• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mario Balotelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Milan - he felt wanted, loved etc from the get go ... Once that soured - as did his relationship to a degree with Allegri - he struggled to reproduce his early form with them ... I think he's struggling to adapt right now to what Rodgers wants - but it's still really early for him here and he can turn it around and create the positive havoc ...

All goals at Milan.

Unfortunately it's mostly penalties and a set pieces. Few points though:

He should have licence to shoot from distance
Continue to be given a chance from set-pieces.
The mostly likely way of him scoring a goal in open play is from a cross.

So far he ia missing easy chances when they have come. So i think he is just shit and probably the people at these other clubs realized this. It explains why he is just 16m and suarez was 75m despite behavour problems and long bans. People know class from shit.

What an underwhelming compilation, can't say I follow Italian football or that I've followed him there but it really seems from this video that he's regressed since his Man City days. I can't see anything positive in that video other than his powerful shots which will 90% of the time will fly to the sky.

I really hope he'll turn out well for us and be our striker for the next 10 years and put his head down but at the moment it seems Milan made a great deal at 16 mill (esp. considering all Italians teams are skint)

In terms of his skill set, I think a useful comparison would be Lewandowski from Bayern (formerly Dortmund). The 2 biggest strengths in both their games are holding up the ball under pressure and scoring from situations where balance, quick reaction and strength are the decisive factors: crosses, deflections, 2nd chances, corners. They both occasionally score with shots from distance, but are not exactly clinical finishers in 1 on 1 situations and generally need to take a lot of shots to score.

(For Lewandowski the decisive advantage comes from the karate training he received from his wife, who is a black belt – this allows him to retain perfect balance even in mid-air and while being pushed and shoved. I don't want to suggest karate lessons for Mario – this might well make him a better footballer, but on the flip side it dramatically increases the likelihood of him killing somebody with a round-house kick)

Balotelli has an advantage of being a very good free-kick taker, which is especially useful because he also earns a lot of free-kicks. Lewandowski is better at bringing others into play, but the biggest reason for his success, I think, is that he had a manager who was willing to build a team around his specific skill set, even when he was not scoring much in his first season in Dortmund. First, Klopp started using 3 creative, hard-working and quick players behind him so that a predatory striker like Lewandowski would find lots of chances to score in the creative chaos those guys generated. He also took advantage of his ability to hold up the ball by instructing his team to go for the quick counter-attack whenever possible – even when Lewandowski was fouled when holding up the ball, they would almost always do a quick free-kick and keep running forward.

I think the main thing Balotelli suffers from in his first few weeks in Liverpool is paradoxically the lack of creativity behind him. I have no problem with him being a selfish striker - after all, most good ones are. Right now the problem is not with Balotelli, but with the rest of the team, particularly the midfield players, who are still getting used to the idea that it's their job to create chances rather than wait until the genius up front creates and finishes a chance all by himself. Balotelli is not a complete striker, he will be extremely useful at the early stage of the attack (to hold up the initial ball forward until the reinforcements arrive) and as an unpredictable/predatory element near the end of the move – but the attacking move itself has to be orchestrated by others with as little direct involvement by Balotelli as possible (because his instinct will always be towards selfish/unpredictable – not what you need when you're trying to string together a passing move). That's a polar opposite of Suarez and it will take time for everybody to adjust. If Balotelli stays consistent and level-headed for long enough to give the manager a chance to integrate him into the team's structure, he will benefit from it immensely and so will the rest of the team.

Yeah Balotelli hasn't been too flash since we signed him.

But having said that majority of the squad has been playing shit.

Lallana & Henderson the only 2 that I've been impressed with lately.

Balotelli not the only one who has to lift his game.

As has been said quite a few times, he's more effective when he's got team mates running beyond him. Of course, a cynic might point out that it's not difficult for everyone to run beyond him when he's standing still, but I think it is true that his game would improve if there was much more movement around him. He needs that space to drop deeper before going back to the front again.

If and when Gerrard plays high up the pitch again Balotelli will flourish, I'm convinced he and Gerrard could partner well.

As has been said quite a few times, he's more effective when he's got team mates running beyond him. Of course, a cynic might point out that it's not difficult for everyone to run beyond him when he's standing still, but I think it is true that his game would improve if there was much more movement around him. He needs that space to drop deeper before going back to the front again.

I also think it would be nice if he moved around a little more as well. He's a very very static player in and around the box which is unusual for a striker.

Yes, there was a couple of moments at the weekend, where the ball was pinged into him with his back to goal, and he was clearly looking for support, but there was no one within ten yards of him, looking for the knockdown/flick/pass. I do think he's lazy, but I think he's tried a fair bit too.

The game where he was mostly involved and when were we looked good was against Spurs.
I think a lot will change when Studge is back.
He hasnt been getting any decent service imho. Should have had a goal vs Everton and probably a couple more but the service has been poor.

Lazy, selfish, thick. A circus where he is ringmaster and also the sad, mangy, pathetic lion sulking behind a tatty wicker chair. Can't stand him.

The game where he was mostly involved and when were we looked good was against Spurs.
I think a lot will change when Studge is back.
He hasnt been getting any decent service imho. Should have had a goal vs Everton and probably a couple more but the service has been poor.

He's got to make the runs to get the service, and of course, we have to adjust to the way he feeds from the midfield. It works both ways. There's times when he could have made better decisions, particularly with his "on-sight" shooting. When he has got in behind the defense, he's been caught offside quite alot. The midfield and Mario are both clearly still adjusting to each other. He's got to keep working for it though, or he won't achieve enough to stay.

I do agree though, I think he'll work better with Sturridge and/or Gerrard. Some of the link up play between those two and Mario, in the Spurs and then West Brom games respectively, was promising. Good players play well together. Gerrard looked like he had a new lease of life.

It's one for Rodgers to ponder.

Or give Gerrard a new hamstring

ekhum.gif

We could cryogenically freeze him - but how would you tell? He doesn't move as it is.

Roll a football directly at him. If he boots it 50 yards over the net he isn't frozen, if the ball bounces off him then........................actually this plan wont work.

Never mind.

So far he ia missing easy chances when they have come. So i think he is just shit and probably the people at these other clubs realized this. It explains why he is just 16m and suarez was 75m despite behavour problems and long bans. People know class from shit.

Missed many chances?

I can only remember one miss, the one where he hit Howard from 6 yards out, where I personally thought he did well to get the ball Down.

There was also some header People claimed he missed, but unless he had a Inspector Gadget like neck, that cross was too high.

. More extensive video. Forgive the music.

[article=Echo]Dropped, criticised, discarded. After a whirlwind week, one question is louder than any other: what now for Mario Balotelli?

The enigma surrounding the striker grows stronger. After Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers told Balotelli he needs to improve, the Italian was left out of the starting line-up in Liverpool's 2-1 win over West Bromwich Albion.

But despite a solid showing off the bench, and forming an interesting partnership with a liberated Steven Gerrard, the 24-year-old was left out of the Italy national squad by Antonio Conte.

"Mario has started a new path. It's not an easy one and I believe he must be given the necessary time to adapt at Liverpool," said the former Juventus boss.

He must be given the necessary time to adapt at Liverpool on Merseyside, too.

Rodgers' critique of Balotelli split opinion, as did his decision to drop him against West Brom, but the assertion the striker isn't scoring enough goals cannot be denied. His one-in-eight record is not what's required from an Anfield striker.

There is no doubting it has been a difficult start for Balotelli, although accusations of laziness and disinterest are greatly exaggerated. His shooting can be too slapdash and erratic, he is averaging less than one chance created per game, and his passing is infrequent and inaccurate.

It's not all his fault. He is a different type of player to Luis Suarez or Daniel Sturridge, yet the set-up of the side has hardly been adjusted. The Reds' front four, at times, has resembled Gulliver and the Lilliputians.

That doesn't change the situation Rodgers is soon to be faced with. Though Rickie Lambert didn't fully grasp his chance in Balotelli's absence, Sturridge is edging nearer to full fitness. Where does this leave Balotelli?

How do you solve a problem like Mario?

VIEW GALLERY

Play him alongside Daniel Sturridge

Balotelli has looked at his best in a front two. He came to life against Ludogorets Razgrad when Fabio Borini was brought on as support, but his best display arguably came on his debut at Tottenham.

He missed a good chance in the first two minutes, granted – but the movement from him, combined with the cross from Sturridge, fashioned the chance. Though that was the only one of his five shots to hit the target against Spurs, he looked dangerous throughout his hour on the pitch.

The movement of Sturridge will, in theory, give Balotelli respite from the close, borderline brutish, attention he's received when up front on his own. If defenders persist with winding up the Italian, then Sturridge will profit plenty, thriving on space created by others.

The diamond formation is the preferred option for Rodgers, and would help attempts to replicate the movement and vivacity of last season's attacking play – something Balotelli can be central to.

Play him up front alone with Steven Gerrard behind

Reds caught a glimpse of this tandem in the final 15 minutes of the win over West Brom, but most of the salivating stemmed from Gerrard once more operating close to the opposition's goal.

Balotelli did his bit, too. He struck an instant rapport with Gerrard, buzzing across the Baggies back line and offering himself for passes. Gerrard pinged balls towards the Italian's feet, and the Italian responded with good control, strength to hold off the defender, and intelligent touches.

Two of his three shots found the target, including an excellent near-post drive in stoppage time – created by Gerrard.

This would also be a move with the growing importance of mentality in mind. For Balotelli to settle and understand his role at Liverpool, having one of the club's best-ever players right behind him instructing him would be crucial.

It would, however, mean moving Sturridge out wide. It would be some compromise for the striker, with 21 goals last season, to make.

Play him on the left-hand side

A strange option, but one that could have surprising rewards. Balotelli was bought as a central striker, undoubtedly – but Rodgers has never been shy of reinventing players. Sterling's transformation from a touchline-hugging pace merchant into a teenage trequartista is a prime example of that.

Balotelli played on the left of a front three at Inter Milan, albeit sparingly, and Jose Mourinho entrusted him with the defensive responsibility the role entailed.

Shifting Balotelli to the left could help the Reds. Firstly, his presence would drag defenders out wide, creating space through the middle for the Reds' most creative players to operate. Similarly, by occupying the left-hand side, he would push back the opposition defender, which would help Alberto Moreno join the attack more freely.

His strength and power could also be useful - especially if receiving the ball in an attacking area and hammering a shot towards goal. Using players with similar attributes to wreck havoc out wide is proving useful at other clubs, although admittedly Gareth Bale is a phenomenon at Real Madrid. His dribbling – with just two attempts successful in the league – would have to improve, however.

Use him as an impact substitute

Squad depth is crucial – and having a striker with experience of winning titles and playing in the World Cup and Champions League would give the Liverpool bench untold riches.

Keeping him happy on the bench would be difficult, and there would be criticism for spending £16m on a second-string striker. With Borini and Lambert also in reserve, it would be quite tight for space in the dugout, too.

But if Rodgers can find no other role for him, Balotelli would have to become a quality option off the bench.

He highlighted his effectiveness when appearing later in games, fresh and prepared. Only Manchester City, with Stevan Jovetic, would boast a better striking option off the bench.[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom