• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tactical adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmishra

Very Well-Known
Wanted to have a thread to discuss possible tactical adjustments. Hopefully this doesn’t simply turn into a ‘drop Trent’ or ‘get players in who care’ thread, because frankly those are totally unhelpful and also meaningless. The idea that this set of players under Klopp don’t care is complete nonsense and shouldn’t even remotely be entertained.

It’s obviously worth discussing the recruitment policy and FSG’s approach to the squad transition, but that’s been done enough already and barring a few posters, I think there’s general consensus that FSG are tight bastards. So let’s not bring that here either.

On to tactics, my first few broad thoughts:

1. There is absolutely no way that Klopp suddenly abandons his entire philosophy and moves away from the high-line or attacking fullbacks. That’s simply not the way Klopp operates and any sort of suggestion to ‘temporarily’ move the line back 10 yards or play Gomez or Matip at right back are IMO unrealistic and unhelpful. It’s not going to happen. This is a manager who played a high-line with Fabinho and Henderson as CBs.
  2. Worth acknowledging the biggest issue at the moment is extreme squad fatigue and injuries. 63 games last year with the season ending in late May, and pre-season beginning just 5 weeks after has been terrible schedule-wise for us. The multitude of soft-tissue injuries are testament to that, and I don’t think it’s going to really get hugely better because as things stand we’re over-utilising certain players (Fabinho, Elliot and Trent) who are next in line to get injured. We have to get through this first half of the season. I think the second half will be better with the World Cup giving us a big breather.
  3. That being the case, the key has to be to get a stable 15-16 man rotation going, with 6 midfielders who can carry the pressing workload to enable the highline. We can assume Ox and Keita are out for the first half of the season, and it looks like Jones might go that way as well. I’m absolutely adamant that Milner needs to be OUT of this rotation as well. He doesn’t have the legs at all anymore, and Milner’s other problem (which he always had) was that he has a tendency to drift out wide since his best attributes are his running and crossing. He was never great at holding position or keeping possession or at press resistance. He now not only abandons his position, but is also two steps off the pace. He simply cannot be played anymore. I think we’ve lost every match he’s started this season? The 6 man midfield rotation has to be Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson, Elliott, Arthur and well Jones if he’s fit. If Jones isn’t fit, then frankly I’d even consider recalling Morton if possible or just go with Bajcetic. Either are preferable to Milner at this point.
  4. Elliott’s position in my view is causing a major imbalance to the side. This is a bit controversial given that he’s been our best midfielder this year, but I do not think the high-line offers the luxury of a midfielder who drifts wide and doesn’t dominate the RCM space. Maybe this will work when Konate returns to cover the space behind and when Fabinho-Thiago are fully fit, but at the moment this is an issue. Especially as this is conjunction with Salah being pushed out wide, and Trent playing as an underlapping midfielder. This needs to change. Part of it I think is Klopp protecting Elliott, because the traditional CM role is physically demanding, requires you to be physically strong, win duels and press monstrously while also keeping possession. But the fact of the matter is that Elliott has responded well to everything we’ve asked him to do, and I have confidence that he can play as a pure CM. If the likes of Gavi are acing it aged 17, no reason to believe Elliott can as well.
  5. Once the three CMs are more compact, push Trent and Robbo back to their natural wider positions. The other controversial change I’m going to suggest is dropping Diaz and playing Darwin at LWF. Diaz has been our best individual player, but there’s a major systemic problem with our attack and Diaz is part of it in that he gets pushed out wide easily because of his lack of strength. That limits our ability to hold the ball up in attack and just makes it more difficult for him to be a goal threat (he almost always needs to cut in over large distances and then try to curl it in).
  6. For Darwin to be successful, we NEED TO USE HIS RUNNING POWER. Play him in that Mane style narrow LWF role and bring Salah back also to his narrow RWF role with Jota playing centrally. There is a way to use Darwin as a no. 9, but I don’t think it exists in our style of play. Darwin at LWF isn’t exactly new for him – it’s exactly how he played at Benfica with Yaremchuk at no. 9.
  7. This achieves a few things-
    1. Jota is by far our best no. 9 and needs to play there.
    2. Salah is infinitely better when narrower and closer to goal than isolated on the flank.
    3. Darwin gets to use his running power, is far more physical than Diaz and doesn’t have the pressure to be a central pivot (which isn’t his strength at all since his first touch isn’t elite).
    4. It gives Trent and Robbo (from their natural wide areas) two major aerial threats in Jota and Darwin attacking their crosses
    5. It allows us to consistently use Diaz as a bench threat, which would be seriously amazing. Diaz on at 60 mins against tired defences would be fantastic
  8. Groom Carvalho for the false 9 role. I love Firmino and I still think he has something to offer us this year, but he cannot be starting more than one game a week. I would try Carvalho across the front 3 off the bench, but I’m very interested in seeing him play centrally. I don’t think he has any business playing in midfield, and I hope we don’t try him again. He’s too weak to do any of the things our midfielders need to do.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Great post. Agree with most of this, with the midfield trio balance and "too much space between the lines cohesion" thing being the main issue.

What I don't agree with it the Diaz issue, and that Darwin should play there.
But there has to be a way to play Darwin as a nine in our set up, otherwise, why did we sign him?
Question is, does playing him as a nice mean we have to invert the midfield and have two sitting, and one at the apex?
However, I assume that ruins a central part of the pressing patterns we so depend on?

Would be great if we could sit back and counter, as we have the players for it. Proper Mourinho football, while conserving energy and controlling the games, but I doubt it will happen as you say initially. Shame, as we really need a rest and some easier ways to get a result now, while feeling in control of play. We also are easy to suss out, even if hard to beat usually in our standard set up - we play one way.

That’s simply not the way Klopp operates

Watch early Dortmund ... how did they play?
Klopp has tweaked things based on his squad to great success.
I think the team needs to adjust slightly to better protect our backline - because right now, teams are doing the exact same thing week after week, and we're letting htem.

I also think we need to figure out how to play without Thiago (no idea how) - because the team is overly reliant on his style (we were much better with him yesterday in every facet of the game, granted it was already over)

Great post though @dmishra

Wanted to have a thread to discuss possible tactical adjustments. Hopefully this doesn’t simply turn into a ‘drop Trent’ or ‘get players in who care’ thread, because frankly those are totally unhelpful and also meaningless. The idea that this set of players under Klopp don’t care is complete nonsense and shouldn’t even remotely be entertained.

It’s obviously worth discussing the recruitment policy and FSG’s approach to the squad transition, but that’s been done enough already and barring a few posters, I think there’s general consensus that FSG are tight bastards. So let’s not bring that here either.

1. There is absolutely no way that Klopp suddenly abandons his entire philosophy and moves away from the high-line or attacking fullbacks. That’s simply not the way Klopp operates and any sort of suggestion to ‘temporarily’ move the line back 10 yards or play Gomez or Matip at right back are IMO unrealistic and unhelpful. It’s not going to happen. This is a manager who played a high-line with Fabinho and Henderson as CBs.
  2. Worth acknowledging the biggest issue at the moment is extreme squad fatigue and injuries. 63 games last year with the season ending in late May, and pre-season beginning just 5 weeks after has been terrible schedule-wise for us. The multitude of soft-tissue injuries are testament to that, and I don’t think it’s going to really get hugely better because as things stand we’re over-utilising certain players (Fabinho, Elliot and Trent) who are next in line to get injured. We have to get through this first half of the season. I think the second half will be better with the World Cup giving us a big breather.
  3. That being the case, the key has to be to get a stable 15-16 man rotation going, with 6 midfielders who can carry the pressing workload to enable the highline. We can assume Ox and Keita are out for the first half of the season, and it looks like Jones might go that way as well. I’m absolutely adamant that Milner needs to be OUT of this rotation as well. He doesn’t have the legs at all anymore, and Milner’s other problem (which he always had) was that he has a tendency to drift out wide since his best attributes are his running and crossing. He was never great at holding position or keeping possession or at press resistance. He now not only abandons his position, but is also two steps off the pace. He simply cannot be played anymore. I think we’ve lost every match he’s started this season? The 6 man midfield rotation has to be Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson, Elliott, Arthur and well Jones if he’s fit. If Jones isn’t fit, then frankly I’d even consider recalling Morton if possible or just go with Bajcetic. Either are preferable to Milner at this point.
  4. Elliott’s position in my view is causing a major imbalance to the side. This is a bit controversial given that he’s been our best midfielder this year, but I do not think the high-line offers the luxury of a midfielder who drifts wide and doesn’t dominate the RCM space. Maybe this will work when Konate returns to cover the space behind and when Fabinho-Thiago are fully fit, but at the moment this is an issue. Especially as this is conjunction with Salah being pushed out wide, and Trent playing as an underlapping midfielder. This needs to change. Part of it I think is Klopp protecting Elliott, because the traditional CM role is physically demanding, requires you to be physically strong, win duels and press monstrously while also keeping possession. But the fact of the matter is that Elliott has responded well to everything we’ve asked him to do, and I have confidence that he can play as a pure CM. If the likes of Gavi are acing it aged 17, no reason to believe Elliott can as well.
  5. Once the three CMs are more compact, push Trent and Robbo back to their natural wider positions. The other controversial change I’m going to suggest is dropping Diaz and playing Darwin at LWF. Diaz has been our best individual player, but there’s a major systemic problem with our attack and Diaz is part of it in that he gets pushed out wide easily because of his lack of strength. That limits our ability to hold the ball up in attack and just makes it more difficult for him to be a goal threat (he almost always needs to cut in over large distances and then try to curl it in).
  6. For Darwin to be successful, we NEED TO USE HIS RUNNING POWER. Play him in that Mane style narrow LWF role and bring Salah back also to his narrow RWF role with Jota playing centrally. There is a way to use Darwin as a no. 9, but I don’t think it exists in our style of play. Darwin at LWF isn’t exactly new for him – it’s exactly how he played at Benfica with Yaremchuk at no. 9.
    2. Salah is infinitely better when narrower and closer to goal than isolated on the flank.
    3. Darwin gets to use his running power, is far more physical than Diaz and doesn’t have the pressure to be a central pivot (which isn’t his strength at all since his first touch isn’t elite).
    4. It gives Trent and Robbo (from their natural wide areas) two major aerial threats in Jota and Darwin attacking their crosses
    5. It allows us to consistently use Diaz as a bench threat, which would be seriously amazing. Diaz on at 60 mins against tired defences would be fantastic
  8. Groom Carvalho for the false 9 role. I love Firmino and I still think he has something to offer us this year, but he cannot be starting more than one game a week. I would try Carvalho across the front 3 off the bench, but I’m very interested in seeing him play centrally. I don’t think he has any business playing in midfield, and I hope we don’t try him again. He’s too weak to do any of the things our midfielders need to do.

Any other ideas?

Interesting rationale behind dropping Diaz, but just can’t see it happening. He’s still one of our most threatening players for me, and threat is something we’re seriously short on. Along with passion, fight and the right mentality. The others should look to him and take a leaf out of his book. Having said all that, let’s see what happens with Nunez. Maybe he will end up on the left after all.

Given the issues we have at the moment I think it may make sense to go to a 4-2-3-1 formation. The double pivot of Fabinho/Thiago sitting in front of the back 4 gives us a bit more cover and stops the midfield being pulled out of position so easily while putting Elliot or Fabinho in an advanced midfield role that plays to their strengths rather than their weakness. Jota through the middle because for me he's a much better finisher than Nunez.

- drop Nunez for Jota, let Nunez impact from the subs bench for a bit (I think we’ve made a mistake signing him).
- get more compact, we’re too open, so get back to basics and tighten things up.
- get the FB’s doing more of the overlapping runs and force the wide forwards to operate inside and closer to Jota. This might mean giving Kostas an extended run as first choice LB.
- now Thiago’s back, have some consistency in the midfield

I hear the point about this season being a reduced break - but is it really that reduced given the season always finishes end of May - we’ve just started 1 week earlier than usual - it shouldn’t be a huge issue, certainly not worse than the pre-season after a World Cup / Euros.

Personally, I think the change to our patterns of play to incorporate Nunez and to combat the seemingly increasing amount of teams siting deep and employing a low block has just fucked us up, for some reason.

1. The other controversial change I’m going to suggest is dropping Diaz and playing Darwin at LWF. Diaz has been our best individual player, but there’s a major systemic problem with our attack and Diaz is part of it in that he gets pushed out wide easily because of his lack of strength. That limits our ability to hold the ball up in attack and just makes it more difficult for him to be a goal threat (he almost always needs to cut in over large distances and then try to curl it in).
  2. For Darwin to be successful, we NEED TO USE HIS RUNNING POWER. Play him in that Mane style narrow LWF role and bring Salah back also to his narrow RWF role with Jota playing centrally. There is a way to use Darwin as a no. 9, but I don’t think it exists in our style of play. Darwin at LWF isn’t exactly new for him – it’s exactly how he played at Benfica with Yaremchuk at no. 9.
Love the vast majority of your post but I'm not sold on the quotes above. Diaz has 4 goals in 7 matches so far this season from wide left and it's often mentioned how much he comes inside and even across the pitch. there is no way I'd personally even consider benching him.
I tried to find stats showing Diaz' average position vs Mane's but was unable to find them so this is a call to @King Binny - do you have them mate?

I also found these stats interesting though :

There is no publicly available data which shows how many times Díaz received a pass after making a run off the ball. There is reason to believe it hasn’t occurred too often though. Per FBRef, only 68.3 per cent of the passes which have targeted the former Porto man have reached him.
While this sounds bad, it’s ‘only’ the 30th worst figure in the Premier League. It’s understandably a list dominated by attacking players, with Díaz’s teammates Mohamed Salah (55.3 per cent) and Darwin Núñez (31.8) having worse numbers. Liverpool players successfully found Díaz with 76.7 per cent of their attempted passes in the league and Europe last season.

Ditto Nunez, I'm sure he could play LWF as he has experience there but the issue is that wouldn't make much difference because we are rarely fast on the break any more - including with Mo and Diaz - our build ups are far too slow and we play safe far too often. Also Nunez's lack of technical and dribbling skills won't help us in that regard. As is the fact that over 50% of his goals in Portugal came from inside the 6 yd box (a stat I believe - without checking - he's replicating here), which is where I believe we need to utilise him to get the best out of him.

I hear the point about this season being a reduced break - but is it really that reduced given the season always finishes end of May - we’ve just started 1 week earlier than usual - it shouldn’t be a huge issue, certainly not worse than the pre-season after a World Cup / Euros.
Likely the point here is 5 years at our peak and last season we played 63 games of high intensity right through to the very last game of the season anywhere. Even 'just' another week is going to have some impact, had we not been in the CL final that would have been 2 more weeks.

Any other ideas?
Great Post and agree with all points.

This is a great post @dmishra

One thing I also think it playing with the balance is just how left footed Elliot is. He & Mo have great interplay but the both rely on cutting inside to cross or to try and do something miraculous with the outside of their foot. Part of me wonders whether Elliot needs to be in LCM to give that more natural option to hit a first time cross?

This is a great post @dmishra

One thing I also think it playing with the balance is just how left footed Elliot is. He & Mo have great interplay but the both rely on cutting inside to cross or to try and do something miraculous with the outside of their foot. Part of me wonders whether Elliot needs to be in LCM to give that more natural option to hit a first time cross?

This is made worse by the fact that Trent doesn't play as a right back anymore. When he does go forward it's to stroll around the midfield like Riquelme. So we have nobody stretching play on the right.

No way on earth would I drop Diaz for Nunez on the left. Diaz has been by far our most effective attacker and Nunez is being outscored by Firmino

I'd go back to the 4-2-2-2 as we've played a few times earlier.

Alisson

Someone Matip Virgil Robbo
Fabinho Thiago
Elliott Diaz
Salah Jota

4-4-2/4-2-2-2

If Jota isnt ready to start then Salah and Nunez. We need both of them to get going in terms of goals.

Alisson

Fabinho Thiago
Elliott Diaz
Salah Jota

4-4-2/4-2-2-2

If Jota isnt ready to start then Salah and Nunez. We need both of them to get going in terms of goals.
I could get on board with that. Overall objective has to be narrower wing-forwards, wider full-backs and a more compact midfield leaving less open spaces between the lines.

Great Post.

Have to say that Diaz does not deserve dropping, and nor should he be. He is one of the few players giving their all and impacting games. We need to be tweaking our game to present him with more goal scoring opportunities.

The success of Nunez will depend on his ability to adapt to the 9 role. I don't believe for a second he was signed for his running power from LWF, so he just needs to be given time and patience.

Everything needs sorting out behind them before we start chopping and changing the attack. They'll always be dangerous enough, just not when we're always leaking the first goal, followed by plenty more.

I actually wouldn't be against Trent being moved roles (given he either doesn't like his old role as a marauding RB, or can't do it without Hendo covering like he used to) as he is still one of our most technically AND tactically gifted players. But his current execution of the role is a broken part of our system.

4-2-3-1 seems the only viable option for me

Alli
Defence
Fab Thiago
Salah Eliott Diaz
Nunez/Jota
That's the easiest quick fix for me too.

And STOP with this inverted FB nonsense where Trent comes inside looking to play like Pirlo.

Either stay wide Trent and do your job defensively or compete with Thiago as a deep-lying playmaker or Salah as the goalscoring/creative right winger. Personally (barring injury which is possible with Thiago), I don't fancy his chances in either position.

Alisson

Fabinho Thiago
Elliott Diaz
Salah Jota

4-4-2/4-2-2-2

When did we play a 4-2-2-2 before ?

Lol, 6CM's gone full fantasy football mode.

To play a 4-2-2-2 effectively, you'd need two CFs who are constantly pressing and tracking back. Where would that leave Salah then ? I would definitely not play him as one of the CFs, unless if he's paired maybe with Nunez, a bit like how Heskey-Owen used to play together, but Nunez's not the type of forward who plays with his back against the goal.

Salah would suit the AM position instead, but who would partner him there ? You'd have to pick either Diaz or Elliot, assuming Nunez and Jota play the two CF roles. Diaz has incredible stamina and can track back, so maybe Diaz and Salah as the two AMs, but then again, we've never played and trained for this formation before, and there's too little time to pull it off, especially against a well-drilled Wolves side, who boasts one of the tightest defense in Europe this season.

Also, the wingbacks in this system have to work doubly hard to cover the lack of width. With the form Trent's in, we'd be annihilated.

When did we play a 4-2-2-2 before ?

Lol, 6CM's gone full fantasy football mode.

To play a 4-2-2-2 effectively, you'd need two CFs who are constantly pressing and tracking back. Where would that leave Salah then ? I would definitely not play him as one of the CFs, unless if he's paired maybe with Nunez, a bit like how Heskey-Owen used to play together, but Nunez's not the type of forward who plays with his back against the goal.

Salah would suit the AM position instead, but who would partner him there ? You'd have to pick either Diaz or Elliot, assuming Nunez and Jota play the two CF roles. Diaz has incredible stamina and can track back, so maybe Diaz and Salah as the two AMs, but then again, we've never played and trained for this formation before, and there's too little time to pull it off, especially against a well-drilled Wolves side, who boasts one of the tightest defense in Europe this season.

Also, the wingbacks in this system have to work doubly hard to cover the lack of width. With the form Trent's in, we'd be annihilated.

We played it in 2018 with Salah and Firmino upfront. Read about it here if you like:

https://theredmentv.com/tactical-explanation-of-klopps-new-4-4-2-4-2-2-2-system/

Hmm interesting. But to reiterate my point again, to pull this system off, you'd need hardworking fullbacks bombing down the flanks up and down for the full 90.

Trent's been jogging for about 80 mins every game, and only runs back to chase after players who's already beaten him at the high line.

I like Jota but I'm not sure why people are championing him for the 9 given the back end of last season, and his sub appearances so far this season???

I like Jota but I'm not sure why people are championing him for the 9 given the back end of last season, and his sub appearances so far this season???

Same here, he’s taken the same pills as Salah.
His touch has been terrible for 6 months…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom