• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Let’s Leeds them up the garden path!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE Trent's new role, we were tore a new one in the first half against Arsenal, at least for the first 30 mins. Martinelli didn't have anybody on him.

In the second half (against Arsenal) Konate went beast mode, but I am not sure if he is really comfortable or fancy playing at right back. He did make a mistake today.

Leeds were terrible. So the jury is still out whether Trent's new role works or not. I am happy if we play him in this position for the rest of the season, we can make a better judgement then. But the case for playing Trent in midfield permanently is getting stronger.

I am kicking you out of the Loons group.
CJ has a couple of good games, so has Naby, and just like Naby is prone to injuries. Unlike Naby he isn't on massive wages. If someone offers £15-20m (for CJ) I am taking it. But I doubt Klopp will.
If we get 3 MFs, a RB, and a CB, I am not going to complain about who stays
You don't get to decide who is and who isn't a loon. That's a job for sane people.

I can see 5th and 6th in sight as we play Spurs and Villa and have a game in hand..., but 4th seems a bridge too far - and we would have to win every single game and Newcastle would need to drop 9 points. In all likelihood not happening...

Newcastle have a trickier run in than us. Just on fixtures you'd expect a 3 or 4 point swing in our direction. The goals last night really help the GD, too, which may well readjust in our favour with a 9 point swing.

But yeah, we'd basically have to win them all to actually make it likely.

Trent’s not really playing Midfield though is he?
Not in a traditional sense, it’s a very hybrid Libero on right side. We ain’t getting 4th but at least keeps the interest in the next game.

Rewatching the 4th goal.
Loved Jota’s tackle to win the ball, his energy to get up the field to support and then his awareness to pick the right pass.

Loved that both Robbo and Gakpo were pointing exactly where they wanted the ball to passed.

Mo’s trap and finish sublime.

Just a thoroughly outrageous goal that looked like pure sex in execution.

You don't get to decide who is and who isn't a loon. That's a job for sane people.
The Loons talk sense. CJ has not done anything that Naby hasn't. Now, CJ could prove me wrong I hope he does, but I am not going to call him Massiah after 2 good games

RE Trent's new role, we were tore a new one in the first half against Arsenal, at least for the first 30 mins. Martinelli didn't have anybody on him.

In the second half (against Arsenal) Konate went beast mode, but I am not sure if he is really comfortable or fancy playing at right back. He did make a mistake today.

Leeds were terrible. So the jury is still out whether Trent's new role works or not. I am happy if we play him in this position for the rest of the season, we can make a better judgement then. But the case for playing Trent in midfield permanently is getting stronger.

Why are people making it an either or situation though? I'm not convinced longterm by the inverted right back role, but it's a start for Trent, he really needs a right back behind him, Klopp is being way too conservative with this idea, but it's encouraging.

Last edited:

Here you go, mate.
With the risk of sounding like a broken record, move Trent to the right sided midfield role, currently occupied by Hendo. Bin Hendo and buy a top class right back.

Last edited:
Why is it only when we are countering that people are making runs off the ball?
When we are in possession against an established defense, we are so static and predictable.
A team full of conductors who all want to run play and get the ball to feet, no one making anything really happen off the ball.

Last edited:
With the risk of sounding like a broken record, move Trent the right sided midfield role, currently occupied by Hendo. Bin Hendo and buy a top class right back.

If this was CM or FF, i would play Trent as a pivot. A right DM if you like. Not a full RCM or a RWB per se but a hybrid of a RCM, RM, DM, RWB - all in one. Except that his average heat map would be at that pivot as a right DM.

Trent can play the Pirlo role or the Stevie role (latter years) and play it very well.

I've seen enough. But what i haven't seen yet is a very good RB and Trent Bellingham at midfield together. That will be very interesting to watch.

If this was CM or FF, i would play Trent as a pivot. A right DM if you like. Not a full RCM or a RWB per se but a hybrid of a RCM, RM, DM, RWB - all in one. Except that his average heat map would be at that pivot as a right DM.

Trent can play the Pirlo role or the Stevie role (latter years) and play it very well.

I've seen enough. But what i haven't seen yet is a very good RB and Trent Bellingham at midfield together. That will be very interesting to watch.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I guess it depends on the line up. I think Trent would be wasted playing further back as he'd have to do more direct defending than covering.
At RCM it would allow him to overlap with the right back and put in those sweet crosses.
The

Trent’s not really playing Midfield though is he?
Not in a traditional sense, it’s a very hybrid Libero on right side. We ain’t getting 4th but at least keeps the interest in the next game.

This.

The minute you put another RB in, you lose either Fabs or Hendo which surely means Trent would then have different responsibilities.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I guess it depends on the line up. I think Trent would be wasted playing further back as he'd have to do more direct defending than covering.
At RCM it would allow him to overlap with the right back and put in those sweet crosses.
The

He would be wasted entirely if he's a RCM who overlaps. That's what happens when you limit him only on the right. And it would make us predictable. Overlapping FBs are not difficult to play against. Plus you'd need a very good one too. Look at Conte's Spurs. He favours the 3-5-2 with overlapping fullbacks but you need the right kind of players to pull that system off. Not easy.

Trent has vision that nobody has on our team, except maybe Thiago, and i would play him a little more centrally, than out wide.

Against Leeds, he was given freedom to roam upfront, given the amount of possession we had, and he went more central than down the wings. That's the Stevie G position.

But we're a modern team (no thanks to Intensity Pep), and that also mean we can mix things up, which is why i think Trent is like a new tactical weapon for us now, cos he can also play out wide as an overlapping fullback or a RCM.

He would be wasted entirely if he's a RCM who overlaps. That's what happens when you limit him only on the right. And it would force us to be predictable i.e. overlap down the wings. He has vision that nobody has on our team, except maybe Thiago, and i would play him a little more centrally, than out wide.

Against Leeds, he was given freedom to roam upfront, given the amount of possession we had, and he went more central than down the wings. That's the Stevie G position.

But we're a modern team (no thanks to Intensity Pep), and that also mean we can mix things up, which is why i think Trent is like a new tactical weapon for us now, cos he can also play out wide as an overlapping fullback.
I'm talking about Hendo's role, he winds up at the corner flag even though he's not a winger.
But yeah, our attack is very fluid so he'll move around

Watch that Trent midfielder video and then the Pirlo one.

Tell me he isn't the English Pirlo.

And i can't believe some of us (incl. me) wanted rid of him earlier this season.

PS: Adding more fuel to the hype train

The

He pressed well too. So all this notion about him being just as capable of making big defensive mistakes in midfield as he would in defence, neglects the fact that he's more than capable of pressing and winning the ball on the front foot. That's totally different to what we see when he is back peddling on the flank. Part of our defensive set up in midfield was as much (if not more) about pushing teams back, as it was in defending the line between midfield and defence.

Let's hope Klopp has finally realised that this is his best hope of keeping Trent, keeping him happy, and getting the most from him. Another season at right back and I reckon he'd have plummeted beyond salvation.

Why is it only when we are countering that people are making runs off the ball?
When we are in possession against an established defense, we are so static and predictable.
A team full of conductors who all want to run play and get the ball to feet, no one making anything really happen off the ball.
No space to run into when teams set up well. That’s why you see a lot of recycled possession probing and looking to pull them out of position. Much easier in transition on the counter to run into space and drag people all over the field to create overloads and opportunities.

I think we saw Trent coming inside a lot at the start of the season but it didn’t have a positive effect on our play - but I think there are 2 important changes that are making it work now.

1. Konate is tge obvious obe - he’s by far our best option for a right sided CB who can effectively cover against opposition LW’s - Matip doesn’t have the pace and Gomez doesn’t have the positional awareness.

2. Gakpo - and this, I think, is the important one - at the start of the season we were setting up with Nunez centrally who was playing high against the opposition line, meaning Salah was staying out wide more. Gakpo is playing more like prime Bobby (positionally), so he’s staying Central but dropping deep which creates space for Salah & the Left sided forward to come inside - and it also drags a CB out of the centre if they track him.

Mo has been more involved of late - if he was in form he’d have scored a bucket load more goals than he has.

It all means we’re more fluid in attack and it means that Trent; while also being fluid in that he can stay out wide or move inside or drop deep depending on whether Robbo has pushed up on the other side; isn’t as easy to pin down and target by the opposition.

Makes it interesting as to what we need as a replacement for Gendo in that role - someone who can press and harry in the centre, technically good, retains possession but is also capable of moving out wide, overlapping and putting in good crosses.

Someone comfortable at CM & RW.

I think we saw Trent coming inside a lot at the start of the season but it didn’t have a positive effect on our play - but I think there are 2 important changes that are making it work now.

1. Konate is tge obvious obe - he’s by far our best option for a right sided CB who can effectively cover against opposition LW’s - Matip doesn’t have the pace and Gomez doesn’t have the positional awareness.

2. Gakpo - and this, I think, is the important one - at the start of the season we were setting up with Nunez centrally who was playing high against the opposition line, meaning Salah was staying out wide more. Gakpo is playing more like prime Bobby (positionally), so he’s staying Central but dropping deep which creates space for Salah & the Left sided forward to come inside - and it also drags a CB out of the centre if they track him.

Mo has been more involved of late - if he was in form he’d have scored a bucket load more goals than he has.

It all means we’re more fluid in attack and it means that Trent; while also being fluid in that he can stay out wide or move inside or drop deep depending on whether Robbo has pushed up on the other side; isn’t as easy to pin down and target by the opposition.

Makes it interesting as to what we need as a replacement for Gendo in that role - someone who can press and harry in the centre, technically good, retains possession but is also capable of moving out wide, overlapping and putting in good crosses.

Someone comfortable at CM & RW.

Like I said, the Hendo role us going to be the hardest to replace in that midfield.

Sounds like Bellingham would have been ideal.
If not, Diaby from Bayer, Otavio, Alex Scott?

Like I said, the Hendo role us going to be the hardest to replace in that midfield.

Sounds like Bellingham would have been ideal.
If not, Diaby from Bayer, Otavio, Alex Scott?

Interesting that there’s report appearing we’re targeting Steidten at Leverkusen.

Do you think Harvey could potentially fill the roll long term if he improves his strength and defensive work?

He wouldn’t need more pace, has the work rate and seems to give good at pressing and harrying - just gets brushed aside too easy and isn’t known for tasty tackles (not that Hendo was) - but he’s good enough technically and creatively.

He is still only 19 - so he still has lots of development potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom