• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Are we spending 150m on Bellingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard quite a few people who know football opine that Amrabat's World Cup performance is just a flash in the pan, and he's nowhere as good normally.

I've had my doubts too, but that's Belgium, and Croatia, Spain and Portugal that he's destroyed now. If they beat France, NATO will surely have to get involved?

I mean, he's a defensive midfielder so what you see is close to what you'll get? It's not like he's dropping solo goals that he'll never repeat.

Is that your way of saying between £35m-£50m or you don't know?

Me: Which is cheaper ? A sack of rice or half a sack of rice ?

ChatGPT: It is difficult to determine which would be cheaper without knowing the price of a full sack of rice and the price of a half sack of rice. In general, it is likely that a half sack of rice would be cheaper than a full sack of rice, since it contains less rice. However, the price of a half sack of rice may not be exactly half the price of a full sack of rice due to factors such as packaging, storage, and transportation costs. It is best to check the prices of both a full and a half sack of rice at your local grocery store or market to determine which is the more economical option.

I've heard quite a few people who know football opine that Amrabat's World Cup performance is just a flash in the pan, and he's nowhere as good normally.

I've had my doubts too, but that's Belgium, and Croatia, Spain and Portugal that he's destroyed now. If they beat France, NATO will surely have to get involved?

I mean, he's a defensive midfielder so what you see is close to what you'll get? It's not like he's dropping solo goals that he'll never repeat.
I can only think that the differences in opinion are based on "what he's happy to do for his country' vs the effort he puts in in club games. Yeah I know not scientific or even logical but that's all I've got !

I haven't got a notion, but I do spot the logic flaw when you say the fact that Rice & Henderson play in the same midfield shows that they are different & then go on to say that Bellingham is the Henderson replacement, when they have also been playing in the same midfield. I am quite sure you are correct, just your logic is inconsistent.

Well - I think that Bellingham could fill either the current Thiago role or the Hendo role - he’s more of a powerful box-to-box type than a creative passing playmaker type - so ultimately he’s a Hendo replacement.

Rice, for me, like Fabinho, wouldn’t occupy either of the 2 more attacking midfield positions.

Cost england that first goal
They were three of them— Walker, Rice and Bellingham— sucked in to stop Mbappé. When the ball came to Tchouameni , Bellingham and Rice were momentarily out of Lusitania and that was enough.

I’m not not buying to the “Walker bested Mbappé …” narrative as it was regularly taking two or three of them to do that leaving Grieszman to have man of the match performance.

They were three of them— Walker, Rice and Bellingham— sucked in to stop Mbappé. When the ball came to Tchouameni , Bellingham and Rice were momentarily out of Lusitania and that was enough.

I’m not not buying to the “Walker bested Mbappé …” narrative as it was regularly taking two or three of them to do that leaving Grieszman to have man of the match performance.
Actually I think that's the 5th time Walker has 'bested' M'Bappe, including all the PSG vs City matches. It wasn't a one off, he certainly knows how to play him.

It’s a team sport— nullifying Mbappé by doubling up on him simply means you leave other areas of the pitch exposed. Make no mistake, this is an ordinary French side with below standard players in certain positions— Upamecano is championship level— but it took the opportunities offered to it by the strategy of focusing on Mbappé.

I recall a few years ago Benitez nullifying Messi by deploying a right footed left back with compromising the rest of the pitch.

Last edited:
It’s a team sport— nullifying Mbappé by doubling up on him simply means you leave other areas of the pitch exposed. Make no mistake, this is an ordinary French side with below standard players in certain positions— Upamecano is championship level— but it took the opportunities offered to it by the strategy of focusing on Mbappé.
Sorry can't agree in any form. Of course it's a team game and in every match you have multiple defenders on attackers, it's rarely 1 vs 1, use Mo, Mane or Diaz as examples. That said one player is more responsible than others, and in this case it was Walker and he did a superb job nullifying M'Bappe.

The fact is M'Bappe had scored 5 of their 9 goals before the ¼ s. If both Walker and M'Bappe were effectively out of the game or at least contributing very little, that's well worth it and that is indeed how it played out, even if in the end the result still went against us.

No team containing M'Bappe, Giroud, Griezmann,Tchouameni, Rabiot, Dembele and Giroud can be described as ordinary !

Last edited:

I recall a few years ago Benitez nullifying Messi by deploying a right footed left back with compromising the rest of the pitch.

On a separate note if Upamecano is championship level what does that say about Kobate?

On a separate note if Upamecano is championship level what does that say about Kobate?

Not sure about Kobate. But regarding Konate, I'm guessing its saying that we bought the right player from Leipzig (as was the case and discussions when Bayern got Upamecano).
Whether or not he's playing for France instead of him is on Deschamps, not the ability of the player.

Not sold on the Morrocon midfielder either.
I haven’t seen enough of him but he seems a competent tournament midfielder, if he is the only one we can afford then fine but rather we focus on the ones we have been linked with already which I understand is a few.

The biggest issue with Bellingham for me, aside from the fact his price seems unrealistic, is that he's clearly a career project type player. By that I mean he and his advisers/family have mapped out how they want his career to go. There's a reason he went to Dortmund at 17 when every club in Europe wanted him. Much like Haaland and Mbappe he's going to move as and when he sees fit to maximize his career/earnings. My fear is we'd pay an astronomical fee and he'd be off to Madrid or PSG within 3 years.

The biggest issue with Bellingham for me, aside from the fact his price seems unrealistic, is that he's clearly a career project type player. By that I mean he and his advisers/family have mapped out how they want his career to go. There's a reason he went to Dortmund at 17 when every club in Europe wanted him. Much like Haaland and Mbappe he's going to move as and when he sees fit to maximize his career/earnings. My fear is we'd pay an astronomical fee and he'd be off to Madrid or PSG within 3 years.

That is not how we roll. We probably will let him leave for free at the end of his contract to Madrid or PSG in 5 years.

If he leaves in 3 years we will not be losing any money on him, and we’d have had one of the best young midfielders around during that period to help us win trophies.
And if he’s got PSG as a part of his elaborate career map at 22, god help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom