• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Let’s Leeds them up the garden path!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raaaaatingsssssss

Ali 7 - Pretty much a spectactor, nothing he could do about the goal.

Trent 9 - Back to back games in midfield and quelle surprise he once again shows his class throughout the game when he's not being asked to defend.
Virgil 7
Ibou 7 - Took 1 point off for the goal we conceded but he picked himself back up and won pretty much all his duels, 50/50s.
Robbo 8

Fab 6
Hendo 7
Jones 9 - ran the show at times, really surprised how well he's done the last few games.

Salah 8
Gakpo 7
Jota 7 - +1 for the goals, that first half was ridiculously poor from him.

I could quibble a bit about the specific numbers but this is more or less right.

I could quibble a bit about the specific numbers but this is more or less right.
No need, you can just say I'm spot on bang on the money and leave it there.

Probably was being bit generous with Fab and Hendo tbh, couldv'e knocked Fab to 5 and Hendo 6 but thought fuck it we won 6-1 away.

Who would have thought with a weeks rest our players aren’t as shit as everyone has been saying.

Rocket science stuff.

We’ll be back in the title conversation next season.

Like everyone, I’m liking Trent in his new role but the one thing I’d be cautious of is he’s still covering right back.

We look like we have a more fluid set up not with us switching between 4, 3 and even 2 at the back with Trent coming to snide and operating very deep with freedom and space to get on the ball and ping passes around.

If we do add a RB - surely that means Trent’s role would change and he’d either have to move in to the Fabinho or Hendo role - which would mean he needs to be on top of a pile of other things like closing down, pressing - which aren’t his best skills.

It looks like the system is designed to give him as free a playing role as possible and provide better cover for the space in behind him (with Konate filling that gap).

We could, of course, go to a more rigid 3 at the back but that feels like we would be trading fluidity and also would negate the need for a RB.

It does raise the question of what we do if Trent isn’t able to play because he’s unique.

Also - it’ll not take all that long for teams to work out what we’re up to and counteract it.

So Jones gets a run of games after a number of injuries and suddenly looks the part again?

This place is hilarious :D

I know - I just don't understand it, the abuse he gets really upsets me, the boy is way too talented to actually leave out. I would argue that when he plays our ball retention in midfield is so much better because he is along with Bajcetic and Thiago one of the best press resistant players we have. Its actually what we really need when we don't have midfield runners anymore.

Anyone reading this thread would be thinking what an absolute mess of a starting lineup. Especially the early abuse of Jota.

I'm so glad none of us are part of the coaching team.

Also, many of us have forgotten how world class Diaz is. Things can only look bright from here onwards.

Anyone reading this thread would be thinking what an absolute mess of a starting lineup. Especially the early abuse of Jota.

Also, many of us have forgotten how world class Diaz is. Things can only look bright from here onwards.
To be fair, anyone reading this thread or the Man United thread will think we are at the top of the table. I think fans are allowed to go overboard sometimes and we have our favourites (and our peeves), that doesn't mean we do not want the team to do well in every game.

Yes. And that is why almost everyone on 6CM needs therapy. Pretty sure everyone's bipolar on here, although people who are bipolar are frequently associated with genius and creativity....so...hmmm, maybe not then.

So Jones gets a run of games after a number of injuries and suddenly looks the part again?

This place is hilarious :D
Before all the injuries he was playing pretty badly. That might have been down to the role he was playing, but he was adding nothing.

Really hope this is the start of him becoming a proper part of the team after his promising early signs.

vs Chelsea was the first time Jones started a game since Nov 2022 and yesterday was his 3rd consecutive start for us - for club/country, it's 4 in a row (came on as a sub vs. France U21) since God knows when :p. Regular game time obviously helps. :)

Untitled.jpg

The thing I saw from us last night, which I've been thinking we should do for a while now, is that we dominated possession. That might be because Leeds are shit, but it also might have been a game plan. It's clear that our midfielders in particular can't play the intense, all-action, all-sprinting football that has been Klopp's trademark, but they are also decent footballers who are capable of holding on to the ball and playing more of a passing game.
I think this is the logical way for us to improve our performances between now and the end of the season, given the personnel we have and their physical limitations after years of balls-out Klopp football, and if that requires a change of formation (i.e. Trent's role) as well as a change in approach then we need to do that.
In short, the players can't run around like lunatics anymore, but they can let the ball do the running for them.

Raaaaatingsssssss

Ali 7 - Pretty much a spectactor, nothing he could do about the goal.

Trent 9 - Back to back games in midfield and quelle surprise he once again shows his class throughout the game when he's not being asked to defend.
Virgil 7
Ibou 7 - Took 1 point off for the goal we conceded but he picked himself back up and won pretty much all his duels, 50/50s.
Robbo 8

Fab 6
Hendo 7
Jones 9 - ran the show at times, really surprised how well he's done the last few games.

Salah 8
Gakpo 7
Jota 7 - +1 for the goals, that first half was ridiculously poor from him.
I'd give Fabs a 7 as the reason we ran the show was he and Jones didn't let Leeds get a look in. His Yellow was unlucky - nutmegged as he tried to block.

Jones gets an 8 - he had a great game and a * superb * pass for Jota's first. But he gave the ball away or missed his tackles far too much in the first half.

Hendo picked himself up after a frankly awful first half. 6 overall.

Like everyone, I’m liking Trent in his new role but the one thing I’d be cautious of is he’s still covering right back.

We look like we have a more fluid set up not with us switching between 4, 3 and even 2 at the back with Trent coming to snide and operating very deep with freedom and space to get on the ball and ping passes around.

If we do add a RB - surely that means Trent’s role would change and he’d either have to move in to the Fabinho or Hendo role - which would mean he needs to be on top of a pile of other things like closing down, pressing - which aren’t his best skills.

It looks like the system is designed to give him as free a playing role as possible and provide better cover for the space in behind him (with Konate filling that gap).

We could, of course, go to a more rigid 3 at the back but that feels like we would be trading fluidity and also would negate the need for a RB.

It does raise the question of what we do if Trent isn’t able to play because he’s unique.

Also - it’ll not take all that long for teams to work out what we’re up to and counteract it.
City and Arsenal are already playing their RBs like this. No need to go back to a more conventional set up (and of course this enables Klopp to keep face as Trent is still nominally our RB) !

Last edited:
Sorry, missed the game. I take it he played well in midfield?

He did, he ran the show really and was pinging in dangerous balls from everywhere. I really don't understand why we haven't done it sooner. He's poor at right back and we are desperate for a creative midfielder. It's an absolute no brainer. He might playing the inverted role, but as the game wore on he was given licence to be across the midfield and in advanced positions more and more central. I thought he was brilliant.

City and Arsenal are already playing their RBs like this. No need to go back to a more conventional set up (and of course this enables Klopp to keep face as Trent is still nominally our RB) !

There's every need to use a more conventional set up. City are doing it with a player who is first and foremost a solid defender. We're asking a player who's poor in the more conventional set up, to be able to still cover that position from a more advanced position. Sure, he can put his foot in and help out, but he's never going to be the answer and at the minute, Konate is stretched all over the place as a result (and if he gets injured, we really have a problem).

Klopp says it was the best we’ve played all season. Fans are knee jerk clueless emotional wrecks :D

Before all the injuries he was playing pretty badly. That might have been down to the role he was playing, but he was adding nothing.

Really hope this is the start of him becoming a proper part of the team after his promising early signs.
He was in poor form like almost everyone else and obviously one swallow doesn’t make a summer etc but he was never a bad player and has always had bags of potential. Would love to see him stay fit and play the rest of the season. Thought he was superb today.

He did, he ran the show really and was pinging in dangerous balls from everywhere. I really don't understand why we haven't done it sooner. He's poor at right back and we are desperate for a creative midfielder. It's an absolute no brainer. He might playing the inverted role, but as the game wore on he was given licence to be across the midfield and in advanced positions more and more central. I thought he was brilliant.
I've been saying it for years Mark...

I think for parts of the game TAA look ok in midfield, but how much of that was down to Leeds who looked quite poor, and often failed to keep hold of the ball.
If we use this system again it would be intresting to see how it pans out against a team that has a better midfield and can hold on to the ball better

I know - I just don't understand it, the abuse he gets really upsets me, the boy is way too talented to actually leave out. I would argue that when he plays our ball retention in midfield is so much better because he is along with Bajcetic and Thiago one of the best press resistant players we have. Its actually what we really need when we don't have midfield runners anymore.
I am kicking you out of the Loons group.
CJ has a couple of good games, so has Naby, and just like Naby is prone to injuries. Unlike Naby he isn't on massive wages. If someone offers £15-20m (for CJ) I am taking it. But I doubt Klopp will.
If we get 3 MFs, a RB, and a CB, I am not going to complain about who stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom