• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

He drinks Sangria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frustrating player in that he gave the ball away more than even Firmino, but boy did he give us incredible memories!
A couple of remarkable headers in there that we haven't seen anyone doing since for Liverpool.

His left-right foot ability confounded opponents. Added to that was the predatory reactions to any spills or parries.

I remember all the great goals he scored, but I also remember how inconsistent he was. He could look like a world class player one game and be completely useless the next. What was especially frustrating is how often he lost the ball.
But still, club legend in my book and a pity he couldn't play in the FA cup final he lead us to

Last edited:
Frustrating player in that he gave the ball away more than even Firmino, but boy did he give us incredible memories!
A couple of remarkable headers in there that we haven't seen anyone doing since for Liverpool.
Yossi and Suarez had better headers.

Always thought his real calling was as more of a number 9 poacher type - like a Robbie Fowler. He had an incredible eye for goal - but was one of the most wasteful players in possession I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.

No fucking way that ball crossed the line. Would have been a penalty and a red anyway.

Garcia did my head in, like a lot of the players we had then, close to world class, but just lacking something. For him that was consistency.

He pulled them out of his arse in big games.

Not everyone is a world beater in every game. Not everyone has a body that stays at peak through a season. There were better players than Garcia, and we couldn't get any of them, because our team was shit. For us to win a champions league with that team, everyone had to bring the best of themselves, the right players had to be world class on the night, and the football gods, though long dead, had to smile on us.

No one was more all of that than Garcia. I don't get angry at players for not being better than they are, I get angry at the players who don't extract what talent they have. It's why I hate myself, and why I love Luis.

No fucking way that ball crossed the line. Would have been a penalty and a red anyway.

Garcia did my head in, like a lot of the players we had then, close to world class, but just lacking something. For him that was consistency.

It drives them more nuts to be insistent the ball did cross the line. The attempts to prove it conclusively after the fact at the time were amateurish, the lines didn't even line up. That's the sort of shit I say to them to make them angrier. Invent a friend who was sat strategically looking down the line. They start rolling their eyes at the biased hearsay, then you dutifully break into tears about how he died of bowel cancer. I don't concede the first point and move on to the red card thing, however valid. Up your game. Know your enemy.

I first started to believe we could win the Champions League when Garcia's sublime strike against Juve hit the back of the net.

It's permanently etched into my memories, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Liverpool Team v Milan 2007

GK 25 Pepe Reina
RB 3 Steve Finnan 88'
CB 23 Jamie Carragher 60'
CB 5 Daniel Agger
LB 6 John Arne Riise
DM 14 Xabi Alonso
DM 20 Javier Mascherano 58' 78'
RM 16 Jermaine Pennant
LM 32 Boudewijn Zenden 59'
AM 8 Steven Gerrard (c)
CF 18 Dirk Kuyt

Substitutes:

GK 1 Jerzy Dudek
DF 2 Álvaro Arbeloa 88'
DF 4 Sami Hyypiä
MF 7 Harry Kewell 59'
MF 11 Mark González
FW 15 Peter Crouch 78'
FW 17 Craig Bellamy

Liverpool Team v Milan 2007

GK 25 Pepe Reina
RB 3 Steve Finnan 88'
CB 23 Jamie Carragher 60'
CB 5 Daniel Agger
LB 6 John Arne Riise
DM 14 Xabi Alonso
DM 20 Javier Mascherano 58' 78'
RM 16 Jermaine Pennant
LM 32 Boudewijn Zenden 59'
AM 8 Steven Gerrard (c)
CF 18 Dirk Kuyt

Substitutes:

GK 1 Jerzy Dudek
DF 2 Álvaro Arbeloa 88'
DF 4 Sami Hyypiä
MF 7 Harry Kewell 59'
MF 11 Mark González
FW 15 Peter Crouch 78'
FW 17 Craig Bellamy

He made a total guardiola of that final

If Garcia was consistent and did not loose the ball, he would be Ronaldinho and we would not have gotten him for 6 million Euros.

Players like him, Dirk and maybe Baros, I wonder what level they would reach if they had Klopp unlocking the next level of what they could.

Could play that game with a lot of players in the last 30 years.

He actually Guardiola’d BOTH finals IMO. Restricting Gerrard’s attacking game in order to accommodate Kewell was just as bad as betting on Pennant.
He also played the best team in the world with Dudek, Traoré, Riise, Garcia and Baros in the line up and we needed Smicer to save us.

20 years later and I'm still amazed we managed to win that game.

Dida
Cafu - legend
Nesta - legend
Stam - legend
Maldini - legend
Gattuso - legend
Kaka - legend
Shevchenko - legend
Seedorf - legend
Pirlo - legend
H Crespo

He also played the best team in the world with Dudek, Traoré, Riise, Garcia and Baros in the line up and we needed Smicer to save us.

20 years later and I'm still amazed we managed to win that game.

Dida
Cafu - legend
Nesta - legend
Stam - legend
Maldini - legend
Gattuso - legend
Kaka - legend
Shevchenko - legend
Seedorf - legend
Pirlo - legend
H Crespo

Crespo was really good as well at the peak of his career. As his two goals against us showed. And Dida was 2nd only to Buffon in Italy for a few years. Yeah, hell of a team - crazy that we managed to beat them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom