• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Man United (a) post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Looks like we need to rethink where this team's ambitions lie this season. We're not one midfielder away from winning the league – on the evidence of the first 3 games, there are serious issues throughout the team. We knew there would be a period of transition in attack post-Mane and with Firmino being phased out, but the sudden drop in form for Fabinho, Trent, Robertson and Van Dijk means that we don't have the strong foundations to carry us through this transition period unscathed. There are little positive green shoots coming through too, but it will take time for us to readjust, because the old system is simply no more.

Looks like we need to rethink where this team's ambitions lie this season. We're not one midfielder away from winning the league – on the evidence of the first 3 games, there are serious issues throughout the team. We knew the would be a period of transition in attack post-Mane and with Firmino being phased out, but the sudden drop in form for Fabinho, Trent, Robertson and Van Dijk means that we don't have the strong foundations to carry us through this transition period unscathed. There are little positive green shoots coming through too, but it will take time for us to readjust, because the old system is simply no more.
No. Its definitely the midfield. Problem is.. if you havent got the midfield, you can't play the high line. We get exposed time and time again.

We need 1 or 2 new.midfielders, we also need another forward. We're pinning all our hopes on Jota to cover 3 positions.

Looks like we need to rethink where this team's ambitions lie this season. We're not one midfielder away from winning the league – on the evidence of the first 3 games, there are serious issues throughout the team. We knew there would be a period of transition in attack post-Mane and with Firmino being phased out, but the sudden drop in form for Fabinho, Trent, Robertson and Van Dijk means that we don't have the strong foundations to carry us through this transition period unscathed. There are little positive green shoots coming through too, but it will take time for us to readjust, because the old system is simply no more.

I just hope that Klopp sees this... because the way he talks about TAA's defending, or persists with Milner-Hendo CM partnership, or starting Bobby instead of just going with Fabio makes me think he's got a few hills he's wiling to die on, even if it means it puts us in an even tougher predicament this season.

Injuries wrecked his last season at Dortmund, but that team was also tired after years of competing against Bayern.
Injuries have wrecked the start of our season, and it _seems_ the attitude of some of our players is really poor.

Hope Klopp has the ability to navigate through this ...

Those drops are not sudden, some of those players have been in decline for several seasons.

Firmino and Henderson shouldn't be starters anymore they don't have the legs for it. Milner has gone a season too far, maybe two. It was cringey watching him barge around shouting at teammates while actually being the worst player on the pitch.

You can carry an underperforming older player when their experience makes up for a drop in performance level, if everyone else is right on their game. You can't carry 3 or 4 of them phoning it in and expect to get away with it.

We are playing for top 4, this team does not have a title challenge in them. The squad is full of unreliable or unfit players that can't step up when needed. The likes of Ox and Keita should have been moved on years ago, it's hubris on Klopps part to think he can turn them into top class players, he can't no-one can. It's too late now to sell most of them because they are in their last 12 months and will walk for free. We just have to wear this season as a write off.

I think it was @keniget who described our tactics or first team squad as a Jenga game. One block is slightly out and the whole thing comes tumbling down. We buy a dynamic midfielder or two, Jota and Nunez are back, and everything looks different

I just hope that Klopp sees this... because the way he talks about TAA's defending, or persists with Milner-Hendo CM partnership, or starting Bobby instead of just going with Fabio makes me think he's got a few hills he's wiling to die on, even if it means it puts us in an even tougher predicament this season.

Injuries wrecked his last season at Dortmund, but that team was also tired after years of competing against Bayern.
Injuries have wrecked the start of our season, and it _seems_ the attitude of some of our players is really poor.

I hope we aren't fickle like Dortmund fans. He will turn it around.

Those drops are not sudden, some of those players have been in decline for several seasons.

Firmino and Henderson shouldn't be starters anymore they don't have the legs for it. Milner has gone a season too far, maybe two. It was cringey watching him barge around shouting at teammates while actually being the worst player on the pitch.

You can carry an underperforming older player when their experience makes up for a drop in performance level, if everyone else is right on their game. You can't carry 3 or 4 of them phoning it in and expect to get away with it.

We are playing for top 4, this team does not have a title challenge in them. The squad is full of unreliable or unfit players that can't step up when needed. The likes of Ox and Keita should have been moved on years ago, it's hubris on Klopps part to think he can turn them into top class players, he can't no-one can. It's too late now to sell most of them because they are in their last 12 months and will walk for free. We just have to wear this season as a write off.

I just hope that we use it to ensure Elliot, Fabio and others are ready to blossom next year.

City will win 5 in 6 ... yikes.

I hope we aren't fickle like Dortmund fans. He will turn it around.

I think he was ready to leave Dortmund - not that the fans pushed him out ...
He's clearly not ready to leave us yet - but if things are happening behind the scenes that we're not aware of (i.e. not getting the backing he needs), who knows.

I think he was ready to leave Dortmund - not that the fans pushed him out ...
He's clearly not ready to leave us yet - but if things are happening behind the scenes that we're not aware of (i.e. not getting the backing he needs), who knows.
He was not ready to leave Dortmund. He was pushed. Think it was their CEO who confirmed that.

We need 1 or 2 new.midfielders, we also need another forward. We're pinning all our hopes on Jota to cover 3 positions.
This game we missed Nunez and Thiago, As bad as Fabs has been Millie is not a fitting replacement. Klopp knows we need reinforcements, but as those tweets @redrose posted its not in his hands, he is trying to work with what he has.

To play devil's advocate, as a manager you cannot be as rash as an armchair fan – if a system served you and sustained you for years, you have to keep going to the same well for a while until you're completely sure it's dry. It's pretty shocking to see how the same team (minus Mane, but still) that almost won the quadruple last season has so quickly turned to shit after a short preseason. My point is, there are too many problems in all areas of the team right now and it wouldn't be solved instantly even if sign God of Midfielders tomorrow.

Like take Fabinho – there must be a reason he hasn't started; Klopp can make mistakes, but he's not stupid. I thought he looked pretty slow and ponderous when he came on too; it's just United by that time pretty much stopped playing football. Or Robertson's decline or whatever is going on with Trent – these are all players who should be in their prime, no one advocated for replacing them, but they are all underperforming. I really hope Klopp comes up with a fresh idea to rejig the team structure, because as of now we're playing right into the opponents' hands – lots of possession and spending a lot effort to press without cutting edge in attack and leaving huge gaps with disinterested defenders in behind. Frankly you'd want to play against this kind of opponent every week.

I'm fucked if I know what to do without Jota and Thiago (and Matip/Konate), but I'd be tempted to solidify the backline and save Fabinho's legs a bit.

Allison
-
Gomez
Fabinho
Vvd
Robbo
-
Trent
Henderson
Fabio
-
Elliott
Salah
Diaz

Last edited:
I'm fucked if I know what to do without Jota and Thiago (and Matip/Konate), but I'd be tempted to solidify the backline and save Fabinho's legs a bit.

Allison
-
Gomez
Fabinho
Vvd
Robbo
-
Trent
Henderson
Fabio
-
Elliott
Diaz
Salah

Worth a punt.

4-2-2-2 next match? Hendo and Fabs in front of the back 4 and Harvey and Fab C in front. Uptop Diaz and Salah

I don't see the point moving Trent up into midfield where his passing in tight spaces has been and continues to be mediocre, but it might be worth a punt if only to end his masquerade as a defender.

Allison
-
Gomez
Fabinho
Vvd
Robbo
-
Trent
Henderson
Fabio
-
Elliott
Diaz
Salah
Klopp rejects any calls to play Trent in midfield even though when we're in possesion Trent is essentially playing on the right of the midfield three. This leaves him continually exposed to the ball in behind as he's not only upfield when we lose the ball but further in from the touchline than a full back or wing back would usually be. And his one on one defending is questionable too.
You're right that it's hard to change his position when the new young right back isn't fit and hasn't played at all for us yet and Matip/Konate are both unavailable. Gomez can't play in two positions at once. Playing Fabinho at centre half would be risky when he's been dogshit in his favoured position for the 3 games so far.
Added to those problems is Van Dijk's sudden vulnerability and I don't know what's going on with Robertson but he doesn't look right either. Tough times ahead it seems.

I guess there isn't much else to say that hasn't already been said. It's three games into the season and it's a write off already (though I was kinda prepared for that before it even started).

There were deals to be had over the summer and we seemingly weren't interested. Even if we do decide to dip into the market - which I think we won't because we're stubborn - it'll all feel a bit desperate (largely because it is).

The scary thing is that Klopp doesn't really have many options to change things as things stand. I just hope he finally makes some tough decisions. Better late than never I guess.

We need to get our shit together and quickly otherwise top 4 might also seem out of reach and then we really can forget about Bellingham and whoever the fuck else we're sat on our hands waiting for.

Bobby can’t start a league game for us again. It’s like starting with 10 men when he starts.

Gomez is rightly the 4th choice centre half.

Mo needs to return that pay rise because it’s been too easy for the fullbacks to keep him out of the match

See you in 2023 then, if the season is a write off after 3 games in.
The league is most likely gone when we get going but we can deffo win a cup or two when Klopp sorts this mess.

Pretty strange post-match interview as well from Klopp, trying to sound positive, but ending up looking almost delusional. Says we deserved to win and there were many positive aspects of the performance. He did say he's concerned about the injury situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom