• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Burnley (a) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Nice win & clean sheet against the foxes. Virg back in form, Jota still flying, Thiago dominating, Diaz looking good. Couldn't ask for much more.

Burnley will be interesting with their new forward, but we should take this momentum forward and ruin their day.

Ali

Trent
Matip
Virgil
Robbo

Fabinho
Thiago
Elliot

Salah
Jota
Diaz

This big monster Wort Woghorst or whatever you call him. He's going to make us look like idiotholes.

Think we should rotate with Thiago as well. He played 90 mins yesterday. We can rotate now that we have the squad for it and get fresh legs on.

Fabinho, Henderson or Keita, Elliott

Think we should rotate with Thiago as well. He played 90 mins yesterday. We can rotate now that we have the squad for it and get fresh legs on.

Fabinho, Henderson or Keita, Elliott
Depends if hendo is fit. Klopp might take his time bringing him back fully, as for once we seem to have a near enough full compliment of midfielders.

I can see a fab, keita Jones/Elliott

We're gonna need Thiago and Fabinho in midfield against Burnley. I'd also start Keita or Elliott.
To break down Burnley we're gonna have to move the ball quickly.

Depends if hendo is fit. Klopp might take his time bringing him back fully, as for once we seem to have a near enough full compliment of midfielders.

I can see a fab, keita Jones/Elliott

Klopp confirmed in his presser today that Hendo is fit and back Sunday.

If Hendo is back he has to start. We need him against Burnley.

I think we have to start putting Elliott or Keita in there, I think longterm Klopp wants two players who can control the midfield and one that will open things up, so the options are there. In the "sitters" you have Fabinho, Thiago or Henderson and in the advanced role you've got Elliott and Keita, not that we really play a triangle, but one will have more license to break forward. Jones I'm not fussed about. He kinda slots in and largely doesn't look out of place, but he doesn't offer enough either way, attacking or defending. He's only young and he can become a solid midfielder, but there are about 6 players at the club who can play the role much better currently.

As you say, we need to move the ball more quickly in midfield. You could see the impact that Elliott provided in both games, he injected momentum and urgency into our play. We don't always need that, but it's a factor we've really lacked at times when we've been forced into flat midfield setups like Milner/Fabs/Hendo.

Last edited:
Firstly, these are absolute dog shit and cannot wait to see them down.

Alisson
Trent
Konate
Van Dijk
Tsimikas
Fabinho
Elliott
Thiago
Mané
Jota
Salah

This isn’t anything to do with Matip’s performance but giving konate minutes. Tsimikas in to manage Robbos minutes.

edit. Mané in for diaz just cos Sadio should be full of confidence and diaz can play Wednesday.

Last edited:
Elliot has to be given a start. Any creative or adventurist spark that Jones showed early on has diminished somewhat. We still lack real midfield thrust. We don't know yet if Elliot has what it takes as he's still a prospect but he'll need game time to get him up to speed to at least compete for a place.

Nice win & clean sheet against the foxes. Virg back in form, Jota still flying, Thiago dominating, Diaz looking good. Couldn't ask for much more.

Burnley will be interesting with their new forward, but we should take this momentum forward and ruin their day.

Ali

Trent
Matip
Virgil
Robbo

Fabinho
Thiago
Elliot

Salah
Jota
Diaz

I would consider starting Konate over Matip in this game. Also, Keita probably suits playing against a less agile midfield and Thiago will be rested for Inter. Agree with the front 3; Mane to come on as a sub.

——————Alisson——————-
——-Konate———Van Dijk———-
Trent———-Fabinho—-——Robbo
———--Hendo——-Keita————-
—Salah———Jota————-Diaz—

Ali

Trent
Matip
Virgil
Robbo

Fabinho
Thiago
Elliot

Salah
Jota
Diaz

Inter 3 days later CL , so with that in mind...
Ali

Trent (off after 70 mins With the CL game in mind three days later )
Matip
Virgil
Robbo Tsimikas (With the CL game in mind three days later)

Fabinho
Thiago Keita (60 mins, CL)
Elliot The Ox (With the CL game in mind three days later)

Salah Frimino (Salah 20mins run out With the CL game in mind three days later)
Jota (Minamino 30 min run out)
Dia (Mane 30 mins run out)

I can certainly see Elliott starting. Remember that he was becoming first choice before he got injured and two decent substitute appearances would look like paving the way for him to start again.

Elliot has to be given a start. Any creative or adventurist spark that Jones showed early on has diminished somewhat. We still lack real midfield thrust. We don't know yet if Elliot has what it takes as he's still a prospect but he'll need game time to get him up to speed to at least compete for a place.

It not diminished, it's still there, he did it before instinctively, which is a rare gift that you don't lose like they're a set of car keys. All that's happened is he's probably trying to carry out tactical instructions that don't come naturally to him, all the game management blah blah is occupying his mind, so he's no longer playing on instinct, he's consciously thinking about everything he does which looks ugly for now. Obliviously he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, so that doesn't help either. But I'm pretty sure that's just a matter of time, eventually it will all turn into muscle memory and he will carry out the tactical stuff on auto pilot, thus freeing up his brain again whereupon his old instincts will return. We'd be stupid to discount that rare and massive upside, and for what? Keita has doesn't have many years left on this earth. We don't have the monies to get a worthy replacement. Jones is worth developing.

It not diminished, it's still there, he did it before instinctively, which is a rare gift that you don't lose like they're a set of car keys. All that's happened is he's probably trying to carry out tactical instructions that don't come naturally to him, all the game management blah blah is occupying his mind, so he's no longer playing on instinct, he's consciously thinking about everything he does which looks ugly for now. Obliviously he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, so that doesn't help either. But I'm pretty sure that's just a matter of time, eventually it will all turn into muscle memory and he will carry out the tactical stuff on auto pilot, thus freeing up his brain again whereupon his old instincts will return. We'd be stupid to discount that rare and massive upside, and for what? Keita has doesn't have many years left on this earth. We don't have the monies to get a worthy replacement. Jones is worth developing.

Don’t agree with the conclusion, but that’s a good post.

[article]One of Burnley’s problems when it comes to scoring is the creation of chances. They have few players capable of producing the assists required for strikers to score goals. A key creative asset is Dwight McNeil but he has provided a sole assist this season in 20 Premier League outings. To make matters worse for McNeil he has not found the back of the net either, which goes some way to explaining why Burnley have won only a single game and scored 17 goals in 20 matches. Against Manchester United, McNeil looked tired and struggled to get involved in the game despite playing the full 90 minutes. The new signing Wout Weghorst is supposed to be the man who can fire Burnley off the bottom and to safety, but he needs service from crosses and no one is providing it at the moment. Without them, and with formidable opponents due on Sunday in Liverpool, Burnley could be doomed.
[/article]

Cornet is injured, right?
depositphotos_200161588-stock-photo-broken-empty-sugar-waffle-cones.jpg

[article]One of Burnley’s problems when it comes to scoring is the creation of chances. They have few players capable of producing the assists required for strikers to score goals. A key creative asset is Dwight McNeil but he has provided a sole assist this season in 20 Premier League outings. To make matters worse for McNeil he has not found the back of the net either, which goes some way to explaining why Burnley have won only a single game and scored 17 goals in 20 matches. Against Manchester United, McNeil looked tired and struggled to get involved in the game despite playing the full 90 minutes. The new signing Wout Weghorst is supposed to be the man who can fire Burnley off the bottom and to safety, but he needs service from crosses and no one is providing it at the moment. Without them, and with formidable opponents due on Sunday in Liverpool, Burnley could be doomed.
[/article]

I hope they are. I'd luv it, really luv it, if that overpraised hypocrite Dyche and his cage fighters got their comeuppance this season. Them, Everton and Watford going down would be Utopia.

I might be in the minority, but actually I don't mind Burnley. When we talk about the Premier League being tougher and more physical than other leagues – well, it's teams like Burnley that ensure that remains the case, without them this already very cosmopolitan league won't be too different from Spain. I would hate to watch a league where 15 out of teams are like Burnley, but you always need a least a few like that to keep the rest of the league honest.

I might be in the minority, but actually I don't mind Burnley. When we talk about the Premier League being tougher and more physical than other leagues – well, it's teams like Burnley that ensure that remains the case, without them this already very cosmopolitan league won't be too different from Spain. I would hate to watch a league where 15 out of teams are like Burnley, but you always need a least a few like that to keep the rest of the league honest.
I don't mind a team playing it tough but Burnley have a cynical edge and are pretty fond of leaving a foot in or using excessive force in the follow through of tackle.
To make matters worse they are pretty good at throwing themselves to the ground at the slightest touch and feigning injury when it suits.
So, being tough is fine but being shithouse isn't.

I don't mind a team playing it tough but Burnley have a cynical edge and are pretty fond of leaving a foot in or using excessive force in the follow through of tackle.
To make matters worse they are pretty good at throwing themselves to the ground at the slightest touch and feigning injury when it suits.
So, being tough is fine but being shithouse isn't.

It really is that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom