• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Panic! We're not buying any defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know. And the midfield looked pretty poor for too much of last season also.

Still, a couple summers ago we were personally driving Charlie Adam to Anfield so I'm trying to be positive!

Ha, very true.

A really top drawer commanding CB that can marshall the entire back 4 is a must for me though. Someone that can hold Agger's hand, has a bit of pace to allow us to move 10 yards higher up the pitch again, can cover for Glenjo going forward, can work well with Lucas as the DM.

That sorta cunt is few and far between, and costs 20M odd. But he's fucking critical.

Heh. That's some set of requirements. Who in world football would actually fit the bill - Silva maybe?

Heh. That's some set of requirements. Who in world football would actually fit the bill - Silva maybe?

Well I don't know who's out there now cos I know fuck all about modern-day targets. but your 'back in the day player' was a Stam, Sol Campbell, Terry, Vidic, etc.

All those cunts were integral to winning titles. You don't win one without them.

Jose Enrique was excellant for the most part last year and the least at fault defender for goals.

Having said that I can't remember the last time we were so fragile at the back as last year.

We always looked likely to concede.

Hopefully we still have a CB coming in that walks straight into our 'best 11' ;)

If we were even mediocre instead of shit at just defending set pieces, we'd have a dozen more points this season. I'm not sure what grand sacrifice needs to be made in terms of attacking play to do that, just a bit of competence, and a better CB who can take command in the air. That's well worth it.

Ha, I like the enthusiasm Ken, but the defence we currently have is the reason why we're 7th. And we'll stay there without 2-3 quality additions.

Carra's gone.
Skrtel's fallen way off.
Agger's fucking bang average.
Coates is clearly a cricketer in football gear.
Wisdom's 13
Kelly's overrated and made from soup
And then there's the full-backs.
Of which Jose Enrique is one.

You're forgetting the amazing Kolo Toure

I think this also made me picture Kolo Toure in a Liverpool shirt and realize it's not a Howard Webb in a Manc top-type joke for the first time

Having said that I can't remember the last time we were so fragile at the back as last year.

This is plainly bollocks and many posters have over exaggerated the pervious nature of our defence last season. We conceded the same number of goals as United, had the 5th best GD in the league (+28). We were only 5-8 goals off leading the league in GD (bar United): LFC 71-43 , Spurs 66-46 , Arsenal 72-37 , City 66-34 , Everton 55-40 , Chelsea 75-39 . That however was last season.

With Carra's retirement ( I admit I was wrong about him last season - he did a sterling job when I thought he was over-the-hill) we need a quality replacement, Skrtel & Coates will be on their way, Wisdom is not up to it and Kelly is made of glass. I can see 3 CBs coming in.

This is plainly bollocks and many posters have over exaggerated the pervious nature of our defence last season. We conceded the same number of goals as United, had the 5th best GD in the league (+28). We were only 5-8 goals off leading the league in GD (bar United): LFC 71-43 , Spurs 66-46 , Arsenal 72-37 , City 66-34 , Everton 55-40 , Chelsea 75-39 . That however was last season.

With Carra's retirement ( I admit I was wrong about him last season - he did a sterling job when I thought he was over-the-hill) we need a quality replacement, Skrtel & Coates will be on their way, Wisdom is not up to it and Kelly is made of glass. I can see 3 CBs coming in.

Hey hey, I was the 1 who created the 'in defence of the defence thread' so I know we kept clean sheets, doesn't mean we don't look very suspect in games.

Our defence will be sorted come start of the season. BR won't sit on his laurels. Kolo Toure is brought in as capable back up so I expect that we'll get in a commanding pacy CB with leadership skills who will marshal the back 4. Not sure how much money we have left for transfers but we may have to ship a few players first before we can buy.

Ha, I like the enthusiasm Ken, but the defence we currently have is the reason why we're 7th. And we'll stay there without 2-3 quality additions.

Carra's gone.
Skrtel's fallen way off.
Agger's fucking bang average.
Coates is clearly a cricketer in football gear.
Wisdom's 13
Kelly's overrated and made from soup
And then there's the full-backs.
Of which Jose Enrique is one.

The thing is, because you are so massively in the wrong with regards to Agger, I will struggle to take your word seriously when it comes to judging players ability.

When it comes to shirts however, I am all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom