• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Aston Villa (H) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
This new Villa team likes to dominate possession so that might work out well for us.
They set up to play on the counter against Burnley, who like to be on the front foot, and destroyed them. I think Emery will try to do something similar to us, exploit the spaces we leave in behind and in midfield - so I’d rather have us play more compact like we did by necessity with 10 men in the last couple of games; it seems to suit the current personnel more.

Last edited:
Villa played three at the back on Sunday. I remember post Chelsea Trent had said the team spent the week preparing for Chelsea expecting 433 not the 523 that Chelsea started with.
Hope we’re better prepared this time!

Some comments from Villa fans:

Grand Master
Keyblade
Posted yesterday at 07:34
Finish above Liverpool and we'll be playing CL football next season imo. Next Sunday could be a huge statement.

Edited yesterday at 07:35 by Keyblade
LondonLaxGrand Master
LondonLax
Posted yesterday at 08:09
It’s nice to be going away to Anfield and feeling like it’s an interesting test of where we are rather than dreading it and hoping get out of there while keeping the score down, like in seasons gone by.

We may well still lose on Sunday but I feel like we will go toe to toe there and make a proper game of it.

VillaChrisGrand Master
VillaChris
Posted 20 hours ago

We have never struggled home and away v Liverpool like other teams.

Since we've been up we've played them 8 times in premier league teams and they've only beaten us by more than a goal twice so the matches are generally very tight.

Ask the squad and they probably prefer playing Liverpool's style to West Ham!

I do worry with Nunez finishing like he did and Salah, Jota, Diaz all floating around at various points this is the occasion where we will really miss Ming's organisational skills as he was amazing at Anfield end of last season, easily his best performance for us in premier league.

Need to pack the midfield and try to stifle Macalister a bit I think so expecting Tielemans to start this.

Grand Master
Sulberto21
Posted 20 hours ago
The reason Liverscum beat us under Klopp is Mane. He’s no longer there and nobody in that squad does what he did for them. He was the pressing monster up front.

At Anfield Mane’s spiritual successor will be playing for us. Diaby is going to score at least two.

tinker
Posted 20 hours ago
Jota was pulling all the strings, Nunez hit some form, about time. For me Jota is who we have to stop and Kamara has to get close to him.

They set up to play on the counter against Burnley, who like to be on the front foot, and destroyed them. I think Emery will try to do something similar to us, exploit the spaces we leave in behind and in midfield - so I’d rather have us play more compact like we did by necessity with 10 men in the last couple of games; it seems to suit the current personnel more.

Diaby and Watkins were fantastic in that game. Diaby had so much space to run in.
That said, if Emery sets them up with a high line like they did against Newcastle this game has the potential to be a very high scoring game. I dont think he will mind you.

According to Echo, Curtis Jones was in team training today for the first time. Matip trained normally as well.

On the downside, Thiago and Bajcetic are still not in full training.

Wait, how the fuck can Bajcetic not be in full training still if he's been on the bench the last 2 games?

Ali
TAA-Maptip-Joe-Robbo
Szobo-Endo-Mac
Salah-Nunez-Gakpo

We have to use what we have - Konate instead of Matip if Konate is fit again.

Oh - TAA to do none of that inversion bollox, just stay at the back and defend, and go forward if its safe.

I know it's a thing to have players on the bench who aren't fully fit; but for them not even to be involved in full training and on the bench is ridiculous. Give the spot up to one of the kiddas

This could be close. I get the feeling this match isn't getting the respect it deserves
I dont want to loose this through complacency. Or bad stroke evil refereeing. Which of course will be present. They have tried twice already.

This could be close. I get the feeling this match isn't getting the respect it deserves
I dont want to loose this through complacency. Or bad stroke evil refereeing. Which of course will be present. They have tried twice already.

The end is nigh.

I'd like to see him get a loan move to a Championship team. The boy has potential.

Yeah - there has been a lot of positive noise about him for 2 years now. A loan move feels important - as there if we are going to lose Kelleher in the near future this kid could be our new understudy.

Yeah - there has been a lot of positive noise about him for 2 years now. A loan move feels important - as there if we are going to lose Kelleher in the near future this kid could be our new understudy.
Or our new first choice keeper in a few years

Surprisingly strong lineup from Emery in the return leg; an easy 3:0 win. Villa are currently one of the most in-forms teams in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom