• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kelly our new CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Once I’m fit," he added, "if I just keep working and stay injury free, my game can progress really well and I can be dangerous as a fullback and at centre back."
- Martin Kelly

I think he should be given a chance there. The lad is built like a CB, strong in the air, quick, a good tackler.
I've seen him play there for the reserves and he doesn't look out of place.

Kelly's not strong in the air at all - it's his main weakness imo.

There's a big difference between reserve football and the Premier League.

There's still too questions marks over Kelly's fitness/injury problems as well as his ability to perform consistently over the course of a season to place much faith in him being a top centre back for us. Only time will tell.

How is Kelly weak in the air? He's always seems quite dominant defending corners

How is Kelly weak in the air? He's always seems quite dominant defending corners

He gets beaten in the air too easily. For such a big lad he isn't physical enough. Hopefully it'll all come but as yet, we haven't seen it.

It ceases to be funny once you find the answer. Our centrebacks play out wide as fullbacks. Or more accurately like a pair of fanny flaps either side of a gaping hole.

A hole which is sporadically filled by Reina and Lucas. That's the answer. Our centrebacks are Reina and Lucas because Rodgers thinks that makes sense.

This is shit.

Post some sciency stuff.

So less evidence, more opinion

Yeah it's an opinion but i genuinely think Kelly has a long way to go before people consider him to be 'our new centre back'

It's a vital position on the pitch and i'm not seeing the comparisons with Carra either - early on in Carra's career you could see an aggressive defender who was intelligent reader of the game that you could envisage making a good centre back.
I don't see that with Kelly yet and i'm not going to pretend i do.

Er... he's always been a centreback. Just plays full back in the 1st team. Just like Carra he will move into his favoured position when ready.

It'd be nice if he could prove himself as being half-decent at full-back before we dish out a role for him in a more demanding position.

So far he's been hype and injuries.

It'd be nice if he could prove himself as being half-decent at full-back before we dish out a role for him in a more demanding position.

Amazing isn't it? He played centre back when he played for the reserves about a decade ago and it's earned him more mythology than Daniel Agger. It's amazing what consistent spells on the sidelines does for ones hype.

His performances at rb has been way better than half-decent, to me anyway. Just to get a baring on your standards for fullbacks.. Do you still think Enrique is shite?

Kelly, imo, could become a top Premiership defender. He's shown enough promise to be counted on if he can get over his injuries. Very talented lad.

I'd be perfectly fine with the following CB line-up next Season: Big, strong, powerhouse defender, Agger, Wisdom and Kelly.

The whole discussion is surely too premature to warrant a long meandering thread. You won't be able to tell for quite a while yet.

He also thinks Tony Pulis is the best pound for pound manager in the league despite being behind 4 teams who have spent less money.
I'm baffled.

He also thinks Tony Pulis is the best pound for pound manager in the league despite being behind 4 teams who have spent less money.
I'm baffled.

I - and I know this is anathema to SCM logic based thinking - wasn't judging that choice on a 'what happened last week' criteria. He brought a shite team with no money into the league and has kept them there without a hint of relegation for 5 years. He's bought well, built their home stadium into a fortress, not conformed to traditional tactics or strategy, got them to the FA Cup Final and into Europe.

Let's hear your argument.

I - and I know this is anathema to SCM logic based thinking - wasn't judging that choice on a 'what happened last week' criteria. He brought a shite team with no money into the league and has kept them there without a hint of relegation for 5 years. He's bought well, built their home stadium into a fortress, not conformed to traditional tactics or strategy, got them to the FA Cup Final and into Europe.

Let's hear your argument.
18 million on Kenwyne Jones and Peter Crouch is hardly spending well.
There net spend since 2007 is 120 million more than Arsenal so surely that makes Wenger better (pound for pound)?

There net spend since 2007 is 120 million more than Arsenal so surely that makes Wenger better (pound for pound)?

And Wenger hasn't bought badly?

Besides, if you're going to proffer his poorer purchases, I could trump that with the bargain buys he's made every day of the week. And is spend the only way of justifying a manager's success?

All that said, the Arsenal comparison is a ludicrous one. They're different sides with different expectations as to what quantifies success so it's apples to oranges. The side Wenger inherited was a touch different to the side Pulis inherited.

And Wenger hasn't bought badly?

Besides, if you're going to proffer his poorer purchases, I could trump that with the bargain buys he's made every day of the week. And is spend the only way of justifying a manager's success?

All that said, the Arsenal comparison is a ludicrous one. They're different sides with different expectations as to what quantifies success so it's apples to oranges. The side Wenger inherited was a touch different to the side Pulis inherited.
The question was pound for pound though.
I suggested Klopp in the original thread who has won two league titles and a double also amassing the greatest points total in the Bundesliga history having spent less than 25 million in 4 years.He also inherited a shite Borussia team languishing in 12th position.
As you say it's apples and oranges but to say Sam Allardyce mk 2 is the best pound for pound manager that you can think of is baffling for a man who seems to know his football well.

The question was pound for pound though.
I suggested Klopp in the original thread who has won two league titles and a double also amassing the greatest points total in the Bundesliga history having spent less than 25 million in 4 years.He also inherited a shite Borussia team languishing in 12th position.
As you say it's apples and oranges but to say Sam Allardyce mk 2 is the best pound for pound manager that you can think of is baffling for a man who seems to know his football well.

Wasn't it Premier League managers?

I don't like Stoke as a team or the style of football they play (although they do play better football than they're often credited for these days) but it has to be said that they've done very well to establish themselves as a proper Premiership side.

Wigan find themselves at the other end of the spectrum in a way as they've always tried to play good football but have never managed to get it quite right and end up in an awful relegation scrap every year. When they do finally go down (their luck will run out soon enough - perhaps even this year) it'll be interesting to see if they make it back up. I reckon Wigan fans (what few of them there are) would much rather be in Stokes position.

Klopp has done remarkably well in Germany though. To produce a title winning side playing great football that is able to compete in the CL on a shoestring budget is nothing short of amazing. He has recently started spending a little more though (e.g. 17M on Reus who looks to be worth every penny and more) so it'll be interesting to see if he can sustain it particularly with Bayern going all out to re-establish themselves as the dominant force.

They've bought well overall and managed to get a few players who were failures elsewhere to punch above their weight. As for Crouch, has he really been that poor? He might have been on the wain when they bought him but, International striker, big lad who fits in with their physical approach (at least in terms of hold up play), hardly a disaster for them by any stretch. He won their player of the season and goal of the season awards in the Summer too.

Pulis has done an excellent job. He's been very good at sounding out the right players for his approach.
He's bought extremely well in the lower fee regions but his big money moves are questionable.
Crouch is ok, but Jones and Palacios are awful.

Walters has got an average goal record but he's a handful and technically very good for them, I always hate us playing against him (and them), they make us look like a bunch of tarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom