• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pay him what he wants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomoWASright

If you take me seriously then you’re an idiot
That’s aged well.

I was vocal when it was reported he was asking for £350k/week. His agent acted like a cunt which I see as an extension of the player’s attitude. He offered shit sandwiches in terms of performances since feb last year. We had the excuses like he is tired or it’s in his head. Well he had a summer off. Then another six weeks off. Still shit sandwiches being served.

The highest players at a club should be the most influential. That’s why we paid Gerrard the big bucks and nobody moaned. Same for Suarez. De Bruyne is the big dog at city and has been the top earner. It’s probably Haaland now. The big difference is they all influence games. Mo influences nothing.

I’m expecting people to say “Oh it’s the midfield” “He’s not getting space made for him” and “He’s still overplayed”. I’m not buying any of that shit. You want the top money you should be driving this side on the pitch. That’s how it works in the real world. You deliver.

Today he started well and didn’t get involved again till he scored a goal where he was offside in the move! I no longer look at the game and think Salah played well. You don’t notice him for 30 minute spells.

We missed out on £100 million by not cashing in on him. Now he’s on wages nobody else will pay for 5 more years. Another example of how shit we’ve looked at recruitment over the last 3 years.

Bench him for a game or two - he needs to get back to playing for the team and not himself.

It feels like he’s trying to play his way out of bad form and failing miserably.

Maybe he’s saving himself to inflict that revenge on Real that he forget about in the CL Final.

I stand by what I said a few days ago. There would have been anarchy if we sold both Mane and Salah in the same window.

That being said I said a few years ago we should have sold one of the trio so we weren't in this position in the first place.

I stand by what I said a few days ago. There would have been anarchy if we sold both Mane and Salah in the same window.

That being said I said a few years ago we should have sold one of the trio so we weren't in this position in the first place.
I think Covid fucked that.

Most of this board were over the moon about his new contract. He's on the decline, and he has one very effective role, which doesn't truly exist anymore.

Maybe he'll be wanted in the middle east in a couple years due to his profile there. If not, we are in for some fun. It's the sort of decision making that caused arsenal to take some painful medicine for years.

This is a bollox thread, it's well known that there is a shortage of quality forwards in world football. Distracting everyone away from the issue of not signing any midfielders in the last 4 seasons other than Thiago is the real issue , plus bad tactics by Klopp in certain games where the play is repeated madness. Without Salah, we don't have many consistent goal scorers and the fact that he is greedy at times is down to his own belief, and he is entitled to try and do his magic because he has a lot of credit.

There's no credit in football in that way.

He's been mediocre for a year. I'd love for him to find a purple patch, but this is his level. He's not a very useful player on a team that isn't generating lots of opportunities, for him. He's not a very flexible player, and his productivity long outstripped his technique.

So, we've got national side Salah now with our rebuild.

Realistically only PSG were ever going to throw huge money at Salah if Mbappe went. They decided to give Mbappe an insane deal instead. We were then at the mercy of losing him on a free in 12 months time, which was a worse outcome.

For comparison Salah is on the same money as Jaydon Sancho, who has achieved the square root of fuck all in the English game and can't even get on the pitch. He's on 500k a week less than Haaland. I just don't think the contract is that bigger a deal in the scheme of things. It shouldn't be some huge burden on the club. The owners are just tight as a ducks arse, which makes us over analyse every pound spend.

Realistically only PSG were ever going to throw huge money at Salah if Mbappe went. They decided to give Mbappe an insane deal instead. We were then at the mercy of losing him on a free in 12 months time, which was a worse outcome.

For comparison Salah is on the same money as Jaydon Sancho, who has achieved the square root of fuck all in the English game and can't even get on the pitch. He's on 500k a week less than Haaland. I just don't think the contract is that bigger a deal in the scheme of things. It shouldn't be some huge burden on the club. The owners are just tight as a ducks arse, which makes us over analyse every pound spend.
What you’re saying is that we didn’t get Mbappe is because we kept Salah?

Using Sancho (or Ronaldo or Pogba) as an example is poor because by that reckoning half the league should be on half a mill a week. What I’m talking about is someone earning 50% more than any other player. That stinks when you see what he’s offering.

You really think he has credit?

More than most in the team. Targeting him for our rubbish this season is not correct. We have had issues with the midfield for over a year now, our front lot with the help of Trent mainly have been left to create something by themselves. Luckily the problems we are having were painted over last season once we got Diaz, but they were always there last season. This season the legs have gone from the midfield, and their shortcomings (as footballers) are now being highlighted. Out formula for success which Klopp has used successfully is now replicated in many teams - its a very simple formula if you get the right players in - typically a good midfield engine room to press, and if they are ballers then you can get more out of it.

These games we have lost or drawn - its not like we are not having enough of the ball to do something, we just don't have players in midfield that are skillful enough to support the front men to play through the low blocks. Some of you no doubt are saying "What about Thiago - you fucking moron" - well as his former manager said - Thiago is the guy who is supposed to assist the the assister that leads to the goal. Fuck me we have yet to beat a bottom of the league team this season right ? I am talking Leeds/Nots Forrest/Wolves. That is some fucking record for us.

The one moment that sticks out for me during the game today is when Gakpo is completely free on the other side of the pitch, even having time to wave his hands at Salah and the fucker still doesn't pass him the ball.

The one moment that sticks out for me during the game today is when Gakpo is completely free on the other side of the pitch, even having time to wave his hands at Salah and the fucker still doesn't pass him the ball.
But Mané.

Yet to see him taken on a fullback and be successful this season. His ineffectiveness is exacerbated when Klopp plays him wide right.

Most of this board were over the moon about his new contract. He's on the decline, and he has one very effective role, which doesn't truly exist anymore.

Maybe he'll be wanted in the middle east in a couple years due to his profile there. If not, we are in for some fun. It's the sort of decision making that caused arsenal to take some painful medicine for years.

I feel like this might be the saving grace should salah become a burden, some club in the Middle East will surely match his wages. He won’t be our Ozil.

But Mané.
Exactly...
Well just to be clear he would have most likely passed the ball.
I mean he didn't get pissed off at Salah for no reason and I got the feeling he felt the club and staff were catering more to Salah than him.

Exactly...
Well just to be clear he would have most likely passed the ball.
I mean he didn't get pissed off at Salah for no reason and I got the feeling he felt the club and staff were catering more to Salah than him.
The club treated him as they should’ve treated Salah. Soz lad, diminishing returns, no mega contract and on your way.

I wasn’t hundred percent sure about giving him a new deal but who were we going to sell him to?

Barca are broke, Real don’t make these kind of deals any more, PSG have Messi, the Italian teams are shit/broke, which basically leaves Bayern. And they tend to prioritize youth / value also.

The good news is that he can still contribute. He’s not a completely busted flush like Ozil ended up being.

I read that Henderson’s new deal made him one of our highest earners. If true, that’s worse.

Using Sancho (or Ronaldo or Pogba) as an example is poor because by that reckoning half the league should be on half a mill a week. What I’m talking about is someone earning 50% more than any other player. That stinks when you see what he’s offering.

Ya what the fuck is offering except the most goals by a mile in the team, the most assists in the team.

You know those two things that are the hardest thing to do in football?

No, because Real didn't land Mbappe. Had they done so PSG may well have gone after Salah as an ego-boost to their stupid regime. It was reported they were interested at the time. Beyond that was little reported interest from Spain or Italy from memory. And yes you can argue they are extreme examples but they're both high profile players attacking players at rival clubs, none of whom who would blink twice at paying Salah his current wage.

I'm not defending Salahs recent performances this season, and last. He's not been at it for a good while, but him and his agent did force the clubs position into a shit position. Say no club came in for Salah last summer that he was prepared to sign with, the threat of letting Mane and Salah leave in the space of 12 months for a combined £35m would not have gone done well either.

Firmino should’ve gone in 2019, Sadio in 2021 and Salah 2022.
And then last season wouldn't have happened.

All three? That is all in hindsight even if you suggested one at the time. Mo was top or nearly top scorer in the PL season after season, you don't sell a player at that level if you want to be challenging.

If we had have done you'd all be claiming we are a selling club with no ambition and that you wouldn't catch the likes of City, Real, Barca, Bayern doing that.

more scapegoating; Fix the MF, then everything else will fall into place.
Thiago is our best MF.
Fab is at the moment a weak link.
Kieta is short weak arse who gets muscled off the ball.
Harvey is an attacking MF and not a CM. Seeing him near the centre circle trying to be gini is painful.

Because our MF is so weak we need more bodies in MF.

For a start when evaluating his cost start with his transfer fee, £37m and compare that to the market now if you wanted to cash in and replace him. Compare his salary (£300k pw perhaps, we don't know) to those of his only peers, Kane & Haaland. Compare his salary, IF it's as much as £300k pw or £15.6m per year, to his teammates and he's maybe £150k pw ahead maximum, so £8m per year more than we'd have to pay someone a step down from the very top level. Over 5 years that is just £40m, peanuts in today's market.

Selling him to bring in an inferior younger model makes no sense at all, it didn't at the time of renewal and still doesn't now, regardless of current form. Funny how we disregard the 'form is temporary' whenever it suits our rhetoric. Where is the goal return drop off? There is none.

2022/23 (less than halfway through the season, all comps) : 17 goals and on for maybe his best season in the last five (goalscoring).
2021/22 : 31 goals
2020/21 : 31 goals

Ya what the fuck is offering except the most goals by a mile in the team, the most assists in the team.

You know those two things that are the hardest thing to do in football?

Is he contributing elsewhere on the pitch? Are you happy with his performances? What mark would you give him last night? If he was doing this for another club would you buy him?

And then last season wouldn't have happened.

All three? That is all in hindsight even if you suggested one at the time. Mo was top or nearly top scorer in the PL season after season, you don't sell a player at that level if you want to be challenging.

If we had have done you'd all be claiming we are a selling club with no ambition and that you wouldn't catch the likes of City, Real, Barca, Bayern doing that.

Why wouldn’t it? We’d have got top dollar for Firmino and Mané during those windows. The very best sides sell talent and replace them. Ferguson did it over and over. That’s how they had sustained success.

For a start when evaluating his cost start with his transfer fee, £37m and compare that to the market now if you wanted to cash in and replace him. Compare his salary (£300k pw perhaps, we don't know) to those of his only peers, Kane & Haaland. Compare his salary, IF it's as much as £300k pw or £15.6m per year, to his teammates and he's maybe £150k pw ahead maximum, so £8m per year more than we'd have to pay someone a step down from the very top level. Over 5 years that is just £40m, peanuts in today's market.

Selling him to bring in an inferior younger model makes no sense at all, it didn't at the time of renewal and still doesn't now, regardless of current form. Funny how we disregard the 'form is temporary' whenever it suits our rhetoric. Where is the goal return drop off? There is none.

2022/23 (less than halfway through the season, all comps) : 17 goals and on for maybe his best season in the last five (goalscoring).
2021/22 : 31 goals
2020/21 : 31 goals

Form is temporary. This standard of performance is long term. It’s been a year. He’s not all of a sudden going to burst into life back to the 25/26/27 year old Salah. He’s going to get worse. Then we are left with £15 million a year 32/33/34 year old Salah who will be worse than this version.

Had we replaced him we may have had a replacement that hit the ground running like Mo did when he signed. We may have spread that round the team to make us more functional as a whole. As we did when we’ve made other big sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom