• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Friday Night Lights - Norwich (H) - Pre Match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Here we go. Football is back at Anfield and we welcome Premier League returners Norwich back to Anfield. It looks like everyone bar Mane is fit and available which is epic.

For me we need to start with a positive midfield that can dominate and unlock what I expect to be a stubborn defence with an experienced GK behind them.

--------------Alisson------------
TAA---Gomez--VVD---Robbo
---------------Fabs----------------
---------Gini------Keita----------
Salah-----Firmino----Origi

Potential competition for places:

• Matip for Gomez. I think Joe got the nod vs City due to his pace. Matip looked composed when he came on. I wouldn't be upset with either starting but I want Joe to get back to his best at CB.
  • Hendo for Keita. The second half worked well when Hendo got placed further afield, and he was great there, but I think Keita is better suited to that position. Who better to start off against than Norwich. I also wouldn't be against Ox starting instead of Keita here.
Can't wait for this.

I wouldn’t put that much of statement about Manè. Isn’t he due back today so that gives him 4 sessions before the game. His levels wouldn’t have dropped too much during his time off.

I wouldn’t put that much of statement about Manè. Isn’t he due back today so that gives him 4 sessions before the game. His levels wouldn’t have dropped too much during his time off.

True but Klopp has been quite loud in the press about one of Mane's team mates from AFCON getting 4 weeks holiday so I wonder whether he feels he should rest him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have him on the bench for Norwich, leave him out of the Super Cup so that he can rest throughout the week and have him ready for Southampton on the 17th. Obviously i'd love him back immediately, but it is worth protecting him, especially when we have so many other players who can rotate for these first couple of games.

Mane is back in training today I think, and as Klopp said the other day: he’s naturally fit, dosent drink or eat to much and has a training programme.
He’ll return ready to go. Doubt we’ll see him on the bench but he could feature against Chelsea next week.

As for Norwich, think it will be Matip and Hendo for Gomez and Gini.

It’s not like Mane hasn’t been training all summer at the AFCON, or that there’s been any shift in tactics or personnel for him to get used to - but he’s probably better off starting on the bench.

Given that a Henderson is Captain and fit - I don’t see how he doesn’t start, so Keita on the bench.

I’d probably go with the team that started against City - maybe Matip in for Gomez - but not much else other than having Henderson play a little further forward than Gini.

I don't think a midfield 3 of Henderson Fabinho Gini is creative enough.

We are at home to Norwich surely we can go with more expressive players

The team from op looks ok but i cant see klopp dropping the captain for the first game. Norwich will park the bus. i hope mane can play

Alisson Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson Fabinho Keita Ox Salah Origi Firmino

But I reckon he'll opt for the same shit midfield of Hendo Wijnaldum and Milner

I'd go with that as well.

Harsh on Gini.

I don’t think Keita has done enough to warrant a regular starting position yet this season - he might actually benefit from being the 65th min sub - when he can run at teams as they tire.

Harsh on Gini.

I don’t think Keita has done enough to warrant a regular starting position yet this season - he might actually benefit from being the 65th min sub - when he can run at teams as they tire.

That's all true – but for this particular game, with Norwich likely to sit back, I think having a midfielder who takes more risks to advance the ball might be beneficial. Keita's best games last season came against the likes of Burnley with their more agricultural midfield that Naby was able to bypass with ease.

Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita
Yeah that would be mine too. Hendo isn't going to run through a packed defence, given more space he's good at getting in behind and linking up with Mo and Bobby but if he gets picked for this it's because he's captain and not because he's the best man for this particular job. Gini, Keita, Ox all better for this game (maybe even Elliot too the way he can go past players) ! ;)

--------------------Alisson----------------------
--Trent-----Matip-------VVD------Robertson
--------------------Fabinho-------------------
--------Henderson----------Keita-----------
-------------------Firmino---------------
---Salah-------------------------Origi-------

Not convinced by Origi wide. It pushes him away from the box which is really where he's any use. He's not bad in the open field, but he's hardly slick. I wonder if Chamberlain could potentially be useful and alternative left-winger forward this window?

Alisson
Trent
Gomez
VVD
Robertson
Fabinho
Hendo
Gini
Salah
Firmino
Origi

Adrian
Mane
Keita
Lovern
Matip
Ox
Shaqiri

If you compare the two squads, historical results, tactical set up, levels of early season fitness, etc - there really is only one conclusion you can reach.

There’s no way we’re winning this one.

Anyone familiar with Norwich and their current style of play? They used to be a bit gung-ho in their previous EPL stint, which resulted in some high-scoring games against us.

First games of the season are generally tough tight games so any win will do.

Hopefully Salah remembers where the net is.

I’d go with Matip as he is better at carrying the ball forward and drawing defenders. Henderson will start as captain.

Great that the season is up and running again.

Finally the season starts and all the hard pre season work can pay off. It has been 4 weeks where I have tried to build up the form with a lot of Beer and booze and for some sessions even multiple bottles of fullbodied redwine to ensure that I am capable of lasting the whole season. I have stood firm and even if some session has left me on the verge of puking of exaustment I have shown great disiplin and cautiosly followed the program step by step. Drink by drink. No shortcuts to success this season. This week is all about tuning in the freshness so I am ready for Friday night where I can easily have a few early beers acompanied by aquevit without being smashed early on. I feel we are on to a very good season, and I do encourage this "winter break" were we can enjoy some quantity training again to be ready for the run in.

First games of the season are generally tough tight games so any win will do.

Hopefully Salah remembers where the net is.

I’d go with Matip as he is better at carrying the ball forward and drawing defenders. Henderson will start as captain.

Great that the season is up and running again.
Actually it seems it's the opposite (4-3 Arsenal?). Players make more mistakes and tire. Another high scoring game, 3 or 4-1 win.

They seemed to funnel all of their play through a single striker (Pukki) with a couple of wingers chipping in. Even though they stormed the league in the end, they conceded more than all of the others around them.

They've loaned in Fahrmann from Shalke who i think will replace Tim Krul but I can't see anything else of note transfer wise for them.

Anyone familiar with Norwich and their current style of play? They used to be a bit gung-ho in their previous EPL stint, which resulted in some high-scoring games against us.
I don't watch much lower League football these days but have been reading some opinions of Norwich fans who seem to think that their defence is their biggest worry this season as they looked vulnerable on occasions last season in the championship and haven't strengthened it for the premier League.

With this in mind, if Mané doesn't play, we should play an attack-minded midfield and get at them....

Ox-Chamberlain - Fabinho - Keita

I know this won't happen because Henderson is sure to start IMO. As long as we have plenty of attacking options from the bench we shouldn't (hopefully) struggle to break them down.

I'll be a bit annoyed if we don't go out to make a statement and play a conservative midfield three. At times last year we saw the formula of one attacking mid in that trio meant we could unlock stubborn teams, I think we need to be doing that from game 1 this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom