• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Nuri Şahin, Part III (Agreed, pending medical)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Daniel Levy is on his way to Anfield somewhere right now. I can seem him enticing him:-

"Listen we got Green Lane just around the corner - It'll be just like living in Istanbul mate".

Summer 2013: Şahin returns to Madrid as a long term replacement for Alonso who is still refusing to extend his contract. Liverpool re-sign Alonso. Steven Gerrard is happy, Glen Johnson not so much.

Ross Dunbar, Mirror's Bundesliga 'expert':

Liverpool are set to make a major coup in securing the loan-signing of Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Şahin.

Turkish international Şahin is more famed for his time with German champions Borussia Dortmund than anything he's achieved at the Bernabeu.
Şahin has struggled with various injuries since moving to Spain, just over a year ago and made only four league appearances under Jose Mourinho.
The €10million offer from Real triggered a sell-on clause in Şahin’s contract at Signal Iduna Park and thus, he signed a six-year-deal with Los Merengues.

The long-standing injuries aside, Şahin was a long-term recruit for Mourinho. A year-long loan spell in the English Premier League will be ideal for the Turkish midfielder who needs to continue to play competitive football.

This could potentially lead to a long-term deal but Şahin is still firmly in Mourinho’s plans and he will inevitably return to Madrid an improved player.

Despite being just 23, Şahin is hugely experienced for his age with 31 international appearances for Turkey, over 150 games for Borussia Dortmund and a season-long loan with Dutch giants Feyenoord.

Many have already criticised Arsene Wenger for NOT signing a defensive-midfielder with Şahin largely classed as a ‘ball-playing’ midfielder.
That is true, to some extent, but Şahin is an intelligent player.

He formed a really strong defensive-midfield partnership with Sven Bender in Dortmund’s first championship win and is certainly capable of bringing some shrewd defensive play to the Arsenal midfield.

Şahin isn’t a tough-tackler necessarily but his timing of interceptions and awareness of what is around him is spot-on.

But of course, Şahin’s main attributes are when in possession and he has a fantastic left-foot and an excellent range of passing.

In a more expansive system, Şahin will often drop between the central-defenders to receive the ball and move it forward to the likes of Cazorla and others.

It was similarly the case with Şahin collecting the ball from deep and making sure Dortmund’s star-men – Kagawa, Gotze etc – were quickly involved in the play.

Goals from Şahin were rare in his time with BVB but one to remember for the 23-year-old came at the Allianz Arena in 2010, where he produced a stunning curling effort from the edge of the box to put Dortmund two goals ahead in the match.

During his penultimate year in Germany, he scored seven league goals and clinched his first Bundesliga winners medal.

Jinxes ! I'm shocked. I did say we may pull off a coup here. We'll find out today I guess. I just wanted to point out that when that happens I'll be right and you'll be wrong.

Stop taking the thread off topic Ross. Haven't you got threads to lock or something ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom