chelsea in their home clash and they will be hoping for a repeat of that on Sunday.

We're so loaded with talent above the back four that we could field a team like this:

Firth
Randall Cleary Brewitt Maguire
Rossiter
Brannagan Canos
Dunn Sinclair Wilson

... and that would still leave out the likes of Yesil, Kent, Phillips, Trickett-Smith and Chirivella, with Madger Gomes and the new boy Allan also missing out. Definitely need to get a few of the older guys out on loan so they're not bored into stagnation and/or lost in the rotations.

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have as much talent and depth at the back for now, so I guess the first team will probably continue to buy defenders instead of being able to promote from within. At best, we'll promote someone to provide a versatile backup role like Flanagan.

Whelan, Williams and Jones all have a good amount of promise as centre halves. I think we have a reasonable chance of one of the three making it.

I think it's a bit disappointing we don't have more talent at full back though, as that's probably the easiest route into the first team. Although I guess we've been spoilt there the last few years.

Lads like Dunn, Sinclair and Brannagan need to go out on loan, for sure.

Swindon 4-1 Bradford

Vigouroux saved a penalty (@0.26) in 17th min which could've doubled Bradford's lead. Stewart assisted Swindon's 2nd (@1.13).

[article=http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/13583734.Cooper_full_of_praise_for_hat_trick_hero_Byrne/]Byrne would not have been given the platform for his heroics had it not been for debutant goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux.

The Liverpool youngster kept out Billy Clarke’s spot-kick after Town skipper Nathan Thompson felled Josh Morris in the box. It prevented the Bantams from going two goals up and Cooper thought it was a pivotal moment in the match.

“The penalty save changed the game,” he added. “You go 2-0 down and it’s a different story. The goalkeeper’s made a brilliant save.

“In the second half we changed the shape and got on top.

“I thought we played some brilliant football in the second half, had the crowd on the edge of their seats at times and they didn’t have an answer to it.”[/article]

It's a bit weird now. We've gone years without our U21 keepers doing much, and suddenly we've sent two out on loan, they're starting for their respective clubs and supposedly doing well. Fulton, our first team 3rd choice keeper now, played the full 90 for the U21s against Chelsea today in a harsh 1-0 defeat, and I thought he looked good as usual - commanded the box well, and he has a good throw and kick. He looks like he could be a future LFC keeper to me.

It's a bit weird now. We've gone years without our U21 keepers doing much, and suddenly we've sent two out on loan, they're starting for their respective clubs and supposedly doing well. Fulton, our first team 3rd choice keeper now, played the full 90 for the U21s against Chelsea today in a harsh 1-0 defeat, and I thought he looked good as usual - commanded the box well, and he has a good throw and kick. He looks like he could be a future LFC keeper to me.

I though his positioning was poor for the Chelsea goal though.
That said he was far from being on his own in that regard.

[article]Midfielder Willo Flood has played alongside the likes of Nicky Weaver and Artur Boruc in his career. But he believes Ward could rank as the best goalkeeper of the lot.

‘For me, he’s the best I’ve played with,’ Flood said. ‘When I was at Manchester City there was David James and Nicky Weaver, who were top goalkeepers.

‘But Wardy, for his age, his stature, everything about him. He’s up there with the best.

‘He has all the makings of a Premier League player in England. We’re just happy we have him for the season.

‘He’s very confident but you’d expect that because he’s come from a top club.

‘You don’t sign four-year deals with Liverpool if you’re a shy lad.’[/article]

8 appearances (2 League, 6 Europa League), 4 clean sheets

Sheyi Ojo's assists for Nouha Dicko's equalizer vs Newport County (League Cup 2nd round) @ 0.38

Interesting bit from Neil Critchley's column in the LFC offal today (Neil is our U18s manager, for those wondering). Looks like Inglethorpe will be taking a more active role again in training sessions. I wonder if Lijnders is now full-time with the Melwood setup.

This season Alex [Inglethorpe] will be working alongside me with the U18s, with Mike Garrity now coaching the U21s under Michael Beale. Alex is a great coach and the young lads will get the benefit of his coaching as well. Our performance analyst Scott Mason works closely with us and does a great job. Mike was fantastic for me and he has moved up to the U21s this season. What is so special about this club and the Academy is the integration between the ages and that is down to Alex. He has everyone working closely together, so when the U18s don’t have a game, I will go and be part of the U21s group with Michael and the lads. The phrase 'one club mentality' does get used quite often but it definitely rings true at Liverpool and our Academy.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/191806-academy-column-otten-cup-trip-and-trent-progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom