• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Scouting centre backs…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddha

Very Well-Known
It’s clear we’re in desperate need of a Matip replacement in January, regardless of what downplaying Klopp might (rightly) do in pressers.

So given our general sweet spot for most transfers seems to be anywhere in the 35-60m bracket and we likely have the funds for the right player, who should we be looking at in January?

I’ll start…

Marc Guehi. Established in the prem at a young age and in the process of doing the same in an England shirt, so homegrown bonus too. Right footed but predominantly plays LCB, so versatile enough to cover two positions and at 23, plenty of room for improvement with some Klopp magic. A good injury record to boot having missed 10 days (groin) in three seasons.

Likely 50-60m and potentially worth it.

We wont sign a centre back. We'll bring back Big Nat or Rhys Williams from their loan.

Close thread

Marc Guehi lol. No ta. Especially not for 50-60m, you must be crazy. Rather give Quansah the chance or recall Sepp/Nat.

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I think Forest defender Murillo is quite decent. Not sure about the height though.

I saw Anfield Agenda's thumbnail today saying we were seriously considering Hincapie and Paulinha. I just don't think we have the cash till summer again.

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I think Forest defender Murillo is quite decent. Not sure about the height though.
Forest found a gem there. Wanna know how much they got him in the summer for? £10m. Worth at least 3x that now.

Something we could never do.

When we go in search for gems we come out with Tiago Ilori, Danny Wilson and fucking Ben Davies.

Forest found a gem there. Wanna know how much they got him in the summer for? £10m. Worth at least 3x that now.

When we go in search for gems we come out with Tiago Ilori, Danny Wilson and fucking Ben Davies.
well hopefully he's got a relegation clause.

The best CB in the Prem who doesn't play for us is Lewis Dunk. But if we chased him, everyone would throw a spaz. Plus, he's 32 or so.

Andy Robertson? Matip? Milner?

We went into this season with four “first team” centre backs (VVD, Matip, Konate, Gomez) with Quansah showing promise. Seemed reasonable, depth, cover etc.

Three months later Quansah has shown he’s competent cover and he’s shown he’s ‘keen’ to be considered in the first team list. Joel Matip is out for the rest of the season so we still have four ‘first teamers’ and we also have Nat Phillips returning in two weeks time. In extremis we can use Endo as an emergency CB, he has played there for seasons in his younger days.

We will not be buying a CB in the window

More to the point Juergen has made it clear the funds and the scenario are not there for a purchase, He wants to retain Joel even after this season

I don't think we will or should buy a centerback unless he's a genuine contender for a starting berth next year.

Guehi would be one to consider but his price would be high and Palace are too close to the relegation spots to be comfortable selling, in all likelihood.

We'll probably recall Nat (and never play him) and hold on until the summer.

The Davies/Kabak fiasco didn't exactly help us the season we tried to make an emergency purchase.

I don't think we will or should buy a centerback unless he's a genuine contender for a starting berth next year.

We'll probably recall Nat (and never play him) and hold on until the summer.

If Nat returns (and stays) there’s a likely enough scenario (given Konate and Gomez injury record) that he’ll be forced into action more than we’d like.

We’re top of the table and are relying on two proven injury- prone CBs having just lost one of our first choice starters. We simply have to enter the market.

why? remember that time when we were down to 1cb and we kept playing midfielders in defence and then Klopp realised actually we have got Phillips and Williams and started playing them and watched us rescue a place in the champions league spots.

I'm well aware of his résumé, but we're talking about a player that no PL side wants. Apparently no Championship team either. Klopp doesn't even like playing him. He didn't get a minute on the pitch during pre season even.
Bournemouth weren't impressed and neither were Celtic.
Why would I want him to play?
If its an emergency and we can't buy another CB then sure. I don't mind having him in the squad but I still don't want to see him play, cause that means that we have 4 injured CB's.

There’s a difference between playing well enough to secure 4th against eventual 5th / 6th place sides, than the near perfection required to see off City in a title challenge.

Klopp obviously doesn’t think Nat good enough to sustain a squad place so why on earth would we choose to do so when we enter the new year in likely top spot?

Nat did more than well enough for us when he was asked to step in and we can all be grateful to him for helping us get top 4 but if we're serious about winning the title then you need quality players to fit the way you wanna play.

Not signing another CB after Matip would be a huge risk and if we giveaway cheap goals that cost us, fingers are only going to be pointed to 1 thing come May.

We've brought forward signings 6 months before, signing a CB in Jan means we don't need to go after another in the summer. Let's not let this opportunity slip us by.

Anyone think City would sell us a CB? They sell willingly to Arsenal & Chelsea.

I’d have Ake in a heartbeat. Or any of their other surplus.

On a more serious note i rate Guehi and we do need a homegrown player.

and we do need a homegrown player.
How so?

Kelleher, Jaros, Trent, Gomez, Trent, Glatzel

We also have about 3 more out on loan currently in Rhys, Nat and Sepp with Morton, Carvalho, Harvey and Quansah all becoming homegrown from next season.

I'd imagine Glatzel and Nat will both be gone in summer but we have more than enough at the club.

I'm well aware of his résumé, but we're talking about a player that no PL side wants. Apparently no Championship team either. Klopp doesn't even like playing him. He didn't get a minute on the pitch during pre season even.
Bournemouth weren't impressed and neither were Celtic.
Why would I want him to play?
If its an emergency and we can't buy another CB then sure. I don't mind having him in the squad but I still don't want to see him play, cause that means that we have 4 injured CB's.
If the club won't buy CBs not sure what choice we have? Konate and Gomez are just as susceptible to injuries as Matip.

If the club won't buy CBs not sure what choice we have? Konate and Gomez are just as susceptible to injuries as Matip.
Agreed our CB situation isn't great. Still, Nat should not be seen as anything other than an emergency option.

Anyone think City would sell us a CB? They sell willingly to Arsenal & Chelsea.

I’d have Ake in a heartbeat. Or any of their other surplus.

On a more serious note i rate Guehi and we do need a homegrown player.
Have you been drinking from the same well as me. City supporters are moaning at how small their squad is. Klopp doesn't think he needs a CB, if he did there's plenty of options including the South American market which will be cheap like this young guy who plays for Liverpool

The reality is, its unlikely we will sign anyone come Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom