• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Let’s take them up the Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
[article]
Given recent events, it would not surprise me if it was fear that caused assistant referee Constantine Hatzidakis to react in the way he did towards Andy Robertson after the half-time whistle was blown against Arsenal.

The Liverpool defender approaches the match official from behind, making him unaware of his presence. There appears to be contact between Robertson and Hatzidakis, and the assistant is trying to release himself by walking away from the Scotland international.

Players engaging in contact with referees has been in the news recently with Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic being found guilty of manhandling an official during their FA Cup quarter-final against Manchester United last month.

The Serbian received an eight-game ban for his actions and there have also been instances of threats from players and managers to referees in recent years. I would not be surprised if this had a role in Hatzidakis acting unusually.

When you use your elbow as a weapon, you clench your fist and hit down to make an impact but Hatzidakis has pushed his elbow up towards Robertson in the same way you would squat a fly who was pestering you.

With that said, there is a basis in football that players are not allowed to touch a match official and it goes the same way with match officials towards players and footage appears to show Hatzidakis making contact with Robertson during the altercation.

Referees have attacked players in other leagues but the situation which occurred at Anfield is unprecedented in English football.

Therefore, given the circumstances it is important we do not judge this unusual situation before a full investigation is carried out which provides much-needed clarity.
It will no doubt have serious implications for Hatzidakis’ career should he be found guilty and just like a player, will receive a suspension.

I am sure the Professional Game Match Officials LTD (PGMOL) and the Football Association will use the referees report as well as every angle possible in the stadium before coming to a conclusion.

[/article]

Keith Hackett has had his say. I like how he concludes with not making judgments without investigating but starts the piece with possible feelings and assumptions about contact.

I don't think I'm directing bile at him by criticizing him. And yes, it's the same stuff every game because we've largely been shit and many of the reasons we are shit we've been aware of for a couple years.

Regarding what I expected, I'm not expecting anything else, I thought we should have sold him.

If he has gone up against their fullback 4 times in a game and lost the ball on the dribble and had tame shots easily blocked, then maybe he can instead hold the ball and introduce others into play. At least then we will have possession, get our fullbacks involved, and our slow midfielders up the pitch. That's how we scored both goals. It also means we arent at risk in transition. Just don't lose the ball. Don't try to do it yourself.

If he's shitting on the fullback and feeling it then go ahead.

The criticism points raised aren’t anything new, it’s been raised previously but negating his end product as non productive based on that is what I have issues with.

When Salah does try to take the ball on and beat player it is no longer effective lost of the time but that doesn’t mean getting fbs involved is the solution, the way we lose most goals recently is our fbs being caught out of position. I don’t see that as a silver bullet.
It could be having a better RCM would help that.
Moving Salah central was something we tried earlier in the season from what I remember and didn’t really work.

If we had functional front 3 then to me that would take the focus away, we don’t have that.

Without Salah’s I would imagine whether like it or not, not checked the stats but I assume we would be fighting relegation.

I don't think I'm directing bile at him by criticizing him. And yes, it's the same stuff every game because we've largely been shit and many of the reasons we are shit we've been aware of for a couple years.

Regarding what I expected, I'm not expecting anything else, I thought we should have sold him.

If he has gone up against their fullback 4 times in a game and lost the ball on the dribble and had tame shots easily blocked, then maybe he can instead hold the ball and introduce others into play. At least then we will have possession, get our fullbacks involved, and our slow midfielders up the pitch. That's how we scored both goals. It also means we arent at risk in transition. Just don't lose the ball. Don't try to do it yourself.

If he's shitting on the fullback and feeling it then go ahead.

I wish he had remembered "give and go".
Just because he is a ball-hog himself, he might get it back yanno

Messi to Barca
Salah to PSG

Make it happen jesus, that is why you have returned this morning

How are proposing to Barca afford Messi?
Salah to Chelsea makes more sense, they need a forward but have the rest.
I hope we sell him, just so to see the billions of goals we are going to score with current ordinary millionaires who can beat a man. Bring on the new season.

Messi is being offered $300m per season to play for Al-Hilal. He can stay at PSG an continue to receive $50m per season, but there is no love.
Go to Al-Hilal, play couple is seasons, and earn as much money as working else where.
If PSG offered £50m for Salah, would you take it? I wouldn't!

Messi is being offered $300m per season to play for Al-Hilal. He can stay at PSG an continue to receive $50m per season, but there is no love.
Go to Al-Hilal, play couple is seasons, and earn as much money as working else where.
If PSG offered £50m for Salah, would you take it? I wouldn't!

I would drive him to PSG myself just to see whom the next scapegoat is…

I would drive him to PSG myself just to see whom the next scapegoat is…

The players that have had significant criticism directed at them this season, I'd rank something like:

Trent
Fabinho
Nunez
Henderson
Gomez
VVD
Gakpo
Salah

This is by no means comprehensive.

Why are you making it out like he's being martyred? Our assistant coach has had more withering criticism.

The players that have had significant criticism directed at them this season, I'd rank something like:

Trent
Fabinho
Nunez
Henderson
Gomez
VVD
Gakpo
Salah

This is by no means comprehensive.

Why are you making it out like he's being martyred? Our assistant coach has had more withering criticism.

Why are you taking this so personal?
Have a look back at the Salah stuff on this forum, it’s embaressing and unreasonable, it’s like some people only watched us in the last 5yrs. The last 5yrs should be considered the golden age, no idea what’s after this…

Everyone has been shit, even Klopp. Maybe only Alli gets off.

As for Salah, Trent, VVD, they get heat because they have been so much better in the past. Expectations are higher.
And we compare with their prime, which at least two of those are past.

Once they provide diminishing returns then get rid. I’ve been consistent with that. If Ali’s levels drop show him the door. Be ruthless.

Looking forward to the focussed threads on it next year.
As legends, I would prefer to remember what they have achieved and give them a little allowance when I can.
Maybe I just spend too much time in youth football and cricket setups to counter the frothing parents and kids to see this once great team slide away.

Last edited:
We have had every single one of our players justifiably and unjustifiably picked apart this season. The press has largely given Salah a pass because he is still scoring, but is it so odd that with two new young attackers, I expect that a declining great can add a little maturity to their play to help a team? Kane's brain is two potato chip bags, sat on a union jack picnic blanket, endlessly saying "y'roight?" to each other, and he figured something out.

I don't want Salah to fail. We're on the same team. I also hope he scores bucket loads of goals. But, if he doesn't, or we continue to be shit, I'd like him to confront that reality.

A “like” just for the Kane bit. You’ve created an unforgettable image.

Hackett : The Liverpool defender approaches the match official from behind, making him unaware of his presence.

I'm not sure how anyone could be unaware of Robbo's dulcet tones from 4 feet away.

As for 'diminishing returns' it depends on what level those returns have reached. As Mo still retains his position as one of the most prolific strikers (goals 6th & assists 5th) in the PL, despite us playing like shite most of the season, it's simply not on to complain about his salary (commensurate with his return - and probably less than he could earn at at least another half a dozen clubs). That is the reality of the footballing PL world we live in.

We could gamble on some young and upcoming striker (because we sure as hell can't afford to buy a top striker) but there's no guarantee at all that he'd work out (we're still trying to integrate Nunez & Gakpo) and in fact it's likely it'd slow the rebuild further, thereby ensuring we fail to qualify for the CL for a few more seasons and so make us even less attractive, becoming a Spurs in other words.

Whilst we retain players of world standing that are globally admired by other players ; such as Salah, VvD, Trent, Ali and even Thiago (I've thrown in as many names, guaranteed to wind Momo up, as possible), we remain an attractive destination.

Last edited:
Old Mo scored pens this Mo doesn’t even hit the target

Old Mo beat players for fun this Mo likes to kick it straight at the defender.

Old Mo helped getting back this Mo gives one a game.

We gambled on buying Mo and look what we got. Maybe, all hypothetical, a replacement would’ve seen greater improvement across the whole side.

Old Mo scored pens this Mo doesn’t even hit the target

Old Mo beat players for fun this Mo likes to kick it straight at the defender.

Old Mo helped getting back this Mo gives one a game.

We gambled on buying Mo and look what we got. Maybe, all hypothetical, a replacement would’ve seen greater improvement across the whole side.

Maybe I'm imagining it but it seems like Salah has been trying to dribble directly through defenders for as long as I can remember. When he was scoring for fun I just tried to ignore it, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom