• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer Rumours 21/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many CBs do they need? And why would Wolves sell their captain?

Kilman and new signing Collins are favoured over him while Everton's DOF knows Coady from his time at Wolves. I think they are in need of attacking signings though - can't see where the goals are coming from for them.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/conor-coady-transfer-crossroads-wolves-27669673

[article]Instead, Lage was pragmatic. He retained the 3-4-3/3-5-2 formations favoured by his predecessor. He wanted to move to a back four, but after one pre-season game decided he didn’t have the centre-backs necessary to do it.

Twelve months on, that has changed and Lage is determined to do things his way. Having seen his side score only 38 times in 38 league games last term, he has the backing of fans to try to make his mark by making the team more attacking and less reactive. Lage’s solution is to finally move to 4-3-3, ask his centre-backs to defend with less security and play with a higher defensive line.

Max Kilman’s maturation has seen him become Lage’s first-choice centre-back
, with the 25-year-old former futsal star now on Gareth Southgate’s England radar too. His centre-back partner at Leeds this weekend will be £20million new boy Nathan Collins, the Republic of Ireland international snapped up from Burnley last month. All in, that means there is no place for Coady.

The ex-Liverpool youngster remains an integral part of the squad and someone the club don’t want to lose. He’s still the leader, the setter of standards, a key conduit between management and the playing staff. "He's still my captain," insists Lage.

But there’s an understanding that, for the 29-year-old, the timing of his demotion from undisputed first pick to back-up couldn’t be worse. Having played in 151 of Wolves’ 152 matches since promotion, he now finds himself on the outside looking in, with a World Cup around the corner.

He’s been part of Southgate’s squads in the past two years and went to Euro 2020, but with the likes of Fikayo Tomori and Ben White ensuring growing competition for places, he’s far from a guarantee for Qatar in November - especially if he’s not playing at club level.

Can he adapt and survive Wolves’ attempted evolution? The jury is out.

The feeling is he struggles against elite Premier League strikers when pulled into channels and in one-vs-one duels. Playing in a pair rather than a threesome, there’ll be much more of that and Coady, an astute reader of the game but not blessed with great speed or aerial power, would be much less protected.

There is also a difference in where Coady prefers to be as part of a defensive line and how high Lage - who has worked relentlessly to drill his players in the ways of a back four this summer - wants his centre-backs to push up. It’s not something that, with work, cannot be overcome, but there’s a discomfort there at present.

Then there is the question of what if Wolves go to Leeds and are well beaten? What if they fall flat on their face in their Molineux opener against Fulham the following week? Does Lage bin his transformation, returning to the tried and trusted, bringing back Coady and three centre-backs?

Coady has embodied Wolves’ rise from going-nowhere-fast in the Championship to upwardly-mobile in the Premier League more than anyone else. Lage would like to keep him but is aware of the situation at play.

Coady too has earned the right to have his say on his future. Should he want to leave, chairman Jeff Shi and technical director Scott Sellars will help find a deal that works for all parties. A £20million figure has been mooted, but it could even be less.[/article]

Last edited:

Kilman and new signing Collins are favoured over him while Everton's DOF knows Coady from his time at Wolves. I think they are in need of attacking signings though - can't see where the goals are coming from for them.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/conor-coady-transfer-crossroads-wolves-27669673

[article]Instead, Lage was pragmatic. He retained the 3-4-3/3-5-2 formations favoured by his predecessor. He wanted to move to a back four, but after one pre-season game decided he didn’t have the centre-backs necessary to do it.

Twelve months on, that has changed and Lage is determined to do things his way. Having seen his side score only 38 times in 38 league games last term, he has the backing of fans to try to make his mark by making the team more attacking and less reactive. Lage’s solution is to finally move to 4-3-3, ask his centre-backs to defend with less security and play with a higher defensive line.

Max Kilman’s maturation has seen him become Lage’s first-choice centre-back
, with the 25-year-old former futsal star now on Gareth Southgate’s England radar too. His centre-back partner at Leeds this weekend will be £20million new boy Nathan Collins, the Republic of Ireland international snapped up from Burnley last month. All in, that means there is no place for Coady.

The ex-Liverpool youngster remains an integral part of the squad and someone the club don’t want to lose. He’s still the leader, the setter of standards, a key conduit between management and the playing staff. "He's still my captain," insists Lage.

But there’s an understanding that, for the 29-year-old, the timing of his demotion from undisputed first pick to back-up couldn’t be worse. Having played in 151 of Wolves’ 152 matches since promotion, he now finds himself on the outside looking in, with a World Cup around the corner.

He’s been part of Southgate’s squads in the past two years and went to Euro 2020, but with the likes of Fikayo Tomori and Ben White ensuring growing competition for places, he’s far from a guarantee for Qatar in November - especially if he’s not playing at club level.

Can he adapt and survive Wolves’ attempted evolution? The jury is out.

The feeling is he struggles against elite Premier League strikers when pulled into channels and in one-vs-one duels. Playing in a pair rather than a threesome, there’ll be much more of that and Coady, an astute reader of the game but not blessed with great speed or aerial power, would be much less protected.

There is also a difference in where Coady prefers to be as part of a defensive line and how high Lage - who has worked relentlessly to drill his players in the ways of a back four this summer - wants his centre-backs to push up. It’s not something that, with work, cannot be overcome, but there’s a discomfort there at present.

Then there is the question of what if Wolves go to Leeds and are well beaten? What if they fall flat on their face in their Molineux opener against Fulham the following week? Does Lage bin his transformation, returning to the tried and trusted, bringing back Coady and three centre-backs?

Coady has embodied Wolves’ rise from going-nowhere-fast in the Championship to upwardly-mobile in the Premier League more than anyone else. Lage would like to keep him but is aware of the situation at play.

Coady too has earned the right to have his say on his future. Should he want to leave, chairman Jeff Shi and technical director Scott Sellars will help find a deal that works for all parties. A £20million figure has been mooted, but it could even be less.[/article]

Major step down for Coady. Very Surprised.

So - its only a few days away from the Crystal Palace game and we still have not signed anyone for the midfield ? - maybe the ones out there don't get injured enough so don't match our rocket scientists criteria - yes that can be the only thing.

So - its only a few days away from the Crystal Palace game and we still have not signed anyone for the midfield ? - maybe the ones out there don't get injured enough so don't match our rocket scientists criteria - yes that can be the only thing.
You honestly think signings work that fast? Unless you're trolling you're old enough to know transfers under Klopp don't work like that. A) the owners have to get their cheque book out B) find a player that's willing to move and the club willing to pay the required fee. I want a CM, and we still have over 20 days to sign a MF

Maybe you should write to Jurgen or John Henry and demand they explain the transfer inaction over the last 2 days since the Fulham disaster - if no news by tomorrow I think the season is over.

Probably been told by Lage in no uncertain terms that it's over for him at Wolves. Wolves are a strange side tbh. I don't think their players seriously believe they'll survive this season.

Just signed Guedes from Valencia who is a very good player. Wolves seem to have changed to a 4 at the back and I dont think Coady is very effective or good enough in a CB pairing. Which is probably why Lage is changing it around and letting him go.

You either need a psychiatrist or a new sport to follow mate !

Such a shame imo ..why would he do that

For the reasons others have referred to, plus it enables him to come back to Merseyside. Even Zidanny Murphy tried to join them when it became clear that he didn't figure in GH's future plans. I couldn't have brought myself to do it, but you never know what others' priorities are.

I don't blame him. Boy probably wants to come home, and despite having yo play for Everton. Guys my wife took me to liverpool in Feb have to say what a great city, people, and buzz. Can't imagine people wanting to live too far away from it if the grew up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom