• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Let’s Leeds them up the garden path!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we saw Trent coming inside a lot at the start of the season but it didn’t have a positive effect on our play - but I think there are 2 important changes that are making it work now.

1. Konate is tge obvious obe - he’s by far our best option for a right sided CB who can effectively cover against opposition LW’s - Matip doesn’t have the pace and Gomez doesn’t have the positional awareness.

2. Gakpo - and this, I think, is the important one - at the start of the season we were setting up with Nunez centrally who was playing high against the opposition line, meaning Salah was staying out wide more. Gakpo is playing more like prime Bobby (positionally), so he’s staying Central but dropping deep which creates space for Salah & the Left sided forward to come inside - and it also drags a CB out of the centre if they track him.

Mo has been more involved of late - if he was in form he’d have scored a bucket load more goals than he has.

It all means we’re more fluid in attack and it means that Trent; while also being fluid in that he can stay out wide or move inside or drop deep depending on whether Robbo has pushed up on the other side; isn’t as easy to pin down and target by the opposition.

Makes it interesting as to what we need as a replacement for Gendo in that role - someone who can press and harry in the centre, technically good, retains possession but is also capable of moving out wide, overlapping and putting in good crosses.

Someone comfortable at CM & RW.

That's an interesting point about Gakpoo. I never saw it like that.

If you're right about this, then that shows once again, that we should be glad none of us are part of the coaching team, cos frankly, most of us haven't the faintest clue. I was (and still am) part of the group who questioned why we wasted our money on Gakpoo.

I'm still not a fan of him. He plays like a robot. Maybe he's secretly an AI android still learning the game.

In half a season he's doing a more credible firmino impression than any other player has done. He is very responsive to tactical advice and we need someone with brains up top to lead a press, especially in the absence of any real midfield leadership. Our other two forwards in Nunez and salah who would rather not be worrying about anything other than goals. Nunez will have a bit of a go because he's being yelled at. Salah will do it in a couple games a season. Gomez has adapted well in an unbelievably shit season with very little consistency in the side in general. I don't really see what's not to like.

In half a season he's doing a more credible firmino impression than any other player has done. He is very responsive to tactical advice and we need someone with brains up top to lead a press, especially in the absence of any real midfield leadership. Our other two forwards in Nunez and salah who would rather not be worrying about anything other than goals. Nunez will have a bit of a go because he's being yelled at. Salah will do it in a couple games a season. Gomez has adapted well in an unbelievably shit season with very little consistency in the side in general. I don't really see what's not to like.

Even changed his name to fit in with Nunez and Diaz – top lad!

He's like Anthony Joshua, technical and but very little flair and flamboyance.

He's nowhere like Bobby. However, he does what he's told, so that's all.

Interesting that there’s report appearing we’re targeting Steidten at Leverkusen.

Do you think Harvey could potentially fill the roll long term if he improves his strength and defensive work?

He wouldn’t need more pace, has the work rate and seems to give good at pressing and harrying - just gets brushed aside too easy and isn’t known for tasty tackles (not that Hendo was) - but he’s good enough technically and creatively.

He is still only 19 - so he still has lots of development potential.

Harvey has the potentially technically without doubt but he gets easily bypassed at the moment and that leads to overload on Trent.

I think Harvey seems more suited to RW or Gakpo’s role at the moment purely down to his physicallity and positioning for the next 2yrs. He seems a bit small and not as athletic as required for the right midfield role. It’s such a demanding abd ultra important role, I feel poor Harvey may have his progress stunted unless he plays with a 27yr old version Fabinho and Gini. I think if we can sign two capable CMs and one RCM focussed then it will unlock so many exciting possibilities for us, it would be insane. Replace Gomez with an aggressive, speedy and positional CM and we are cooking.
This is I was hoping we would sign Bellingham even with the ridiculous fees because I think he was one player who would unlock this side, maybe because I don’t watch enough footy outside of PL to see other options though.

Yeah anyone who can't see what Gakpo brings/does needs a lesson in tactics. And the way he retains possession under pressure, ghosts past players and thinks about the team above himself, bringing others into play, is very Bobby-like too. I think he's been ace !

I can't see a place for Elliott going forward (esp. since most of us see at least 2 maybe 3 midfielders incoming). He's not a forward and there won't be a place for him in midfield (and most likely not even on the bench). He's lower half of the table quality so should have no problem finding a new club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom