• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Burnley (a) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alisson Becker and our defense line deserve credit today. We weren't brilliant in the aerial duals, but the offside trap was brutally efficient and having a world class keeper to hoover everything up made the difference in a scrappy game.

Fabinho has five goals in seven games, pretty insane stuff. Robertson was everywhere also.

The rest were pretty underwhelming but conditions were shit. No injuries, 3 points. All good.

I sometimes have to wonder whether Salah and Mane are just THAT shit at playing a through ball. Or whether they underhit/overhit through balls purposely because they want the ball played back to them to score.

Jheez. This game would have been over much earlier, if either one of those lot could play an unselfish through ball (without hesitating).

Our afcon lads have all look jaded I’m sure they’ll be back into the groove after a few games.

I sometimes have to wonder whether Salah and Mane are just THAT shit at playing a through ball. Or whether they underhit/overhit through balls purposely because they want the ball played back to them to score.

Jheez. This game would have been over much earlier, if either one of those lot could play an unselfish through ball (without hesitating).
Firmino is currently the king of underhitting passes

Thought we controlled the game quite well after Thiago came on. Kept the ball and limited their chances.
All in all, massive 3 points in horrific conditions.

Our afcon lads have all look jaded I’m sure they’ll be back into the groove after a few games.

Salah gave the impression that he felt that nothing was going his way since hem as returned from the Finals of the AFCON, and was playing like it was true, a real lack of belief i himself today

I thought Thiago was absolute boss from the moment he came on – completely lifted the level of our midfield and Burnley didn't have a single chance since his introduction. I would put him in my top 3 after Fabinho and Alli.

Last edited:
At the post match presser, Klopp said Jota was supposed to start in place of Mane, but he had a dead leg in training the day before, so could only come off the bench. I think Sadio did pretty well considering that he originally wasn't deemed ready to start. Klopp also said he didn't want to throw Diaz into this game; this would have been too much "welcome to the Premier League" experience for him at this early juncture.

So the front 3 selection was more or less enforced rather than reflecting the manager's preference or pecking order. It certainly felt like it because Firmino's play in particular didn't look like it was a part of a cohesive game plan on how to break Burnley down; we needed a real nine more than a false nine in this game. On paper we had a full squad, but in practice there were a lot of small and not so small issues with the squad and I think Klopp will be very happy with a scrappy 1:0 all things considering.

Last edited:
So the front 3 selection was more or less enforced rather than reflecting the manager's preference or pecking order. It certainly felt like it because Firmino's play in particular didn't look like it was a part of a cohesive game plan on how to break Burnley down; we needed a real nine more than an imposter trying to remember how to be a Liverpool player in this game. On paper we had a full squad, but in practice there were a lot of small and not so small issues with the squad and I think Klopp will be very happy with a scrappy 1:0 all things considering.

You could also have said this

Almost every single attempt by Bobby to thread someone through was intercepted by a defender. And it was not passes which the defenders had to bust a gut to reach, it's almost like he is passing to them, they could get the ball under control and immediately start a counter attack.

It's a good thing Burnley are shit.

Klopp's point and Fab's incredulity are linked here. It seemed like Burnley had more chances than they did because of the late flags. Most of their 'opportunities' came from offside play that was subsequently flagged or would have been chalked off.

Klopp's point and Fab's incredulity are linked here. It seemed like Burnley had more chances than they did because of the late flags. Most of their 'opportunities' came from offside play that was subsequently flagged or would have been chalked off.

Those "heavy flags" are probably the worst thing about football these days. If its obvious just flag it ffs.

Those "heavy flags" are probably the worst thing about football these days. If its obvious just flag it ffs.
A few of them in the first half were border line, and so would have resulted in a VAR check if they had "scored". In fact the commentator on my stream kept on about how he didn't think they were offside and we were lucky ... completely ignoring the fact that Ali saved or they missed anyway :)

But I agree, not flagging immediately for the obvious ones is just ridiculous

We all know the problem though, it theyre told to start flagging the obvious ones only they’ll eventually start cocking that up

Thats a valid point. We set Burnley offside 7 times yesterday. How many chances did they have if you exclude those? Not many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom