• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Cup of the Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.
de paul - massive knobhead
martinez too, but you need a couple of them to fuck up the opposition

Last edited:
There has been quite a bit of online commentary, some of it quite derogatory, regarding the black robe that Lionel Messi wore prior to accepting the World Cup. For context, I wanted to explain its significance.

The garment is called a ‘bisht’ and it is an outer garment worn in predominantly Arab countries. The name is derived from the Akkadian word ‘bishtu’ which means ‘nobility’ or ‘prestige’.

This garment is considered a symbol of great honour. It’s a status symbol amongst royalty, the wealthy and those with high social rank, much like a cross between ceremonial graduation robes or, in Western terms, wearing a black tuxedo at a special occasion.

When it’s the Emir of a country literally gifting you the bisht, putting it on you with his own hands, it’s the highest honour that can be bestowed upon that civilian. It has nothing to do with religion at all.

Messi may not have understood what it meant when he graciously wore it, but it was the Qatari way of recognising him for the GOAT that he is.

- Sara
Thanks for that, hope people understand that it was really to honour Messi and not the other way round.

This is the problem though. Its so easy to forget how the World cup ended up in Qatar, how the stadiums have been built and the general conditions for the migrant workers. It instead ends with people defending them making this moment all about the Emir and Infantino. If you really think this wasnt planned for the benefit of those two and Qatar you are naïve.

Has this ever happened before? Did the French captain get dressed in a Sarafan in 2018? Was Cannavaro wearing lederhosen in 2006?

They should have given it to him as a gift after the ceremony, fine. No point in making him wear it to hide the Argentina kit while lifting the trophy and enjoying a moment for him and his nation. Pointless.

I have no clue why the French captain did not get dressed in a Sarafan or Cannavaro did not wear a lederhosen. Maybe that is not a part of European culture. But providing an item of clothing to honor a guest is a part of certain Asian cultures. That is the point I am trying to make.

If you were being honored in a function in India, you would be draped in a shawl and then provided the award or plaque in your honor in front of everyone. You are not called to the side at the end and provided the shawl privately. That is the custom. In my community, depending on the budget for the wedding, it is customary to for the wedding bride and groom to purchase the wedding dresses for a select group of people. If you were coming from Scandinavia and attending my wedding, I would definitely pay for your wedding clothes. And I presume because of that gesture, you would honor me by wearing those clothes. This is just a different way of showing respect.

I have several friends from South America, including couple from Argentina and honestly none of them cared that Messi wore a Bisht. But my sample size is small. Are people from Argentina concerned about this? Messi wearing a Bisht is just a way for them to honor the winner and I am sure lot of people in the Arab world felt a sense of pride when they saw him lifting a trophy wearing that attire.

I have no clue why the French captain did not get dressed in a Sarafan or Cannavaro did not wear a lederhosen. Maybe that is not a part of European culture. But providing an item of clothing to honor a guest is a part of certain Asian cultures. That is the point I am trying to make.

If you were being honored in a function in India, you would be draped in a shawl and then provided the award or plaque in your honor in front of everyone. You are not called to the side at the end and provided the shawl privately. That is the custom. In my community, depending on the budget for the wedding, it is customary to for the wedding bride and groom to purchase the wedding dresses for a select group of people. If you were coming from Scandinavia and attending my wedding, I would definitely pay for your wedding clothes. And I presume because of that gesture, you would honor me by wearing those clothes. This is just a different way of showing respect.

I have several friends from South America, including couple from Argentina and honestly none of them cared that Messi wore a Bisht. But my sample size is small. Are people from Argentina concerned about this? Messi wearing a Bisht is just a way for them to honor the winner and I am sure lot of people in the Arab world felt a sense of pride when they saw him lifting a trophy wearing that attire.

A custom or not, its not like the Emir and Infantino suddenly had the Arab worlds best interest at heart last night. Everything is done with a hidden agenda and this WC is built on the thousands of lives of migrant workers and massive corruption.

Which is why it felt so out of place and shouldnt have happened.

I dont see any relevance in whether or not this is a custom in Asian cultures or not, as you would obviously honor those if you were attending a function or wedding.
You'd be honored to do that. But the backstory and intent from those arranging this wouldn't be the same.

Btw, when is your wedding? Really looking forward to that and the invite now. :)

This sounds far more reasonable than the time the guido mother who clearly planned my friendswhole wedding forced me to pay to rent a three piece suit, when I have a nice tailored one. Not only did i look like shit, not only did I look like I was a washed up trumpet player in some big band, not only did the three piece have the thickness and texture of carpet, but it was 40 degree heat in the fucking blazing sun. One of the bridesmaids, also out hundreds for some ugly dress they'll wear once, fainted.

So yeah, your culture has it right.

A custom or not, its not like the Emir and Infantino suddenly had the Arab worlds best interest at heart last night. Everything is done with a hidden agenda and this WC is built on the thousands of lives of migrant workers and massive corruption.

Which is why it felt so out of place and shouldnt have happened.

I dont see any relevance in whether or not this is a custom in Asian cultures or not, as you would obviously honor those if you were attending a function or wedding.
You'd be honored to do that. But the backstory and intent from those arranging this wouldn't be the same.

Btw, when is your wedding? Really looking forward to that and the invite now. :)

Your invite is on the way. We have to wait for Dantes to fine tune the time machine so that we can go back in time to attend my wedding ;)

There has been quite a bit of online commentary, some of it quite derogatory, regarding the black robe that Lionel Messi wore prior to accepting the World Cup. For context, I wanted to explain its significance.

The garment is called a ‘bisht’ and it is an outer garment worn in predominantly Arab countries. The name is derived from the Akkadian word ‘bishtu’ which means ‘nobility’ or ‘prestige’.

This garment is considered a symbol of great honour. It’s a status symbol amongst royalty, the wealthy and those with high social rank, much like a cross between ceremonial graduation robes or, in Western terms, wearing a black tuxedo at a special occasion.

When it’s the Emir of a country literally gifting you the bisht, putting it on you with his own hands, it’s the highest honour that can be bestowed upon that civilian. It has nothing to do with religion at all.

Messi may not have understood what it meant when he graciously wore it, but it was the Qatari way of recognising him for the GOAT that he is.

- Sara

Sara should have defended Luis Suarez. He would have got off scot-free.

'A negrito is a symbol of great honour. Evra may not have understood what it meant but wearing his negrito graciously was the Uruguayan way of recognizing him for the cunt man he is.'

Easy peasy.

This sounds far more reasonable than the time the guido mother who clearly planned my friendswhole wedding forced me to pay to rent a three piece suit, when I have a nice tailored one. Not only did i look like shit, not only did I look like I was a washed up trumpet player in some big band, not only did the three piece have the thickness and texture of carpet, but it was 40 degree heat in the fucking blazing sun. One of the bridesmaids, also out hundreds for some ugly dress they'll wear once, fainted.

So yeah, your culture has it right.

So you are saying that a bride and groom's family can impose a dress code and not pay? I have only attended a couple of US weddings, so my knowledge is limited. I always thought bridesmaids wearing color coordinated dresses meant the bride paid for it? Is that not the case? Sounds unfair. Is this a US only custom or common in Europe also?

So you are saying that a bride and groom's family can impose a dress code and not pay? I have only attended a couple of US weddings, so my knowledge is limited. I always thought bridesmaids wearing color coordinated dresses meant the bride paid for it? Is that not the case? Sounds unfair. Is this a US only custom or common in Europe also?

US weddings are a very modern phenomenon. They used to be very simple affairs by and large. People lived around other people, so most people went to the town hall or the church, got married, and then had a party in their backyard, or somesuch, maybe a church hall. Like everything else in the culture here, people smelled money. Now, over the last couple decades the wedding industry exploded. Instead of it being an opportunity to get some cash together to start a life, a huge amount of people go into debt for their weddings, which cost on average almost $30,000. I find it horrific. That's just the cost to host the party though, the total cost is far more.

Anyhow, yeah, when you see those 5 unhappy women in their shitty pink dresses, they almost always had to pay for them. And getting to the wedding place, and staying nearby, and then, when they're done, they are expected to give a generous gift. There are weddings that I've gone to that have cost more than a thousand dollars for me to attend. What did I get out of it? I got to be in some fucking generic dump I didn't want to be in, listening to shitty music, eating mediocre food, and listening to some person I'll never talk to again explain the highways they took to get there, and how they made "good time."

Not sure if its different in Europe, but weddings are not as much of a thing there in general.

US weddings are a very modern phenomenon. They used to be very simple affairs by and large. People lived around other people, so most people went to the town hall or the church, got married, and then had a party in their backyard, or somesuch, maybe a church hall. Like everything else in the culture here, people smelled money. Now, over the last couple decades the wedding industry exploded. Instead of it being an opportunity to get some cash together to start a life, a huge amount of people go into debt for their weddings, which cost on average almost $30,000. I find it horrific. That's just the cost to host the party though, the total cost is far more.

Anyhow, yeah, when you see those 5 unhappy women in their shitty pink dresses, they almost always had to pay for them. And getting to the wedding place, and staying nearby, and then, when they're done, they are expected to give a generous gift. There are weddings that I've gone to that have cost more than a thousand dollars for me to attend. What did I get out of it? I got to be in some fucking generic dump I didn't want to be in, listening to shitty music, eating mediocre food, and listening to some person I'll never talk to again explain the highways they took to get there, and how they made "good time."

Not sure if its different in Europe, but weddings are not as much of a thing there in general.

Interesting. By the way, folks getting into debt, particularly the father of the bride by spending on extravagant (for their financial level) weddings, is very common in India also. Travel costs are borne by the individuals unless the wedding is in some fancy resort or a different location. In that case, then you reach the house of the bride and the groom and they will arrange transport. The accommodation is provided for by the folks organizing the wedding. And if there is any dress code then the bride and groom and family pay for the dresses.

My oldest son got married last summer. His bride's family weren't in the picture so we did the whole thing. A small family affair. She wore my wife's dress (slightly tailored), he gave her my grandmother's ring, she gave him my original wedding band, they married at our local church at no rental cost, they spent 4 days in Florida for their honeymoon. Reception at our church at no cost. Catered the dinner, had some flowers and some rented tables/chairs/etc.

Cost me $10k. Almost can't do a wedding cheaper than that these days. I can't imagine how much it could have been.

Looks like they embraced it

You should try China. Those sound like paupers weddings in comparison! Utterly ridiculous now and many young men can't afford to marry.

Looks like they embraced it

Cannot believe the world is questioning this, the controversy over everything they have done is a fucking joke on the side of the media. This world cup will be known as one of the few with very little incident, and was a demonstration that people can actually watch a game without being pissed out of their head, and also probably one the best organized. Also those getting so offended by the Arabic garment - not only has a good explanation been given on here by dreamy, but also those of you who are graduates maybe you should look into the real history of that gown you wore on graduation day - ALL of that goes back to the Arab world not European history.

From all the media bitching - it seems that it is only western european nation media that have caused all the fuss - the rest of the world were just there for the footy. As Klopp said when questioned - where were all the media when it was originally given to that nation, and where was all the mass protests when immigrants were dying building those stadiums ? - just the odd article here and there. I tell you what - despite all those Bangladeshi's dying building those stadiums - Bangladesh is fully celebrating Argentina's win like their own.

Cannot believe the world is questioning this, the controversy over everything they have done is a fucking joke on the side of the media. This world cup will be known as one of the few with very little incident, and was a demonstration that people can actually watch a game without being pissed out of their head, and also probably one the best organized. Also those getting so offended by the Arabic garment - not only has a good explanation been given on here by dreamy, but also those of you who are graduates maybe you should look into the real history of that gown you wore on graduation day - ALL of that goes back to the Arab world not European history.

From all the media bitching - it seems that it is only western european nation media that have caused all the fuss - the rest of the world were just there for the footy. As Klopp said when questioned - where were all the media when it was originally given to that nation, and where was all the mass protests when immigrants were dying building those stadiums ? - just the odd article here and there. I tell you what - despite all those Bangladeshi's dying building those stadiums - Bangladesh is fully celebrating Argentina's win like their own.
You can have both. I didn’t have a drop for 6 weeks in Brazil 2014. My mate was drinking. Best 6 weeks you could imagine.

My oldest son got married last summer. His bride's family weren't in the picture so we did the whole thing. A small family affair. She wore my wife's dress (slightly tailored), he gave her my grandmother's ring, she gave him my original wedding band, they married at our local church at no rental cost, they spent 4 days in Florida for their honeymoon. Reception at our church at no cost. Catered the dinner, had some flowers and some rented tables/chairs/etc.

Cost me $10k. Almost can't do a wedding cheaper than that these days. I can't imagine how much it could have been.

He did? How is that POSSIBLE? Congrats and prayers for all concerned. :)

He did? How is that POSSIBLE? Congrats and prayers for all concerned. :)

A question I ask myself almost daily…

He’s a very old head and has some physical disabilities that narrow the pool, let’s say. He met a girl who loves him exactly how he is, and who comes with some life difficulties herself. So they are a good match.

We were 21 when we married but I hear 30 is the new 20 nowadays. They seem so young but it’s wonderful to watch them grow together and learn to love and serve each other.

Anyone else bored of the Messi love-in already?

The one benefit is it's getting Ronaldo's skin, but I'm starting to wish the little ginger dwarf had pulled his hamstring in the first minute and France bagged the winner. Back to club football please!

Anyone else bored of the Messi love-in already?

The one benefit is it's getting Ronaldo's skin, but I'm starting to wish the little ginger dwarf had pulled his hamstring in the first minute and France bagged the winner. Back to club football please!

Messi fawning aside (which has been OTT throughout the tournament but then they kinda have to do that shit) it's pretty cool to see the scenes back in Argentina.

It definitely means a lot more to them than it woulda done for the French.

Emi Martinez is a world class troll.

320855260_802889050808780_3716134313384343139_n.jpg

I don't get the fuss regarding Messi being made to wear a Bisht.

"The cloak Messi was wearing is a Bisht, which is a traditional men’s cloak that’s popular in the Arab world and is understood to date back thousands of years.
A Bisht is worn on special occasions such as weddings or celebration of festivals such as Eid, the religious holiday celebrated by Muslims that marks the end of the month-long dawn-to-sunset fasting of Ramadan."

The Bisht from my understanding is something meaningful for the Arab world. It might mean a lot to them to see someone lift the world cup wearing a bisht. It is actually quite customary in multiple communities in Asia to give an item of clothing representing their culture while felicitating an individual. In India, you will see the guest of honor draped in a shawl during the ceremony. Wearing that is also a way the guest conveys respect to the folks who are honoring him.

There are a lot of things to criticize but why criticize every aspect of it. Not everything is sports washing.
Every single thing about this world cup has been sports washing and it shouldnt be remembered for anything else than the sham that it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom