• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Cup of the Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot of people going on like this final was a brilliant game. I didn't see it that way exactly, it was definitely exciting.

I thought France were clearly compromised by the illness, but also just aren't a very convincing team. They had been finding just enough to win, again and again. Sometimes that's the sign of champions, but sometimes it's just a team that hasn't quite come together. They are without a doubt a team of excellent players, and even more so a squad of excellent players, but I don't know what their style is.

They have great individual attackers and great individual defenders and in a tournament that didn't have much depth in terms of real quality teams, that's almost enough.

Argentina was more than the sum of their parts, some of which are quite average. Argentinas team goal was my favorite in the whole tournament and they were worthy winners, and while I don't get carried away with the whole messi narrative, this is one of the only players ever who has caused me to watch a dumb game I don't care about, simply to watch him. So fuck it, give him to him. Better him than mbappe.

It would have been unjust had Argentina lost, but not as unjust as dying building a backdrop for some rich asshole who wants a photo next to Messi in a robe. It wouldn't be that unexpected either, because they've been a moody team that tires and doesn't have a great bench. Of the teams with the talent to win it, they were the best team.

France almost bullshitted a world cup win though today. And I never thought they looked like anything special. How is that brilliant?

Yep, they played most of the entire match like they were carrying an IV drip or something. Clearly were affected by illness.

But Mbappe also proved he was clearly not human.

FkSGplwaYAAH3oU

Is that a look of disapproval...envy....or something else
"I'm going to cut them all off !

I don't get the fuss regarding Messi being made to wear a Bisht.

"The cloak Messi was wearing is a Bisht, which is a traditional men’s cloak that’s popular in the Arab world and is understood to date back thousands of years.
A Bisht is worn on special occasions such as weddings or celebration of festivals such as Eid, the religious holiday celebrated by Muslims that marks the end of the month-long dawn-to-sunset fasting of Ramadan."

The Bisht from my understanding is something meaningful for the Arab world. It might mean a lot to them to see someone lift the world cup wearing a bisht. It is actually quite customary in multiple communities in Asia to give an item of clothing representing their culture while felicitating an individual. In India, you will see the guest of honor draped in a shawl during the ceremony. Wearing that is also a way the guest conveys respect to the folks who are honoring him.

There are a lot of things to criticize but why criticize every aspect of it. Not everything is sports washing.

This is the problem though. Its so easy to forget how the World cup ended up in Qatar, how the stadiums have been built and the general conditions for the migrant workers. It instead ends with people defending them making this moment all about the Emir and Infantino. If you really think this wasnt planned for the benefit of those two and Qatar you are naïve.

Has this ever happened before? Did the French captain get dressed in a Sarafan in 2018? Was Cannavaro wearing lederhosen in 2006?

They should have given it to him as a gift after the ceremony, fine. No point in making him wear it to hide the Argentina kit while lifting the trophy and enjoying a moment for him and his nation. Pointless.

It wasn't the best WC in terms of quality.
But the drama was something else.
That was easily the best WC Final ever.
Pleased for Messi. Even more chuffed about Ronaldo (fake).
How bad is Lautaro Martinez? He's spunk. In every game.
Mbappe is awesome, I did think France were a bit meh in every game, England should have beaten them.
Righteous winners Argies.
Martinez changed the game and swung it back in Argentina’s favour when they were down and out.
His running and movement was superb.

Martinez changed the game and swung it back in Argentina’s favour when they were down and out.
And he missed two chances: one good one excellent, without even threatening the goal. Both could have won it in ET but those misses stand out more than France's which was an excellent save. For a goalscorer his lack of accuracy throughout the tournament was notable.

This is the problem though. Its so easy to forget how the World cup ended up in Qatar, how the stadiums have been built and the general conditions for the migrant workers. It instead ends with people defending them making this moment all about the Emir and Infantino. If you really think this wasnt planned for the benefit of those two and Qatar you are naïve.

Has this ever happened before? Did the French captain get dressed in a Sarafan in 2018? Was Cannavaro wearing lederhosen in 2006?

They should have given it to him as a gift after the ceremony, fine. No point in making him wear it to hide the Argentina kit while lifting the trophy and enjoying a moment for him and his nation. Pointless.
Well clearly it wasn't 'pointless' ;)

P2t6JSE3LmkXgivBGMvePXqUWhonnAMElHXfSszOk7E.jpg

Lighten up dude. When you win, everybody wants to fuck you on television.
Just enjoy the moment.

What stuck me was how stupid Lloris was. He let Martinez do that every kick. After the first one, he should have been handing each of his own players the ball like our keepers.

It was weird and yes, fairly deliberate, but then 3/4 of the games biggest stars play for the Qataris at PSG so it's all a bit of a joke anyways.

P2t6JSE3LmkXgivBGMvePXqUWhonnAMElHXfSszOk7E.jpg

Lighten up dude. When you win, everybody wants to fuck you on television.
Just enjoy the moment.

I’m guessing you think Infantinos press conference before the World cup was okay as well.
Each to their own.

Has Budweiser come out to say they aren’t giving FIFA a penny due to not fulfilling the contract?

He's dogshit. He was in every game.

Plus I'm sick of seeing these haircuts that look like the barber got bored half-way through. Either grow it or get it cut properly.

He's dogshit. He was in every game.

Plus I'm sick of seeing these haircuts that look like the barber got bored half-way through. Either grow it or get it cut properly.
You've just turned into your dad with that comment.

Your journey from Radio One listener to Radio Four listener is almost complete

Last edited:
There has been quite a bit of online commentary, some of it quite derogatory, regarding the black robe that Lionel Messi wore prior to accepting the World Cup. For context, I wanted to explain its significance.

The garment is called a ‘bisht’ and it is an outer garment worn in predominantly Arab countries. The name is derived from the Akkadian word ‘bishtu’ which means ‘nobility’ or ‘prestige’.

This garment is considered a symbol of great honour. It’s a status symbol amongst royalty, the wealthy and those with high social rank, much like a cross between ceremonial graduation robes or, in Western terms, wearing a black tuxedo at a special occasion.

When it’s the Emir of a country literally gifting you the bisht, putting it on you with his own hands, it’s the highest honour that can be bestowed upon that civilian. It has nothing to do with religion at all.

Messi may not have understood what it meant when he graciously wore it, but it was the Qatari way of recognising him for the GOAT that he is.

- Sara

And he missed two chances: one good one excellent, without even threatening the goal. Both could have won it in ET but those misses stand out more than France's which was an excellent save. For a goalscorer his lack of accuracy throughout the tournament was notable.
He missed chances for sure but to borrow a phrase used elsewhere he was chaos and stretched the French just when it looked like they would steal it away from Messi.
To say he was dogshit shows a very narrow view of the game imo. He literally changed the course of the WC final in Argentina’s favour.

He missed chances for sure but to borrow a phrase used elsewhere he was chaos and stretched the French just when it looked like they would steal it away from Messi.
To say he was dogshit shows a very narrow view of the game imo. He literally changed the course of the WC final in Argentina’s favour.
I didn't say he was dogshit - I said as a striker he was bloody awful !

Lautaro Martinez is gash, though, isn't he?
That’s what stood out for me— the lack of accuracy. Busy as all get out but couldn’t hit a barn door. His stats at Inter seem to bear that out, too.

Last edited:

Come on now, that's the bare minimum fresh legs are supposed to provide.

He's been completely out of sorts all tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom