• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Let's talk about Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.
8Nha75qEeRE

Remember a few seasons ago when he'd start and get subbed and then we'd get equalised against. Well anyways, that again yesterday.

That's the big remaining question with him though. Will his body allow him to play a number of games in a row, and then, can he do it without fading?

He was good yesterday, but I'm still on the fence

On what fence? Is he good? Should we keep him? Do we want him starting next year?

For me there's no question at all we should keep him, and then the rest he answers on the pitch. He's doing a great job of it right now.

On what fence? Is he good? Should we keep him? Do we want him starting next year?

For me there's no question at all we should keep him, and then the rest he answers on the pitch. He's doing a great job of it right now.
On the "is he good enough" fence.
To start for a team chasing titles.

These young players, Curtis and Harvey, have to start putting their foot in, get close to someone, make a challenge, make a foul to disrupt play. It is not enough just running around trying to link up play, playing the simple balls side to side. This is not the U21 or the nice boys club. Our pressing yesterday wasn't great once we put our foot off the pedal, there were little resistance once they broke the lines. It will be interesting to see how many successful tackles did our midfielders make.

Last edited:
These young players, Curtis and Harvey, have to start putting their foot in, get close to someone, make a challenge, make a foul to disrupt play. It is not enough just running around trying to link up play, playing the simple balls side to side. This is not the U21 or the nice boys club. Our pressing yesterday wasn't great once we put our foot off the pedal, there were little resistance once they broke the lines. It will be interesting to see how many successful tackles did our midfielders make.
Your post applies to Harvey 100% but Curtis was putting a foot in and pressing all over the pitch.

Elliot is not at the same level as Jones, maybe he can develop into a top class player as he is still a kid but he is out of his depth right now. He has no pace or strength and doesn't have the technique to compensate. Given space and time on the ball he can pass through the lines but that's giving him the luxury of a great player who doesn't need to contribute defensively.

Curtis Jones is developing well, such a shame he has suffered so many injury setbacks but he is starting to deliver in all phases of the game.

Bajcetic is another young lad who looks like he has the skill set to become a top player.

And then there is Cassius but we have to wait another 6 or 7 years..

Seems to play well against the teams that are either going through lousy form or just bad. But yet to see him play well consistently against the more disciplined teams of the league.

One of those players that not good enough to be starting al,l the time but too good to be sitting on the bench all season. I would loan him. But seeing as were probably going into next season without properly sorting out our midfield I guess he will stay.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or do all of our players back out of 50/50 challenges, perhaps CDs apart? There's so many balls I see where I think Gerrard would have won that, never mind the likes of Mascher or Sissoko. Going back, Souness or McMahon wouldn't dream of not challenging for balls we concede.

Is it just me, or do all of our players back out of 50/50 challenges, perhaps CDs apart? There's so many balls I see where I think Gerrard would have won that, never mind the likes of Mascher or Sissoko. Going back, Souness or McMahon wouldn't dream of not challenging for balls we concede.

Yup, our midfield is physically weak, and arguably mentally weaker

Fabinho tries to go in hard for the 50/50's, but by the time he gets there it's usually a 10/90.

He's fifth or sixth choice this year on paper, and he's he's first choice right now. That's kinda how it's supposed to work, no?
And I have nothing against that, what I'm talking about is us not strengthening the midfield and sticking with Jones in midfield next season. So the question for me is, is he or will he become a player on the same level as Gini, Hendo, Gerrard, Alonso, Thiago etc?
That's what I'm on the fence about.

And I have nothing against that, what I'm talking about is us not strengthening the midfield and sticking with Jones in midfield next season. So the question for me is, is he or will he become a player on the same level as Gini, Hendo, Gerrard, Alonso, Thiago etc?
That's what I'm on the fence about.

He's perhaps got a ceiling at Gini/Hendo (albeit with a different style) and not the latter three - but there's no shame in that.

A club of our stature needs to be buying players that force the existing squad to the bench. And a club of our stature needs the bench players to truly push the starters for playing time.

It's great to see him emerge but I sincerely hope we make purchases that try to send Curtis to the bench. If he's good enough, he'll push through that and surface again.

He's perhaps got a ceiling at Gini/Hendo (albeit with a different style) and not the latter three - but there's no shame in that.

A club of our stature needs to be buying players that force the existing squad to the bench. And a club of our stature needs the bench players to truly push the starters for playing time.

It's great to see him emerge but I sincerely hope we make purchases that try to send Curtis to the bench. If he's good enough, he'll push through that and surface again.
Spot on

Thiago doesn't. At least until he gets a booking.

I think comparing him to Hendo's ceiling is either rating Jones super highly, or disrespecting Hendo with a huge amount of recency bias (that I know I often do too). The current version of Hendo isn't physically (and possibly mentally) able to do what peak Hendo did twice a week for 3-4 seasons. He did his role almost to perfection, whilst captaining our team to every trophy possible and guided so many of our players through their own roles too (especially Trent, who he has always had close connection to on his side of the pitch).

If Jones gets anywhere near that level, it would be amazing, but that is almost a generational level. He might not light up the stats but he was a supreme midfielder for us, who we are all unfortunately watching suffer on the pitch due to our own lack of contingency planning in the squad.

I think comparing him to Hendo's ceiling is either rating Jones super highly, or disrespecting Hendo with a huge amount of recency bias (that I know I often do too). The current version of Hendo isn't physically (and possibly mentally) able to do what peak Hendo did twice a week for 3-4 seasons. He did his role almost to perfection, whilst captaining our team to every trophy possible and guided so many of our players through their own roles too (especially Trent, who he has always had close connection to on his side of the pitch).

If Jones gets anywhere near that level, it would be amazing, but that is almost a generational level. He might not light up the stats but he was a supreme midfielder for us, who we are all unfortunately watching suffer on the pitch due to our own lack of contingency planning in the squad.

Henderson has been a fantastic player and captain for us and is underrated by the wider football community for his talent and achievements (I've always had to stick up for him in England conversations with fans of other teams)... but... I disagree with the bolded bit.

The quality that made Henderson, a 7ish/10 player, stand out and likely a good captain is his mentality. For example, I remember numerous occasions where the team across the board seemed to receive an instant +10 stats boost in desire, work rate etc when he came on as a sub.

Curtis Jones is clearly talented. The question is whether he has the mentality to squeeze every last bit of potential out of himself in the way Henderson did.

I've always rated Hendo as a player and especially as a leader. I think Curtis has the ability certainly to get where Hendo's play was (again, acknowledging a different style but similar level of quality).

We've seen nothing to suggest he will be the same type of leader which is why Henderson will go down as a club legend and Jones will most likely not, even if he fulfills his potential in terms of skill and play.

No disrespect intended to our captain.

Just want to keep this thread alive, and read about your views on one of Europe's best players, as he keeps us winning - we have not lost a game since he started. Yes Trent does his stuff, but Curtis keeps the ball for the team.

The only lingering doubt for me with Curtis is fitness.

If he can play the remaining games then he’ll have put those to bed.

Big if though.

vs Chelsea was the first time Jones started a game since Nov 2022 and yesterday was his 3rd consecutive start for us - for club/country, it's 4 in a row (came on as a sub vs. France U21) since God knows when :p. Regular game time obviously helps. :)

untitled-jpg.2611

Today is his 9th start in a row (should be the longest run for him in our starting XI till date). Previous 8 games: 6 wins 2 draws GF19 GA9

Last edited:
England call up? Behave.

If he is starting in midfield next season then we'll be talking.

To be fair, the tweet said "If he continues next season" and the earlier tweet from the same account was from Sep 2020, after his 2nd competitive match (in League Cup) for us - so it's not like he's the type who jumps on the bandwagon. :)

At this rate we may be able to get north of 50m for him.

nah - he is worth way more, he has a higher ceiling than the likes of Jude will ever get to, and even Trent. I know most of you will disagree, but I value his close control and retention of the ball higher than any player in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom