• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool vs West Brom 16:30 27th Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we put Ox in midfield then i wouldn’t mind seeing Taki start again - Maybe Mo starts and Sadio on bench (mirror of last time).

This will be the biggest example of a parked bus we get this season, i really hope we go out all guns blazing and don’t let them settle early.

So our next 4 fixtures are: West Brom Sunday, Newcastle away Wednesday, Saints away Monday, Villa in the FA Cup Friday. Seems quite doable and nothing like the holiday periods of years past when sometimes we would have to play 2 games in 3 days. Saints away is surely the toughest and most energy-draining fixture on the list, while the date with Fat Sam could be the most uncomfortable/frustrating experience if we don't start the game with the right tempo and attitude. Don't think Newcastle are capable of parking the bus even if they tried; they just seem generally rudderless these days.

It would make sense to go full strength against West Brom and Southampton and rotate vs Newcastle and in the cup, but I would make one tweak – I think we can afford to give Matip and Fabinho a rest in each game respectively and have the young Rhys play both. He needs the experience and we need to protect our first-choice CB pairing for tougher tests ahead. As for midfield, if Thiago is ready to play vs Newcastle we could potentially start with 2 completely different midfield trios in these games, something like this:

(West Brom) Hendo-Keita-Jones
(Newcastle) Thiago-Gini-Ox

I know conventional wisdom would say a player coming back from a long injury layoff should get a sub appearance first, but I think Thiago is the type that will want to go straight back in the team as soon as he's physically capable. Hopefully Milner is ready for Newcastle as well so that Robbo can get a well-deserved bit of rest, while Neco can deputize for Trent.

vs West Brom:
-----------------Alisson--------------------
------------Rhys--------Fabinho---------
Trent-----------Hendo------------Robbo
--------Jones------------Keita-------------
Salah----------Firmino-------------Mane

vs Newcastle:
---------------------Alisson------------------
------------Matip-----------Rhys------------
Neco--------------Thiago------------Milner
-------------Ox------------Gini----------------
Salah----------Firmino---------Minamino

Last edited:
I reckon they will attempt to kick us about a bit, to get us out of our stride from the off.
Also try to nick one on a set piece of course.

But I think we will blitz them and outplay them.
3-1 or 3-0.

So our next 4 fixtures are: West Brom Sunday, Newcastle away Wednesday, Saints away Monday, Villa in the FA Cup Friday. Seems quite doable and nothing like the holiday periods of years past when sometimes we would have to play 2 games in 3 days. Saints away is surely the toughest and most energy-draining fixture on the list, while the date with Fat Sam could be the most uncomfortable/frustrating experience if we don't start the game with the right tempo and attitude. Don't think Newcastle are capable of parking the bus even if they tried; they just seem generally rudderless these days.

It would make sense to go full strength against West Brom and Southampton and rotate vs Newcastle and in the cup, but I would make one tweak – I think we can afford to give Matip and Fabinho a rest in each game respectively and have the young Rhys play both. He needs the experience and we need to protect our first-choice CB pairing for tougher tests ahead. As for midfield, if Thiago is ready to play vs Newcastle we could potentially start with 2 completely different midfield trios in these games, something like this:

I know conventional wisdom would say a player coming back from a long injury layoff should get a sub appearance first, but I think Thiago is the type that will want to go straight back in the team as soon as he's physically capable. Hopefully Milner is ready for Newcastle as well so that Robbo can get a well-deserved bit of rest, while Neco can deputize for Trent.

vs West Brom:

vs Newcastle:
I really don't like that Newcastle team. You've given up both our strongest attacking FBs, have an untried CB pairing with Rhys moved across to an unfamiliar CB slot when he was just settling into RCB and Minamino on the LW which is far from his best position, maybe even his worst. That left side has been gutted (Rhys, Milner & Minamino). And WBA at home should be a much easier task than Newcastle away yet that team is far stronger than the Newcastle away team.

If you are going to rest our FBs then it should be one per game. It would make far more sense to rest Robbo in the WBA game and have him back alongside Rhys than Milner. Thiago isn't going to play 90 mins first game back and I can't see any way Klopp rotates the whole midfield.

Take our chances and score and we should be fine.

Allardyce has already set out out his game plan which is to frustrate Liverpool and then wait for any chance which normally comes from our being frustrated. One main reason why we end up being frustrated by park-the-bus teams is that we tend to be profligate with the chances that come our way especially earlier on in the match. Villa, Brighton, Fulham, Tottenham and even Everton all come to mind. We then gift the other team an opening which it takes and then we're suddenly wobbling.

I really don't like that Newcastle team. You've given up both our strongest attacking FBs, have an untried CB pairing with Rhys moved across to an unfamiliar CB slot when he was just settling into RCB and Minamino on the LW which is far from his best position, maybe even his worst. That left side has been gutted (Rhys, Milner & Minamino).

LW is quite clearly Minamino’s best position for us - so far in his Liverpool career all (3 by my count) of his effective performances came from there and he also had 1 decent, but by no means spectacular game at #8. He’s been atrocious every time he’s been tried at #10 or false 9.

Agree to disagree about the rest.

Referee: Kevin Friend.
Assistants: Simon Beck, Adrian Holmes.
Fourth official: Anthony Taylor.
VAR: Martin Atkinson.
Assistant VAR: Peter Kirkup.

The lobster pot will be happy to recuit the lost sales from Joe Anderson being in the nick when big Sam comes the yard

I think we're in danger of becoming too obsessed with squad rotation and to be fair the way this season has been with the mad schedule, that's understandable. However, it's 8 days between Palace and our next game against West Brom so no reason why we shouldn't play our strongest possible 11, and I'd be inclined to do the same for Newc and Southampton. From West Brom to Newcastle it's only a 3 day turnaround so that is tight going but then we've 5 days to So'ton the following Monday night so could be worse. Don't play another League game for 13 days after that one as well.

I think we're in danger of becoming too obsessed with squad rotation and to be fair the way this season has been with the mad schedule, that's understandable. However, it's 8 days between Palace and our next game against West Brom so no reason why we shouldn't play our strongest possible 11, and I'd be inclined to do the same for Newc and Southampton. From West Brom to Newcastle it's only a 3 day turnaround so that is tight going but then we've 5 days to So'ton the following Monday night so could be worse. Don't play another League game for 13 days after that one as well.
I agree and thankfully we have the best man to make all those calls in Jurgen.

vs West Brom:

vs Newcastle:

The best part of football manager 21 is that if the result doesn't go you way, you can quit and reload the last save.

I dont think anybody wants rotation for the sake of it, the obsession is with keepinh as many players as possible fit for available fixtures and that means managing the amount of game time for certain players.

I dont think anybody wants rotation for the sake of it, the obsession is with keepinh as many players as possible fit for available fixtures and that means managing the amount of game time for certain players.
The problem with rotation is that you can overdo it. Rafa was guilty of that at times. Players need games in order to get into a rhythm.
You can rest certain players by being smart with your subs. Also, another more important factor is the flow of the game.
If we're absolutely punishing our opponents and our CB's barely have anything to do all game, why should they be rotated?

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere it’s not just as simple as x player has played y minutes. They know the recovery time for players based on their blood. They can work out who should drop minutes based on certain information. That’s why i think Mané started against Palace instead of Salah even though Mané looked knackered going into the game.

Fat Sam will be loving the weather report. Windy as fuck and twatting it down. It’s a proper leveller. I’m revising my score to just 6-0 win.

vs West Brom:

vs Newcastle:

I see it similar to you however I think he'll keep the spine of

Alisson - Fabinho - Gini - Firmino every game. I think Hendo may be given a rest today to have him fit for the next two.

We've seen this script before regarding using a midfielder with a contract running low.. in every game (Can).

Think we may seen Ox today and Thiago on Wednesday albeit via sub.. possibly both via sub.

May see a split of Trent and Robbo sitting out too.

Given the press coverage around Mane's lack of goals..I can see him starting both too and given a rest for the FA cup game.

Today

--------------Alisson--------
Neco--Matip--Fabinho--Robbo
‐---‐----------Keita-‐---------
‐----------Gini-----Jones----------
Taki-------Firmino----Mane

Wednesday

--------------Alisson--------
Trent--Rhys--Fabinho--Milner
‐---‐----------Hendo-‐---------
‐----------Gini-----Ox----------
Salah-------Firmino----Mane

Where's Spencer? He knows these things. I'd much prefer Jones to start over Keita, who can get fucked.

I’ve just checked and the rain might not hit till after the game but still looking at 50km/h winds.

Not even joking, it'll be a twat of a game if that's the case. Perfect conditions for that gravy-soaked walrus.

They won’t they’ll smash it as long as high as they can and hope to get in behind us.
Obviously, but we've got Fabs and Matip in defence, both really good in the air. This is not the days of Ca...you know what, never mind.

Does Fat Sam have a Davies type of player in the squad though?

But its Fat Sam, it will be a pain regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom