• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Cup of the Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the story with keeping the trophy? Brazil won the Jules Rimet 3 times and kept it, why didn't the Germans keep the current trophy after 2014? Now the Argies have done 3.

The Emir standing there with Infantino to hand out the trophy to Messi just ruined that moment.
Messi shouldnt have accepted to wear that Harry Potter invinceble cloak.

The Emir standing there with Infantino to hand out the trophy to Messi just ruined that moment.
Messi shouldnt have accepted to wear that Harry Potter invinceble cloak.

Bit odd putting Messi in that gear, was that really necessary? I don't know what it symbolised but, a game of footy didn't need it.

The robe thing was a bit embaressing but him saying no would make him a massive hypocrit especially since he is banking millions from Qatar at PSG and would have been a poiness gesture.

The robe thing was a bit embaressing but him saying no would make him a massive hypocrit especially since he is banking millions from Qatar at PSG and would have been a poiness gesture.

Yup. You just won the World Cup, your hosts want to have a bit of dumb fun... Why wouldn't you oblige? Why is there even a need to debate this?

Yup. You just won the World Cup, your hosts want to have a bit of dumb fun... Why wouldn't you oblige? Why is there even a need to debate this?

Making a statement out of something that's fuck all to do with you? Just a thought.

Reminded me of when, and I need some help here, Thommo went to lift the European Cup and some UEFA cunt lifted it before him (I think).

Just let the football do the talking.

Winning capt wears garb of the native nation ...

Sportswashing.

Qataris breathing.... sportswashing!!!

Yes!! It was cringe as heck, yes it kinda ruined the pics.

But slowly we're realising ppl I'm diff countries have diff traditions.

Many of the comments are justified re Qatar.
The corruption to even get it in the first place, the migrant workers etc..

But let's remember the racism, of some of the countries calling out Qataris.

So sportswashing and Qatar making this about them in the special moment for Messi is a bit of dumb fun?
They got the picture of him wearing it lifting the trophy. It was a massive moment for Qatar and something that shouldnt have happened. Infantino is Blatter 2.0.

So sportswashing and Qatar making this about them in the special moment for Messi is a bit of dumb fun?
They got the picture of him wearing it lifting the trophy. It was a massive moment for Qatar and something that shouldnt have happened. Infantino is Blatter 2.0.
Just burn FIFA to the ground

It wasn't the best WC in terms of quality.
But the drama was something else.
That was easily the best WC Final ever.
Pleased for Messi. Even more chuffed about Ronaldo (fake).
How bad is Lautaro Martinez? He's spunk. In every game.
Mbappe is awesome, I did think France were a bit meh in every game, England should have beaten them.
Righteous winners Argies.

Said same thing re: Lauturo Martinez in WhatsApp thread. If you’d never heard of him before and based your assessment of him purely on this WC you’d think he is the worst striker around, a proper donkey.

Every sub appearance seemed to be worse than the last.

I don't get the fuss regarding Messi being made to wear a Bisht.

"The cloak Messi was wearing is a Bisht, which is a traditional men’s cloak that’s popular in the Arab world and is understood to date back thousands of years.
A Bisht is worn on special occasions such as weddings or celebration of festivals such as Eid, the religious holiday celebrated by Muslims that marks the end of the month-long dawn-to-sunset fasting of Ramadan."

The Bisht from my understanding is something meaningful for the Arab world. It might mean a lot to them to see someone lift the world cup wearing a bisht. It is actually quite customary in multiple communities in Asia to give an item of clothing representing their culture while felicitating an individual. In India, you will see the guest of honor draped in a shawl during the ceremony. Wearing that is also a way the guest conveys respect to the folks who are honoring him.

There are a lot of things to criticize but why criticize every aspect of it. Not everything is sports washing.

Lot of people going on like this final was a brilliant game. I didn't see it that way exactly, it was definitely exciting.

I thought France were clearly compromised by the illness, but also just aren't a very convincing team. They had been finding just enough to win, again and again. Sometimes that's the sign of champions, but sometimes it's just a team that hasn't quite come together. They are without a doubt a team of excellent players, and even more so a squad of excellent players, but I don't know what their style is.

They have great individual attackers and great individual defenders and in a tournament that didn't have much depth in terms of real quality teams, that's almost enough.

Argentina was more than the sum of their parts, some of which are quite average. Argentinas team goal was my favorite in the whole tournament and they were worthy winners, and while I don't get carried away with the whole messi narrative, this is one of the only players ever who has caused me to watch a dumb game I don't care about, simply to watch him. So fuck it, give him to him. Better him than mbappe.

It would have been unjust had Argentina lost, but not as unjust as dying building a backdrop for some rich asshole who wants a photo next to Messi in a robe. It wouldn't be that unexpected either, because they've been a moody team that tires and doesn't have a great bench. Of the teams with the talent to win it, they were the best team.

France almost bullshitted a world cup win though today. And I never thought they looked like anything special. How is that brilliant?

They are the fucking hosts whether you like it or not and its a nice gesture towards their culture. You should calm down a bit and get off your high horse, cause Messi is lifting that trophy for 47 million Argentinians and he doesn't give two hoots what some Europeans up their own arse think.

I was half-joking with my mate when the Argies were leading 2-0 and they were celebrating like they've won it (fools, haven't they learnt from Brazil yet?), that it would be hilarious if Mbappe scored 2 late goals to force extra time. When the second goal went in, we went mental.

And then i said to my mate that if Mbappe scored the equaliser again, that would be the funniest shit ever. And he did. We ROLFMAO-ed.

That was easily the most entertaining WC final ever. 80 mins of one of the most one-sided and boring finals i've ever seen until Mbappe decided to show up. And then boom, everyone started screaming and shouting in ecstasy. It was just end-to-end stuff afterwards.

If money was no issue, only TWO players i'd love to buy after this WC...

Jude
Mbappe

We'd be unstoppable.

But yes, enough of fantasy football. Back to the real stuff.

Keita
Ox
Artur (soon)
They're all back. Silver linings...

Many of the comments are justified re Qatar.
The corruption to even get it in the first place, the migrant workers etc..

But let's remember the racism, of some of the countries calling out Qataris.

Damn. You've just spoilt my enjoyment of currently binge watching The Last Kingdom.

I don't get the fuss regarding Messi being made to wear a Bisht.

"The cloak Messi was wearing is a Bisht, which is a traditional men’s cloak that’s popular in the Arab world and is understood to date back thousands of years.
A Bisht is worn on special occasions such as weddings or celebration of festivals such as Eid, the religious holiday celebrated by Muslims that marks the end of the month-long dawn-to-sunset fasting of Ramadan."

The Bisht from my understanding is something meaningful for the Arab world. It might mean a lot to them to see someone lift the world cup wearing a bisht. It is actually quite customary in multiple communities in Asia to give an item of clothing representing their culture while felicitating an individual. In India, you will see the guest of honor draped in a shawl during the ceremony. Wearing that is also a way the guest conveys respect to the folks who are honoring him.

There are a lot of things to criticize but why criticize every aspect of it. Not everything is sports washing.
Ha, it was so long ago I'd almost forgotten but after our civil wedding in Lagos (to my Chinese wife) we were blessed by the local Chief, first draped in traditional Nigerian robes and then sprinkled with vodka!

Loose cannon

FkSGplwaYAAH3oU

Is that a look of disapproval...envy....or something else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom